Saving space i nline

Please read my first post about 1 person running for a fast pass the key thing is the family waits at the start of the line for the person to return that way DD doesn't get tired and it is fair to all.

I agree with most of the posters. It is rude and you are teaching your kids rules are not for them. Unless someone has to use the restroom don't do it. You would not like it if I did it to you so don't do it to me. The next time a big group jumps in front of me I am going to go talk to the group in front of them and go ahead. If everyone bans together we can stop line jumping. I dont mind it when a mom or dad and a child get back into line but do not hold a spot for teens and other adults. Otherwise, everyone have a great magical time. :thumbsup2

Agree, unless it is a young child potty emergency or an elderly or disabled individual.....then everyone needs to stay together in line. :grouphug:
It can be nice family time - use of the old art of conversation.

Once at BB we had a terrible experience with a line cutter....the lines there are not traditional que lines but winding paths through rock and steps. We were in line for the family raft ride and this woman & her brood began pushing past people. When she got to our group, we didn't move for her. She told us to move, she needed to catch up with relatives. She was in herself (and her kids) an entire raft, so there was no need. I told her she needed to wait in line just like all the other families, or her relatives should have waited back for her. Well, with two hands she shoved me into the rock wall nearly sending me flying down hill. She then continued to body slam all in her way (and she had the body to do harm) until she disappeared around the curve. We told the CMs at the top of the line, but by that point she would have been down the ride. There simply is no manpower to handle line cuts, but this really was assault. Had I seen that woman any time the rest of the day, I would have gotten a CM/Security and had her thrown out and maybe have them take her personal information for potential assault charges, or better yet a ban from WDW ! Unfortunately for all, her actions are teaching her children their future behavior.

Holy Moly! I hope you were okay!

The only thing that I have got to say is that God has "blessed" me with a VERY small bladder (I've been tested), so when I gotta go, I really gotta go. So, I hope that noone is offended in December when we're there if I have to sprint for the nearest bathroom :) I do, however, try to plan for this kind of thing and go to the bathroom between rides, knowing there will be lines. I am a big girl and have learned that if you have a wait ahead of you (long drives etc) that you should take care of this stuff beforehand. ;)

So I kind of have to agree with both sides; though if someone just suddenly appears and tries to push ahead of me "to be with relatives" there will be a wall made of my husband and I that will take more than mere rudeness to move ;) Just like some people teach their kids that rules are for OTHER people, I am teaching my little girl that the rules apply to everyone. For some reason she still doesn't believe me that there's a rule about brushing out your hair every morning... :rolleyes1

When we were in WDW a few years ago we were in line for Playhouse Disney at MGM. My then 4 year old had to go to the bathroom and we had a good 20 more minutes to wait before they were even opening the doors. My parents always taught us not to cut in line, but she really had to go. I politely made my way out of line (saying "excuse me, sorry" the entire way, made it to the bathroom, and politely made my way back (again, "excuse me", "sorry", "bathroom break") to the place where we had been in line. I must have had some very understanding people in that line because nobody said anything to me, and I had a couple of people tell me they've been in the same situation and completely understand. I thankfully have not had to do it since and still feel guilty about it! I think if you have a small child, older person with you it's fine - otherwise wait in line like the rest of us! :thumbsup2

torinsmom said:
So, if there are 4 members of your party and three are in line while one runs to get fastpasses for another ride, is that a big deal?
Yes, better for them sit somewhere while you run for your FP and then all of you can get in line together.

If we all held places in line so a family member could get fast passes, we'd all have later fast passes and still only go on the same number of rides. Sometimes I send DH to get a fastpass, but I wait and watch whats going on or go get us a treat, I don't get in a line and expect him to be able to join me.

torinsmom said:
So, if there are 4 members of your party and three are in line while one runs to get fastpasses for another ride, is that a big deal? I was thinking of doing this at Epcot when we go. I thought I'd get us fast passes for Soarin, while the others got in line for Turtle Talk. Last time, we rode Soarin and by the time we got out, the Turtle Talk line was never ending.

Marsha

I have no problem if this happens if:
all 4 of you are in line, then one of you announces they choose to dash over to Turtle Talk to get FP.
We rather expect it to be the norm~
You can turn around & ask us if we mind, that would be another nice touch-- :goodvibes

As for me, often I will have to use the restroom on very short notice :teeth:
& have to leave the line immediately.
I will say to folks directly in back (I mean this is not a park announcement! :blush: ) that I am indisposed & would they mind if DH saved my place in line. If they do mind--that's never happened--I plan to forfeit my spot

Jean

Well, it may not be a problem. I will just run ahead of my mom and son and get the Soarin FP's, so hopefully, we can still get in line for Turtle Talk pretty early on. And we are going in September, not the busiest time of year, vs. Spring Break last time.

As for me, if a family holds a place for one of their party for a few minutes, it doesn't bother me. Now, if ONE person holds a place for the whole family, that is a whole different matter.

Marsha

quote:**To me it just means that we might be able to experience everything that we want to before our DD completely wears out for the day.**

So you are just saving that few extra seconds to prevent YOUR DD from pooping out for the day, but what if those few extra seconds that you save by letting your DH jump in with you (instead of just waiting for him to arrive and all getting in line together) causes the DD or DS of another family BEHIND YOU to poop out for the day?

Don't mean to be snarky, but is it only about what you want and not what is fair?!

I don't really have a problem with families having a line waiter if they have small children. It is hard for those little ones to wait. If it makes it easier on the family and more enjoyable for their vacation to take a toddler out of line for a spell for some different activity during the wait time I'm totally ok with it. I think it just makes for more smiles for the little one and the line is probably going to be more enjoyable for the rest in line if an unruly child is not there. Just my thoughts we did that on occassion with our 3 y/o in disneyland. Nobody ever had a problem with it. Lines weren't too bad when we went so we mostly all made it through.

In most parks "line cutting" can get you unceremoniously tossed out.

WDW is a kindler/gentler place.
sunny.gif
Think people make allowances for elderly & those w/small children & the person on FastPass duty.

Worst infraction I've experienced was in line for Jungle Cruise - which always seems to mis-state their standby line wait (whatever is posted - double it!) Loud party in front of us was kvetching over the fact that MK didn't provide the opportunity to drink a cold brew while waiting in line. Once we got to building overhang they stopped dead in their tracks & proceeded to start bellowing for their "jason". Evidently, he was piloting the nearby boats. These oafs proceeded to block anyone from entering the cheque while we ALL waited several min. for their litttle darling who was @ least 15 & his 3 buddies to finish up.

IMO, bad enough they were jumping line but, we all had to stand in the hot sun while jr. sauntered over several minutes later. We then had the privledge of being downwind while the "boys" had a gas battle - that the adults found hysterical.

What is it with adults behaving badly on vacation?

hockeymomoftwo said:
I don't really have a problem with families having a line waiter if they have small children. It is hard for those little ones to wait.

The things is, WDW is filled with "little ones". If everyone had a daddy or mommy that would run ahead and save a space for their "little one that doesn't like to stand/gets cranky in line" people would keep getting pushed back further and further.

I have children. I understand that they like to dawdle and lines might "poop them out". It isn't fair, though, for me to run ahead and save a space for my family. It isn't fair for the families with young children that endured the line, only to get pushed back further and further with every "space saving/my precious child doesn't like lines" offender.

Now, if you are in line and your child must use the bathroom, of course that is a whole other story. Of course people will understand. But if you send someone to run ahead ride after ride after ride to save a space for your family, I think that is rude.

keishashadow said:
We then had the privledge of being downwind while the "boys" had a gas battle - that the adults found hysterical.

What is it with adults behaving badly on vacation?

OMG. That is horrible. What is wrong with people?

Well I have to put my 2 cents worth in. This year I will be taking my MIL with us to Disney. She has MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and virtually no bladder/bowel control. There may be times she has to run from a line to get to a restroom and then return. This has happened to us in other places while waiting in line.

It is truly amazing the remarks that people make to her as she gets back in line. She handles it very graciously, but I do not. I figure if someone is so simple minded and mean spirited to yell at someone without knowing all of the facts they deserve to be embarrased in front of everyone. I usually politely ask them (in front of everyone) if they have heard of Multiple Sclerosis and wonder what they would do if they had no bowel or bladder control? Do they yell at all people with disabilities or just certain ones? Then I inform them that they might wish to apologize to my Mother in Law for their remarks. This usually shuts them right up.

Don't assume that everyone getting in and out of line is just trying to cut in front of you. Instead assume that they have a valid reason or perhaps a medical condition of which you are unaware.

sameyeyam said:
Well I have to put my 2 cents worth in. This year I will be taking my MIL with us to Disney. She has MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and virtually no bladder/bowel control. There may be times she has to run from a line to get to a restroom and then return. This has happened to us in other places while waiting in line.

It is truly amazing the remarks that people make to her as she gets back in line. She handles it very graciously, but I do not. I figure if someone is so simple minded and mean spirited to yell at someone without knowing all of the facts they deserve to be embarrased in front of everyone. I usually politely ask them (in front of everyone) if they have heard of Multiple Sclerosis and wonder what they would do if they had no bowel or bladder control? Do they yell at all people with disabilities or just certain ones? Then I inform them that they might wish to apologize to my Mother in Law for their remarks. This usually shuts them right up.

Don't assume that everyone getting in and out of line is just trying to cut in front of you. Instead assume that they have a valid reason or perhaps a medical condition of which you are unaware.
There are always exceptions to the situation...your MIL fits that definition. It's sad that folks are so fed up by those who abuse the good nature of others will start snapping at anyone who "appears" to be taking advantage. But this doesn't excuse those who have no real reason for holding places in line, except for their selfish convenience.

So...if someone is already in line in front of you, and sometime during the long wait, for whatever reason, they have to leave the line for a few minutes and return, how is that making the line longer? They are already in front of you to begin with.

I agree that holding a spot for an entire group is not fair, but if someone is already in front of you, it doesn't make a difference if they leave and come back to the same spot in front of you, does it?

Kanikaze I can't agree with you more. I agree that teen agers and older kids should wait there turn in line. If the family is there before you they are still there before you whether they waited in the line or went and got a snack or went to the bathroom.

I subscribed to touringplans.com this year. One of their recommendations is for 1 person to run and get a fast pass for Test Track,while the rest of the party waits in line for Soarin. They recommend this on several of the more popular attractions.

They don't come right out and say it, but read between the lines. The person that gets the fast passes is supposed to then come over and join everyone else.

To be honest my sister and I went and did this a few times, and no one said anything. I really didn't think anything about it. Of course until I joined disboards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter