Monorail may be inspected by DOT if new bill gets passed

The TDR monorail is larger if my memory is not playing tricks on me, which is possible. I believe the cars are wider than those at WDW.

WDW can't easily make their monorails wider because of clearance issues along the tracks and especially in the stations at the resorts. They might be able to add a car or two to each train increase the passenger capacity. I don't know if the stations can handle longer trains though.

I thought that the primary concern is that the vehicles are old (30+ years) and that they seem to break down. I suppose the resolution would be to purchase completely new monorail cars, although I suppose the existing cars have been modified and rebuilt over the years. But certainly if management wanted to, they could simply buy new cars from Bombardier or Von Roll.

The Disneyland Monorail is clearly not a commercial off the shelf design, and the companies they've chosen to manufacture/remanufacture the equipment aren't necessarily in the monorail business.

I thought that the primary concern is that the vehicles are old (30+ years) and that they seem to break down. I suppose the resolution would be to purchase completely new monorail cars, although I suppose the existing cars have been modified and rebuilt over the years. But certainly if management wanted to, they could simply buy new cars from Bombardier or Von Roll.

The Disneyland Monorail is clearly not a commercial off the shelf design, and the companies they've chosen to manufacture/remanufacture the equipment aren't necessarily in the monorail business.
Monorail purchase would be a straight forward CAPEX for sure. Shouldn’t be an issue to get almost train companies in a bidding war for the project either.

Just goes to show Disney must not think it’s at all necessary, and in my experience with maintaining machines and riding the rail, I tend to agree.

But certainly if management wanted to, they could simply buy new cars from Bombardier or Von Roll.
There was some discussion a few years ago (10+?) that Bombardier, the manufacturer of the current WDW monorails is no longer in that business.

There was some discussion a few years ago (10+?) that Bombardier, the manufacturer of the current WDW monorails is no longer in that business.

They've gone in and out of any number of businesses so it can get confusing. I thought they were still in the business, but it looks like it's now completely by Alstom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innovia_Monorail

It looks like the current WDW cars were custom made by Bombardier, but then became the basis for an off the shelf system (Innovia Monorail) that was built under license by several companies and/or partnerships. But there are similar systems available, and I'm thinking WDW could go for that if they need new cars.

I mean, objectively it is much nicer, in the way the Disneyland Hotel is much nicer than say, the Best Western. But that doesn't mean the WDW one is bad. It's simply a different type of monorail. TDR one looks bigger too so that would help with the nicer vibe, but that might just be the photos.
Another point is that TDR monorail is, essentially, a ride. It's not really used as public transportation, not like the WDW monorail. It loops from Downtown Disney to Tomorrowland, which is easily walkable; it doesn't have anywhere near the number of riders as the WDW monorails nor see the same amount of use.

Another point is that TDR monorail is, essentially, a ride. It's not really used as public transportation, not like the WDW monorail. It loops from Downtown Disney to Tomorrowland, which is easily walkable; it doesn't have anywhere near the number of riders as the WDW monorails nor see the same amount of use.
Really? I thought for sure at least it looped to the hotels. No wonder it's so pretty.

Really? I thought for sure at least it looped to the hotels. No wonder it's so pretty.
Nope. It goes past the Grand Californian but does not stop. The Downtown Disney station is on the site of the original station for the Disneyland Hotel (but the monorail was still exterior to the hotel, unlike the Contemporary) before they demolished much of the old hotel and moved its footprint to make way for Downtown Disney; the current Disneyland Hotel is about a 10 minute walk away (depending on what tower you're in) from the monorail and you need to clear Downtown Disney security to get to it.

The Downtown Disney (formerly Disneyland Hotel) station is technically a park entrance. Once you're on the monorail you're considered in the park and need to present an admission ticket/pass/etc and perhaps the reentry stamp.

It absolutely passes through the Grand Californian. I remember it was my day off of work, I had traveled down to Anaheim, but I was still attending a video meeting and trying to find the quietest place I could, starting from the esplanade picnic tables and walking through. I ended up in the Brisa Courtyard at the Grand Californian. At least for a while it was pretty quiet and there was no piped in music like almost everywhere else, although there was a moderate level of music later. There were a lot of hotel employees passing through, but they were fairly quiet and nobody told me I had to leave. But the thing that happened periodically was that they monorail came through. And they even mention that in their wedding venue description.

• Periodically, the monorail passes by overhead, reminding you and your guests that you're experiencing one of the happiest moments of your life at the Happiest Place on Earth.
421d1832ec06f2c69c555746f5a88eab.jpg

It absolutely passes through the Grand Californian. I remember it was my day off of work, I had traveled down to Anaheim, but I was still attending a video meeting and trying to find the quietest place I could, starting from the esplanade picnic tables and walking through. I ended up in the Brisa Courtyard at the Grand Californian. At least for a while it was pretty quiet and there was no piped in music like almost everywhere else, although there was a moderate level of music later. There were a lot of hotel employees passing through, but they were fairly quiet and nobody told me I had to leave. But the thing that happened periodically was that they monorail came through. And they even mention that in their wedding venue description.

• Periodically, the monorail passes by overhead, reminding you and your guests that you're experiencing one of the happiest moments of your life at the Happiest Place on Earth.
421d1832ec06f2c69c555746f5a88eab.jpg
I am officially confused haha, I was under the impression we were comparing the Tokyo one vs the WDW.

I am officially confused haha, I was under the impression we were comparing the Tokyo one vs the WDW.
OH SO SORRY. My mistake. I'm talking about Disneyland - need more coffee!

I got confused by the pictures of the Mark VII LOL

The monorail passes by/through the Grand Californian, but there's no stop. And if you are coming from the Disneyland Hotel, you have to go through Downtown Disney security to get to it. But yes, you need a park ticket to board - because the monorail in Disneyland is essentially a ride, it's not akin to public transportation like at WDW.

Last edited:

I got thrown for a loop as to what was meant by TDR. I was under the impression that it meant Tokyo Disneyland Resort, but when I saw the Grand Californian mentioned I was thinking maybe "The Disneyland Resort" although I thought the usual acronym here was DLR.

But any excuse to talk about it. I mean - it was odd finding about the quietest outdoor place on the property but then having to go mute every time the monorail passed by.

Conclusion: all monorails deserve love and all of them are different haha.

@bcla That pic is wonderful tho, I need to attend a wedding there .. for totally unselfish reasons of course.

Conclusion: all monorails deserve love and all of them are different haha.

@bcla That pic is wonderful tho, I need to attend a wedding there .. for totally unselfish reasons of course.

It's a very nice place.

But I've also been on some rather sad looking ones. Like at Gilroy Gardens.

bayareaday1063_642.jpg

Or Cal Expo, which is the home of the California State Fair and where the old California Adventures CALIFORNIA letters went.

Just to clarify, the TDR monorail has four stops at Resort Gateway Station (adjacent to Maihama train station), Tokyo Disneyland, Bayside Station for the on-site third-party hotels, and Tokyo DisneySea. It's definitely used as transportation and not as a ride. It even accepts Suica!

Just to clarify, the TDR monorail has four stops at Resort Gateway Station (adjacent to Maihama train station), Tokyo Disneyland, Bayside Station for the on-site third-party hotels, and Tokyo DisneySea. It's definitely used as transportation and not as a ride. It even accepts Suica!
I think because it is actual transportation, they have to charge, though it’s small, like you said.

The original Disneyland Monorail used to have a round trip excursion fare without paying for admission. Not sure how they enforced it unless they has an admission turnstile at the Tomorrowland station or some sort of ticket check.

With the addition of the Disneyland Hotel station, guests had the option to purchase two different types of tickets. They could purchase the traditional ticket to Disneyland park and disembark in Tomorrowland or they could stay on for a round trip!​

That was before my time. I remember when it required a ride coupon or cash fare from the hotel, whether it was one way or excursion. They did exit stamps in UV ink at the Tomorrowland Station. Also monorail specific tickets.

DisneyETicket_wbelf.jpg

il_794xN.2636028155_aa0g.jpg

I remember riding on the defunct Sydney Monorail, which had a flat rate entrance fare. It went in a loop and the supposed rule was that passengers had to get off after a complete loop, but nobody stopped me after I went an additional station after a full loop.

Disney's complaint has been amended to include the monorail bill.

From the background section (with citations edited out for clarity):

168. Governor DeSantis and his allies have no apparent intent to moderate their retaliatory campaign any time soon. Again, at the same April 17 press conference, Governor DeSantis announced ongoing efforts to give the State new authority to override safety inspections at Walt Disney World, as well as to regulate Disney’s monorail transportation systems. Previewing the monorail legislation, Governor DeSantis falsely accused Disney of “exempt[ing] the monorail from any safety standards or inspections.”

169. Like clockwork, one week later, Senator Nick DiCeglie introduced the monorail legislation as an amendment to a Senate transportation bill. See Senate Bill 1250 (2023), later substituted as House Bill 1305 (2023). In what has now become a familiar practice, the proposed amendment was precision-engineered to target Disney alone, just as Governor DeSantis intended and previewed—imposing state oversight over only those private monorail systems located “within an independent special district created by local act which have boundaries within two contiguous counties.”

170. Disney is the only company affected by House Bill 1305.

171. Underscoring the point, Senator Geraldine Thompson warned that House Bill 1305 “reeks of retribution.”

172. On May 2, the Senate passed House Bill 1305. The House passed the bill as amended the next day.

173. On May 5, 2023—at a press conference commemorating the end of the Florida legislative session, and the day he signed Senate Bill 1604 into law— Governor DeSantis was asked about his “handling of Reedy Creek.” Without hesitation or prompt, Governor DeSantis admitted: “[T]his all started, of course, with our parents’ rights bill.”

174. In a separate interview that same day, Governor DeSantis trumpeted the unequivocal intent and perceived success of his retribution campaign: “Since our skirmish last year, Disney has not been involved in any of those issues. They have not made a peep. That, ultimately, is the most important, that Disney is not allowed to pervert the system to the detriment of Floridians.”

175. Having exhausted all other options, Disney is left with no choice but to bring this Complaint asking the Court to stop the State of Florida from weaponizing the power of government to punish private business.

Disney did not amend their Prayer for Relief to include House Bill 1305. So, it looks like they're using this bill as evidence against DeSantis, but not asking for it to be declared unlawful and unenforceable.

Last edited:
I don’t see a problem with a government agency inspecting it. As long as there is no game playing by the inspectors. I would assume it is FLADOT not USDOT. There have been issues with concrete chunks falling off and the track having issues. There have been maintenance issues in the parks causing rides to shut down. This is no longer the Disney we all grew up with.

I don’t see a problem with a government agency inspecting it. As long as there is no game playing by the inspectors. I would assume it is FLADOT not USDOT. There have been issues with concrete chunks falling off and the track having issues. There have been maintenance issues in the parks causing rides to shut down. This is no longer the Disney we all grew up with.
Rides are shut down for maintenance issues before they become unsafe. If Disney was bypassing the safety signals and continuing to run them, that would be the unsafe choice. I don’t understand how Disney choosing to stop and inspect rides themselves when they see signals that things aren’t as they expect is spun as an unsafe action.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter