Riviera murphy bed fell off of the wall

Appreciate everyone’s comments. We’re having a great time as a family regardless despite it. And I wish this was only $300 per night vs more than 2X that amount....

the trundle works fine and they haven’t asked us to avoid using it. We could’ve stayed nearly anywhere else on property for less money if we were just gonna use an air mattress. That’s the rub.

Wait wait...are they also telling everyone to not use the pull down big Murphy bed as well as the smaller pull down bed under the tv?

Sorry but that is an excuse. We are not saying it fell apart. We are saying it fell off the wall. You don't do the standard installation for a Disney hotel and you don't buy something off the shelf either if you are Disney. You get something specifically built for your resort.

They are making way to much money to not get custom furniture.

Business degree?

Wait wait...are they also telling everyone to not use the pull down big Murphy bed as well as the smaller pull down bed under the tv?
I believe the small ones are now able to be used but yes, the large ones are out of order.

Oh heccccccccckkkkkkkk no.

And I guess I was right when I said that everything the builder installed would need to be called into question.
Someone reported that the larger wall bed (whatever it's called) fell down on them while they were sitting on the couch.

Someone reported that the larger wall bed (whatever it's called) fell down on them while they were sitting on the couch.
So.... sounds like no sitting on the couch because the pull down Murphy bed could fall on you, and no sleeping on that same Pull down Murphy bed either. And the trundle bed that fell off the wall on top of a person is now deemed safe. ( But how could you sleep wondering if Disney really got it fixed right. ) OMG What a mess.

So.... sounds like no sitting on the couch because the pull down Murphy bed could fall on you, and no sleeping on that same Pull down Murphy bed either. And the trundle bed that fell off the wall on top of a person is now deemed safe. ( But how could you sleep wondering if Disney really got it fixed right. ) OMG What a mess.

The lawsuit money will put you to sleep easily.

If this was a Hilton Garden Inn charging $149 a night and you were told not to use the bed frames and take away all open floor space by putting the mattress on the ground, would people really be so forgiving?

But that's not what happened. They offered to move you to another deluxe resort, but you declined and said you'd rather sleep on the mattress on the floor.

I think were discussing two different issues though.

1) Disney Corporation possibly rushing the construction of the resort and taking shortcuts in their safety inspections.

2) Customer service in the dealing with the situation that it now presented.

I agree with you. If any sort of negligence is proven in their construction process, Disney deserves all of the blame.

However, the customer service reps dealing with the aftermath seemed to have been perfectly fair. I'd probably ask for some additional compensation for all of the hassle, but really what else can you ask for. They can't fix the bed overnight, so they offered to put you in an equivalent room, but you declined. It's not the front desk people, or even the resort managers fault that their may have been shady construction practices. They can only deal with the situation in front of them.

But that's not what happened. They offered to move you to another deluxe resort, but you declined and said you'd rather sleep on the mattress on the floor.

1) Disney Corporation possibly rushing the construction of the resort and taking shortcuts in their safety inspections.

I agree with you. If any sort of negligence is proven in their construction process, Disney deserves all of the blame.

However, the customer service reps dealing with the aftermath seemed to have been perfectly fair. I'd probably ask for some additional compensation for all of the hassle, but really what else can you ask for. They can't fix the bed overnight, so they offered to put you in an equivalent room, but you declined. It's not the front desk people, or even the resort managers fault that their may have been shady construction practices. They can only deal with the situation in front of them.

Disney has plenty of contact information to reach out and contact guests concerning potential issues PRIOR to a late arrival. In this case, waiting until they are at the resort really is a fail IMO.

Not being able to use the bed(s) in a room is a massive screw up. I've been following along this thread since the beginning, I am not DVC so I don't know how complicated this gets, but I think it would warrant a refund of points/cash if you cannot use the beds in a room and moving rooms is not a helpful solution for an individual family. I would imagine for most it's enough, especially if it's an upgrade to a bigger unit.

Disney should be doing all they can to make people who are inconvenienced happy (and quiet). I feel second hand embarrassment for Disney every time I read about the air mattress situation or a family being told they can't use a bed in the room of a brand new very expensive resort.

Appreciate everyone’s comments. We’re having a great time as a family regardless despite it. And I wish this was only $300 per night vs more than 2X that amount....
I was too lazy to look up the rates so I aimed low! Glad you guys are still having a great trip!

I think it is fair to say that we all have high expectations of Disney. When they don’t meet them or even come close (like not having actual working beds for the stated occupancy), customers shouldn’t have to demand anything. They are in the hospitality business and quite proudly proclaim themselves as the happiest place on earth. This isn’t about the individual customer representatives or front desk, but about how a corporation decides to manage its own mistakes. And I can’t believe people can shift blame entirely to a construction contractor with no responsibility for the owner. Good luck with that if you have work done at your place and a guest is harmed. Both parties are at risk, as it should be. We love Disney. Not sure why it isn’t fair to criticize them when they fail at a basic task for a hotel. No beds for sold occupancy? Is it really a working hotel? How can they charge full price? Cmon...

@Stateman, where did they offer to move you? We check in on Saturday into a 1br and we have 2 young kids, so we were absolutely planning on using the larger Murphy. And, I’m sorry this happened on such short notice. Sounds like you’re making the best of it.

Aside - as a previous poster had mentioned, if the original incident was from sitting on the couch, you’d think leaving the bed down would be an adequate fix (we’re at VGF now and the sofa bed has been out since we checked in). And putting the mattress on the floor in front of the unit doesn’t sound safe at all unless they found some other way to secure the units.

@Stateman, where did they offer to move you? We check in on Saturday into a 1br and we have 2 young kids, so we were absolutely planning on using the larger Murphy. And, I’m sorry this happened on such short notice. Sounds like you’re making the best of it.

Aside - as a previous poster had mentioned, if the original incident was from sitting on the couch, you’d think leaving the bed down would be an adequate fix (we’re at VGF now and the sofa bed has been out since we checked in). And putting the mattress on the floor in front of the unit doesn’t sound safe at all unless they found some other way to secure the units.
My information that it was form someone sitting on the couch was from another thread which itself was third or fourth hand information, so who knows what really happenned.

we never found out which other resort was an option. I know some others seem to think that should have ended the discussion but for our circumstances it was 10 pm on Christmas Eve when they knocked on our door and told us. maybe others would have happily taken that offer and resolved this but in our situation we simply didn’t feel like packing up at that time and on that day. Our plan was to have a relaxing Christmas (and we have) which would’ve been clearly impacted by that move.

we never found out which other resort was an option. I know some others seem to think that should have ended the discussion but for our circumstances it was 10 pm on Christmas Eve when they knocked on our door and told us. maybe others would have happily taken that offer and resolved this but in our situation we simply didn’t feel like packing up at that time and on that day. Our plan was to have a relaxing Christmas (and we have) which would’ve been clearly impacted by that move.
For what it’s worth, I probably wouldn’t have moved either.

I can't believe people are defending Disney's handing of RR. Of course they should offer to move people to rooms with enough beds -- that's the minimum Disney should do. That offer doesn't deserve praise or excuse all of the missteps wrt RR. Disney is charging premium prices and should be held to the same standards as any other hotel charging that much. We aren't talking about the refrigerators not working ... the beds aren't safe (beds they preened about in their promotion of RR). This is a pretty big screw up and as long as people are willing to give Disney slack, Disney is going to take it and standards will continue to decline.

This is a big deal especially in a room that costs more than $300 a night! For such an expensive hotel I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be frustrated and expect a partial refund. What they are providing is not $300 a night quality.

Where did you see these rooms for $300 a night? Was there a blowout sale? :lol: It's insane what Disney is charging for these rooms, especially over Christmas. Even with DVC points, it's expensive. I'm booked in a 1-BR for February and they're charging over $1k a night for the same room in cash and I think that's with a FL Res/AP discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter