• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No WOC 9-14? (Black hole week)

Epic venting here for us out of towners on black hole week so skip on by if you aren't feeling it:

I think it is hard for locals to "completely understand" the time and money it takes to plan a Disneyland vacation in particular. I mean, there really is only a few places in the world to get that true "Disney" feel. Disneyland is a different experience that I want my kids to have a memory of. Added to the fact that my kids are completely obsessed about Disney in general (I think most kids are....they do a great job of that :scratchin)

Every other large vacation I have planned for my family has had surprises, sure, but I overall knew what I was getting into and what I was paying for. After all, multi day tickets are the same price all year, but you never know what you are paying for with Disneyland until 40ish days before when they finally release the schedule.

I can't book a flight just 40 days beforehand once the schedule is released and expect to get a decent price or even a seat on an airline sometimes. I can't book a hotel anymore in that timeframe and get good availability. But that is disneyland's timeframe for releasing their schedule.

So we have to plan based on past years dates and hours and ride closures. When Disneyland decides to change something big (Like moving Halloween this year plus adding extra stuff) and add in a 5 pm closure, extra overlay closures, plus the usual refurbishments and less hours/entertainment/staff, it is a bummer. The changes are great! Just give us some heads up! 40 days is not a courtesy for your rising prices.

That is the point of this "black hole week" thread. It's about us people who planned ahead of time to accept the shorter hours and refurbishments and such (that's fine, it's a trade off) but based on previous years, Halloween was supposed to be up. Halloween overlays were supposed to be done. If we wanted those problems, us planners would have booked the week before. And by planners, I mean anyone who planned Disneyland just 2 months before Sept 9-14ish. Not obsessive planning honestly. Instead we have all the usual disadvantages plus a slew of others to deal with.

:faint: I'm done. Again, first world prob, but it feels good to rant to people in my same situation. Maybe I just need a rain of positivity after looking at my credit card bill. :sad::scared:

I am not local at all either (several states away) and I agree with you that the late release of all info. and hours is frustrating to say the least. Honestly, that is why we have stuck with WDW for the last 4 trips even though it was much further to travel than DL. Because we were able to actually "plan" for that trip, instead of making adjustments at the last minute. I guess my point is, when we decided to really do DL this time for several days, I went into it *knowing* that it would all be last minute with surprises that were likely to be disappointing. This is very often considered a "local's" park, versus WDW that is trying to attract more international travel. DL has the visitors, period.. it doesn't have to "try" as hard as WDW because the locals will always come. For those of us who are traveling from further away and spending a pretty penny to do it, the question becomes, is it worth it? To be honest, my husband would say no. He prefers WDW any day. In other words, I completely understand your point but there is a part of me that feels if it is not "worth it" (either in regards to cash or process) maybe we should stick with WDW or other experiences. However, I am going into this knowing it isn't going to be perfect and wanting to soak in all the little moments regardless. Things like seeing my kids ride a ride for the first time, eating Mickey bars together, singing It's a Small World till we all can't stand it :D ... so many great memories we have made that had nothing to do with what was open or closed. Don't let the bad news ruin the great time that can still be!! :)

... so many great memories we have made that had nothing to do with what was open or closed. Don't let the bad news ruin the great time that can still be!! :)

Well said and absolutely true. The magic can be all around, but if I choose not to see it, then that isn't Disney's fault. For those here who are understandably frustrated, write to Disney to let them know. It probably won't change the schedule at this point, but it is important for management to know what guests are thinking and how these plans impact your visit.

ETA: SM is going down for safety upgrades, not just for the GG overlay. That is the reason for the 2 month estimate. Hopefully they'll be finished sooner than estimated.

Last edited:
If I'm looking at the schedule correctly, it looks like Soarin' is down on Sept. 6, as well. Has anyone heard any rumors about how long it might be down?
It's down the 5th through the 6th so it'll open on the 7th.

Epic venting here for us out of towners on black hole week so skip on by if you aren't feeling it:

I think it is hard for locals to "completely understand" the time and money it takes to plan a Disneyland vacation in particular. I mean, there really is only a few places in the world to get that true "Disney" feel. Disneyland is a different experience that I want my kids to have a memory of. Added to the fact that my kids are completely obsessed about Disney in general (I think most kids are....they do a great job of that :scratchin)

Agreed! I was originally thinking about going late August, but then with no difference in the schedule, I figured 'why not go on my birthday?'. At least I'll have that.

eating Mickey bars together, singing It's a Small World till we all can't stand it :D

THIS I think we can ALL agree on! No matter your age!

Last edited by a moderator:

Why would Soarin' be down for 2 or 3 days?? What's the point? I agree it must be so frustrating to go at this time - I'm there mid Oct and I really hope most things are open then!

Does anyone know how long Goofy's Sky School will be closed? I can never figure out how to see that certain view on the Disney website (I think it's on the map?) that shows the refurbishment start and end dates. Thanks!
I just looked and it's showing normal operating hours for the week of September 3rd. The map dates only go to the 9th as of today. So hopefully that was just an error on someone's part, and it won't be down?

I just looked and it's showing normal operating hours for the week of September 3rd. The map dates only go to the 9th as of today. So hopefully that was just an error on someone's part, and it won't be down?

Does anyone know how long Goofy's Sky School will be closed? I can never figure out how to see that certain view on the Disney website (I think it's on the map?) that shows the refurbishment start and end dates. Thanks!

I looked up the .au official Disneyland website because I learned they typically post the refurbishments earlier on that site. Definitely could change, but here is where you can see goofy going down starting Aug 21

Be patient to see if it pops up on the schedule. Sometimes they're slow putting WOC up. If it doesn't you can see the fireworks from Fantasmic, you just can't see the projections.

If you have to skip one, skip the fireworks show. WDW shows you're used to will be much better than DL's old fireworks show.

Considering when you're going I take it you're regretting your trip because ride closures?... I hope you can find stuff to look forward to, if you spend the trip upset about what isn't open or what you're missing or whatever, you'll miss out on the fun that is available. Wait, doesn't Halloween start 9/15? You managed to plan your trip for the very weekend Halloween starts? That's awesome. HMH will be up!
They now do projections around the Rivers of America, really they are now a great place to watch the Fireworks.

My recommendation for the OP is book a Fantasmic! Package for the first show and stay there to watch the Fireworks and book WOC for the other night.

And really, DL's fireworks shows are much better than WDW ones that I have seen, although I haven't seen their new ones, but you definitely don't have to be at the castle to enjoy them.

The reality is you are coming during the off season and there will be things closed and things that are running weekends only and some of that is due to laws about when they can and can't do certain things due to how close they are to houses.

Also, consider yourself lucky that any info is up for September, often we don't get info until about 2_3 weeks beforehand and again a lot of that is because of factors that are outside of Disney's control so they are physically unable to provide the information as they don't even know.

Probably forever as it will get rethemed to Pixar as part of Pixar Pier next year or it may finally get completely replaced, which is needed desperately. And if they are going to have Pixar Pier early next year they will need to start on it soon as they aren't going to be able to close too much at once.

This exactly. I keep telling my friends from out of state to come during the summer, and they don't believe me! I talked to so many visitors this year during those hellishly busy "off-season" times who were upset because the Internet had promised them a "ghost town," and instead they got crowds, rides down for refurb, short hours, limited entertainment, etc.

What I wish is that Disney would just acknowledge that there IS no off-season, and that they'd extend hours and add entertainment accordingly.

Disney World has.... you definitely see ride refurbs in January and February, but nothing crazy, and they still have the nighttime entertainment and the hours are longer than DL. Lots of cast members have told us "There is no off season anymore." Disneyland needs to read the memo!

We are going to Disneyland for our first trip in either late January or February. It's in conjunction with seeing family, but I'm a little apprehensive about what it's going to be like. I have 11 trips to WDW under my belt, and we are spending a week at the Polynesian in a few weeks, so I'm really looking forward to the rides at DL. We have a one year old, so if WOC etc isn't running, it's not a huge deal because she'll be in bed, but hopefully there aren't too many rides and closures!

Again not everyone has he ability to travel during US summer break or the Christmas season.
As I have said many times before, Disney charges the same year round, they aren't selling discounted off season tickets so they shouldn't treat these visitors as such second rate guests.

This is why WDW has seasonal pricing... they charge differently based on season. Even the food is cheaper or more expensive based on time of year.

Disney World has.... you definitely see ride refurbs in January and February, but nothing crazy, and they still have the nighttime entertainment and the hours are longer than DL. Lots of cast members have told us "There is no off season anymore." Disneyland needs to read the memo!

We are going to Disneyland for our first trip in either late January or February. It's in conjunction with seeing family, but I'm a little apprehensive about what it's going to be like. I have 11 trips to WDW under my belt, and we are spending a week at the Polynesian in a few weeks, so I'm really looking forward to the rides at DL. We have a one year old, so if WOC etc isn't running, it's not a huge deal because she'll be in bed, but hopefully there aren't too many rides and closures!
Oddly enough the past three weeks have really felt like an off season, FP return times are fast, standby lines are short, walkways aren't crowded, even on Saturday. It has been strange for the time of year, but has definitely been great.

Oddly enough the past three weeks have really felt like an off season, FP return times are fast, standby lines are short, walkways aren't crowded, even on Saturday. It has been strange for the time of year, but has definitely been great.
That's because everyone is waiting to show up on black hole week! (Haha) :teleport:

Last edited:
That's because everyone is waiting to show up on black hole week! (Haha) :teleport:
Actually I think we will see higher crowds the week before August 20th and not,this black hole week in September (really Disney is probably ly still negotiating what they are allowed to do), but the week before August 20th is typically very low attendance, the problem is that MSEP ends on August 20th, which will make it quite a bit busier that week, as this really will have to be its final run unless they rebuild all of the floats from the ground up since they are literally falling apart, which is one of the reasons that there are so many floats missing. You should be seeing lighter than normal crowds in mid September, although blackout will have been lifted, but all schools will be back in session by then. Again this is part of the reason that you don't see much information online, I wouldn't worry and just go and have fun.

Actually I think we will see higher crowds the week before August 20th and not,this black hole week in September (really Disney is probably ly still negotiating what they are allowed to do), but the week before August 20th is typically very low attendance, the problem is that MSEP ends on August 20th, which will make it quite a bit busier that week, as this really will have to be its final run unless they rebuild all of the floats from the ground up since they are literally falling apart, which is one of the reasons that there are so many floats missing. You should be seeing lighter than normal crowds in mid September, although blackout will have been lifted, but all schools will be back in session by then. Again this is part of the reason that you don't see much information online, I wouldn't worry and just go and have fun.
AP blackouts are still in affect the last week of the parade. I expect it to be crowded starting August 21 when the So Cal APs are no longer blocked out.

AP blackouts are still in affect the last week of the parade. I expect it to be crowded starting August 21 when the So Cal APs are no longer blocked out.
I fully expect to see many of the APs that are blacked out buying one day passes for the 19th and 20th, especially the 20th, I would expect Disneyland to reach capacity and stop admitting guests by about 2 PM at the latest on the 20th, UNLESS Disney extends MSEP to labor day, which is possible, but I can't see it running past that.

And yes I do think that really is a possibility and a very likely one.

THIS might be the cherry on top for this horror of a week...

I booked Plaza Inn breakfast on Sept. 13 for my birthday at 9:40am. This is my actual birthday and I was telling my wife when we booked this vacation 3 months ago how fun it would be to do that as a special celebration at the end of our trip. Well... wouldn't you believe it, even though I have a confirmed reservation in my plans, Plaza just came up as closed for renovations on Sept. 11 and when you now go to book a reservation, Sep. 11-13 are blocked off. It's only a matter of time before I get the call from Disneyland...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter