Popular Disney foods and restaurants you don't care for?

Our meal at Chefs De France was pretty disappointing, I think most of the counter service food I had was WAY better. And I agree with most when it comes to the Dole Whip. I like Dole Whips and they're great when it's hot in the summer but they're nothing amazing,hehe

Many of the items listed I've never tried, mainly because I assume I won't like them or don't see the point of ge (turkey legs, popcorn, Dole Whips, etc.). I also don't like many of the restaurants that get a lot of hype on here, although I understand why they are popular with many people and am happy that people enjoy them ('Ohana, Boma, Le Cellier, Via Napoli, Chef Mickey's, bluezoo, every single buffet on property). Don't get me wrong, we'll eat at them because we need to eat, but I just don't get the passion that many people feel for them so we just go wherever has openings and have always found a place.

The one thing I tried, for which I had high hopes and was cruelly disappointed, was the School Bread. The poster who called it stale bread with pudding was giving it too much credit, in my book. I was so sure that I just got a bad piece, I got it a second time and it was just as bad. Blech!

I have never eaten at any of the following places, and will never eat there, seems totally unappetizing to me. I am not a picky eater.

Yak and Yeti-I don't like Chinese food, I'll eat it if everyone is getting it, but it's never my choice. And Yak and Yeti reminds me of any Chinese food I can get in the 10 Chinese food places I have within a few miles of my house.
Boma, Jiko, Sanaa. I have never read a restaurant review of any of these places that made me want to go there. No, thank you.

Turkey legs. No.

I agree with this statement only when it applies to WDW. WDW's churros are not the same as Disneyland's. Love me a good churro walking around at DL! ;)
I've never had them at DL. Interesting. I had my first churros direct from the cart deeep frying them at the market on my way to school in Spain. So when i heard so many great things about them and bought the WDW version I was sorely dissapointed.
I love churros. Just not WDW churros. I guess I'lll give DL's a try if I ever make it back there

I've never had them at DL. Interesting. I had my first churros direct from the cart deeep frying them at the market on my way to school in Spain. So when i heard so many great things about them and bought the WDW version I was sorely dissapointed.
I love churros. Just not WDW churros. I guess I'lll give DL's a try if I ever make it back there

From what I've heard (can't verify), WDW churros are already heated before they go out on the carts so they're not fresh. DL's are heated fresh on the cart. From my experience, this holds true. WDW's were luke warm and tough, where as DL's were hot and soft.

Although, your childhood experience of getting them straight out of the fryer from the market in Spain will no doubt kick the pants off DL's too. :p

I have never eaten at any of the following places, and will never eat there, seems totally unappetizing to me. I am not a picky eater.

Yak and Yeti-I don't like Chinese food, I'll eat it if everyone is getting it, but it's never my choice. And Yak and Yeti reminds me of any Chinese food I can get in the 10 Chinese food places I have within a few miles of my house.
Boma, Jiko, Sanaa. I have never read a restaurant review of any of these places that made me want to go there. No, thank you.

Turkey legs. No.

At Yak and Yeti, don't order the stereotypical "American Chinese" stuff - go for the sides and unique stuff. We love the fried green beans! We've had the coconut shrimp there too - it was good, not the greatest, but better than some other places I've tried.

I'll probably get flamed for this...but to me it's all "park " food. I don't think I have ever walked out of a restaurant at Disney and thought wow that was an amazing meal. There are a few decent rstaurants in Disney Springs but that is about it to me. I enjoyed Mori Moto but even thought California Grill was just fine.

I'll probably get flamed for this...but to me it's all "park " food. I don't think I have ever walked out of a restaurant at Disney and thought wow that was an amazing meal. There are a few decent rstaurants in Disney Springs but that is about it to me. I enjoyed Mori Moto but even thought California Grill was just fine.

Out of curiosity, have you tried Tiffins?

I think pretty much everything food wise at WDW is over rated. Don't get me wrong there are alot of good things to eat, and restaurants that have decent food, but on the whole, WDW food isn't any better than regular chain restaurants IMO (there are a few exceptions, but even those aren't any better than some great local places across the US).
Having said that, I do enjoy the Dole Whip

BOG
Turkey Legs
Anything with Frosting

Reading through the list, I have to agree with most and thinking of all the places we have eaten in DW, the only meal we love over and over again is Teppan Edo. Like PP have said, everything else is overrated for sure. It's not that even the food is amazing, we just like the predictable experience there.

For me, literally ALL the buffet character meals.

And everything at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I don't like cinnamon in savory dishes, and have a serious aversion to many spices in Indian and African cuisine (such as curry). I won't even stay at the hotel. The smell from Boma makes my stomach turn.

That is interesting. I have a friend with a serious aversion to Indian food. It is my favorite kind of food, so I love going to AKL and AK and just hanging out in the African area.

But I agree with you about the character meals......WAY overpriced and the food is sub-par. When the kids were little and the prices weren't so crazy, we would do it some. But now that we have 5 adults......no way!

I used to love the grapefruit cake from The Brown Derby. It was fresh. Now they ship it in frozen. I spent $9 for a slice of cake that was dried out and gross.

Our meal at Chefs De France was pretty disappointing, I think most of the counter service food I had was WAY better. And I agree with most when it comes to the Dole Whip. I like Dole Whips and they're great when it's hot in the summer but they're nothing amazing,hehe

That place is so frustrating. It's as up and down as it gets.

1. Butterfinger Cupcake - I was so excited to try it and thought the huge mound of white icing hidden under the chocolate icing was so gross.
2. Tonga Toast - I did have the Captain Cooks version, not the Kona, but it was so dry I could barely choke it down even after dousing it in syrup.

I'm with you on both of these. When I found out the Butterfinger Cupcake had vanilla frosting underneath the chocolate I was all over it. But it was not a pleasant tasting frosting at all. And the cupcake filling was way to much for the little amount of actual cake. So disappointing.

I had the Kona version of the Tonga Toast and thought it was just okay flavor wise. And with the strawberry compote and the juice on the side I was sick to my stomach from the sweetness only halfway through. And I'm a person who can eat cake for breakfast, lol.

Askerhus Restaurant!! I forgot this in my earlier response.

The only reason we did this was because we were on the dining plan and this is a character meal that only takes one credit, so I figured it was a good opportunity. My husband is by no means adventurous when it comes to food, so he ordered "regular" food while I tried a Norwegian dish and we both walked out feeling unsatisfied with the meal. It just wasn't good at all and when we realized how much it was had we not been on the dining plan (we only had two alcoholic drinks between the both of us that we paid out of pocket), we both swore that the only way we will set foot in that restaurant again will be when we have a little a girl and take her there for the experience of seeing the Princesses. I was not at all impressed with the restaurant at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter