No WOC 9-14? (Black hole week)

Sounds like Soarin will be down to one theater from now until October even after the short refurb next week.

Wait...what? Seriously?
Yep, wait times are ridiculous. If you look at the main DLR thread page, there is a thread about it. I thought both screens would be up after the short refurb on Sept 5 and 6, but nope. Looks like it will be longer.

I am actually really glad I follow these forums. I can't imagine showing up for my vacation in a couple weeks and finding out so many things were down! At least we can plan ahead...

I started this thread (unintentionally), and I'm thinking I should just stop following it. LOL. At this point maybe I want to be oblivious... :confused3

I started this thread (unintentionally), and I'm thinking I should just stop following it. LOL. At this point maybe I want to be oblivious... :confused3
I think it's great haha! From now on, whenever someone complains about how bad their week is going to be, we can always refer them back to this thread and tell them "it could be worse...."

Well it's 11:15 right now on a Monday when there are still places in the country where schools are still out, and space mountain and haunted mansion are down for refurbs, but wait times listed in Disneyland are all between 5-15 mins, with the majority being 5 mins. I can only hope that's what we're in for as well!

Well it's 11:15 right now on a Monday when there are still places in the country where schools are still out, and space mountain and haunted mansion are down for refurbs, but wait times listed in Disneyland are all between 5-15 mins, with the majority being 5 mins. I can only hope that's what we're in for as well!
Sweet! How is DCA?

Thought I'd share my email/letter to Disney about our upcoming trip. I think it sums up everything that's going on (or not going on) at Disneyland next month:

"Hello,

I am writing you as a out-of-state traveler that has been planning a trip to Disneyland for Sept. 8-14 for my birthday. My wife and I purchased our Disney vacation package in May and have put a lot of planning into our trip (one of the few vacations we get per year).

For our second trip to Disneyland (our first was on our honeymoon in 2013), we planned and purchased a 5-day park hopper, intending to give ourselves the most time in the parks to experience everything that Disney has to offer. We are also ONLY planning to go to Disney this trip.

However, during the planning process, several unforeseen circumstances have arisen. The first, was the "delay" in Halloween time at Disneyland. I write delay in quotes because I know that there was never an announced date, but based on past park history, Halloween time begins the 2nd Friday in September. That was not the case this year. Missing the decorations, etc. is disappointing, but what was most disheartening was that it would also include the closure of Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain during our trip. These are two attractions with FastPass that are unique to Disneyland. In addition, this announcement was made months after our trip planning had begun. In addition to these two rides, Monster's Inc. is also closed, a ride only available in Disneyland.

Separate from rides, we knew that the Main Street Electrical Parade was going to close on August 20. We knew their was an extension of closing date well in advance. However, when I looked at the calendar in August as it was published for the days on our vacation, Pixar Play Parade was listed as only on the weekends. A week later, Pixar was removed from the schedule and removed from the calendar without notice. We are now only able to experience the Mickey's Soundsational Parade during our trip as daytime entertainment and World of Color and Fantasmic/Fireworks on the weekends only, if the weather permits. This leaves us with very limited, unique entertainment on our visit. If the weather is not good, we will only have one parade as daily entertainment in 5 days at 2 parks.

With all of these closures of rides and entertainment only recently announced, it was even more upsetting to find out that two dining reservations we had made, would also be cancelled after our reservation window opened and reservations were made due to restaurant closures. The Riverbell Terrace will be closed and we had to rebook for Café Orleans, which is a suitable, if not better replacement and we look forward to it. What we did not foresee, was the temporary closure of the Plaza Inn. This is our favorite restaurant/character meal and I planned to begin my birthday celebration with this meal. My wife even called to note that it was my birthday to add to the celebration. With less than a month to go, the restaurant announced the closure and we had to reschedule again. Since it is our favorite restaurant, we rescheduled for one of the two days that we were in the parks that it would be open. But this left my birthday (which you can see in my profile), with no special meal to reserve on the actual day. We already had no choice but to book Plaza and Café Orleans Fantasmic meal on the weekend since that is the only time when it was offered. To replace my birthday meal, we booked Critter breakfast, which was a meal that we were not planning to do and will now cost us even more money (we are spending over $300 in dining reservations alone on this trip as it is a reason we love Disney). In addition, we had to book a pre-park opening slot to be able to get to the parks at opening, which we weren't going to do at the Plaza because we'd already be in Disneyland.

The reason I write this email, is not necessarily to complain, but to voice my displeasure with the many cancellations that have taken place during the planning process that are affecting our trip. As I mentioned, we don't often have the chance to fly from NY to Disneyland and take 7 days off from work, paying a lot of money, and putting in a lot of planning, only to find out that a lack of advanced planning on Disneyland's part (or at least the announcement of said planning), can significantly alter our plans. If we were able to find even some of this information with advanced notice, would could plan accordingly and perhaps move our trip to a different point in the year.

Please know that we will no doubt have a terrific trip and enjoy everything that is available at Disneyland, but it is very difficult to have one thing after another being cancelled only one month or less prior to our trip.

Thank you for hearing my concern and we look forward to being a part of the magic next month at Disneyland Resort."

Thought I'd share my email/letter to Disney about our upcoming trip. I think it sums up everything that's going on (or not going on) at Disneyland next month

Very well worded. Expresses exactly how I (and probably many others) feel on this thread.

Sweet! How is DCA?
At the time they seemed more typical. Long waits for GoG, RSR, TSM, and Soarin with short lines for everything else. But Disneylands were just unusually short, if the app was somewhat accurate. Now everything at Disneyland shows the 10-25 min range but nothing crazy.

We had originally planned to go during Black Hole Week but I booked a hotel for the week before so that we could switch if we wanted. I am now considering skipping September all together. We can really go anytime and I picked September because it used to be a slow time. With all the closures the first two weeks in September I am thinking about going the first week of December. I have already purchased our tickets so they do have to be used this year. Does anyone know historically how late they are open that week? 8:00 seems awfully early. I wonder if there will be less closures. I really do like the Christmas decorations and SM and HM are two of my favorites. I also wish that DL would announce schedules and closures sooner. You really have to book fairly far in advance to get good hotel prices these days!

We had originally planned to go during Black Hole Week but I booked a hotel for the week before so that we could switch if we wanted. I am now considering skipping September all together. We can really go anytime and I picked September because it used to be a slow time. With all the closures the first two weeks in September I am thinking about going the first week of December. I have already purchased our tickets so they do have to be used this year. Does anyone know historically how late they are open that week? 8:00 seems awfully early. I wonder if there will be less closures. I really do like the Christmas decorations and SM and HM are two of my favorites. I also wish that DL would announce schedules and closures sooner. You really have to book fairly far in advance to get good hotel prices these days!

DL keeps almost every ride open after thanksgiving through New Years! Lots of entertainment and longer hours. Crowds have been historically middle of the road the first week of Dec. Not slow, but not crazy yet either. I think it would be a great week to go.

We used to always go in December than started going in September. There is something so magical about those decorations, and I love the snow after the fireworks. Or I could go next week! It's hard to wait, but I don't go as often as I used to so I want to make the most out of our visit!

Just checked hotel pricing and the week of November 27th is cheaper. Any comments on Nov 29 - Dec 1 vs Dec 5 - 9 in the parks?

We used to always go in December than started going in September. There is something so magical about those decorations, and I love the snow after the fireworks. Or I could go next week! It's hard to wait, but I don't go as often as I used to so I want to make the most out of our visit!

Plus since DL 60th is over and Star Wars hasn't opened yet, I think right now may be ideal if you want to hit Christmas. Once Star Wars opens it's going to be a whole new brand of crazy/busy.

Maybe I will plan a Christmas trip too....

I have totally come to accept the way things are but I find it crazy that 2.5 weeks out, the schedule continues to change. i have all our plans typed up and I continuously have to change them and reprint. On Sept 15 there were supposed to be 2 Soundsational Parades- one at 4:45 and one at 6:45 according to the website... but now there's only one at 3:30. I just feel like these schedules for things like that should be SET by now!

I have totally come to accept the way things are but I find it crazy that 2.5 weeks out, the schedule continues to change. i have all our plans typed up and I continuously have to change them and reprint. On Sept 15 there were supposed to be 2 Soundsational Parades- one at 4:45 and one at 6:45 according to the website... but now there's only one at 3:30. I just feel like these schedules for things like that should be SET by now!

Have you by chance noticed if the Disney Jr schedule is out yet for that week? It keeps saying "unavailable" everywhere I look, but it is not on the refurb list? I am starting to worry. That is my kiddos fav!

another day of stalking the app with similar ride closures as mid-sept, and similar cut hours, and wait times are again low today on the app. Soarin is 45 mins right now at 2:30pm, lots of 5 min waits at DL for popular rides, with only Indy and Splash Mountain having longer waits (30-50 mins) but I am just hoping this is similar to our time there!

Last edited:
another day of stalking the app with similar ride closures as mid-sept, and similar cut hours, and wait times are again low today on the app. Soarin is 45 mins right now at 2:30pm, lots of 5 min waits at MK for popular rides, with only Indy and Splash Mountain having longer waits (30-50 mins) but I am just hoping this is similar to our time there!
Yeah, I'm starting to feel a bit better. The only time I am really worried about now is Thursday evening (14th). Since they close DCA down at 5, everyone will go over to DL that wants to stay in the parks in addition to that being the time that locals will hit the park. Must plan accordingly....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter