OK, I'll say it... we are too sensitive

Sorry but if you (the general you) feel certain ways then you are a racist, bigot, etc. It has nothing with being PC. It just is.

I love when a disenfranchised white man posts on threads like these.

Funny how you just proved that poster's point.

Not necessarily. But when the past does come to light it is ok to make changes based on new information. People do that every day.

Yes, people do do that every day, and again I ask where do we draw the line?
For me personally I don't judge people from 80 years ago by today's standards. I can accept that it was a different world back then.
A woman sings songs that at the time were acceptable, I don't see a need now to change things. Those 2 songs don't take away whatever she did for the Flyers. (I don't know much about her history with them, but apparently she was something of a good luck charm).
Up until a few days ago how many people even knew anything about her?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No foolin'. To pretend that it wasn't a mainstay of the past is disingenuous. But you can't look at it and decide that because it was wrong, it should be erased. Accept it. We, the American people, are fatally flawed in the way we treated the African American community post Civil War. And for many that includes today. But singing a socially accepted song in the 1930s that was a hit doesn't brand a person for life. It makes them human just as it makes all the people who listened to that song and made it a hit, human. Just like it makes Paul Robeson, an African American activist who also sang that song, human. Do we discard all the good he did after he sang that song? Do we erase him? No, we accept that he is flawed, just as we all are.

No one is erasing anything, and no one is saying that racism wasn't a mainstay of the past. You choose what flaws you'll accept in a person, and I will choose for myself. "Socially acceptable" doesn't equal "Morally acceptable". You choose your morality, and I'll choose mine. Racism is always wrong, and always unacceptable, whether some are ok with it, or not.

[
Fifty songs, one song, her private diary entries, a racial slur she once carved in a tree, Kathy Griffin’s controversial political stunt, Lori Laughlin’s college cheating... it doesn’t matter what it is. Once an organization feels a person’s image is no longer good for their brand, they’re free to cut ties.

I don’t have the slightest interest in baseball nor do I know anything about their museum, but seeing that it’s a museum and museums are places for historical preservation — the good, bad, and ugly aspects of history — then I would say that racist memorabilia is right where it belongs.

Why on earth do you keep comparing 50 year old songs to things that other celebrities have done NOW? And several you mentioned are illegal to boot! Can we at least stay in the same ballpark?

As far as I can tell, the Yankees didn't cower to anybody. There was no PC outrage demanding they stop playing her version of God Bless America. 99% of people were unaware of those other old songs until recently. The Yankees, then the Flyers, chose to drop God Bless America of their own accord after learning of the other songs. It's the teams' prerogative to do so for whatever reasons they choose.

If, after a backlash, the Yankees and Flyers reinstate the song, you'll know who they're cowering to. Maybe they should tell the people who are outraged over the song being dropped to grow a pair.

Right, I'm sure after all these years, in this day and age it's pure coincidence they decided to drop her song.
If you believe that I have a great deal on some ocean front property in Nebraska that I'm sure you'll love.

At what point do we draw a line?
Do we have to research every single person from 50+ years ago to make sure they didn't do something we deem unacceptable by today's standards?

I don't think that's logical, but if something negative does come out about someone's past it would be in the interest of anyone using this person to represent their "brand" to take a good look at it and decide what is best for them.

I don't think that's logical, but if something negative does come out about someone's past it would be in the interest of anyone using this person to represent their "brand" to take a good look at it and decide what is best for them.

OK, where do we draw the line?
How about Walt Disney? Somehow I get the feeling the same won't apply to his past, at least to those on this board anyway.

The same posters defend racism every time. Pretty predictable.

And the same ones scream it every time. All anyone is saying is that, yes, if we look back now, we know those songs she sang were wrong. But AT THE TIME, they didn't see an issue with it. Some REFUSE to understand that. Some keep talking about hurting feelings and such but how many are actually listening to these songs from that long ago? If you aren't how exactly are they hurting feelings or being offensive?

Funny, IRL, conversations don't go this way at all. LOL most people honestly do not care about what someone did that long ago and don't go around comparing to things that happen today.

without getting political, both sides have their hot button issues. PC works both ways
At the same time, those that claim to be upset by the PC crowd and complain about everyone else getting too easily offended, tend to get easily offended and upset about silly things like this topic constantly. Weird.

Exactly, I’ve always found it hilarious (and sad, and very scary, frankly) that the people who complain the most about “PC” and “sensitivity” also tend to be the very people who embrace the American Exceptionalism agenda and put pressure on textbook manufacturers to whitewash and sterilize American history so that America always looks like it’s in the right (like those Natives who cheerfully went to Oklahoma, dancing all the way *iRoll*).

Can't we all just get along?
Not as long as there are people who are clearly second-class citizens, nope! Telling people to “just get along” is basically saying, “Suck it up, buttercup! We know your life sucks and we just don’t care. In fact, here’s a couple more things we can say to remind you exactly how much it sucks. Enjoy!”

[

Why on earth do you keep comparing 50 year old songs to things that other celebrities have done NOW? And several you mentioned are illegal to boot! Can we at least stay in the same ballpark?
Are you really not understanding? If Pepsi Cola decided not to make Quetzalcoatl the face of their brand because of his sordid history with human sacrifice, I would agree that they, as a company who wants to protect their image, have the right to make those kind of decisions for their brand. It doesn’t matter that Quetzalcoatl was simply a product of his time when human sacrifice was legal and acceptable. Pepsi is free to decide they don’t want to be associated with it. That is true for any organization regarding any person or subject matter they deem controversial, no matter if that person is living or dead, a part of ancient history, modern history, or present day society. It’s a very simple concept.

Disney pulled a most of their offensive material. I do not think anyone would say that was a bad decision. Times change and you need to change with them or get left behind.

They did and I think it was the right thing to do. BUT, Walt Disney the man was pretty offensive himself by today's standards. I am fairly certain if one looks at enough interviews, enough minutes from meetings, etc; they will find some pretty offensive quotes in there.

Not as long as there are people who are clearly second-class citizens, nope! Telling people to “just get along” is basically saying, “Suck it up, buttercup! We know your life sucks and we just don’t care. In fact, here’s a couple more things we can say to remind you exactly how much it sucks. Enjoy!”

I wasn't aware there were any "second class citizens" in this country in 2019. But what I do know is that blaming others instead of taking the advantages offered here in the 21st century will get you absolutely nowhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter