• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No WOC 9-14? (Black hole week)

I feel badly for once-in-lifetime visitors when this happens.
That is us (this will be my child's first visit). Unfortunately between school and both of me and my husbands work schedules, this week was the only available. Trust me, I would love to go another time.
I completely accepted the less or unavailable shows/parades and shorter hours and refurbishements that may happen!
It just seems those things have also combined with other factors and closures that specific week that I haven't seen any other time of the year in researching this trip. Hence the "black hole week" name.

But people keep visiting when they think it's going to be "less busy" and then are upset when all sorts of entertainment or attractions are unavailable. When the parks end up being busy, too, it just exacerbates the problem. I feel badly for once-in-lifetime visitors when this happens.
This exactly. I keep telling my friends from out of state to come during the summer, and they don't believe me! I talked to so many visitors this year during those hellishly busy "off-season" times who were upset because the Internet had promised them a "ghost town," and instead they got crowds, rides down for refurb, short hours, limited entertainment, etc.

What I wish is that Disney would just acknowledge that there IS no off-season, and that they'd extend hours and add entertainment accordingly.

In my case, my one and only Disneyland trip was during this same time 4 years ago... and it was perfect. The only closed attraction was BTMRR (for that big "update" I think). Halloweentime was already going. I guess I shouldn't have assumed it would be the same, but since I planned way before DL released info... it took me by surprise.

I mean, WDW has changed a lot since 2013... not sure why I didn't consider that crowd patterns/etc would be different for DLR, too. Guess that one is on me.

In my case, my one and only Disneyland trip was during this same time 4 years ago... and it was perfect. The only closed attraction was BTMRR (for that big "update" I think). Halloweentime was already going. I guess I shouldn't have assumed it would be the same, but since I planned way before DL released info... it took me by surprise.

I mean, WDW has changed a lot since 2013... not sure why I didn't consider that crowd patterns/etc would be different for DLR, too. Guess that one is on me.

Next time we plan summer vacays! Sure it will be busy, maybe crazy busy... but at least we won't get so many disappointing random closures!

I am going 9/9-9/14, and feel your pain. I have the opportunity to change my dates, but hotel rates have gone up considerably and it'll end up costing another 200-300 to make the change. I think we are going to just be positive and make it work for us.
On the down side, it looks like HM and Space Mtn will be down, and RBT has no Fantasmic on 9/9 either, so we booked Hungry Bear instead (and miss out on a seated area). I'm just hoping no other rides are down, though it looks possible that some of Cars Land may be down for a Halloween overlay as well :(
I think crowds will be ok, they were light last year that week, so I'm hopeful that doesn't change much at least.

Yikes, anything else sucked into the black hole that week?

I'm just hoping no other rides are down, though it looks possible that some of Cars Land may be down for a Halloween overlay as well
I think crowds will be ok, they were light last year that week, so I'm hopeful that doesn't change much at least.

Yikes, anything else sucked into the black hole that week?

Crossing my fingers that RSR doesn't actually go down and they just spend time "dressing" it up at night especially since DCA closes at 5 pm the day before opening.

There will be Disney cruises going on that time of course and a lot of people are hitting that week before/after their cruise, so add that to the black hole.

Also, I wouldn't count on it being light. July was supposed to be 8/10 in crowds and they are hovering around 4/10. Those crowds will come and I have a feeling, like the posts before this said, that word got out that Sept was "slow" and there are a lot more planning to come than usual (in combo with the annual pass blackouts being lifted a couple weeks before)

We are in this together :hyper2:

Crossing my fingers that RSR doesn't actually go down and they just spend time "dressing" it up at night especially since DCA closes at 5 pm the day before opening.

There will be Disney cruises going on that time of course and a lot of people are hitting that week before/after their cruise, so add that to the black hole.

Also, I wouldn't count on it being light. July was supposed to be 8/10 in crowds and they are hovering around 4/10. Those crowds will come and I have a feeling, like the posts before this said, that word got out that Sept was "slow" and there are a lot more planning to come than usual (in combo with the annual pass blackouts being lifted a couple weeks before)

We are in this together :hyper2:
I was looking back at crowd levels on isitpacked for June/July last year and it seems pretty comparable to this year (with a few more lighter days in July so far), so I'm hoping September is comparable as well. We were there in June when it was ranked as packed, and it was not too bad. I'm hoping for light crowds but have been through spring break and summer crowds this year and keep coming back, so I'll just prepare for busy days and be pleasantly surprised otherwise :)

Thank you! I know I have to keep things in perspective. I went ahead and booked Carthay WOC for Wednesday night. We fly in that day, so I will likely be worrying about delays... but we should be okay. (Fingers crossed)

I think I was frustrated after finding out Halloweentime doesn't start until Friday (I was hoping it would already been going a few days), but I should be thankful that we aren't missing out on it completely. Just don't know what to expect being there right as it transitions.

And then I saw Thursday blacked out for WOC packages, while it seems to show every other day (including the day after) I worried there would be some private event keeping me from the park. I was just frustrated as it put a kink in my plans. I will have to adjust, but it will be fine.

Dang you, WDW, for making me an overplanner... haha! This is only my second trip to DLR, so I need to adjust my mindset. It doesn't help that I'm the primary planner for another couple's first visit, so I worry too much.

It will be great, and I still can't wait to be there!

Still curious what is going on at DCA that night, though.
It's super frustrating when you plan so far in advance and Disney changes things up and does it differently than the year before. Hopefully everything (or at least most things) is open in preparation for the start of Halloween already when you get there.

It's super frustrating when you plan so far in advance and Disney changes things up and does it differently than the year before. Hopefully everything (or at least most things) is open in preparation for the start of Halloween already when you get there.

Yeah, a soft opening for HM and GG would be a nice surprise, but yes, as Disney has changed so much with Halloween already, I'm not getting my hopes up!

I 100% thought I would spend the whole week in Halloween bliss as the predicted opening date (based on last years dates) was Sept 8/9 hahaha...Just when you think you have things figured out, Right?

So with what was announced, I should feel comfortable that's rsr is NOT getting a Halloween overlay and that it SHOULD stay open right? Very nervous. The announcement made it seem like the two cars land rides are getting overlays so should I assume they will be closed?

So with what was announced, I should feel comfortable that's rsr is NOT getting a Halloween overlay and that it SHOULD stay open right? Very nervous. The announcement made it seem like the two cars land rides are getting overlays so should I assume they will be closed?

This was my initial fear too. Honestly, if carsland was "closed" I would probabaly consider canceling and just doing something else before my cruise. We go to WDW a lot. I'm going to California for those unique things, with RSR being one... Haunted Mansion Holiday another.

Here's hoping the DCA overlays don't actually effect the rides.

I think sections of Cars land will be closed. Maybe not all at once though. I mean, they would have to be even just for safety reasons as they are decorating?!? Maybe the smaller rides closed for a few days or something. REALLY hoping that RSR isn't closed, but honestly, at this point that is something we have to be prepared for. Until we here something definitive/official.

I think sections of Cars land will be closed. Maybe not all at once though. I mean, they would have to be even just for safety reasons as they are decorating?!? Maybe the smaller rides closed for a few days or something. REALLY hoping that RSR isn't closed, but honestly, at this point that is something we have to be prepared for. Until we here something definitive/official.
When they decorate, they don't typically close anything.

There's no indication that RSR has anything happening or would close. Depending on the depth of the other two overlays, they may close briefly, but I'd be surprised if it was more than 1-2 days, and it might even be none at all. Those are two small rides where the soundtrack will probably be the featured change beyond just decorating the area.

Another blow to that week: Called to book a River Belle Terrace package for the Fantasmic show on the 15th since who knows if we will get to see WOC now with the closure on Thursday and guess what? RBT is going to close for renovations! So Blue bayou is your only option (unless you want to do on-the-go Hungry bear)

Cast member said they may open the Terrace on River belle for premium seating there at 8 pm, but that is it. Better book your package quick at BB if you want reserved seating on the ground (and not standing) on the 15th show!

Dang black hole week. :badpc:

We will be there the 9th-13th. I wanted to book River Bell for the 9 or 10 and it is closed for refurb then too. What I don't understand is why wouldnt you take a year and a half of Fantasmic being closed and also refurb the restaurant? Disney missing out on money for no reason?? Seems bizarre.

I was planning on going 9/13-9/16, also thinking that Halloween would have started by 9/8 (keeping with previous year trends). We rented points through DVC rental (and thankfully purchased the point protection cancellation plan). With the news of Halloween starting later, and the cast member party on Thursday 9/14 5pm at DCA, I was already teetering on cancelling. I thought to myself that I'd make the most of it and stay positive. Well, I made RBT premium reservations first thing yesterday morning only to receive a call in the afternoon that RBT would be closed for refurbishment. That was the final nail in the coffin for me. Even though we knew RBT premium would be a worse view, DH has knee issues (although not officially disabled) that would make it uncomfortable to sit on the ground for a prolonged period.

After a lot of thought, we are cancelling and currently trying to replan something. I just didn't want to be disappointed after spending so much hard earned money.

Even though we are cancelling, I hope I am being a tad dramatic (which is not unheard of) and those of you that are going will still have a nice time.

I was planning on going 9/13-9/16, also thinking that Halloween would have started by 9/8 (keeping with previous year trends). We rented points through DVC rental (and thankfully purchased the point protection cancellation plan). With the news of Halloween starting later, and the cast member party on Thursday 9/14 5pm at DCA, I was already teetering on cancelling. I thought to myself that I'd make the most of it and stay positive. Well, I made RBT premium reservations first thing yesterday morning only to receive a call in the afternoon that RBT would be closed for refurbishment. That was the final nail in the coffin for me. Even though we knew RBT premium would be a worse view, DH has knee issues (although not officially disabled) that would make it uncomfortable to sit on the ground for a prolonged period.

After a lot of thought, we are cancelling and currently trying to replan something. I just didn't want to be disappointed after spending so much hard earned money.

Even though we are cancelling, I hope I am being a tad dramatic (which is not unheard of) and those of you that are going will still have a nice time.
Sorry to hear you have to reschedule, but I understand. I was bummed about RBT as well.
My biggest concern is ride closures and it seems likely that there won't be any other major ones other than HM and Space, so we are sticking with our dates. I noticed today that a lot of hotels are opened back up for our dates, so I am guessing many are rescheduling now that Halloween dates are out. If anything, I'm hopeful that crowd levels will be lower since people may wait for Halloween decorations are up to visit.

If I had the ability, I would do the exact same thing (non refundable airline tickets unfortunately) RBT called and cancelled me as well. It's really upsetting when in years past, Halloween started on a particular week, and then they change it. And then hold out the announcement until later than normal.

No big deal for locals. But it's hard because people like me who live far away and really have to plan a more that 60 days in advance if we don't want to spend a fortune on hotels and airfare. At WDW, you can know 180 days in advance! I'm definitely not asking for that at Disneyland, but they don't even release the schedule 60 days in advance.

With DL getting more expensive and more people planning further ahead for such an expense, I wish DL would release their plans and scheduling just a bit earlier, especially when they are making changes to events and dates from the norm.

I mean, technically the official schedule isn't even released for that week yet (still isn't even to the end of August), so there may be even more closures/refurbishments that we don't know about yet.

If I had the ability, I would do the exact same thing (non refundable airline tickets unfortunately) RBT called and cancelled me as well. It's really upsetting when in years past, Halloween started on a particular week, and then they change it. And then hold out the announcement until later than normal.

No big deal for locals. But it's hard because people like me who live far away and really have to plan a more that 60 days in advance if we don't want to spend a fortune on hotels and airfare. At WDW, you can know 180 days in advance! I'm definitely not asking for that at Disneyland, but they don't even release the schedule 60 days in advance.

With DL getting more expensive and more people planning further ahead for such an expense, I wish DL would release their plans and scheduling just a bit earlier, especially when they are making changes to events and dates from the norm.

I mean, technically the official schedule isn't even released for that week yet (still isn't even to the end of August), so there may be even more closures/refurbishments that we don't know about yet.

I know exactly what you mean. We booked Southwest so we can used cancelled travel funds for future use.. but if it were another airline we'd be forced to keep our plans too.

I really wish Disneyland would take a page out of Disney World's book and give us even just a bit more notice with things. Like you said, very easy for locals, but its the other visitors that suffer. :(

No! Don't give them any more ideas! :)

We booked our trip back in January and February. I've never had this much bad luck planning a trip. We haven't been to DLR since 2010, and it will be our DS's first time (he turns 3 in October). We already expected to have to be flexible due to his age, but we weren't expecting our three days in the park (Wed-Fri) to be so potentially messed up by Disney.

Well, we'll go and make the most of it. :) At least DS will get to see a lot of pumpkins on Friday. His favorite color is orange!

No! Don't give them any more ideas! :)

We booked our trip back in January and February. I've never had this much bad luck planning a trip. We haven't been to DLR since 2010, and it will be our DS's first time (he turns 3 in October). We already expected to have to be flexible due to his age, but we weren't expecting our three days in the park (Wed-Fri) to be so potentially messed up by Disney.

Well, we'll go and make the most of it. :) At least DS will get to see a lot of pumpkins on Friday. His favorite color is orange!

Yeah, it will be my little guys first trip as well. Crappy luck getting the black hole week of the year :rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter