*Sept 10th 2011 WB Transatlantic* From Spain to Space Mountain - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been trolling Ebay looking for Fish Extenders, trying to decide if I just want to get a cheap one or a custom one. I'm at my mom's today and she opens her closet door and there is a lime green, 4 pocket, Mickey Mouse FE hanging on the inside!! I screamed "FISH EXTENDER!!" and she jumped back and almost had a heart attack! "What the ++++ are you talking about?" my mom says.:lmao:

So of course, I explained what an FE is. Turns out that she bought it at a garage sale a couple years ago for my kids, and according to her I tried to talk her out of it. So now we'll just get something to write our names on it and we are good to go!

Moving down my checklist: cruise - booked and paid for; airline tix - booked and paid for; rental car for return drive home - booked; hotel in BCN - booked, partially with points :woohoo:; lanyards and pins -done; transport from hotel to port - done; PM'd Pat about FE's - done

Still to do: all excursions; online check in 12:01am June 27; Dis T shirt; sign up for mojito and mixology and secret mickey; pack, fly to Barcelona and CRUISE......:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Such a cool story

I'm off to bed. I MC'd the retirement ceremony for the Colonel who was Dennis' boss's boss today. I also did the change of command ceremony for them on Monday. Twice in one week I had to wear "grown up" clothes - dress, heels, and (ugh!) hose. And Spanx, of course. Then I had to do a quick change and get to the commissary to work.

Can't say I don't lead an interesting life. In the afternoon I'm introducing a two-star General to a crowd of people and two hours later I'm bagging groceries. :rotfl: Funny old world, isn't it?

Wow that is a switch out!

So you may want to take precautionary bottles in Barcelona just in case Morrison's is closed.

Amanda (Fontabel)

Ba ha ha ha ha a precautionary bottle?????

Thanks to all the disboard members who have been playing our excursion and activities :thumbsup2 The only place we don't have anything planned is Gibraltor. Since we have never been there we want to see what it has to offer. Should we wait and hire a taxi at the port or book an excursion through DCL. Any info greatly appeciated.:confused3

Yes thanks to everyone putting all the hard work in long before I was contemplating this cruise!

Gibraltar, I did post earlier about our bad experience with a prebooked tour. There were plenty of taxi's right outside just looking to give you a tour. BUT be warned. Make sure that they agree to exactly what you want up front, and if you want to get out and actually walk around something, be clear that is your plan (ie the Moorish castle, many do drive by's and consider that you have "seen" it). Unfortunately, the more "tours" they can do in a day, the more money they can make, so some of the more unsavory drivers are going after volume. I do think this time with DD I am going to do the sky tram thing (can't think of the name) to the top, see the cave, do the apes, and if I can figure out a way will do WW2 tunnels (different from the seige tunnels). I will probably just pay out of pocket for rides to where we need to go as we go along and plan on walking down. (you can easily get taxis at the port and downtown off the main street, not so much from the attractions, unless someone is willing to share) OR I will very firmly negotiate what we want and make sure I have pounds to pay with. Do NOT do NOT plan on using Euros. Bad bad bad exchange.

We booked the "City Under Seige" tour through DCL. It included all the things we wanted to see. We booked the 12:45 PM one so we could wander around in the morning, do a little shopping.

I wanted to throw in we saw what we think was this tour (our original choice) and they were getting a GUIDED tour of the siege tunnels. The tunnels are cool but on your own, after a few static displays, and looking out the windows, it lost my interest. We were supposed to have a guided tour but our whole private tour got messed up. So, recommondations for this!

I was thinking that I should get a conversion kit for the plugs for my electronics that I am bringing on the trip (CPAP machine, cell phone charger, dvd player, laptop, etc), but then I realized that the Magic must have "normal" (i.e., American, no offense to Europeans:laughing:) outlets. So if I can just do without using those things for the one night at the hotel in Barcelona, I should be okay for the trip, right?
I do go occasionaly a night here, a night there without mine, so yes that is what I will probably do. I do have some conversion plugs around somewhere, bought a whole "set" of them but not sure what is what anymore or if we even have them all.

Do you carry your CPAP onboard as carryon for the flights? Or do you risk checking it? I've never checked it, but it sure would be nice. I guess it is better to do carryon "just in case...." plus it is free allowance being medical.
due to the cost of the machine, I am not checking mine. ever.

I will probably have one of my carry ons be a small wheeled tote that the case can fit in, and then I will bring it with me. I don't sleep well without it, but I think I can get through a night if it means that I don't have to worry about a conversion kit. I think I will just ask Disney for an extension because I don't want to have to pack that if I can borrow it for free. They sell distilled water on board, right?
I did carry distilled water on the EBTA, but honestly will probably just use tap water on the WBTA, I was told I could occasionally. I did not see any on board but wasn't looking either.

We could do a star wars mask contest with all our cpap masks? (I had a darth vader but have moved on to a snufflelumpegus, even though that is not star wars, kids said I was not pulling off jar jar with it)

just looked at the FE document, looks like we're going to need to tell the captain to visit another port so we have another name for another group, there's only 5 spaces left in the current groups :scared:

How about a group called Pirate Party or something like that....

Nah... just add something for sea days and you will be good.

Are you trying to give Pat cardiac arrest? Another group? :lmao:How about the Orlando group, or the WDW group, or the Sailing with the Fishies :fish:group? (stop me now, before I get silly :goodvibes) Although Aug. 1 is coming quickly; it may be a moot point.

I'm thinking we probably won't need another group. I figure everyone here who's going to sign up has already done so, and as the other (another?) Pat said, Aug 1 is fast approaching. I may end up dropping out of a group or two any way, if I can't get my gifties finished, which would free up a couple of spaces. But if we do need to add another group, it will be...

Tortuga.

Or maybe Magic Kingdom.

Must go to bed. Have to work both jobs tomorrow and run lights tomorrow night. At least it keeps me off the streets.

Ok....name your price (or in this case..name your beverage! :goodvibes) We've got a show that has to go on and word has it through the grapevine....you are the one who can whip us into shape to perform our Riverdance magic for 14 nightly performances! :banana::banana::banana:

pssst she is a big sucker for juice and smoothies......
:cool1:

She needs to bring her dancing shoes: there will probably be a Guest Talent Show onboard near the end of the cruise.
Thanks Lynne, I let her know. She is packing music and her shoes.

We were only a few days away from the laundry room on our 14 night B2B caribbean cruise. It was so easy to quickly check when it was empty and we were never disturbed by riverdancing :rotfl2:
ROFLMAO! :rotfl:

Definately!!

This is one thing I really HATED about Royal Caribbean. We went on a 12 night with them last year, and the packing was tricky for 4 people and no laundry room/iron. And because we had an inside cabin, even rinsing out swimsuits seemed to take forever to get them to dry. Steve ran out of socks, so I washed them in the cabin but they wouldn't dry, so I tried to find a sunlounger in a less conspicuous spot and had my little rack of socks drying in the sun (tacky, I know... I was getting desperate!) I could have sent laundry out, but it's really expensive for four people.

So this sounds like the height of civility to me... a laundry room! No more socks hanging in my cabin! :woohoo:

(sad, I know...)

too funny about your drying rack!

Mic - so funny to read your comments about "old" issues. I guess you are serious about catching up with what's been going on.

The latest news on Morrison's is that they will be OPEN on September 12 (the national holiday is actually on September 10).

The Gibraltar taxi tour we've chatted about is with one specific taxi driver which some of us lucked into on the EBTA '10 at the port. Don't know if we missed out on anything important, but we had a very enjoyable tour. He quotes prices in / accepts payment in both pounds sterling and euros.

Me too - you get to meet some lovely people in laundry rooms :)

I have never cruised with any other line apart from DCL - hearing things like you've said regarding laundry rooms etc, just makes me not want to cruise with anyone else.

Not sad at all...
The one time I cruised on RC I did feel they charged for alot of things I had always considered included on DIS.

You are not a nag. I don't want to be onboard a ship on fire and people are chancing it here with taking and using irons and kettles. I have no doubt whatsoever that people take them, but really please think of the consequences. No matter how much we think we won't leave them switched on, it is very easily done.
yep me neither!

Speaking of all this iron business....my iron at home shuts off way too quickly. Doesn't it know that I need the time it takes to heat up to catch up on my Disboard threads. I mean, I have to have priorities here!!!:lmao:
Geez apparently it's not a "smart iron"

I'm having this sudden allergic reaction to all this ironing/washing clothes talk :laundy:, so I'll just head off to work! lol Have a wonderful Wednesday! Big hug for everyone! :grouphug:
Sorry we went you off to work!

I had planned on doing laundry, but I keep finding these CUTE things for the girls to wear. It may turn out to be just laundry for Curt and I. :rotfl2: And it will be our favorite tshirts I'm sure... the ones we seem to always pack.
works for me, less laundry, kids clothes take up less room, you are good!

I had a friend actually die from a hotel fire in the New Orleans area several years ago, which was started in the laundry room. I'm now one of those who request a room near the fire escape... lower floor... especially now that I have two little ones to protect.
yikes so sorry!

I do understand what everyone is saying but the same could be said about curling irons, hot rollers and hair dryers and people still bring them. I got a naughty note one time about leaving the curling iron plugged in (even though it was off) and I don't do that anymore, but I've never had anything confiscated. Last year we did the BTB Med and WBTA and our friends brought a travel iron/steamer and it was a God send...although you're right...you make some great friends in the laundry room--and I'm still looking forward to learning that River Dance!!!

LOL!

Good thing I don't bring those either! And if I could get away with it, I'd leave the makeup at home as well. I will at least wear it to dinner. :rotfl:

we are supposed to bring makeup?

Hi Everyone! My dad is supposed to join my mom, me and my husband in September. He just found out he needs surgery. His hip has been giving him really bad pain. Now he has to decide to do the surgery as soon as possible to get rid of the pain. Or, to go on our cruise and hold off on surgery. He has new meds so I hope that helps with the pain and he's able to go. We went on the WBTA last year and wished he was there. I know he'd love it, but if he's still in pain it wouldn't be as much fun. Please keep your fingers crossed and send him happy thoughts. It's such a tough decision, but one only he can make.

just looked at the FE document, looks like we're going to need to tell the captain to visit another port so we have another name for another group, there's only 5 spaces left in the current groups :scared:

Maybe we could add *one* or 2 more to each group?? Just sayin... ;)

Nope Disney doesn't but other cruise lines do. We take at least 2 bottle of wine in our main luggage and it is always there say and sound when we get our luggage:cool1:

They really do caution (beg you not to) put liquids in your checked bags. We checked a "bag o' booze" lol and then pulled it out of the checked bags & rolled it through as a carry on. The dude checking it said...Whoa...nice. DH still quotes him! :rotfl:

we are supposed to bring makeup?

Makeup addict here....I will be the one half asleep, but eye liner & mascara included. When I die they should bury me with my stack of cosmetics - they are my first love!! :cloud9:

Hi Everyone! My dad is supposed to join my mom, me and my husband in September. He just found out he needs surgery. His hip has been giving him really bad pain. Now he has to decide to do the surgery as soon as possible to get rid of the pain. Or, to go on our cruise and hold off on surgery. He has new meds so I hope that helps with the pain and he's able to go. We went on the WBTA last year and wished he was there. I know he'd love it, but if he's still in pain it wouldn't be as much fun. Please keep your fingers crossed and send him happy thoughts. It's such a tough decision, but one only he can make.

Prayers and lots and lots of pixiedust: for your Dad!!

Does anyone have a list of the nightly shows that they would recommend for small children versus shows to skip? I was thinking we could enjoy extra splash pool time on the evenings there is a show that doesn't appeal to our kiddos (ages 5 and 1). I know someone had mentioned that not all shows are Disney-ish or geared towards families. With a list, we could plan or day more accordingly of if we are going to skip the early show that evening. (We have late dining)

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup2
For young children I am thinking the hypnotist, comedians etc would definately not be as enticing as the Disney theatricals.

This is my first Disney cruise, but not my first cruise. My grandson will not be coming along this time, but we're trying this out for future reference. Any tips? thanks IansGran

Welcome aboard! How old is Ian?

for other people who are planning on doing the travelling door magnets, what characters are you thinking of doing? (just thinking it'd be fun if we all do different characters, that way we can see how many we can find during the cruise :))

I suppose I could let DD win this one, it would be Cinderella. (okay in all honestly she is 13 and I hope she NEVER outgrows Cinderella!)

All ocean views are in the cat 9's it only means the worse room you will get is 9D... you may get better... most of the folks on the EBTA did.....

And cat 8's!

Thank you! She sits next to the light board every night, keeping me company, like a good little theatre dog.

Cute, my dog would be too busy checking things out

I'm at Harry Potter.....very excited for this as it's my birthday monday so an excellent way to kick off the weekend!! I think here will be many tears during this movie though...I can't believe this is it!!

On another note, I had a conference downtown Chicago today, and decided - unwisely - to walk the 1.2 miles from the train to the conference location in my heels...both ways...I have about 4 blisters per foot now, one each on my heels - ouch!!

Anyone else seeing HP this weekend or doing anythig else exciting??? :goodvibes

Mic - so funny to read your comments about "old" issues. I guess you are serious about catching up with what's been going on.

The latest news on Morrison's is that they will be OPEN on September 12 (the national holiday is actually on September 10).

The Gibraltar taxi tour we've chatted about is with one specific taxi driver which some of us lucked into on the EBTA '10 at the port. Don't know if we missed out on anything important, but we had a very enjoyable tour. He quotes prices in / accepts payment in both pounds sterling and euros.

so long as it is not Mark, from gibraltartours, not sure where my post on that ended up. wonder if DIS pulled it?

could he try a cortizone shot for the cruise?

Sorry, I'm a little behind, but I see some folks with pet care concerns. If you go the the PSI website (Pet Sitters International) you can enter your zip code and find a professional service in your area. Most are insured have tons of experience.

Also, is there any update on t-shirts with the cruise "logo"? The last I knew there was a copyright issue. Any new news??

Have a great day!!

For young children I am thinking the hypnotist, comedians etc would definately not be as enticing as the Disney theatricals.

...I suppose I could let DD win this one, it would be Cinderella. (okay in all honestly she is 13 and I hope she NEVER outgrows Cinderella!)...

On the Alaska cruise in early June, there were lots of small children, and they loved some of the jugglers and comedians,... Sometimes you'll see one who flops, but most seem to know how to entertain a crowd. However, Mandy's 5 yo and 15 mo may not be as amused and could enjoy swimming more.

My favorite princess graphic:

CrazyDisneyPrincess.jpg

I'm at Harry Potter.....very excited for this as it's my birthday monday so an excellent way to kick off the weekend!! ...
Anyone else seeing HP this weekend or doing anythig else exciting??? :goodvibes

This is like those of you who get caught at work :surfweb:, feeding your DIS habit.

Sorry, I'm a little behind, but I see some folks with pet care concerns. If you go the the PSI website (Pet Sitters International) you can enter your zip code and find a professional service in your area. Most are insured have tons of experience.

Also, is there any update on t-shirts with the cruise "logo"? The last I knew there was a copyright issue. Any new news??

Have a great day!!

We have ditched the idea of ordering together - everyone is encouraged to purchase one on their own (and save $). There are copyright issues/concerns/ denial of design by some companies, but success has been found with Vistaprint. Details of how to get a group-matching shirt can be found on Page 1 or 2 of this thread (and should also be at the beginning of the thread Part 5 that will start today - we've reached our thread limit of 250 pages).

Hope your dad is able to make a decision regarding surgery that works best for him in the short- and long-run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter