OK, I'll say it... we are too sensitive

So playing THAT recording means racism is acceptable?

I certainly don't want to listen to any songs performed by a woman who was a racist. Yes, to me that would be like saying that racism is acceptable. I also won't watch Mel Gibson movies, so, yup, that's how I roll.

Are you really not understanding? If Pepsi Cola decided not to make Quetzalcoatl the face of their brand because of his sordid history with human sacrifice, I would agree that they, as a company who wants to protect their image, have the right to make those kind of decisions for their brand. It doesn’t matter that Quetzalcoatl was simply a product of his time when human sacrifice was legal and acceptable. Pepsi is free to decide they don’t want to be associated with it. That is true for any organization regarding any person or subject matter they deem controversial, no matter if that person is living or dead, a part of ancient history, modern history, or present day society. It’s a very simple concept.

You run back to it being the company's choice whenever I question what you say. I already said that I realize it is their choice and yes I get the concept Please do not be patronizing because it turns the conversation to something it shouldn't be. But I didn't question that part.

I questioned why you keep comparing Kate Smith to Bill Cosby and others that have done ILLEGAL things today not sang a song 50 years ago. Didn't say anything about a Company's choice.

Right, I'm sure after all these years, in this day and age it's pure coincidence they decided to drop her song.
If you believe that I have a great deal on some ocean front property in Nebraska that I'm sure you'll love.

Thanks for the chuckle, hon.

Your posts are usually good for a few laughs.

The issue lies in I'm a white man. In today's PC society everyone gets a say in what I should feel, what I can or can't say, what I can or can't do. If I disagree I'm a racist, bigot, etc... In this way the PC culture is out of control.
Yes, white males are mostly portrayed to be the root of all evil in todays society. Heaven forbid you don't align correctly...
You are certain to be called racist, sexist, homophobic etc.

Sorry but if you (the general you) feel certain ways then you are a racist, bigot, etc. It has nothing with being PC. It just is.

I love when a disenfranchised white man posts on threads like these.
It's perfectly ok to slam the white males, huh??

But get in an uproar if anything is said disparaging about other races, sexual orientation, religion, etc.!!!
You like to preach only about certain agendas, but not respect all? Got it!!!!

Yup, call me crazy, but racism will always offend me.

Thanks for proving my point, and now that the statue of this horrible woman has been removed can we move on?
You know I might agree with you if this actually did something. But let's face it this is just a hollow gesture to make a handful of people feel better about themselves. The problem is it's just never enough is it? So on to the next thing "somebody" finds offensive. But hey if it makes you "feel" better great.

You run back to it being the company's choice whenever I question what you say. I already said that I realize it is their choice and yes I get the concept Please do not be patronizing because it turns the conversation to something it shouldn't be. But I didn't question that part.

I questioned why you keep comparing Kate Smith to Bill Cosby and others that have done ILLEGAL things today not sang a song 50 years ago. Didn't say anything about a Company's choice.
Because, as I said earlier in the thread, I’m not talking about the legality of it. I’m talking about the morality of their actions and whether a company would want to be tied to someone when a significant portion of today’s society would view their behavior as repugnant.

FTR, rape hasn’t always been illegal throughout cultures across time. And yet, I still find it repulsive, no matter when it occurred or its “acceptability” at the time. It’s not the illegality of Cosby’s actions that caused his fall from grace, it was the public’s disgust regarding his behavior. Smith’s racist lyrics will (rightfully) disgust a lot of people, even when they account for the era those lyrics were written. Those teams were smart to let this one slip away into the historical abyss.

Thanks for proving my point, and now that the statue of this horrible woman has been removed can we move on?
You know I might agree with you if this actually did something. But let's face it this is just a hollow gesture to make a handful of people feel better about themselves. The problem is it's just never enough is it? So on to the next thing "somebody" finds offensive. But hey if it makes you "feel" better great.

It's much better than if they found out she was a racist and did nothing.

I didn't really think I was going out on a limb there by saying racism, even from 80 years ago, offends me. I think it's more telling of the kind of person you are that you aren't offended. But you are entitled to your opinion, of course.

Yes, white males are mostly portrayed to be the root of all evil in todays society. Heaven forbid you don't align correctly...
You are certain to be called racist, sexist, homophobic etc.

You get called those things if the shoe fits. And it does seem like those who get called those things are more offended by being called those things than speaking/acting in the way that represents them as such. It's pretty easy to avoid being called those things, trust me! There's only one thing you gotta do!

I, as a white person, don't get a say in what any minority person feels about a particular subject. If they are offended it is not my place to say that they shouldn't be. Why does anyone else think they get to make that decision about how anyone else feels?

Also, now that her history is well known, how would you feel if you were a black baseball player hearing someone that sang such trash sing a song as a "tradition" during the sport you love and play?

I hate that being PC gets thrown around as being a bad thing. Why is being aware of how someone else feels and making changes a bad thing?

So what if they are not offended? Then it is also not your place to say that they should be, correct?

However, you go on to ask how we would feel if we were a black baseball player. But just said you were white and don’t get a say on behalf of what any minority person feels about a particular subject.

???

That is the difference - racism is always going to be unacceptable to me, and I will always judge a person for being racist.

Yup, call me crazy, but racism will always offend me.

I’m curious, have you or your family members been directly affected by racism? You seem to be extremely offended.

It's perfectly ok to slam the white males, huh??

But get in an uproar if anything is said disparaging about other races, sexual orientation, religion, etc.!!!
You like to preach only about certain agendas, but not respect all? Got it!!!!

No it's not ok to slam white males, or anyone. I just find it funny that a white man comes to a thread about racism and feels offended because others are offended. White men...the most privileged demographic in American history complaining about racism. Do you not find that a bit ironic?

And the same ones scream it every time. All anyone is saying is that, yes, if we look back now, we know those songs she sang were wrong. But AT THE TIME, they didn't see an issue with it. Some REFUSE to understand that. Some keep talking about hurting feelings and such but how many are actually listening to these songs from that long ago? If you aren't how exactly are they hurting feelings or being offensive?

Funny, IRL, conversations don't go this way at all. LOL most people honestly do not care about what someone did that long ago and don't go around comparing to things that happen today.
This is a lie.

People knew darn well those songs we wrong, vile, degrading... But they did not give a damn because they were not the ones being demeaned.

I won’t post a link because I totally understand the word being insensitive, but I just listened to the first half of Kate’s recording of the song whose title begins “That’s why...”

If I had heard that recording two weeks ago when Kate Smith showed up in an unrelated YouTube search I would have said “I didn’t realize she was so outspoken against slavery.”

The song is sung in such a dramatic, tragic and sympathetic tone that I am beyond shocked that people are equating it to her being racist. I got the exact opposite vibe.

I don’t know if my disconnect is my own ignorance to racial sensitivities or if it’s because other people are reacting without doing their own research but either way it is absolutely eye opening.

You get called those things if the shoe fits. And it does seem like those who get called those things are more offended by being called those things than speaking/acting in the way that represents them as such. It's pretty easy to avoid being called those things, trust me! There's only one thing you gotta do!

Gender reassignment?

So what if they are not offended? Then it is also not your place to say that they should be, correct?

However, you go on to ask how we would feel if we were a black baseball player. But just said you were white and don’t get a say on behalf of what any minority person feels about a particular subject??

I’m curious, have you or your family members been directly affected by racism? You seem to be extremely offended.

Isn't everyone affected by racism? And yes, I am offended. I'm offended that people still argue that racism is ok because it was ok in the past. It is not. White, black, Asian, Hispanic. It's not ok for anyone.

And not once in my post did I say how anyone should feel, one way or the other. I ASKED how you would feel if you were a black baseball player. I didn't STATE how you should feel. Just consider the other side, for one moment, that's all any of us should do.

The shoe fits line is just a stereotype, and it's being used negatively against white males...
And I thought that "type casting" individuls/groups only perpetuates the hate?

No it's not ok to slam white males, or anyone. I just find it funny that a white man comes to a thread about racism and feels offended because others are offended. White men...the most privileged demographic in American history complaining about racism. Do you not find that a bit ironic?
I think that the above poster was expressing his opinion, which he is entitled to.
Then you slammed him. At least own your own words.
Hope you don't live in a glass house......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter