No WOC 9-14? (Black hole week)

So I am trying to be optimistic about this. We are flying in and had everything booked before the dates came out- it would really be nice for DL to release this stuff earlier or not make people pay high prices when so much is reduced, but we're booked and surprising my daughter for her birthday which falls on these dates. We already added a 3rd day, going to the parks on the day we fly in so we can see WOC since one of our original 2 days is the 14th when the DCA closes at 5pm. We could barely afford 2 days, so adding a 3rd is pretty hard on us, all for less parades and entertainment overall... but I still hope the kids love it and I hope maybe Disney throws some extra characters or extra fun in the mix to make up for some of the bummers.

Your best bet (all of ours really) is to email Disney guest relations. Quite a few of us already have. I hope that with the increased crowds in the not-so-"off season" and the fact that a multi Day ticket costs the same year round, maybe Disney will add in something for us that week. Because even if the crowds are low, they are going to FEEL high with so many rides closed plus shorter hours!

Your best bet (all of ours really) is to email Disney guest relations. Quite a few of us already have. I hope that with the increased crowds in the not-so-"off season" and the fact that a multi Day ticket costs the same year round, maybe Disney will add in something for us that week. Because even if the crowds are low, they are going to FEEL high with so many rides closed plus shorter hours!
I already did when the hours came out... trying not to complain but simply suggesting that they keep their non-local guests in mind who plan ahead for a great trip and maybe release this stuff earlier. I never heard back but hope there's extra magic going on.

I thought that perhaps the early closing on the 14th was to ensure that all the halloween decor gets finished, but if it is indeed for a castmember event, certainly that is something they could do after-hours, even at 8pm? To charge us the same for a 5pm closure is really terrible. I realize I am preaching to the choir here.

Last edited:
I thought that perhaps the early closing on the 14th was to ensure that all the halloween decor gets finished, but if it is indeed for a castmember event, certainly that is something they could do after-hours, even at 8pm? To charge us the same for a 5pm closure is really terrible. I realize I am preaching to the choir here.
Yeah, I'm bummed I didn't know this stuff when I booked my non refundable flight! But, since Disneyland didnt release the schedule until like 40 days before (and they still haven't released all the entertainment info even though it's 3 weeks away) there is no way for me to book a flight for my family with only 40 days of notice (either sold out or very expensive) so I just guessed.
Well, Halloween was moved to a week later (everyone thought it would start the 8th since it started the 9th last year) so now we have extra ride closures to deal with and then the cast party. Plus for some reason the hours that whole week are very short for Disneyland and DCA. If there was anyway to move my vacay, I would.

But since there is not, I'm just trying to accept and plan accordingly. Next time I'm booking the middle of July. Sure, there might be crowds, but at least I get to see all the parades and shows and the rides will all be open!

Yeah, I'm bummed I didn't know this stuff when I booked my non refundable flight! But, since Disneyland didnt release the schedule until like 40 days before (and they still haven't released all the entertainment info even though it's 3 weeks away) there is no way for me to book a flight for my family with only 40 days of notice (either sold out or very expensive) so I just guessed.
Well, Halloween was moved to a week later (everyone thought it would start the 8th since it started the 9th last year) so now we have extra ride closures to deal with and then the cast party. Plus for some reason the hours that whole week are very short for Disneyland and DCA. If there was anyway to move my vacay, I would.

But since there is not, I'm just trying to accept and plan accordingly. Next time I'm booking the middle of July. Sure, there might be crowds, but at least I get to see all the parades and shows and the rides will all be open!

Luckily we were able to go last year during the 60th celebration, so while I am bummed about limited entertainment, there are things like the Pixar Parade that we saw last year.

Our big day is the 15th since that's my daughter's birthday, and with long hours and new halloween stuff, I'm excited for it.

When we went last year, Jungle Cruise, Autopia, and Grizzly River Run were down, so as long as it's not the same rides down, it's good for us. Plane tickets for us from Denver are only $42 each way on Southwest, so it's really just the park admission that's killing us. Hours should be the same no matter what time of year.

Luckily we were able to go last year during the 60th celebration, so while I am bummed about limited entertainment, there are things like the Pixar Parade that we saw last year.

Our big day is the 15th since that's my daughter's birthday, and with long hours and new halloween stuff, I'm excited for it.

When we went last year, Jungle Cruise, Autopia, and Grizzly River Run were down, so as long as it's not the same rides down, it's good for us. Plane tickets for us from Denver are only $42 each way on Southwest, so it's really just the park admission that's killing us. Hours should be the same no matter what time of year.
$84 round trip?! Ugh, so jealous you're killing me! (It's fun that your daughter's bday coincides with Halloween time kicking off!)

Add another one to the list. Trader Sams likely down Sept. 5-15.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/trader-sams-alfresco-tasting-terrace.3629129/

This is crazy. it's like no matter your reason for going to DL, there is something down.

"I go for the classic rides" - Sorry, SM and HM are down
"I go for the food" - Nope. Riverbelle, Plaza are closed
"I go for the nighttime entertainment" - Well MSEP just closed, but that's ok. The park closes early anyway.
"I go for the nightlife" - Yeah, did we mention Trader Sams is closed too?

Sorry about that... But hey! What do you expect for $100/per person/per day?

Add another one to the list. Trader Sams likely down Sept. 5-15.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/trader-sams-alfresco-tasting-terrace.3629129/

This is crazy. it's like no matter your reason for going to DL, there is something down.

"I go for the classic rides" - Sorry, SM and HM are down
"I go for the food" - Nope. Riverbelle, Plaza are closed
"I go for the nighttime entertainment" - Well MSEP just closed, but that's ok. The park closes early anyway.
"I go for the nightlife" - Yeah, did we mention Trader Sams is closed too?

Sorry about that... But hey! What do you expect for $100/per person/per day?

And the Pixar Play parade isn't going that week either. The ONLY parade is Sounsational once per day at DL. It's awful. And have you seen the hours? SO so short! I haven't ever seen a week in DL/DCA so barren.

i just really really really hope there are light crowds on the 13th and 14th to compensate.

It is supposedly predicted to be a 3 or 4 (out of 10), but beings that the Disney cruises will be in port, I guarantee there will be more crowds than usual for that time of year as many people go to Disneyland before and/or after their cruise. I already know a few large groups of people (30+people each group) that are hitting Disneyland for that week because of their cruise.

Plus with rides like HM and SM closed and the shorter hours, even a lower amount of people will feel busier because there are less rides and less time to distribute the people. I mean, when DCA closes at 5 on the 14th, there is no Halloween party at DL or anything. It's just shut down. EVERY SINGLE PERSON who wants to stay in the park will have to go to DL. I am planning on it feeling closer to a 5 or 6 for that week, and a 7 or 8 for the evening of the 14th when everyone is at DL. Then another 6 or higher for the weekend since it will be the first weekend for Halloween.

I'm not trying to bum people out (it really does sound like it though) I just want us to have the advantage of going that week knowing full well what it MAY be like.

It is supposedly predicted to be a 3 or 4 (out of 10), but beings that the Disney cruises will be in port, I guarantee there will be more crowds than usual for that time of year as many people go to Disneyland before and/or after their cruise. I already know a few large groups of people (30+people each group) that are hitting Disneyland for that week because of their cruise.

Though the State Dept just put a warning out for travel to Disney ports with higher than normal crime. Did you see that?

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Guess it could be worse than Black Hole Week!

I mean, the Disney Wonder can hold 2400 guests MAX, although I doubt each room is at capacity. I am sure many are locals going on the cruise but if not, an extra 2400 if full and every single person chose to go to DL really isn't THAT many in the grand scheme of things when it comes to attendance.

I have noticed getting dining reservations and changing them has been pretty easy for us for those days.

I think we are just going to head to the hotel once DCA closes on the 14th and get some rest before a long day on the 15th.

Though the State Dept just put a warning out for travel to Disney ports with higher than normal crime. Did you see that?

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Guess it could be worse than Black Hole Week!

Yes! We went on a Disney cruise a couple years ago and they wouldn't let us stop at Mazatlan because of violence. It was scary. It finally got better, but sounds like it is back again!

Defiantly worse than black hole week!

I mean, the Disney Wonder can hold 2400 guests MAX, although I doubt each room is at capacity. I am sure many are locals going on the cruise but if not, an extra 2400 if full and every single person chose to go to DL really isn't THAT many in the grand scheme of things when it comes to attendance.

I have noticed getting dining reservations and changing them has been pretty easy for us for those days.

I really really hope you are right. :worship:It will actually be about 4800 for that week since 2400 will be disembarking and 2400 will be embarking.

I really really hope you are right. :worship:It will actually be about 4800 for that week since 2400 will be disembarking and 2400 will be embarking.
Not trying to argue, just trying to be optimistic here, but it shouldnt be more than 2400 in a single day. People will be onboard Sept 11-15, so none of those people on board will be there between the 11-14. They may show up the 15th, and the people who board on the 15th may be there before, but i really don't think the Disney Cruise people will make a noticeable difference. We will just have to see!

Not trying to argue, just trying to be optimistic here, but it shouldnt be more than 2400 in a single day. People will be onboard Sept 11-15, so none of those people on board will be there between the 11-14. They may show up the 15th, and the people who board on the 15th may be there before, but i really don't think the Disney Cruise people will make a noticeable difference. We will just have to see!

Actually, I'm on a cruise leaving the 17th, so some cruisers (at least 4, ha) will be at DL the week/weekend before. 13-16th for us. Since there is a 4 night, 2 night, then 5 night cruise all around this week, I could see some overlap.

Actually, I'm on a cruise leaving the 17th, so some cruisers (at least 4, ha) will be at DL the week/weekend before. 13-16th for us. Since there is a 4 night, 2 night, then 5 night cruise all around this week, I could see some overlap.
Oh wow! That is even more than I thought. So if even 5% of the 2 night plus 4 night plus 5 night embarkers/disembarkers decide to hit the parks that week (either before or after their cruises) then it really could be quite a bit busier!

I think a lot of people do what you are doing especially with the shorter cruises.

Have fun and be safe!!!:sail:

I am really regretting booking our vacation there for that week. We should have booked in October, like we used to do. Coming from Canada, with the exchange rate, going to Disneyland is not an inexpensive trip, and with them closing more and more, it really has me feeling somewhat resentful. But the flights and parkhoppers are already bought, as well as tickets to one other Non-Disney event, so we'd lose all of that if we cancelled.

I knew the hours were shorter, I knew some things would be shut down, but they're closing down a whole lot more than I thought they would, and some of them are things I'd planned on.

It stinks.

We will have fun and it will all be fiiiiiiine.

But I still wish Disneyland could give us a little break or throw in some extra magic. Or even acknowledge my comments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter