Matt's Sunrise Safari Report - Breakfast on the Jungle Cruise!!

Wow! What an awesome experience! Thank you so much for sharing

We could never drop that much cash for a breakfast (albeit, an incredible stellar one). Heck, we haven't been to DLR since 2013 because we budget and save for it. Actually, we were supposed to leave tomorrow, but it got delayed due to illness. April 2016 it is!

I love reading trip reports, and living vicariously through everyone until I get to return

The 750 is superior for pretty much all scenarios except landscape/portrait work. The 810 is less than ergonomic, has weird card configuration (1 CF, 1 SD), and just generally isn't a preferred body. Unless you need ridiculous megapixel, there's simply no benefit to it over the 750. From everything I've read the 750 is pretty much the best body to have short of the D(x) line. I'm using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-14-24mm...?ie=UTF8&qid=1443741351&sr=8-1&keywords=14-24

And outside of the 50mm f/1.4 D on the body, here's what I take with me on my family trips:

DSC_3443%20(Large).jpg

L->R
85mm f/1.4G
70-200mm f/2.8G VRII
24-70 f/2.8G (best all around lens in the world)
14-24 f/2.8G
24mm f/1.4G

Thanks for the info. We still need to go to the camera shop and try out stuff. I hadn't realized the 810 was so weird. We haven't bought a new DSLR in so long, maybe 10 years. We have a D200 that we like, but the megapixels are so low now. The lens keeps locking up, even though we had it cleaned by Nikon. The first Formula 1 race in Austin was really dusty, and it started acting up then. Plus, we would like something faster and some different configurations.

We could never drop that much cash for a breakfast (albeit, an incredible stellar one).

A good tip to drop the cost in half is to leave your spouse at home ;)

Heck, we haven't been to DLR since 2013 because we budget and save for it.

I have to budget and save too.... let me tell you this next trip is going to be a DOOZEY!!! I kept thinking I'd be able to keep it around reasonable, but it's going a good 1-2k over budget at this point because we keep adding activities/tours/dining experiences and premium experiences. Oh well, it's really our only vacation, so might as well do it up to the max.

A good tip to drop the cost in half is to leave your spouse at home ;)

I have to budget and save too.... let me tell you this next trip is going to be a DOOZEY!!! I kept thinking I'd be able to keep it around reasonable, but it's going a good 1-2k over budget at this point because we keep adding activities/tours/dining experiences and premium experiences. Oh well, it's really our only vacation, so might as well do it up to the max.

Do you do all of the cost-saving tricks, buying gift cards, etc? It's very easy to save 12%, or more if you want to work hard at it.

Do you do all of the cost-saving tricks, buying gift cards, etc? It's very easy to save 12%, or more if you want to work hard at it.
Not really. We spend an absurd amount every month on the Disney Rewards Visa (paid off every month), so that helps. I think between our Spring Dapper Day trip and now we accumulated $750 worth of rewards dollars, so that's a good 15% of the total cost of the upcoming trip. I'm also buying APs for the family, so that's a cost-saver as we'll go again in the fall. My PAP discount helps too on things and I did get a smoking hotel deal this time because I expressed dissatisfaction with the condition of my room on my last stay.

I agree! Might as well do it up! I was planning to pack lunch and all snacks and all that, but let's get real. Since we don't get to go often, we might as well treat ourselves. And we do spoil the kids a bit and get more souvenirs than we should.

Has anyone tried booking over the phone and having more availability vs. what's online? My date has 2 spots, and I need 4....haven't called, was wondering if there was any success doing that.

Has anyone tried booking over the phone and having more availability vs. what's online? My date has 2 spots, and I need 4....haven't called, was wondering if there was any success doing that.
I'm reasonably certain that the availability is holding true. Curious though I was told we would have a full crew of 32, but only ended up with 29 per my count.

I'm reasonably certain that the availability is holding true. Curious though I was told we would have a full crew of 32, but only ended up with 29 per my count.
We'll...I have four days that could work. At one point, 4 spots were open on my Tuesday, and I didn't jump on it. Then all four days were completely booked, but yesterday 2 spots opened up on my Monday. I'm sort of leaving it to fate that if I look and 4 spots became available I would snag the reservation. In my mind though I'm wondering if two people canceled that Monday, or if Disney released two more spots....hmmm. If so, what other spots might they be holding out on, and would a phone call work? If I break down and call, and it's different than online availability, I'll update...

We'll...I have four days that could work. At one point, 4 spots were open on my Tuesday, and I didn't jump on it. Then all four days were completely booked, but yesterday 2 spots opened up on my Monday. I'm sort of leaving it to fate that if I look and 4 spots became available I would snag the reservation. In my mind though I'm wondering if two people canceled that Monday, or if Disney released two more spots....hmmm. If so, what other spots might they be holding out on, and would a phone call work? If I break down and call, and it's different than online availability, I'll update...
I'd call anyway and see what they can do. I'm fairly certain they cap it at 32 attendees per day.

Great TR and photos! Looks like it was well worth the $300.

Loved the podcast! I'd love to hear you relate more experiences on the show. You're a good story teller!

You beat me to it! Everyone, listen to Matt, in his own words, tell about this very cool experience.
Thanks for having me on Mary Jo! You and Tom were great hosts and I had a blast recounting my experience.
Great pod cast, Matt!!
Thanks N. It was a great time.
Loved the podcast! I'd love to hear you relate more experiences on the show. You're a good story teller!
I'd love to go on the show at some point in the future. While I may not have much special to share, I certainly have some great Disneyland experience. There will be a bunch of firsts for me on my trip in 3 days. Maybe a review of the Mahaloween Luau’ I'll be attending?

Enjoyed the podcast. Thanks for sharing with us!
Glad I could share.

Doh I realized when I was listening to it I called it the African Elephant Bathing Pool.... It's Indian Elephant bathing pool. Ugh... stage fright.

Doh I realized when I was listening to it I called it the African Elephant Bathing Pool.... It's Indian Elephant bathing pool. Ugh... stage fright.
Oh, I didn't even notice! LOL!! I was too busy visualizing your experience. :) Are you doing the Trader Sam's Mahaloween Luau??! Please post pics and a report. I'm curious about this one as Trader Sam's is one of my favorite spots!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter