• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Parking???

I'll say! :scared1:

But look at how the price of disney parkhoppers has increased in that time. Has it been more than $6/night for a family of four?

Disney can make their increases in other places, Loews can't.

Universal prices are way down for hopper passes as well, so we are saving money is other places (even though Loews doesn't get that money).

Disney -- one day park hopper $112
Universal -- one day park hopper $77

My point is that yes, it is annoying that the hotels charge for parking but IMO, Universal more than makes up for that with their pricing.

in regular season, the values are now going for $94 a night.
i can remember when i first stayed at all star sports with the boys the year the place opened paying $59 a night.

it's so not worth paying over $100 which includes the 13% tax for assp each night.

with the ap or aaa, you can get a room at universal onsite for sometimes $129 + tax...

when i look at it that way, value at disney for over $100, deluxe at universal for a 1/3 more, it's a deal!

I still think, even with paying for parking at USO hotels, it's a huge savings comparing apples to apples.

Forget the FOTL for a minute, as well as park tix. Just compare what it would cost for me to stay 4/28 thru 5/5 at a WDW deluxe, AKL, (their cheapest deluxe, BTW, according to the CM who quoted me these rates two weeks ago) and HRH at USO (what I would consider equal with one of WDW "nicer" deluxes). Same discount at each hotel, FL resident/annual passholder.

3 adults in one room:

AKL $285 per night (would have been 260 per night if two adults)
HRH $129 per night, +25 for the extra adult, +12 per night parking = $166 per night.

Now, the rate does go up on the weekends, so let me take that into account:

$144 for four of the nights, + the 25, + the 12, $181 per weekend night.

Sooo, seven nights, three adults, one room, parking fees, four nights being weekend nights, $1,222 at HRH.

Seven nights at AKL would cost us $1,995.

A savings of $773, even paying the $12 a day parking.

The savings increases when you take into account all the merchandise and dining discounts you get with a USO AP vs. a WDW AP. We tend to buy more "stuff" wherever we're staying.

So, when you really break it down and compare apples to apples, the USO hotels are a far better value than the WDW hotels, IMO -- comparing deluxe to deluxe, since USO doesn't have value resorts comparable with WDW moderates or values. Although, even when I called WDW a couple weeks, CSR, with FL resident/APH discount, was $159 per night for the same week I gave the HRH quotes above. So even comparing USO hotels with a WDW moderate, USO was still a huge savings.

Let's do a comparison. Let's choose the "best" of the deluxes at each resort.

Vacation: 6 nights/7 days
May 11 - May 17th
fake family: 2 adults, 2 children ages 10 & 12

Disney

Grand Floridian Magic Your Way Package
Code ZHD
Room: Theme Park View
Hoppers: (4) 7 day MYW tickets with Park Hopping Privs (NO non-expiry)
Total for the week: $4,672.36

Universal
Portofino - Deluxe Room Supersaver rate of $279.00 per night = $1674
(4) 7 day ticket special with park hopping @ $85.00 each = $340.00
Add these together = $2014.00
Now add parking = $72.00
Total at Universal - $2086.00

Difference between the week at Disney vs. The week at Universal: $2,587.
That's ALOT of parking Disney builds into their rates :Teeth:

Yea, the facts are correct.......WDW is WAY more expensive! There is NO denying it. Here is the thing though........if you are a WDW Resort guest.....you can also park at the parks for free also. At UO, if for some strange reason, you are staying at one of the hotels, and decide to drive and park at the UO garage.........it will cost you . Its not free for Resort guests. I think my main problem with the Resort parking fee, is that it jumped from $7. to $12. OVERNIGHT.
My example..........
We stayed at RPR club level during Christmas/New Years 2005/2006, and didnt know anything about the parking fee, until we checked in. "O.K. $7. per night.......fine." We also had a rollaway, and didnt know they charged $25. per night untill we checked out! I tried arguing that fact to no avail........in the end our room cost us approx $525. per night with parking ,taxes and the rollaway added in. The reservation was for $459 per night. I guess that why I feel I am getting nickel and dimed to death.
Well, I got over the $7 parking fee, and booked HRH/PBR for 2 weeks in 2006 and *much* later,got an e-mail that said rates have jumped up to $12 !!! Overnight.......with no explination, or "granfathering" in pre-existing reservations at the $7. rate.I called them and they basically said too bad if you already had a reservation.......the parking is now 12. FIRM! We had reserved for 16 nights.......club level.......do the math on the parking fee.......almost $200. bucks!!! I was mad they wouldnt even consider waiving the parking fee.......so I cancelled. They lost a lot more than $192. it made me feel better.......at the time. BUT........
Yes.......after the fact we ALL agreed we missed it too much to not go back. It was a mistake to cancel.The resorts are 4 star, and the express pass is worth the rates they charge. We have decided to go back in Jan 2008........and I will just have to leave my "principal" in the car, in my $12. parking spot. Hopefully by then they wont raise the rates to $17. per night!!!!!
With WDW, although the rates are higher.......at least you know that nothing but taxes will be added on top of the rate. I guess it makes you feel better on the surface.........but you are all right.......we are paying a LOT to park in WDW !!!!
O.K. Rant over........Now we have to figure out if we are staying at RPR,HRH or PBH !
Later..........Syndrome

syndrome, i am glad you are returning to stay on site.

i vote for you to stay at hrh.

but, the rooms are larger at pbh.

Thanks mac,
We are really stumped this time for some reason. We have decided to stay club level.......pretty much for the easy, quick breakfast with the kids in the AM, and the nice desserts at night.
We ALL REALLY like the RPH........rooms are so dang small though. Did I say we REALLY like the RPH! And the RPH club lounge!:love:
Kids......(teens,pre-tens), want to stay at HRH obviously!:rockband:
But the adults (parents) want to stay at PBH, bigger rooms for almost the same rate as HRH. :cloud9:
Tough one for us this go around.......rph club would be the most cost effective but a little cramped!!! :crowded: :scared:

Well at least we have some time to decide.......still waiting for AAA rates to come out.

Sorry for the derailment of the thread !!!:rolleyes1

Later.........Syndrome

book now and modify the ressie when the rates come out.

i made a list of the foods at the club lounge.
think that thread is pages back
if i can get it, i'll send it to you.

Turns out to be quite the thread about "parking"....eh?

Turns out to be quite the thread about "parking"....eh?

one of the reasons i gave to the mods that we needed a "chat " thread so we wouldn't get side tracked and hijack on going threads.

ok, give me the flogging now.......i'm guilty

Sorry, I am guilty too!
Well, are there any more "parking" questions that I can complain about !!! :rolleyes1 :teeth:
Later........Syndrome

Thanks mac,
We are really stumped this time for some reason. We have decided to stay club level.......pretty much for the easy, quick breakfast with the kids in the AM, and the nice desserts at night.
We ALL REALLY like the RPH........rooms are so dang small though. Did I say we REALLY like the RPH! And the RPH club lounge!:love:
Kids......(teens,pre-tens), want to stay at HRH obviously!:rockband:
But the adults (parents) want to stay at PBH, bigger rooms for almost the same rate as HRH. :cloud9:
Tough one for us this go around.......rph club would be the most cost effective but a little cramped!!! :crowded: :scared:

Well at least we have some time to decide.......still waiting for AAA rates to come out.

Sorry for the derailment of the thread !!!:rolleyes1

Later.........Syndrome

Do what we do. We stay at PBH for us. But to satisfy the kids, we reserve a cabana for the day at HRH.

And to stay on topic - it is an easy walk - no need to drive and park :goodvibes

Well, whether you want to complain or not...I just received an email about the cost.
For self-parking, the rate is $15 per day and valet is $20 per day.

Well, whether you want to complain or not...I just received an email about the cost.
For self-parking, the rate is $15 per day and valet is $20 per day.

Glad I've got my confirmation where it says $12. They had better honour that!

Glad I've got my confirmation where it says $12. They had better honour that!

say a prayer and cross your fingers it will be honored.

take that confirmation with you damo.

heck, i can remember when parking was $6

btw, my confirmation says $12 also for the hotel

Well, I got over the $7 parking fee, and booked HRH/PBR for 2 weeks in 2006 and *much* later,got an e-mail that said rates have jumped up to $12 !!! Overnight.......with no explination, or "granfathering" in pre-existing reservations at the $7. rate.I called them and they basically said too bad if you already had a reservation.......the parking is now 12. FIRM!

Sorry to say, but, been there-done that. The last time they raised parking rates........I had a confirmation stating $7. parking fee........when it jumped to $12. After I got the e-mail I called and they basicaly said "too bad, the rate is NOW $12.......period, it doesnt matter what the confirmation states." I even talked to a supervisor/manager about it........no-go, they would not honor the lower parking rate! Thats what got me a mad.........so I cancelled the reservation on the spot..........they didnt even seem to care I was cancelling a 16 night club room reservation because of a small issue of parking !!!!:confused3 :mad:

Anyway.........you guys better call and see what kind of answer you get. I hope they will still honor the $12. rate for you.

$15. per night to park !!! :rotfl: !!!They are getting crazy now.........funny how I just mentioned last night about them raising the rates again. Somehow I had a feeling it was coming! That wont stop me from going this time!

Later...........Syndrome

Anyway.........you guys better call and see what kind of answer you get. I hope they will still honor the $12. rate for you.

$15. per night to park !!! :rotfl: !!!They are getting crazy now.........funny how I just mentioned last night about them raising the rates again. Somehow I had a feeling it was coming! That wont stop me from going this time!

Later...........Syndrome

Just confirmed it by calling HRH 407-503-2000 and it is true. Parking is now $15 per night at all three Universal Loews Hotels. Wow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter