Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t pretend to know what it’s like to be in your shoes as a parent... but this isn’t just any normal day, we are the most crazy of timelines where there’s a global pandemic going on in which a virus with no cure is everywhere. And Disney has made it clear they are putting safety first. We either stay home forever (not sustainable) or reopen with modifications to keep people protected. But in order to do that, we all must play along and do things like wear masks if that’s what wdw deems necessary. It’s not about attacking those who cannot wear a mask, it’s trying to be realistic, in this specific moment in time, and discussing what to do about those who can’t wear one. Sadly, if Disney starts making concessions people will take advantage and then the system to keep people safe no longer works. But knowing them they are a few steps ahead of this so hopefully we’ll see some creative problem solving to a once in a lifetime situation.

And the reminder that this will not last forever. And if any of the modifications don’t make sense for your family or my family, we can wait it out and go when it’s normal again. It’s not about being not welcome, just realistic.
There seems to be enough ppl who want to wear them & think they should as their duty to humanity. And I doubt Disney wants to open themselves up to potential Ada violations. So I am sure there will be concessions & ppl probably will take advantage of that. But that’s always the case. So we don’t punish the ppl with disabilities b/c other ppl may take advantage of rules meant to make sure they have equal access.

I dont see anything wrong with Disney attempting to curb the spread. It is amazing to me how little Americans can handle being inconvenienced for a short period of time.......sad really.......

PLEASE no flames, but we live in NYC, and masks are mandatory basically everywhere right now

I consider wearing a mask while driving an inconvenience - wearing one to the pharmacy or supermarket an inconvenience -

But honestly - I don't look at wearing a mask in Florida, for basically the entire day, in the heat, more than an inconvenience - I think there could be major health ramifications - I fear that people will be passing out left and right - and not trying to be melodramatic -

Plus, you have the issue which would affect so many (myself included)

My son is on the autism spectrum and I was told by his doctor that the mask is making him feel claustrophobic ( he has sensory issues)

So let's say, hypothetically, that you can get a "health/special exception waiver) and certain ppl would not need to wear a mask - how is an "outsider looking in" supposed to know that ? And then, for sake of argument, the person without the mask coughs or sneezes - ( many get seasonal allergies)

Unfortunately, I can see a ton of dirty looks and/or fights in the parks each and every day -

Hope I'm wrong !

If social distancing works in China, it will work anywhere. There's no such thing as a line in China, it's a mass or people and they have zero qualms about putting hands on you to gain position. It was the biggest culture shock for me. Having 70 year old grandma's slip a leg over me and push ahead. If they can do it in Shanghai, it can happen anywhere.

Not sure if I can share YT links, but watch the Beijing subway. Even people getting off have to push their way out. It's like nothing I've ever experienced.
100%. I got shoved off a jam packed bus by a little grandma in Beijing and barely shoved my way back on before doors closed. That’s what it took for me to learn you shove anyone and everyone, grandma included. Touching strangers is just life there so Disney definitely had their own set of unique China-specific cultural circumstances like that to work through.

I think Americans won’t all comply with masks within an hour or two after entering the park and imho that will lead to problems between guests if “required”- but I think we will decently comply with social distancing of 6 feet better. Those who have been abroad know that in general Americans like a much bigger bubble of space than other cultures. Finally that’s a good thing!!

100%. I got shoved off a jam packed bus by a little grandma in Beijing and barely shoved my way back on before doors closed. That’s what it took for me to learn you shove anyone and everyone, grandma included. Touching strangers is just life there so Disney definitely had their own set of unique China-specific cultural circumstances like that to work through.

I think Americans won’t all comply with masks within an hour or two after entering the park and imho that will lead to problems between guests if “required”- but I think we will decently comply with social distancing of 6 feet better. Those who have been abroad know that in general Americans like a much bigger bubble of space than other cultures. Finally that’s a good thing!!

I will social distance 15 feet if I don't have to wear a mask ! 😁

I really REALLY don't want to enter the great mask debate but I have a serious question. Assuming masks are a requirement... What about thrill rides??? I'm not sure a mask will stay on during Big Thunder or Space Mountain. I wouldn't want to receive a used mask across the face.
I’m just imagining all the people who will stuff their mask in the ride pocket...

And if they don’t require them, perhaps the mask warriors can take their self-righteousness to another site. But I agree. I’m ready for an official policy one way or another.
Likewise, if WDW does require masks, perhaps the anti-mask brigade can take their self-righteousness to another site. It goes both ways.

I’m ready for an official policy too but much much more ready for the name calling and shaming to stop.

Edited to add: as the mom of a child with tactile issues, I’m not talking about kids or adults with medical issues that prevent them from wearing a mask. But let’s not pretend that the anti-mask posts are only about people with medical issues.

Likewise, if WDW does require masks, perhaps the anti-mask brigade can take their self-righteousness to another site. It goes both ways.

I’m ready for an official policy too but much much more ready for the name calling and shaming to stop.
The poster I first quoted already basically said that was why he/she was hoping an official policy would come out so it could no longer be discussed.

I'll wear a mask if that's the policy. I won't like it, but I'd be completely compliant with it as best as humanly possible. However, I'm totally appalled by the self righteous snowflakes here who continue to act like rentacops. Leave people alone and be kind, let cast members deal with issues as they arise. The person next to you in line has an extremely high probability of NOT having Covid. Have some faith in your extended Disney families at the parks.

Is calling people self righteous snowflakes and likening them to rentacops considered being kind? Perhaps you should take your own advice.

This is a confusing time and everyone is coming from a different place for different reasons. Name calling doesn’t help anyone get their point across.

I don't think requiring masks for everyone is a violation of the ADA. If you have a service dog, but the dog begins barking, lunging, or defecating in public, a business has the right to refuse service until that dog is removed. Accommodations for access end at the point when they become a risk to the health and safety of everyone else.

We are in such a situation right now. If the mask was only effecting the person wearing it, accommodations are possible. But masks in crowded, unnecessary places like theme parks are necessary for the health and safety of everyone, including the employees.

I am actually in Florida and I wore a mask to go to a park the other day. They recently opened and you are required to have a mask on your person at all times, and to wear a mask when you are within 6 feet of another person. I chose to wear the mask the whole time because I felt it was risky to take it on and off repeatedly, and also because on trails people were biking or running close to me, I had to cross a bridge with people fishing, etc. I was fine, this was an 88-90 degree afternoon in full sun, no AC breaks. I walked the dog for about an hour and a half, lived to tell the tale. It was great to get outside for awhile, all of our natural areas have been closed since March.

. BUT, imagine those people working in hospitals 60 hours a week, not only having to wear masks nonstop but also gloves, hats, gowns...all those many thousands of healthcare workers do it...with glasses, with other conditions that make it more uncomfortable. They do it. It's not impossible, but Americans are stubborn and everything is seen as an invasion of privacy and rights.

As one of those hospital workers you mentioned, i can tell you that even in an air conditioned hospital it’s still hot and hard to breathe. I’m booked for early September. We are debating whether to go if masks are required. I know fabric masks would be WAY more comfortable than the n95 i wear all day, but that humidity scares me. My kid is 17. He will wear a mask. My husband will, too. I’m just don’t want to be uncomfortable for a week while spending that much money.
I have been considering a thin, moisture wicking fabric? Does anyone know if that is a possibility? Does anyone have experience with that type of material as a mask?

Is calling people self righteous snowflakes and likening them to rentacops considered being kind? Perhaps you should take your own advice.

This is a confusing time and everyone is coming from a different place for different reasons. Name calling doesn’t help anyone get their point across.

I know how people are. They won't leave it up to Disney to enforce it. People will take it upon themselves to enforce it.

Just like how countless fights have started in parking lots because someone decides to judge the person who's parked in a handicapped spot. If they think that person doesn't look disabled enough, they think it's their duty to humanity to confront that person. People have actually had to go jail because of starting fights over that.

Same thing will happen with this mandatory mask nonsense.

I don't think requiring masks for everyone is a violation of the ADA. If you have a service dog, but the dog begins barking, lunging, or defecating in public, a business has the right to refuse service until that dog is removed. Accommodations for access end at the point when they become a risk to the health and safety of everyone else.

We are in such a situation right now. If the mask was only effecting the person wearing it, accommodations are possible. But masks in crowded, unnecessary places like theme parks are necessary for the health and safety of everyone, including the employees.

I am actually in Florida and I wore a mask to go to a park the other day. They recently opened and you are required to have a mask on your person at all times, and to wear a mask when you are within 6 feet of another person. I chose to wear the mask the whole time because I felt it was risky to take it on and off repeatedly, and also because on trails people were biking or running close to me, I had to cross a bridge with people fishing, etc. I was fine, this was an 88-90 degree afternoon in full sun, no AC breaks. I walked the dog for about an hour and a half, lived to tell the tale. It was great to get outside for awhile, all of our natural areas have been closed since March.
I don’t think the precedent has been set yet as far as if it violates ada or not & that won’t keep ppl from suing. They might not win, but Disney doesn’t want that kind of trouble right now on top of everything. There is no way Disney will not allow concessions for those with disabilities. Being an active threat like the dog example & more of a passive POTENTIAL threat like Covid are 2 different things. Your example is more like saying service dogs shouldn’t be allowed in the parks b/c they MIGHT do those things you said. But we all know that’s not how ada works. And, you can stay from the person not wearing a mask. So just do that & let ppl have equal access.

These are not medical masks and they aren't intended to be. Guests can touch their own non-medical mask. (The difference between a surgical/cloth mask and a medical N95 mask is really important so people understand the rationale behind Disney's decision) These masks are to help prevent respiratory droplets from traveling far from the user's mouth, through the air, and into another guest. Touching the mask is no different from touching your own mouth - you still have to wash your hands frequently. That's why it is ok for Disney to say "hey, you can take off the mask to eat in the restaurant" and people can shove it in their pockets or whatever. It's not putting you at higher risk.

Well yeah, but I think his point is cross contamination with the masks..... my kid has a mask on that she hates, and it doesn’t fit properly, because I haven’t been able to find one that does, she’s hot and miserable because, Orlando, and she’s constantly touching and adjusting her mask because I can’t sanitize her hands every 30 seconds, and then she touches other things that other people touch, who then touch their masks because they’re hot and uncomfortable etc. etc. etc. I don’t have a dog in this fight because we won’t go with a mask requirement and I’m ok with that.

We all understand the point of the non medical masks is to prevent droplets from traveling as far as they would otherwise.

I know how people are. They won't leave it up to Disney to enforce it. People will take it upon themselves to enforce it.

Just like how countless fights have started in parking lots because someone decides to judge the person who's parked in a handicapped spot. If they think that person doesn't look disabled enough, they think it's their duty to humanity to confront that person. People have actually had to go jail because of starting fights over that.

Guest vs. guest and guest vs. CM confrontations will occur ... because they already occur all the time. Many guests become over defensive over simple CM requests or corrections. Many guests confront other guests over very small things. Ask any front line CM. This is an everyday reality at WDW.

When I did my college program, I witnessed (and experienced) my fair share of guest vs. guest and guest vs. CM confrontation.

I am pro-mask, but understand that if they are required and recommended, there likely will be some drama due to how divisive the issue is. These situations happen at WDW daily. There surely will be some mask-related drama.

So all the guests who are willing to follow Disney's rules should be denied the opportunity to go, because the people who don't/ are not willing to follow them think it should stay closed.

The purpose of the masks was for them to be used to places like grocery stores, close indoor work environments, healthcare settings, etc because they are essential businesses that need to operate and the risk of viral exposure is significant enough to warrant the use of PPE.

If you are saying masks are necessary for theme parks, then you admit it's not safe and the risk of exposure is high. The parks shouldnt be open in that case.

The purpose of the masks was for them to be used to places like grocery stores, close indoor work environments, healthcare settings, etc because they are essential businesses that need to operate and the risk of viral exposure is significant enough to warrant the use of PPE.

If you are saying masks are necessary for theme parks, then you admit it's not safe and the risk of exposure is high. The parks shouldnt be open in that case.
Where did I say it's necessary, it's what rules Disney makes that are important, not what you or I think is right

Same thing will happen with this mandatory mask nonsense.

If adults fight over masks then they don't belong in Disney, or a civilized society period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter