People underestimate Disney

You know you plan too much when your spontaneous trips get planned. We decided to drive to the beach one day(5hour drive from home) and decided why not just drive a few more hours and be at WDW. Booked reservations and tickets on the phone half way and then started booking FP and dining on the drive down just to get the best stuff we could. Ended up getting everything we wanted done because of that little planning.

So unless you know what to do and expect, it could really ruin a trip. But the planning is the fun part for me.
absolutely!

I do lots of planning and love it. My favorite part of vacation is when DH is like "so where are we having lunch?" He is not into being excited before we go (while I count down in my head) or planning or anything, but once we are there, it is important :)

We went to the beach last week (we live 20 minutes away) and a lady with her kids asked where we were from. I told her we were local and she said they were on vacation from Ohio. She said they did one day at Disney and won't ever be going back. I asked her if she planned her dining and fast passes ahead of time and she said she didn't know you could do that. When I took Dh on his first Disney trip 4 years ago I read an 800 page book about Disney/Universal to help me plan everything. I would say 99% of the people I've heard complaining about Disney are because they didn't plan at all. I've heard so many people say "I hated waiting in line all day and didn't want to pay for that fast pass thing".

It's interesting to me how many people do have the perception that they have to pay for fast passes at Disney. That's true at many other parks, but not WDW. But I've heard that line, too.

People complain about disney nickel and diming everyone, but I think as far as parks go they're pretty reasonable. You pay a lot to get in but it's fairly inclusive from there. You can ask for water at any quick service for free. Fast passes are free and equal for everyone apart from on site/off site and the pilot club level program, transport is free, photopass photographers will take your photo with your camera if you don't want to pay for that and no on will stop you trying to snap a picture of your on ride photo.

I would say 99% of the people I've heard complaining about Disney are because they didn't plan at all. I've heard so many people say "I hated waiting in line all day and didn't want to pay for that fast pass thing".
I'm the 1% haha

I've done tons of planning and research for our upcoming trip. All of this planning has totally turned me off from wanting to do it again. It's just too much. And I got everything I wanted, so it has nothing to do with not getting my top choices.

I'm the 1% haha

I've done tons of planning and research for our upcoming trip. All of this planning has totally turned me off from wanting to do it again. It's just too much. And I got everything I wanted, so it has nothing to do with not getting my top choices.
And that's okay because you took the time to do the planning. It's the people that do no planning whatsoever and just show up. Even if I'm going somewhere like Six Flags I have some kind of plan for rides.

My wife is a very serious planner. She enjoys most of it. Sometimes I think she thrives on it!! But she always says all the headaches are out of the way months in advance - and that makes the vacation itself much calmer and much less stressful. And we'll certainly have un-planned days, or will change plans on the fly - but once the basic plans are in place, it works well for us. For those who don't enjoy that, I can see why they shy away from (or complain about) Disney vacations.

People complain about disney nickel and diming everyone, but I think as far as parks go they're pretty reasonable. You pay a lot to get in but it's fairly inclusive from there. You can ask for water at any quick service for free. Fast passes are free and equal for everyone apart from on site/off site and the pilot club level program, transport is free, photopass photographers will take your photo with your camera if you don't want to pay for that and no on will stop you trying to snap a picture of your on ride photo.

Yep. And you can even eat QS kids meals for basically what you pay for at McDonalds or other fast food places. Sure it’s less selection, and probably not “right” for an adult to eat kids meals but we do it all the time and get full on it. Our saying is everyone is a kid at Disney.

And that's okay because you took the time to do the planning. It's the people that do no planning whatsoever and just show up. Even if I'm going somewhere like Six Flags I have some kind of plan for rides.
No arguments from me on that. You should absolutely do at least a bare minimum of research if you're going anywhere that costs money.

Last edited:
I'm the 1% haha

We're on our 3rd trip later this year. For our first trip back in 2013 I planned like crazy, had spreadsheets, daily itineraries, lists of the best snacks and where to find them and which were DDP eligible, everything. For our second trip in 2017 I simply used all of my work from 2013, tweaked some stuff, loosened up a bit, so I didn't have to do as much planning, but it was still fun to read up and be ready for stuff that was new. For this year's trip a lot has changed since 2017 AND we are going with our friends and their 3 girls so I want to make sure they are able to do all that they want, but without approaching it too commando style. But all of the prior trips and experiences helps to smooth a lot of things out and I know what is truly things to be on top of and what things can more easily be winged. It will be easier the next time, trust me. It's like having kids, by the time you have your 3rd or 4th you don't even sweat it anymore, they'll be just fine. LOL!!

My wife is a very serious planner. She enjoys most of it. Sometimes I think she thrives on it!! But she always says all the headaches are out of the way months in advance - and that makes the vacation itself much calmer and much less stressful. And we'll certainly have un-planned days, or will change plans on the fly - but once the basic plans are in place, it works well for us. For those who don't enjoy that, I can see why they shy away from (or complain about) Disney vacations.

We are the same way. I’m the planner for our family and it’s like a game to me. We took my mom for her first time in 25 years in February. Her comment was “I’m not coming back unless it is with you. All I have to do is follow you around and not worry about a thing” She also understands the work we put into it months before and doesn’t want to do that herself. But once the hard work is doing you get to reap the rewards of it by having a great time.

We're on our 3rd trip later this year. For our first trip back in 2013 I planned like crazy, had spreadsheets, daily itineraries, lists of the best snacks and where to find them and which were DDP eligible, everything. For our second trip in 2017 I simply used all of my work from 2013, tweaked some stuff, loosened up a bit, so I didn't have to do as much planning, but it was still fun to read up and be ready for stuff that was new. For this year's trip a lot has changed since 2017 AND we are going with our friends and their 3 girls so I want to make sure they are able to do all that they want, but without approaching it too commando style. But all of the prior trips and experiences helps to smooth a lot of things out and I know what is truly things to be on top of and what things can more easily be winged. It will be easier the next time, trust me. It's like having kids, by the time you have your 3rd or 4th you don't even sweat it anymore, they'll be just fine. LOL!!
You're probably right about it being easier the next time, but I'll give it at least a decade. Also shut your mouth with this talk of 3rd and 4th kids...😂

I understand how frustrating it must be for people who like to be spontaneous but when I’m paying $$$$ for a vacation I do some planning. In 2017 I sat on the plane next to a couple with an adorable little girl in her Minnie t-shirt talking about calling for reservations for Cinderella’s breakfast the next day. The mom saw my magic band and asked me where I got it. She then asked me if I knew where the Frozen ride was. I asked where they were staying and she said “in the magic kingdom”. I told them to have a wonderful time and put my headphones on... I thought I was being punked.

I mean, I know to plan. I know what WDW takes.
But, it's not the norm, even for a theme park. We can rock up to our local theme park (biggest in the country) and ride whatever, and not even think about it in advance.
And, unless you get advice, or find these boards, then how do you know?
WDW is definitely somewhere I love, and I know it is worth the planning, but, that much planning and advance stress is not what I want from every holiday
I have been cross with myself this week. My 60+ is coming up in April, and I am already juggling potential park days, to maximise my chances of getting on the rides I ideally want. But, in the big picture, it doesn't matter. I can get some Fps and I CAN wait standby if I *REALLY* want to ride something I couldn't get an FP for.
It's fine for us, on these boards to KNOW the planning that is needed, but, it is not usual to plan in THIS level of detail for a holiday. And it doesn't make someone stupid if they don't know.

I'm sure 100% of the people on these boards can relate and have their own stories to tell.

I know I feel horrible when there is someone I know going to WDW and doing essentially no planning. In fact a co-worker is there now in that situation.

I heard about her trip probably around November last year and I told her I know a lot about how to plan etc. She hadn't been for many years and I said it's REAL different. I tried to tell her about fast passes etc and she said "my mom is handling everything". They are staying off site btw.

So right after the first of the year I said "you can get your fast passes soon" and again she said her mom was handling everything. I asked if they at least got their tickets because prices usually go up in Feb. She wasn't sure.

So last week I asked her again and she said was in a panic. Her Mom had done nothing and sent her a book (not sure of it was the official or unofficial guide. But she said it was HUGE.)

At this point there wasn't anything I could do. I asked one last time if they have their park tickets and she said they weren't sure how many days they were going. I sent her a screen shot of the crowd projections from Touring plans, explained they have algorithms for determining wait times and sequence of rides etc (we're in an analytics group so she related to that) and by that time she knew they weren't going to get much done (two little kids with them).

I said you'll have a great time just being there. But I think I was lying somewhat - I suspect they will drive up mid morning - buy their tickets there - walk into MK and look at the map and say "OK, what do you want to do?" and find there is at least a half hour wait for anything (if they are lucky). They will leave disappointed at best - frustrated and angry at worst .

I tried to warn her - and she'll come back and say "well, you tried to warn me!"

I can't help but feel bad though because it's avoidable if only you believe the people telling you how it is.

I think some of it for the newbie planner is that when they went as kids, their parents didn't have to do all the stuff that is needed now. So when they talked to mom and dad about how they did it, they are given 20 year old information that is totally irrelevant. However, I can't imagine shelling out this expensive of a vacation and not taking 15 minutes to google and realize it is a new world, one in which you have to plan. But then again, I am textbook Type A so my thought process is detailed and methodical.

Another factor could be the Disneyland difference. You don't have to plan as far out for DLR as you do WDW. I think if you are someone who went to DLR first thinking WDW will be about the same, you are in for a rude awakening. Again . . . take that 15 minute google search to see it is vastly different.

Finally, WDW gets lumped in with going to Cedar Point, Bush Gardens, etc. People think it is an amusement park, how different can it be? Answer, A LOT! But people go in blind thinking it will be the same. I think that is the biggest part of the complaints you hear when you listen to people at WDW griping about wait times and not getting into a sit down restaurant. They didn't take the time to look and see the difference in FP+ vs. Fast Lane, and needing ADR's. One google search can be your best friend in learning you need to plan.

I still give advice and help friends who truly want to listen. But if you are tuning me out when I am telling you to plan in advance what FP+ rides you want and not to pick FOP for Day 1 at 60 days out because it won't be there, then I quit. Help me, help you by heeding my advice. Don't waste my time.

Well, hey, they did get one fast pass that they wanted AND they got into the restaurant they wanted, and a lot of people would tell you that either of those things would be nearly impossible. So they are at least starting off knowing they have a few things they want taken care of. :) Hopefully their day will continue to be so lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter