• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No WOC 9-14? (Black hole week)

Does anyone know how long HM and Space go down for the overlay period? I know usually it's Labor Day weekend or around there, but since the HalloweenTime isn't starting until Sept. 15, I am hoping that they also delay the overlay closures too.

Does anyone know how long HM and Space go down for the overlay period? I know usually it's Labor Day weekend or around there, but since the HalloweenTime isn't starting until Sept. 15, I am hoping that they also delay the overlay closures too.
HM is suppose to be going down August 28. Space is usually down for 3-4 days to install the overlay.

HM is suppose to be going down August 28. Space is usually down for 3-4 days to install the overlay.

Thanks! I just saw from the DIS historical calendar that Space was down for 3 full days before reopening for Halloween Time. HM was closed for 18 days.

Reportedly there is a longer Space refurbishment this year. I believe it's scheduled to be closed Aug. 21 - Sept. 14.
This is correct, there was a whole thread about it a couple of weeks ago. The original rumor was that Space was going to be down for two months, so while it's not that long, it is longer than usual.

I try to follow this important advice from HydroGuy:

"HydroGuy's High Season/Off Season Tradeoff Rule"

Again not everyone has he ability to travel during US summer break or the Christmas season.
As I have said many times before, Disney charges the same year round, they aren't selling discounted off season tickets so they shouldn't treat these visitors as such second rate guests.

What I wish is that Disney would just acknowledge that there IS no off-season, and that they'd extend hours and add entertainment accordingly.

:worship:

but since I planned way before DL released info

Because you have to DL waits until far to late to release information.

RBT called and cancelled me

I think cancelling on people is terrible, it's not like there was an unexpected event (like a fire) causing it.
Disney waits until so close to them time to release information and accept bookings and even hen can't manage to have their house in order. >:(

Thought I would add a couple things to black hole week to prepare us!

Monsters Inc will be down for refurbishment from Sept 5-Sept 21

Soarin' down Sept 5 as well, but hopefully opening the next day

Reduced staff at Disneyland until Sept 30th (Starts the end of July I believe)

Some things at bugs life may be down the week or days before Sept 15th due to another overlay at DCA for "Coco" which will open Sept 15th for Halloween.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...perience-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Last edited:
Im getting more and more frustrated about going sept 10th-15th. I totally understand that they need to do refurbs but seems like a lot will be going down and nothing is being offered to compensate,IE shows or extended hours. I will make the best of it but only going every 5 to 10 years makes it rough to enjoy everything the park has to offer when so much is down

Im getting more and more frustrated about going sept 10th-15th. I totally understand that they need to do refurbs but seems like a lot will be going down and nothing is being offered to compensate,IE shows or extended hours. I will make the best of it but only going every 5 to 10 years makes it rough to enjoy everything the park has to offer when so much is down

The only things confirmed to be down on those dates are Space, Haunted Mansion and Monster's Inc. Everything else (currently) is only rumor. Every Disney trip I have ever taken (to WDW and DL) has had rides down in Fall, Winter and Spring. It is disappointing, but 3 at this point is kind of normal.

Same here - My wife and I went once in 2013 for our Honeymoon and that was it. Was planning this week because my birthday is Sept. 13. Regardless of what's going on refurb wise and whatever people try to chock up to 'that's how Disneyland is', this is not how planning a vacation should go. Having to book months in advance and then clicking through the website day by day only to find more disappointment. What is so hard about planning refurb/closures with more advance notice??

There are a "whopping" 16 rides with FP and while we are there 3-4 rides will be closed the entire time - or 1/4 of the rides. (oh and FYI - Roger Rabbit is under 'schedule unavailable' on Sept. 5, so who know what that means). For those who are curious, WDW has 44 FP+ rides.

I will forgive them if they extend MSEP... But I know that's unlikely. Thanks for letting me vent.

(oh and FYI - Roger Rabbit is under 'schedule unavailable' on Sept. 5, so who know what that means).

Wow, you're right. Roger Rabbit shows hours up until August 14th and then it's unavailable. If that's another refurb to add to the list, that's just ridiculous. Maybe it's just a website bug...

Same here - My wife and I went once in 2013 for our Honeymoon and that was it. Was planning this week because my birthday is Sept. 13. Regardless of what's going on refurb wise and whatever people try to chock up to 'that's how Disneyland is', this is not how planning a vacation should go. Having to book months in advance and then clicking through the website day by day only to find more disappointment. What is so hard about planning refurb/closures with more advance notice??

There are a "whopping" 16 rides with FP and while we are there 3-4 rides will be closed the entire time - or 1/4 of the rides. (oh and FYI - Roger Rabbit is under 'schedule unavailable' on Sept. 5, so who know what that means). For those who are curious, WDW has 44 FP+ rides.

I will forgive them if they extend MSEP... But I know that's unlikely. Thanks for letting me vent.

While I completely understand your frustration, I don't think it's fair to compare number of FP attractions at DL to WDW. They are two different systems and WDW seems to have FP for everything, whether it needs it or not. DL/DCA actually has more rides overall. So if you're going to compare, make sure you're comparing equitable things.

Yeah, having DCA close at 5 on the 14th plus RBT being closed (so no F! Packages) has got me pretty bummed too! Geez, at least extend your "Summer of Heros" offerings until the 14th or something! But that ends the 10th as well.

Haha! Hence our black hole week name.

Wouldn't be so sad if, like you, we didn't plan this months in advance. If we knew these things were going to happen and accepted them. But it's all just surprises from here on out. And it's not like the tickets are any cheaper....

Wait - where did people find out about reduced staff? We're not going during "black hole week", but are going towards the end of the month. They're really going to have reduced staff for the start of Halloween? I thought they took on more CMs for MHPs.

Wait - where did people find out about reduced staff? We're not going during "black hole week", but are going towards the end of the month. They're really going to have reduced staff for the start of Halloween? I thought they took on more CMs for MHPs.

"Disney is making a small reduction to some Castmember shifts at its domestic parks and resorts beginning with tomorrow’s work week. We hear the cutbacks will run from July 23 through September 30, 2017, the last day of Disney’s fiscal year."

http://blog.touringplans.com/2017/0...rt-employees-see-hours-cut-starting-tomorrow/

Maybe not THAT big of a deal, but when you combine it with everything else going on this week, the rides that won't be down may be a bit slower.

While I completely understand your frustration, I don't think it's fair to compare number of FP attractions at DL to WDW. They are two different systems and WDW seems to have FP for everything, whether it needs it or not. DL/DCA actually has more rides overall. So if you're going to compare, make sure you're comparing equitable things.

I'm not comparing how many rides or systems etc. I'm making the point that 1/4 of the FP rides at DL will be closed for at least a week. In comparison if WDW closed 1/4 of its FP+ rides, ELEVEN rides would be closed. That is unheard of. It's a matter of percentages of the options.

I'm not comparing how many rides or systems etc. I'm making the point that 1/4 of the FP rides at DL will be closed for at least a week. In comparison if WDW closed 1/4 of its FP+ rides, ELEVEN rides would be closed. That is unheard of. It's a matter of percentages of the options.

Epic venting here for us out of towners on black hole week so skip on by if you aren't feeling it:

I think it is hard for locals to "completely understand" the time and money it takes to plan a Disneyland vacation in particular. I mean, there really is only a few places in the world to get that true "Disney" feel. Disneyland is a different experience that I want my kids to have a memory of. Added to the fact that my kids are completely obsessed about Disney in general (I think most kids are....they do a great job of that :scratchin)

Every other large vacation I have planned for my family has had surprises, sure, but I overall knew what I was getting into and what I was paying for. After all, multi day tickets are the same price all year, but you never know what you are paying for with Disneyland until 40ish days before when they finally release the schedule.

I can't book a flight just 40 days beforehand once the schedule is released and expect to get a decent price or even a seat on an airline sometimes. I can't book a hotel anymore in that timeframe and get good availability. But that is disneyland's timeframe for releasing their schedule.

So we have to plan based on past years dates and hours and ride closures. When Disneyland decides to change something big (Like moving Halloween this year plus adding extra stuff) and add in a 5 pm closure, extra overlay closures, plus the usual refurbishments and less hours/entertainment/staff, it is a bummer. The changes are great! Just give us some heads up! 40 days is not a courtesy for your rising prices.

That is the point of this "black hole week" thread. It's about us people who planned ahead of time to accept the shorter hours and refurbishments and such (that's fine, it's a trade off) but based on previous years, Halloween was supposed to be up. Halloween overlays were supposed to be done. If we wanted those problems, us planners would have booked the week before. And by planners, I mean anyone who planned Disneyland just 2 months before Sept 9-14ish. Not obsessive planning honestly. Instead we have all the usual disadvantages plus a slew of others to deal with.

:faint: I'm done. Again, first world prob, but it feels good to rant to people in my same situation. Maybe I just need a rain of positivity after looking at my credit card bill. :sad::scared:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter