No WOC 9-14? (Black hole week)

Friday on a holiday weekend
b6bj0n.png

drcas9.png

16jovtj.png

2chujuu.png
It is so oppressively hot that I'm not surprised by this.

My daughter wanted to go after preschool to do the Disney Jr. dance party and I just flat-out said no; it's too hot. And we're precisely the "go-all-the-time" locals that people seem to worry about.

It is so oppressively hot that I'm not surprised by this.

My daughter wanted to go after preschool to do the Disney Jr. dance party and I just flat-out said no; it's too hot. And we're precisely the "go-all-the-time" locals that people seem to worry about.

My cousin texted me and San Fran is 98! She said her dogs won't even go outside because the pavement burns their paws. It's been so many hot days in a row!

Good news is that it's supposed to cool down next week to the low 90s/80s Locals will be back to get their fix ::yes::

I don't think the higher heat is worth the lower crowds personally. And from the CL, it looks like people feel the same way. I don't think most families with kids can ride that much when it's so hot and miserable.

If you are from AZ/NM and are used to large periods of 100 degree weather, that might be different....

Last edited:
My cousin texted me and San Fran is 98! She said her dogs won't even go outside because the pavement burns their paws. It's been so many hot days in a row!

Good news is that it's supposed to cool down next week to the low 90s/80s Locals will be back to get their fix ::yes::

I don't think the higher heat is worth the lower crowds personally. And from the CL, it looks like people feel the same way. I don't think most families with kids can ride that much when it's so hot and miserable.

If you are from AZ/NM and are used to large periods of 100 degree weather, that might be different....

It's 7pm and it is 106 here in Avondale, AZ. As long as it's a dry heat, we do well. Hit the parks in the morning, drink plenty of fluids, make ressies for lunch in an air conditioned restaurant, catch a movie during the heat of the day, swim, nap, you get the idea, stay out of the sun during the hottest parts of the day. In the evening, get out and have fun!

I think I'm in the acceptance phase of having our vacation land on this crazy week. I think it also helps that we ended up booking the panda experience at the SD zoo instead of trying for F! or WoC packages. I also realized I couldn't hold a grudge against Disney when DS and I were in a Disney Store this week and I started tearing up hearing a song from Peter Pan (and I don't even care much for the movie!) and thinking about how excited DS will be when we're at the parks. How magical everything will be, especially given his age.

I am glad I stumbled on this site. Instead of being blindsided by these things when we arrived, I've been able to vent my frustrations ahead of time and adjust my expectations. I think I'll have a better time. Knowing is half the battle, a failure to plan is a plan for failure, etc. :)

schedules are up now!

Can i take credit for this? ;-) (jk)

I emailed guest services with a complaint about no Disney Jr. dance party two weeks ago. Got a form response earlier in the week. Not sure if it made any difference, but I am SO GLAD to see the dance party is available 6 times per day! (I have a feeling we will see it at least once per day during our 4 day stay.)

I think I'm in the acceptance phase of having our vacation land on this crazy week. I think it also helps that we ended up booking the panda experience at the SD zoo instead of trying for F! or WoC packages. I also realized I couldn't hold a grudge against Disney when DS and I were in a Disney Store this week and I started tearing up hearing a song from Peter Pan (and I don't even care much for the movie!) and thinking about how excited DS will be when we're at the parks. How magical everything will be, especially given his age.

I am glad I stumbled on this site. Instead of being blindsided by these things when we arrived, I've been able to vent my frustrations ahead of time and adjust my expectations. I think I'll have a better time. Knowing is half the battle, a failure to plan is a plan for failure, etc. :)

Your comment "Knowing is half the battle" is so true.
The last part "a failure to plan is a plan for failure, etc." While it's true too. Being at Disneyland you need to be able to go with the flow.

I tried one of those time schedule method of touring DL. The plan flopped.
Now we go with a list of things we want to accomplish during the trip and tick them off when done.
It's so much easier and more relaxing.

I'm sure you read my previous post on all the closures during our trip in 2013. Every time I looked at Disney's schedule something else was added to the list.

Even with the magnitude of closures for our trip we all (me, 4 grandkids and one DIL) had a blast!

They spent time looking for the penny press machines and acquired a nice collection that trip.
The shooting range in Frontierland was a popular stop. A roll of quarters kept the competition going strong between the kids.

Oh... By the way..... I think all weeks are CRAZY any more......

I always tear up waiting at the gates to enter DL. It's a place of fond memories for me and my family.

Enjoy your trip and keep the tissue handy.

Geemo

The last part "a failure to plan is a plan for failure, etc." While it's true too. Being at Disneyland you need to be able to go with the flow.

Oh definitely, I agree. Given our son's personality and age (turns three in October), going with the flow is how we live these days. :) The only thing we have a set time for is a character breakfast. I have an idea of which parks we'll start out in for the first two days, but other than that, we'll get him a map and see where he wants to go. :) He's a great traveler though, as we've gone to international and domestic locations with him. And I think it helps that it's just the three of us.

As much as I enjoy planning trips, I learned pretty quickly when I was traveling by myself years ago, that you can plan all you want, but it's usually the things you didn't plan on that are most memorable. :)

Grizzly River Run is down and looks to be down at least through mid October. I wonder if they discovered an issue and that's why it was suddenly added and will be down for so long? It was down our last trip as well. I'm not sure we would go on this trip but it would have been nice to have the option.

Heads up everyone, was perusing the app this morning and noticed they have GRR as closed for refurb. :rolleyes2Headed to the website to clarify and it says "Grizzly River Run is currently closed for refurbishment. Please check back here for updates." I checked the map and it doesn't indicate it's closed or give any dates. My mom and I will be in DCA on Thursday. Super disappointed if this will be down. I'm hoping whatever the issue is can be fixed by then. We are only in the park for that one day. Hopefully someone will give an update who's in the park today. Tired to click on other dates later in the week and it's says the same thing everyday for the next week and a half. Bummer. :worried: Crossing fingers it's a fluke.

Heads up everyone, was perusing the app this morning and noticed they have GRR as closed for refurb. :rolleyes2Headed to the website to clarify and it says "Grizzly River Run is currently closed for refurbishment. Please check back here for updates." I checked the map and it doesn't indicate it's closed or give any dates. My mom and I will be in DCA on Thursday. Super disappointed if this will be down. I'm hoping whatever the issue is can be fixed by then. We are only in the park for that one day. Hopefully someone will give an update who's in the park today. Tired to click on other dates later in the week and it's says the same thing everyday for the next week and a half. Bummer. :worried: Crossing fingers it's a fluke.

That's interesting. Maybe it got overused last week when it was 100+ degrees!

Looking on the website and it still shows hours for this week and next week, but there is a big orange message on the page that says "Grizzly River Run is currently closed for refurbishment. Please check back here for updates."

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    801.2 KB · Views: 8

I rode GRR last week and it kept stopping. I think we stopped three times total during the ride, and sometimes we had to wait up to 5 minutes to get going again. That was the first time I ever rode it so I'm not sure if this is normal for this ride or if it was experiencing issues.

I just checked twitter and it looks like there were a lot of issues the last few days.

Attachments

• IMG_5727.PNG
    IMG_5727.PNG
    177.4 KB · Views: 15
Well the website doesn't have it listed on refurb long term like the app does. I don't think the app is accurate with the refurb list as it also has the haunted mansion and space mountain still closed on the 15th when the website has them open then. Maybe this won't be as long term as suspected.

I read Grizzly is down as the result of the massive (unusual) influx of people riding this past week in the heat. Should be up in another day supposedly... And HM and SM will be up for sure on the 15th. The website has it right, but I'm not sure why the app says until the 15th.

Due to Disney Cruise cancellations and possible WDW closure, there has been a considerable upswing in Disneyland bookings for next week.

Hoping for safety in Florida as this huge hurricane heads towards them. :sad1:

Last edited:
Due to Disney Cruise cancellations and possible WDW closure, there has been a considerable upswing in Disneyland bookings for next week.

Hoping for safety in Florida as this huge hurricane heads towards them. :sad1:

I know WDW is refunding trips for the week, but I'm surprised that people are able to swing trips to the west coast as a replacement. hotel prices are still about the same as they were when I booked in May, but flights are a lot more with less availability.

Either way, I am glad people are able to do that and their vacation isn't limited to being stuck in Florida.

I know WDW is refunding trips for the week, but I'm surprised that people are able to swing trips to the west coast as a replacement. hotel prices are still about the same as they were when I booked in May, but flights are a lot more with less availability.

Either way, I am glad people are able to do that and their vacation isn't limited to being stuck in Florida.

I guess a few airlines like Southwest are already cancelling their flights to Florida anyways and people are getting to change their tickets to LAX for free or highly discounted. Since WDW is mostly tourists anyways, people were flying in from all over the country, so a switch to DL on the west coast might be the same distance or maybe even shorter depending on where you live. Most hotels are offering 24 hr cancellations and those using DV points are just transferring them over to PP where there are still rooms left. WDW will refund tickets once the park is actually closed due to the hurricane.
So besides the hassle, many people won't be out too much money.

But on the flip side, they will go from rain drenched Florida to smokey dry California. Pick your poisen. If it were me, I would just reschedule my WDW vacation once the hurricane passes, but if you have one of those jobs that only gives you limited time off, disneyland may be your only option.

Either way, there will definitely be a small bump in attendance next week due to this as there are many families already rescheduling to DL as we speak.

Love me some black hole week.

Looks like its gonna be a little busier now with IRMA wrecking havoc on the east coast

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter