Maybe it's just me...

It would be fine if they added upcharge events without taking away from those that choose not to participate, but that's not the case. The "best" fireworks viewing spots that used to be free to anyone? Not anymore. Park hours that used to be included in your ticket? Now shortened for parties. Less crowded times of year so shorter wait times? Nope, now they run at less capacity. I definitely feel like it affects those that choose not to pay for "extras".

I’m going for the first time in October, and these kind of threads (plus Tuesday’s podcast, and other places that express the same sentiment) really scare me. I’m not saying that people’s experiences are not valid, and I’ve worked in the Disney Store so I do understand the expectations of good service that Disney creates.

We are going for 4 weeks on what was intended to be a once in a lifetime trip. I get very worried when I hear how many long-term visitors are being turned off, because this trip is very expensive and we will be there for a long time - if I want to leave after 5 days, we can’t!

I’m hoping that, because I don’t remember the “good old days”, that I will still enjoy the trip and not notice the drop in standards that so many regulars are frustrated by.

Don’t be worried; seriously. If you took all the negatives written on these boards at face value, you would think it’s a miserable place but it’s not. Heck, I thought for sure Chef Mickey’s would be terrible after reading the awful reviews here but guess what? My family loved it enough to make it a regular staple. You would think the park is filthy and crawling with miserable cast members but that’s definitely not true either. You are going to have a fantastic time!

While I don't mean to be a debbie-downer, I will be realistic.

I worked for the Disney Store as a Cast Lead for 3 years until 2014, and I have noticed that the level of guest service that we provided at the store vastly outweighed anything I received (or saw others receiving) at the parks, especially up to present. I have been very underwhelmed, and at times frustrated, with the guest service I've received - especially since I understand exactly what expectations are set and should be upheld.

I truly hope that you will have a wonderful trip. I know I was for several years, but as of late had only been able to spend a couple hours in a park at a time, as the experience was becoming less-than-magical. Some of the things I took note of during my trips did make me realize that the quality Disney provides has been on a steady decline. For the first time ever I've noticed how filthy the rides have become, especially in Magic Kingdom. Disney's transportation is not as reliable, and especially in the case of the Monorails, are broken more often than functioning. Most of all, the horrible crowding and subsequent wait times makes it difficult to enjoy a full day at the park without spending most of it standing. (You know it's bad when Animal Kingdom's minimum wait time is 120 minutes and it's a Thursday.)

That’s really interesting, and sad too, that the CM standards appear to be higher in the stores. I loved my time in the Disney Store, even over Christmas when Buzz Lightyear was THE toy and people were camped overnight outside the mall on days when we were expecting deliveries. I guess I’m not totally surprised that this is the case, given the current CM pay disputes, because when I worked in the Store we got paid very well, about 3 times what my friends were getting in pubs and other stores. Clearly that has been lost at some point, because I remember Disney being an amazing employer.

I do appreciate your perspective, and I think you are being realistic, not a downer, so thank you for sharing your experiences. The crowd manipulation issues are very troubling, and the lack of cleanliness you mention is inexcusable. We have enough time that we shouldn’t have to rush for much, but even so, we definitely need to be prepared for the volume of people.

Although this conversation probably belongs better on the community board, I just had to chime in here. I'm about as regular a visitor as one gets without living in Florida. I've been going over 3 decades now; if you go to have fun, and to spend time with your family, to make memories, and learn to balance planning with going with the flow, you will have a ball. It's Disney World! I remember "the good ol' days" and here's the truth from my POV; they really were not that different than now. Disney has it's ups and downs; sometimes it goes through a streak where the parks are less than immaculate, sometimes there's bad weather, sometimes rides break down, etc... etc... but through the years I've seen them respond to that over time. Sure I've ran into a handful of grumpy CM's, but that's over 30 plus years and most CM's are really good workers, and some are fantastic with great senses of humor.

Take breaks on your vacation when you need to take breaks, as being there a month is a long trip. Don't get so wore out and tired of it that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of anxiety and dread. lol Go have fun, it is still there!

That’s a very good point - I need to try to manage my expectations without becoming so anxious that I let that being a self-fulfilling prophecy. We are lucky in that we have plenty of time so can take breaks, and go at a slower pace. Thank you!

Yes!! We are going in August and are beginning to get bummed out. I recommend people look at the Trip Reports forum who are getting bummed out, and see all of the overwhelmingly positive experiences guests are having.
This exactly! We are going this August as well and we haven't been since Aug 2015. I've been sitting over here reading some of the posts on here like, have things really changed that much? Are we going to have a horrible time? But I also went over and started reading trip reports and it's helped to make my outlook positive again. I'm appreciative for that, because I really was starting to get bummed.

This exactly! We are going this August as well and we haven't been since Aug 2015. I've been sitting over here reading some of the posts on here like, have things really changed that much? Are we going to have a horrible time? But I also went over and started reading trip reports and it's helped to make my outlook positive again. I'm appreciative for that, because I really was starting to get bummed.

I have faith you will love it! Just experience it through your own eyes-not what everyone on here is mentioning as a negative.

Don’t be worried; seriously. If you took all the negatives written on these boards at face value, you would think it’s a miserable place but it’s not. Heck, I thought for sure Chef Mickey’s would be terrible after reading the awful reviews here but guess what? My family loved it enough to make it a regular staple. You would think the park is filthy and crawling with miserable cast members but that’s definitely not true either. You are going to have a fantastic time!

Thank you! That’s really good to know about Chef Mickey, too, because that’s one of the places that I thought my young nieces would enjoy but which I dropped after so many negative reports here and on the podcast. Maybe I need to reassess.

It would be fine if they added upcharge events without taking away from those that choose not to participate, but that's not the case. The "best" fireworks viewing spots that used to be free to anyone? Not anymore. Park hours that used to be included in your ticket? Now shortened for parties. Less crowded times of year so shorter wait times? Nope, now they run at less capacity. I definitely feel like it affects those that choose not to pay for "extras".

Yes!!!

I also think the underlying issue of this and several other threads, as well as Tuesdays discussion, is that the cost is going way up (many would argue to unsustainable levels for many), and the quality is skyrocketing downwards.

I would not agree the quality is going way down, but there is a definite decline in quality. Myself and my family are not especially high maintenance or picky people, and received FP's three times last trip (8 days) due to serious service issues (i.e. taking 45 minutes to get into Typhoon Lagoon due to ticket issues and inept staff, or HALF the attractions being down in Epcot). This decline, which is not a huge deal in my opinion, coupled with a big increase in cost is causing the problem.

Also, I think in the case of my family, since we are three able bodied adults, it is not an issue to
'go with the flow'. We simply hopped on the monorail to MK with fresh FP's in hand. For those with children or mobility issues this might be more of an issue. Also, my understanding is a child may take a ride not being available much harder than an adult (I know nothing about children). Therefore, we can adapt to issues that arise which ease, which is a luxury many groups cannot afford.

Going to Disney is a privilege, not a right. There are lots of exotic vacations I would love to take, but not all of them are in my budget. If I can't afford it, I don't go...plain and simple. I don't complain that those destinations should be "affordable to everyone". Is there a greed factor on the part of Iger? Maybe. But at the end of the day it's supply and demand. They can only charge what people are willing to pay. There is a whole thread of people on here who are anxiously awaiting the release of dessert packages for the summer....they are clearly willing and able to pay what is being charged. There are also plenty of people who aren't willing or able...and that's ok too.
Well I for one do think Disney should be affordable for teachers. And I do spend a lot of time working with them on their budgets and figuring out how they can take their kids. And Disney is GREEDY there is no nice way to say it. I am spending 3X's what I spent in 2006. And when we do have another economic downturn just watch how fast Disney's board convinces Iger to retire for his health as they try to figure out how to get people back to the parks. They could easily have gone down the middle raising prices on the deluxe's and adding their upcharges while keeping basic tickets and value resorts at a fairly decent value. One of the forensic accountants in my building said he thought they were working on a 30 to 35% profit margin at the least.

We started taking our kids in 2003- 25 trips later I am feeling disillusioned. Don't get me wrong, I love being at Disney but I've seen things change- and not in a good way

EMH- reduced so you can have more upselk extra hours. Now offered to some off site guests also

Resort prices have become ridiculous and have more than doubled since we started coming. Now of course I don't expect them to stay the same for 15 years- but doubled?

DDP- was a great plan when it first started. Included appetizer and gratuity at a reasonable price. Now we only get it if we do free dining

Fireworks dessert party was originally $30 a person. Now that it's become popular it's $60 per person. Again doubled

We are going in August but this is the first trip ever where I don't have that "can't wait" feeling
I could have written this post. It truly makes me sad. :(

Yes!!!

I also think the underlying issue of this and several other threads, as well as Tuesdays discussion, is that the cost is going way up (many would argue to unsustainable levels for many), and the quality is skyrocketing downwards.

I would not agree the quality is going way down, but there is a definite decline in quality. Myself and my family are not especially high maintenance or picky people, and received FP's three times last trip (8 days) due to serious service issues (i.e. taking 45 minutes to get into Typhoon Lagoon due to ticket issues and inept staff, or HALF the attractions being down in Epcot). This decline, which is not a huge deal in my opinion, coupled with a big increase in cost is causing the problem.

Also, I think in the case of my family, since we are three able bodied adults, it is not an issue to
'go with the flow'. We simply hopped on the monorail to MK with fresh FP's in hand. For those with children or mobility issues this might be more of an issue. Also, my understanding is a child may take a ride not being available much harder than an adult (I know nothing about children). Therefore, we can adapt to issues that arise which ease, which is a luxury many groups cannot afford.

I like your attitude of going with the flow. While we do have some disabilities in our group, I still think we will be able to be flexible enough to cope with problems without it ruining our trip. Maybe my expectations are too low, but there is there is nothing that I absolutely must see or my trip will be ruined. Mostly, though, our long trip length means that if there is a problem with one park, it shouldn’t be a disaster because we can go elsewhere - I know many people will only have one day in each park, so if things go wrong then they may not get to ride that iconic attraction. It definitely is a huge luxury to be able to have that flexibility.

I'm glad this insight was shared, as I now know that it's our fault as consumers that Disney has cut corners and benefits and is no longer providing an exceptional product. My bad. :)

Well, in a way it is... :laughing:

Disney is not a charity.

Disney is not an essential service whose offerings can be regulated by gov't to ensure everyone gets a piece.

Disney is a hugely successful, popular entertainment industry that is working hard to ensure continued success.

Any company that wants to survive long term is going to try to find that sweet spot between how little they can spend in order to ensure maximum profit. If you don't feel Disney provides you with an "exceptional product", then you need to stop purchasing their product.

Me, I'm still very happy and quite excited about my vacations. So, I'll keep giving Disney my business. Based on the crowds, it appears most people do feel the same as I do - that we're getting value for our money. Yes, some things that I enjoyed have gone away, but there's a great deal that's new, and so I keep coming back. (The Arts Festival was SO much fun last January!)

I've been on these boards for over a decade now. It hasn't changed. Disney is never as good as it used to be in the good ol' days. It's always horrible and greedy and an awful place to visit.

I used to be surprised that people would hang out on these boards just to complain bitterly about how much they aren't looking forward to their vacations. But then I realized that it's true of every fandom - the most avid fans are always the harshest critics. I was on a Doctor Who board for awhile, and based on posts there, the modern TV series was the biggest pile of steaming ick to hit TV screens since the TV was invented. I had to stop hanging out there, because it was actually souring me on my favourite show. And I wanted to just go back to having a good time!

Anyone remember when Disney phased out the Mickey-themed paper napkins and replaced them with plain brown recycled napkins? You'd have thought the world was ending! :laughing:

Here is my perspective on it all. Sometimes what Disney gives us is worth more than the money that we pay them. On Jan. 1, 2012, my mom passed away from cancer. It was the darkest time in my life. She was my best friend to the core and when she left, she took a big part of me with her. I've always been a huge Disney fan since I was a little kid although I didn't get to DW until I was 20. I was also a CM at a Disney Store for awhile. I decided the fall after my mom passed away, that we just needed to get away from everyday life, take a breather. We went towards the end of Sept 2012. I can't tell you what my life was before that day, from when my mom passed to that trip. I have no memories of that time, that is how bad it was for me. It was like being locked in a dark room without the key to get out.

Some may find this cheesy but we're all Disney fans here, so I hope not. When I stepped back into that park with my kids for the first time, something inside of me came alive again. It was like feeling the sun on my face for the first time. I was able to smile and feel happy again, but most of all, I could feel my mom there with us. That to me, is true Disney magic. To me, that feeling is priceless and it's still the feeling I have every time that I'm there. Heck, it's the feeling when I think of going there. And as long as Disney keeps giving me that feeling, I will keep going. It's special to me.

Here is my perspective on it all. Sometimes what Disney gives us is worth more than the money that we pay them. On Jan. 1, 2012, my mom passed away from cancer. It was the darkest time in my life. She was my best friend to the core and when she left, she took a big part of me with her. I've always been a huge Disney fan since I was a little kid although I didn't get to DW until I was 20. I was also a CM at a Disney Store for awhile. I decided the fall after my mom passed away, that we just needed to get away from everyday life, take a breather. We went towards the end of Sept 2012. I can't tell you what my life was before that day, from when my mom passed to that trip. I have no memories of that time, that is how bad it was for me. It was like being locked in a dark room without the key to get out.

Some may find this cheesy but we're all Disney fans here, so I hope not. When I stepped back into that park with my kids for the first time, something inside of me came alive again. It was like feeling the sun on my face for the first time. I was able to smile and feel happy again, but most of all, I could feel my mom there with us. That to me, is true Disney magic. To me, that feeling is priceless and it's still the feeling I have every time that I'm there. Heck, it's the feeling when I think of going there. And as long as Disney keeps giving me that feeling, I will keep going. It's special to me.

That is really lovely. I’m so sorry about your mom.

That’s a very good point - I need to try to manage my expectations without becoming so anxious that I let that being a self-fulfilling prophecy. We are lucky in that we have plenty of time so can take breaks, and go at a slower pace. Thank you!

Just wanted to say my 2 cents.

My last trip was in 2015. Before I went to MNSSHP, people on this board had me scared to death I'd be waiting in hour long lines all night. The "crowd reports" were INSANE. I was almost depressed about what we were going into. But when we got there I was like "wth is wrong with those people?" lol. It was GREAT. The crowds were VERY low. We rode rides back to back to back with no line at all. We did everything we wanted to do in AK in 3 hours (kilimanjaro, everest x 2, Dinosaur, Cali, shopped, and more). It was an amazing trip. Now, summer months are more brutal yes. But do-able.

I always giggle when I read the comments about how awful the crowds were and think to myself.....'they must not have went in the 80's and 90's lol. THAT was a brutal time.

I could cry reading your entire post. It’s sad and yet beautiful and hopeful all at once. You put it so eloquently. Yes. Yes. All of this. I haven’t suffered the tragedy you have (for which you have my deepest sympathies) but I have crippling anxiety and depression that I try so hard to fight and something, something about Disney takes away that pain and lets me be “normal” and happy and not a nervous wreck of fear and obsessive compulsive disorder and trying not to let my anxiety rule my life. That makes Disney worth it’s wait in gold to me. I love what you said because I get it. “It was like feeling the sun on my face for the first time.” Yes. All of this. And I don’t mean to discount your pain over the loss of your mom, because I know it’s not the same at all, but I wanted you to know I understand. :love::grouphug:

If prices were lower Disney would be overrun. Imagine if tickets were $50 a day. There would be double the people. What if a deluxe resort were $200 a night year round? You would never get a room! Balance people...balance.

Now I do think Disney prices are getting crazy and what goes up must come down. One day they will hit a wall and have to give the awesome deals they used to give but it won't stop the add ons. Add ons that you don't have to buy.

Honestly Disney is a pricey vacation. I do love Disney but I also like to try new places. I surely can get way more bang for my buck on other vacations so Disney isn't our only vacation destination. We haven't been since August 2015 and DD12 and I are going for Jersey Week. I'm a bit afraid of the crowds but to heck with it. We are going to have fun NO MATTER WHAT!

I legit got tears in my eyes when reading that. My last trip with my mother was in 2009. We have a MM photo with myself, my mom, and my 2 boys all holding our arms out in front of the castle. In 2012 I wanted to go back to Disney again and take her with us but money was too tight. In Feb 2013 she found out she had cancer and in Sept 2013 she passed away. I was crushed. In 2015 I went back to DW with my bf and a friend. It was hard because I wanted my mom there. Her favorite ride was HM and I thought about her each time I rode it. We did a halloween dessert party that night and I got up from the table to go stand at the rail. As the fireworks began, I was just standing there with tears because I really wanted her there.

A CM walked up behind me. A lady who looked to be about the same age as my mom. I turned to her and smiled but felt silly that she saw me crying. She said "Hi. I'm Gail from Tennessee. My husband died and I needed to get away to find happiness in life so I moved here to work at Disney."

My mother's name was Gail and we are from Tennessee. My father had died 5 months prior to my mom.

I wanted SO bad to tell that lady what her comments meant to me but I couldn't because I'd have never been able to share my story with her without sobbing. I have no idea if she still works there or not but she made me feel what magic was supposed to feel like that night and she never even knew it.

I am so sorry for your loss. My mother-in-law died a little over a year ago, and I miss her very much.

We never got to take her to Disney, but she was always incredibly supportive of our trips and excited to hear how they went. We used to Skype her from our hotel room every night. My brother-in-law managed to take her on a cruise, before she got too sick to leave the country. We were planning to take her to Niagara Falls, but that didn't happen.

There is something really wonderful about how much she seemed to be a part of our last trip. "Your mother would have liked this!" "Ah, I can hear your mother now..." It was really good to be able to finally talk about her and reminisce, a year later, without worrying about hurting anyone or making them feel worse.

It's funny, but Universal, while a wonderful place to visit, doesn't make me think of family in the same way. It's something about the nostalgia of Disney, that makes family seem near, even after they've left us.

I legit got tears in my eyes when reading that. My last trip with my mother was in 2009. We have a MM photo with myself, my mom, and my 2 boys all holding our arms out in front of the castle. In 2012 I wanted to go back to Disney again and take her with us but money was too tight. In Feb 2013 she found out she had cancer and in Sept 2013 she passed away. I was crushed. In 2015 I went back to DW with my bf and a friend. It was hard because I wanted my mom there. Her favorite ride was HM and I thought about her each time I rode it. We did a halloween dessert party that night and I got up from the table to go stand at the rail. As the fireworks began, I was just standing there with tears because I really wanted her there.

A CM walked up behind me. A lady who looked to be about the same age as my mom. I turned to her and smiled but felt silly that she saw me crying. She said "Hi. I'm Gail from Tennessee. My husband died and I needed to get away to find happiness in life so I moved here to work at Disney."

My mother's name was Gail and we are from Tennessee. My father had died 5 months prior to my mom.

I wanted SO bad to tell that lady what her comments meant to me but I couldn't because I'd have never been able to share my story with her without sobbing. I have no idea if she still works there or not but she made me feel what magic was supposed to feel like that night and she never even knew it.
Beautiful story! I love the ways that they show us that they're still with us. What a special memory to always have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter