Scared of Indoor Dining

Call me naive but I have to believe they are doing anything they can to keep you safe. Disney definitely doesn't want to have to close down again.
This is how I feel as well. I have zero hesitations with eating indoors or being inside, so that may skew my opinions to some, but I haven't felt unsafe anywhere.

This makes me feel so much better! Thank you! We are also very paranoid normally at home, as it's still not great here (Northern VA/Washington DC). We still haven't done indoor dining here, and the main areas near us are already back to near normal congestion. I keep telling myself that we're definitely safer at WDW than we are at our local grocery stores or restaurants. Your thoughts verify this thinking!!

I’m extremely paranoid about COVID.....and I keep trying to tell myself that Disney is going to be safer than grocery stores.....but I don’t really believe it. I want to believe it but I don’t. The difference is that when I am in a store I am never in the same place for more than a minute. I pass strangers in the aisles but I’m never exposed to them for very long. In a restaurant, any restaurant, I’m going to be sitting in the same place for forty five minutes to an hour. Someone, correct me if I’m wrong, I want to be wrong, but I think that sitting in a restaurant (any restaurant that doesn’t have people at least six feet apart) is risky. You don’t know how far apart the tables will be spaced until you‘ve already checked in. Good social distancing on a week with lower demand will be better than on a crowded week. So, last weeks reports (that I am very thankful for) don’t really tell you what you’ll find at the same place next week.

We live in a state that is very rigid about masks and social distancing. I think this alters peoples perceptions about how safe it is at Disney. If mask compliance is bad in your local area and it is good at Disney then you’re probably going to feel safer at Disney than you will if you are from an area where mask compliance and social distancing is 95 percent.

I’ve spent about a month trying to figure out how to go to Disney and avoid Covid. It seems possible but stressful. I’m probably still going to go. One piece of advice, if you go then be careful but not so careful that you’re miserable. If you are going to go then let yourself enjoy the trip. If all things are equal then you are no less exposed by being annoyed the whole time that you’re at WDW. The family that is too close in the line for Seven Dwarfs will be too close whether you are annoyed or not so the risk is the same either way. I hope that I’m able to follow that advice myself because I know that the actions of others may ruin my trip if I let them.

I’m extremely paranoid about COVID.....and I keep trying to tell myself that Disney is going to be safer than grocery stores.....but I don’t really believe it. I want to believe it but I don’t. The difference is that when I am in a store I am never in the same place for more than a minute. I pass strangers in the aisles but I’m never exposed to them for very long. In a restaurant, any restaurant, I’m going to be sitting in the same place for forty five minutes to an hour. Someone, correct me if I’m wrong, I want to be wrong, but I think that sitting in a restaurant (any restaurant that doesn’t have people at least six feet apart) is risky. You don’t know how far apart the tables will be spaced until you‘ve already checked in. Good social distancing on a week with lower demand will be better than on a crowded week. So, last weeks reports (that I am very thankful for) don’t really tell you what you’ll find at the same place next week.

We live in a state that is very rigid about masks and social distancing. I think this alters peoples perceptions about how safe it is at Disney. If mask compliance is bad in your local area and it is good at Disney then you’re probably going to feel safer at Disney than you will if you are from an area where mask compliance and social distancing is 95 percent.

I’ve spent about a month trying to figure out how to go to Disney and avoid Covid. It seems possible but stressful. I’m probably still going to go. One piece of advice, if you go then be careful but not so careful that you’re miserable. If you are going to go then let yourself enjoy the trip. If all things are equal then you are no less exposed by being annoyed the whole time that you’re at WDW. The family that is too close in the line for Seven Dwarfs will be too close whether you are annoyed or not so the risk is the same either way. I hope that I’m able to follow that advice myself because I know that the actions of others may ruin my trip if I let them.

Being indoors in close proximity to other people for an extended amount of time is risky. There are known cases of covid exposure from restaurants. Distancing mitigates the risk but you can’t control every factor such as air flow from ac. You could be situated so that droplets from someone speaking more than 6 feet away are being consistently carried in your direction for the entire time you sit there.

I’m sure the risk is minimal but personally it’s something I’m not doing for now.

I’m also not going to Disney but if I did I would only do outdoors with plenty of spacing. Again that’s just me being maybe overly cautious with DW being a health care worker and seeing more and more covid patients daily. For better or worse it makes us aware all the time.

If you really want to go, but you’re worried, stick to counter service and find a space outside to eat. :goodvibes

This makes me feel so much better! Thank you! We are also very paranoid normally at home, as it's still not great here (Northern VA/Washington DC). We still haven't done indoor dining here, and the main areas near us are already back to near normal congestion. I keep telling myself that we're definitely safer at WDW than we are at our local grocery stores or restaurants. Your thoughts verify this thinking!!

Hi Neighbor! We're in Woodbridge. I also have avoided dining out, though I did take my kids for each of their birthdays once things opened up. One chose Ruth's Chris which was very well distanced and done nicely, the other chose Maggiano's in Springfield which was not as distanced (but they tried). All in all like you I don't like the situation in our area, but I am hopeful Disney will have it figured out by the time we go in Nov.

I’m pretty cautious with my COVID precautions but will be there in a couple of weeks. I won’t be doing any indoor dining or attractions that would keep me indoors for more than 15 minutes or so. This probably means no Soarin’ or Tower of Terror this trip but I think I’ll still have a great time. I went to the AP preview at MK with even stricter self-imposed restrictions and enjoyed it very, very much.

I’m driving down and will bring the big ice chest filled with picknicky stuff. I do have ADRs at Tony’s, Raglan Road, Rose and Crown and Spice Road which have outdoor dining.

Call me naive but I have to believe they are doing anything they can to keep you safe. Disney definitely doesn't want to have to close down again.

Being inside with unmasked people is still extremely risky, no matter how far apart you are. Dining especially since it’s a prolonged activity. As someone above mentioned, air flow can blow someones droplets right into your face regardless of distance. I’m not saying don’t ever eat inside, just saying Disney or not, six foot or not, it is not going to be safe for a long time.

We did eat inside twice during a five day trip- once at Sci-Fi and once at DB7. Sci Fi has probably 12+ feet between parties and a very high ceiling; DB7 also has a high ceiling. Not sure if ceiling height makes a difference but it seems like air flow would be better. DB7 I wanted to eat outside but mom’s desire for a/c for twenty minutes overruled me. :)

I’m pretty cautious with my COVID precautions but will be there in a couple of weeks. I won’t be doing any indoor dining or attractions that would keep me indoors for more than 15 minutes or so. This probably means no Soarin’ or Tower of Terror this trip but I think I’ll still have a great time. I went to the AP preview at MK with even stricter self-imposed restrictions and enjoyed it very, very much.

I’m driving down and will bring the big ice chest filled with picknicky stuff. I do have ADRs at Tony’s, Raglan Road, Rose and Crown and Spice Road which have outdoor dining.
Most of the time the Soarin queue is 10 minutes or less.

All great insight! Also it helps to eat at random times, like 10:00 or 3:30. Might mess up your routine but fewer people might be eating then.
This is why I booked Cali Grill for 9pm next week (on Monday night too). Fingers crossed it's empty!

You realize 6 feet is arbitrary distance right? They had to pick a number. Unless someone coughs in your face, I wouldn't worry too much about one foot vs 12 feet.

I don’t want to derail the conversation, but you seem to have joined today just to negate Disney's policies.

Just go back from a 2 week trip. Let me preface that we have literally done no dining or takeout since March, so this was stressful! But it was our honeymoon so we made exceptions. Here is mine and DHs feelings on each restaurant we did;

1. Toppilionos - well distanced except if you are put in a booth. Those only have plexiglass between each party.
2. Kona Cafe - DH was uncomfortable due to lack of social distancing (he was definitely within 6 ft of another party) and food was eh.
3. Cali Grill (first time) - we were in a back room with only 3 other parties so we were very comfortable. Food is incredible but expensive.
4. Sanaa - we had one of the last reservations of the night (8:45) so not many groups left and had a big booth to ourselves
5. I’l Molino - tables spaced apart and generally the same as the Disney owned restaurants. Some small changes, like no paper receipt book and table setting was already on the table when we arrived.
6. Homecomin - this is where I felt most uncomfortable. DS is a different beast with little mask compliance. It was also PACKED. We actually considered leaving but stuck it out.
7. Spice Road - we had the first lunch reservation and were seated outside so no one else was there for most of our meal. Started to fill in later on but tables were about 6 feet apart.
8. BOG - had the last reservation of the night. Was in the main ballroom in the back by the snow doors. Every other table was being seated but it emptied out quickly.
9. Wine Bar George - seated outside on upstairs patio and was very comfortable. Tables outside were more than 6 feet apart. Issues with DS in general though..
10. Cali Grill (trip # 2) - 8:45 reservation and this restaurant was still busy when we left at 10pm. Put in the back room again so we were comfortable. Main dining area can feel crowded though... there are a lot of people in that main space, and constantly passing you. That’s why we loved getting the back room both times so much.

If of interest, I can give the breakdown of our QS experience too.

Thank you! I would appreciate hearing about your QS experiences too.

When checking in using your phone, are you able to request an outside or specific (back room) location? Hope you had a fantastic honeymoon!

Just go back from a 2 week trip. Let me preface that we have literally done no dining or takeout since March, so this was stressful! But it was our honeymoon so we made exceptions. Here is mine and DHs feelings on each restaurant we did;

1. Toppilionos - well distanced except if you are put in a booth. Those only have plexiglass between each party.
2. Kona Cafe - DH was uncomfortable due to lack of social distancing (he was definitely within 6 ft of another party) and food was eh.
3. Cali Grill (first time) - we were in a back room with only 3 other parties so we were very comfortable. Food is incredible but expensive.
4. Sanaa - we had one of the last reservations of the night (8:45) so not many groups left and had a big booth to ourselves
5. I’l Molino - tables spaced apart and generally the same as the Disney owned restaurants. Some small changes, like no paper receipt book and table setting was already on the table when we arrived.
6. Homecomin - this is where I felt most uncomfortable. DS is a different beast with little mask compliance. It was also PACKED. We actually considered leaving but stuck it out.
7. Spice Road - we had the first lunch reservation and were seated outside so no one else was there for most of our meal. Started to fill in later on but tables were about 6 feet apart.
8. BOG - had the last reservation of the night. Was in the main ballroom in the back by the snow doors. Every other table was being seated but it emptied out quickly.
9. Wine Bar George - seated outside on upstairs patio and was very comfortable. Tables outside were more than 6 feet apart. Issues with DS in general though..
10. Cali Grill (trip # 2) - 8:45 reservation and this restaurant was still busy when we left at 10pm. Put in the back room again so we were comfortable. Main dining area can feel crowded though... there are a lot of people in that main space, and constantly passing you. That’s why we loved getting the back room both times so much.

Thanks so much for this breakdown! I would love to hear your QS experience.

I know this is the dining thread, but I don't see you being inside ToT for more than 10-15 minutes. They aren't doing the preshow, just walking through to the boiler room. That line moves quick. And they keep you very well distanced on the ride itself.

I know this is the dining thread, but I don't see you being inside ToT for more than 10-15 minutes. They aren't doing the preshow, just walking through to the boiler room. That line moves quick. And they keep you very well distanced on the ride itself.
If you get caught indoors during a cleaning cycle the line stops moving for about 15 minutes. Happened to us. So there is a chance of being indoors for more than 10-15 minutes, but depends on timing.

If you get caught indoors during a cleaning cycle the line stops moving for about 15 minutes. Happened to us. So there is a chance of being indoors for more than 10-15 minutes, but depends on timing.
Good to know. During 2 of my rides they were cleaning one side, but the other side was running and the line was still moving well. I guess there may be times they clean both sides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter