Monorail may be inspected by DOT if new bill gets passed

Disneyland has rebuilt their cars for decades and gotten new bodies every now and then when the old ones were too old. But it was always a WDI design with manufacturing/rebuilding by a contractor or in-house.

This seems like the most logical idea when you need a specific size.

That is adorable!
Sadly, they couldn't do that here. It'd be broken/defaced in a matter of days. So many people here in the US have zero respect for others property.
It's not just a cultural thing. There are plenty of people in Japan that spray graffiti and ruin train seats. The difference is investment. When trains start to look old and worn, they get fixed or replaced. Employees are hired to regularly clean them. The tracks and signals are well maintained.

Outside of Tokyo, you're more likely to see dirty platforms and older trains because there's less money available to maintain them all. Even Osaka's trains aren't as nice.

It's not just a cultural thing. There are plenty of people in Japan that spray graffiti and ruin train seats. The difference is investment. When trains start to look old and worn, they get fixed or replaced. Employees are hired to regularly clean them. The tracks and signals are well maintained.

Outside of Tokyo, you're more likely to see dirty platforms and older trains because there's less money available to maintain them all. Even Osaka's trains aren't as nice.

I wouldn't point to public transportation in Japan as being the be all and end all for anything. Subways and commuter trains are ridiculously packed to the point where they have employees to push people into the trains. And they have a serious problem with women being groped on crowded trains to the point where there are some cars set aside for women only.

But it does seem that this monorail system is run impeccably.

I wouldn't point to public transportation in Japan as being the be all and end all for anything. Subways and commuter trains are ridiculously packed to the point where they have employees to push people into the trains. And they have a serious problem with women being groped on crowded trains to the point where there are some cars set aside for women only.

The groping is true, but it's getting better. However, that's not only on public transportation. It can happen in any crowded area. It happens in the US too, even today, just not as frequently. It's more of a cultural thing than anything. The culture has to evolve to considering this to be bad.

The crowding is an issue, but the vheicles and stations are still very well maintained.

The groping is true, but it's getting better. However, that's not only on public transportation. It can happy in any crowded area. It happens in the US too, even today, just not as frequently. It's more of a cultural thing than anything. The culture has to evolve to considering this to be bad.

Well yeah. Japan has been noted for being a polite but repressed society.

Sure, Japan has problems, too. I was only responding to the idea that Americans (or "Westerners") would ruin nice monorails. The reality is that people in Japan ruin things, too. If we funded our transportation systems as well as Japan does, then they'd probably be newer, cleaner, and more often on time. But, we don't, so we have dirty stations, rundown trains, and old technology that causes congestion and delays.

Nevertheless, Disney could certainly make the WDW monorail as nice as the one in Japan. They have the money to do it. And they could hire people to keep it clean, too.

Sure, Japan has problems, too. I was only responding to the idea that Americans (or "Westerners") would ruin nice monorails. The reality is that people in Japan ruin things, too. If we funded our transportation systems as well as Japan does, then they'd probably be newer, cleaner, and more often on time. But, we don't, so we have dirty stations, rundown trains, and old technology that causes congestion and delays.

Nevertheless, Disney could certainly make the WDW monorail as nice as the one in Japan. They have the money to do it. And they could hire people to keep it clean, too.

Yeah, but the Japanese are generally more considerate of public property. There is hardly any litter in the streets and there aren't many garbage cans either. Certianly some do, and anything taking that kind of use is going to show ear and tear, but it is far lass common in Japan to see it torn up just becasue someone felt like tearing it up.

Maybe settle for cooler looking? I've taken a bunch of monorail systems. Disneyland. Expo 86 in Vancouver. The original Alweg Seattle Monorail. The Sydney Monorail before that went defunct. The latter two were the same manufacturer, and when I was in Sydney I noticed the resemblance.

The WDW monorail design isn't terribly unique. I think Bombardier sold the same cars to several other operators, although I do understand they've been overhauled and modified over time.

monorail-transportation-00.jpg

But Walt Disney Imagineering more or less designed the Disneyland Monorail to look as cool as possible. The Mark VII cars have that retro-futuristic vibe along with that huge bubble front where my kid and I rode once - sitting in front of the operator.

disneyland-monorail-00.jpg

And they've had fun with it.

mon116785SMALL.jpg

Seattle has a different retro-futuristic style.

Monorail-and-Space-Needle-Seattle-1962.jpg

Seattle has a different retro-futuristic style

Just call it what it is, old 🙂 It's the same trains from the worlds fair. They are nice, but also old on the inside. Been a few years since I rode them, really better/a novelty for tourists than for residents. Cheaper than parking but the whole light rail to monorail more than doubled what it would've taken to drive.

Just call it what it is, old 🙂 It's the same trains from the worlds fair. They are nice, but also old on the inside. Been a few years since I rode them, really better/a novelty for tourists than for residents. Cheaper than parking but the whole light rail to monorail more than doubled what it would've taken to drive.

I understand they've modified the control system, but yeah it seems kind of tough keeping that thing running where the guts have been the same for 60 years. The first time we tried riding they were down. I'm sure they have a machine shop to help rebuild or even completely make new parts, but yeah it's got to be tough when it's not close to anything else still in service that's supported by the manufacturer.

Yeah, but the Japanese are generally more considerate of public property. There is hardly any litter in the streets and there aren't many garbage cans either. Certianly some do, and anything taking that kind of use is going to show ear and tear, but it is far lass common in Japan to see it torn up just becasue someone felt like tearing it up.
Maybe on average, by a bit, but the difference isn't nearly that great. There's plenty of graffiti, trash, and dirt in Japan. It's not that hard to find. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Disney could maintain a clean, functional monorail at WDW if they wanted to. They seem to think that investing in the monorail isn't worth the money. So, we're stuck with what we've got for now.

Maybe on average, by a bit, but the difference isn't nearly that great. There's plenty of graffiti, trash, and dirt in Japan. It's not that hard to find. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Disney could maintain a clean, functional monorail at WDW if they wanted to. They seem to think that investing in the monorail isn't worth the money. So, we're stuck with what we've got for now.
i rode a clean functional monorail at WDW over 15 times, two weeks ago during my week long April vacation. No doors opening mid ride.... no trash..... no going down...... according to the horror stories on this thread, guess I got extra lucky with monorail pixie dust LOL

i rode a clean functional monorail at WDW over 15 times, two weeks ago during my week long April vacation. No doors opening mid ride.... no trash..... no going down...... according to the horror stories on this thread, guess I got extra lucky with monorail pixie dust LOL
Same for us in March. I don’t know that I’ve ever been to Disney with the monorails down…the skyliner is brand new and it has been down for me once. But the uptime on both of them is amazing.

The monorail at WDW has great uptime. The AC usually works and the trains usually aren't too crowded or too messy. I've only had one bad experience on the WDW monorail.

But just look at the TDR monorail system! It's so much nicer! Ah, well.

The monorail at WDW has great uptime. The AC usually works and the trains usually aren't too crowded or too messy. I've only had one bad experience on the WDW monorail.

someday I hope to see it (TDR) in person, but until then. I still am pretty psyched when I get to stay at a monorail resort and ride it while at WDW
I just think it is funny from a stats point of view... that a single negative event (or even a few)... means so much more than the 100,000s of times it ran correctly

I mean, objectively it is much nicer, in the way the Disneyland Hotel is much nicer than say, the Best Western. But that doesn't mean the WDW one is bad. It's simply a different type of monorail. TDR one looks bigger too so that would help with the nicer vibe, but that might just be the photos.

The TDR monorail is larger if my memory is not playing tricks on me, which is possible. I believe the cars are wider than those at WDW.

WDW can't easily make their monorails wider because of clearance issues along the tracks and especially in the stations at the resorts. They might be able to add a car or two to each train increase the passenger capacity. I don't know if the stations can handle longer trains though.

The TDR monorail is larger if my memory is not playing tricks on me, which is possible. I believe the cars are wider than those at WDW.

WDW can't easily make their monorails wider because of clearance issues along the tracks and especially in the stations at the resorts. They might be able to add a car or two to each train increase the passenger capacity. I don't know if the stations can handle longer trains though.

I believe it is slightly wider. It's hard to say because hte configuration is so different, but it seemed to have more room since it has a walking aisle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter