Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

PSA from a Floridian here: as folks are starting to work on costume ideas, do keep in mind that late April here in central FL is the equivalent of high summer in most of the rest of the country. Chances of it being HOT and HUMID are high! Always possible we could get a little cool front, but that late into April, it's not real likely. I'd err on the side of dressing for the heat - avg for that time of year is a high in the mid-80s, overnight low in the 60s.
I've definitely got this on my mind and am a bit nervous about it. But I'm mentally preparing for it and know that it's what I signed up for. It won't come as a shock. But the late April date is why I was disappointed to see what I thought was a 5:00 am start time change to 5:30. I'd gladly take a half hour earlier wake up call in exchange for a half hour more of pre-sunrise race time. I won't be expecting a cold front that day, but cloud cover would be nice to at least take away a bit of the sun factor. I find that sun is more noticeable to me than humidity. But at least they have plenty of water stops throughout the course.

Maybe I'm naive, but having run a couple of Disneyland 1/2 races over Labor Day weekend, the heat doesn't concern me as much as it used to. Those temps sound maybe a bit better than what that weekend can bring.

Maybe I'm naive, but having run a couple of Disneyland 1/2 races over Labor Day weekend, the heat doesn't concern me as much as it used to. Those temps sound maybe a bit better than what that weekend can bring.

Disneyland doesn't get the humidity you get in Florida. Heat isn't the killer - its the 90% humidity in the heat that is.

Disneyland doesn't get the humidity you get in Florida. Heat isn't the killer - its the 90% humidity in the heat that is.

This. Granted I have never been to Anaheim, but I've been a couple of other places in Southern California and there is a huge difference between a hot day there and a hot day in Orlando.

Hey guys, I am currently registered for the half and was wondering if there is a process to upgrade to the challenge? I noticed today that it is not sold out yet. I did the challenge for the light side and want to do it again for the dark. Thanks

Hey guys, I am currently registered for the half and was wondering if there is a process to upgrade to the challenge? I noticed today that it is not sold out yet. I did the challenge for the light side and want to do it again for the dark. Thanks

From the runDisney website.
  • Registrations may be transferred within the same race weekend, to a different race distance, as long as the desired race distance is not sold out. The Guest must first register for the new event for the transfer to be valid; any difference in registration price the for a lesser distance (if any) will then be refunded, less a $45 transfer processing fee.
After you sign up for the new race, they should refund you your initial race fee less the $45, but I'd probably email them to make sure they are aware of what you are doing.

From the runDisney website.
  • Registrations may be transferred within the same race weekend, to a different race distance, as long as the desired race distance is not sold out. The Guest must first register for the new event for the transfer to be valid; any difference in registration price the for a lesser distance (if any) will then be refunded, less a $45 transfer processing fee.
After you sign up for the new race, they should refund you your initial race fee less the $45, but I'd probably email them to make sure they are aware of what you are doing.

I will say that the deadline on the change request form was January 19th. Not sure how lenient they are with this deadline.

I will say that the deadline on the change request form was January 19th. Not sure how lenient they are with this deadline.
I would call runDisney and ask if they are accepting transfers past the deadline. I was able to transfer to Dopey over a month after the deadline.

I totally agree with this! I grew up in SoCal and lived there for about 30 years. Then we moved to Florida, and oh boy, it was brutal in comparison to back home with the humidity! I did adjust a bit, but the humidity is still a serious factor for me even after six years in Florida and 11 total in the south. Now i'm in the northeast so we'll see how I fare with the heat and humidity for this race.

I would call runDisney and ask if they are accepting transfers past the deadline. I was able to transfer to Dopey over a month after the deadline.

I just called runDisney and they told to me just ignore the end date on the transfer form. So I just have to purchase the Challenge then send in that form and the half will be refunded minus the $45 change fee.

I just called runDisney and they told to me just ignore the end date on the transfer form. So I just have to purchase the Challenge then send in that form and the half will be refunded minus the $45 change fee.

That's great! (They keep the Active fees from the first registration too).

I've definitely got this on my mind and am a bit nervous about it. But I'm mentally preparing for it and know that it's what I signed up for. It won't come as a shock. But the late April date is why I was disappointed to see what I thought was a 5:00 am start time change to 5:30. I'd gladly take a half hour earlier wake up call in exchange for a half hour more of pre-sunrise race time. I won't be expecting a cold front that day, but cloud cover would be nice to at least take away a bit of the sun factor. I find that sun is more noticeable to me than humidity. But at least they have plenty of water stops throughout the course.
Totally agree - I'm shocked to see the change in start time coupled with the later date this year! And yesyesYES on the sun being the major factor: the combination of having it burning down on us, plus the radiant heat coming up form the asphalt, is no joke. I'm just assuming I'll be dumping water over my head at every stop, lol!

Totally agree - I'm shocked to see the change in start time coupled with the later date this year! And yesyesYES on the sun being the major factor: the combination of having it burning down on us, plus the radiant heat coming up form the asphalt, is no joke. I'm just assuming I'll be dumping water over my head at every stop, lol!

Not sure why this would be, but wonder if the start time could have anything to do with the course change? It's starting in a different place correct?(hopefully I'm not confusing it with Wine & Dine)

Not sure why this would be, but wonder if the start time could have anything to do with the course change? It's starting in a different place correct?(hopefully I'm not confusing it with Wine & Dine)
That's my thought, too. They definitely wanted us OUT of WWOS ASAP after the aces last year, so maybe they had a timeline that required the earlier start. I had assumed then that the 5am start was for weather, but maybe not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter