Spice Up Those Post Holiday Blues with a BWV Trip (Now Trip Report)

DisneyRegulars

DIS Veteran
I just couldn't help myself. I've done all my planning, made all my ADRs and FP+ reservations. Checked in online. Finished my last trip report, the only thing left to do is wait. So while waiting I thought the best way to pass the time would be to start my trip report. So without further ado, let me introduce our trip to you and the supporting cast.

We are planning a 9 night trip starting January 3rd 2014. The time frame was chosen based solely on my parent's ability to join us, and would not necessarily have been our first choice of times to go. My parents are teachers and we are used to having to travel during busier times to accommodate their schedules(Easter week, Christmas Week for example) and have always had a good time. Our stay will span across 3 resorts although I'm still holding out hope for a wait list coming through to reduce the resorts down to 2. Right now we are arriving late Friday night and staying 1 night in SSR. We then move to BWV for Sunday - Tuesday nights. My parents depart Wednesday, but my family will move to AKV-Kidani for Wednesday through Friday nights. We'll depart Saturday night.
**UPDATE** As I was writing this my wait list came through!!!!!!! Seriously, how cool is that!!! We now have the first 5 nights at BWV. YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!

So the cast. Who is this motley crew of Disney travellers you are about to embark on a trip report with? For starters there are five of us. Me (30ish), your narrator extraordinaire. DH, Grizzly (38ish). DS, Tigger, 2 weeks shy of 4 on this trip. DN (Darling Nana), or Nana, my mom (60ish), and finally DP (Darling Pepere), Pepere, my Dad (60ish). I grew up going to Disney every 2-3 years with my family. They love Disney. They love rope drop. We are going to have a great time.

Instead of repeating my typical trip report personal introductions, I'm going to do it Facebook style, like a current trend going around where people share 8 things you may not know about them(actually you can get assigned any number, but I'm going to go with 8). So here goes:

Me, your narrator
1. I once owned 5 ferrets at single time, 3 of them I purchased, and 2 of them I adopted from my mom when she had to move away.
2. I have lived in 5 different countries, visited over 30 different countries, but Disney is still my favorite place to vacation in the entire world.
3. I only have one son and as of right now have zero desire to have more children. I sometimes feel like I am the only person in the world who feels this way.
4. I am severely sensitive to caffeine to the point where I can't have a decaf coffee or even chocolate after 11am or I will be up ALL night. I usually have at least one lapse each Disney trip where I am up all night due to caffiene. Last trip it was eating coffee heath bar crunch ice cream at 2pm. Prior trips I have learned that I need to stay away from the hot fudge on the Ghiradelli sundaes. Very sad about that.
5. I like to be healthy and active but don't really enjoy exercising unless it is with Grizzly and there is some sort of goal to work towards. Expedition Everest Challenge is our next goal.
6. I'm an industrial engineer and am fascinated by the queuing strategies that Disney uses. A dream job would be to help Touring Plans improve their touring plans.
7. When I was 5 months pregnant with my son I watched the Business of Being Born and switched to having a home birth. It was awesome.
8. I went insane during my son's first year with the thought that I must must must make him a quilt for his first twin bed or the world would stop spinning. I finished the quilt that first year, but I have yet to give it to him now 4 years later because we are still working on night time training and there is no way anyone is going to pee on that quilt!

Grizzly
1. He had a cardiac stent put in at age 26 (scared the heck out of your narrator).
2. If given the choice between a chocolate sundae or a strawberry sundae would choose strawberry every time.
3. The first country he visited other than Canada was Morocco with me and my family shortly after we were married.
4. He once drove across the country to move to Arizona, hated it and moved back after 3 months. (Yeah for me! We met shortly after.)
5. His first trip to Disney was when he was 27 years old.(I was terrified he wouldn't like it, turns out I had nothing to worry about, took us 7 years and 10 trips before buying DVC)
6. According to Grizzly there cannot be too many shows about zombies or ghosts.
7. The only 'reality' show he will tolerate other than a ghost hunting show is Duck Dynasty.
8. He made Tigger's bed from scratch. It looks like a monster, complete with 7 eyes, feet as the foot board, tail, and integrated LED lights on remote control.

Tigger (Age almost 4)
1. He once loved Cinderella and all things princessy but more recently is into all things cars and racing.
2. He is at that wonderful age when the line between reality and fantasy is still blurred. Santa is real. Christmas is going to be so awesome this year.
3. He rides a Strider Pre-Bike like a maniac.
4. He couldn't take his Strider Pre-Bike outside for over a year because he refused to wear a helmet.
5. He hates getting new shoes, and when he was littler used to cry for a week (like sawing off his feet crying) with each pair of new shoes.
6. He is not particularly attached to any one toy but does seem to like his brown blanket the best.
7. He cannot swim yet, likes to go in the pool, but HATES getting water splashed on his face. (Water Parks and More option on our Premium Annual Passes hasn't been used too much!)
8. He is a super empathetic little sweetie, to the point where the best way to discipline him is to tell him his actions made someone sad. He will fall to the ground in tears if he is told he has made someone sad. This got us in trouble our last trip because he was distraught when he saw people stuck on the Barnstormer, he was sad because he thought they were sad.

Nana (my mom, Tigger's Grandmother)
1. I have never seen her flip out as wildly as she did when we were trying to take our ferret home from Korea and the customs folks wouldn't let us because they said the ferret was a 'small fox' and was a wild animal we had found in the forest. This was a few years before the internet. Talk about the appearance of a mama bear. Yikes, never get between my mom and her ferrets. Fred the ferret was allowed to leave the country. He was a well travelled little ferret and also made it to Malaysia.
2. She loves to garden. (I hate it)
3. She loves to cook and entertain. (me not so much)
4. When I was little she would wake us up at night or we would stay up really late and go on midnight picnics.
5. She can tie a shoe with her toes. (This has got to be the most completely useless skill of all skills ever)
6. She teaches science in international schools and currently is living in Ghana with my Dad.
7. She likes to do Zumba.
8. Along with my Dad she has the inability to stay put and live in one place for more than 3 years at a time. They have owned 8 different houses in my lifetime, and will probably buy and sell a few more before they manage to finally settle down. They have also lived in 8 different countries.

Pepere (my Dad)
1. Taught PE for most of his career until his knees gave out. He's now a middle school principal.
2. Likes to sing nonsense songs with no real words, very much like the sounds the fox says. He adored that video when I showed it to him. Incase you live in a cave and have somehow missed it: What does the fox say?
3. Has never once called me by my real name, even to the point of receiving athletic awards in highschool he called me up as Beast. I'll take Beast, he calls my brother Dog Lips!
4. Likes to take long drives in the car, yet the only time growing up I ever heard my parents fight was in the car with my mom trying to read the map. Thank goodness for GPS.
5. When I was little we could never manage to go the Benson's Wild Animal Farm (in NH) without locking the keys in the car. It happened every time, it was hilarious.
6. He loves to try and scare you even more than the rides do. Riding Snow White's Scary Adventure was so scary with my Dad. I'm sad my son will never get the same chance.
7. While a roller coaster junky when younger most rides make him feel sick now. (I'm slowly becoming the same way :( )
8. He is always on the go, when not on the go, he is either sleeping or on his phone or ipad.

Here is a picture of my family on our last trip:
905a8432-3378-46c3-844c-21554b404ee4_zpsec22c79f.jpg

And here is a picture of my parents during their last trip to Disney, with us when my son was 14 months old. I love love love that they were willing to wear Mickey ears. On the backs of the ears they say "Nana" and "ZDog"
317018cf-185c-4f63-8e77-7f59d28d3174_zps70b3810f.jpg

So thanks for joining along! Can't wait to share my trip with you.

15 days to go! I always seem to have trouble focusing on my upcoming Disney trip because with DVC there are always other trips in the works as well. Right now we have a GFV trip scheduled for May and just yesterday I registered us for the Expedition Everest Challenge for that trip. Then I had the brilliant idea of offering to take my MIL and my BIL, SIL and niece to Disney in 2015 instead of our planned Aulani/Disneyland excursion. What was I thinking? So now I'm in the waiting game of waiting to hear back from BIL/SIL on if they want to come. We gave them a month to think about it, but it's going to be a long month. And then Christmas!!! Christmas to a parent of a near 4 year old is probably even more awesome than Disney, and I LOVE Disney, so you can only imagine how psyched I am about Christmas. Lots of Hot Wheel tracks under the tree this year for our little car obsessed boy (Wow! Just last year he was obsessed with Cinderella, my how a lot can change in a year).

Oh that's right, you wanted to read about the trip. It's all planned out and ready to go! FP+ selections were made at the 60 day mark. I have been carrying around my parent's magic bands in my purse so I don't forget to give them to them this weekend while in NH. They've been in my purse for two weeks now. The are supposed to arrive at MCO 15 minutes before our flight, but with winter weather being so unpredictable, I have signed them up for the Magical Express in case our flights in the end don't line up so nicely.

So looking forward to our stay at the BWV. Now to focus on work for a bit.

Yay! I found you, and your trip is so close!! Can't wait! Exciting that your wait list came through. What category are you staying at BWV?

Yay! I found you, and your trip is so close!! Can't wait! Exciting that your wait list came through. What category are you staying at BWV?

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! Glad to have you back. :) We have a Garden View 2 Bedroom at BWV.

I made my packing list. I really should make an electronic list and print it out for each trip rather than writing the list again from scratch each trip. Tonight I think I will do the majority of my packing so that on New Years, which I have off, I can relax and be a vegetable on the couch. (We are sending Tigger to daycare!!!!!!!!! Wahahahahaha!)

I saw my parents over Christmas break and dropped off their Magic Bands and park tickets to them. I'm giving them a 50% chance that they will forget them. Last trip my mom forgot the park tickets, so it wouldn't be the first time.

My Dad is in severe need of some knee replacements and returned from Ghana with a limp which he did not have 4 months ago when he left. I've suggested he get a scooter, but he will have none of it. I know he will be in pain on this trip and I'm a little worried about him.

Tigger is very very excited to take Nana and Pepere on the Barnstormer.

One more thing...I bought Tigger some sound ear muffs so that we don't have to hold his ears on rides like Thunder Mountain and in the bathrooms. You should have seen him jumping up and down and squealing with delight when I showed them to him. He was more excited about his ear muffs than about his Hot Wheels Wall Tracks Power Tower Santa brought him, and believe me he was excited about that darn Power Tower. Wish I had thought of them sooner. I have been left pants down in bathroom stalls many many times as Tigger bolts from fright when he hears a hand dryer or toilet flush. Those stall locks are no match for a terrified toddler/kid. Hopefully, these new ear muffs will relieve some of his stress.

We are 27 Hours from departure, 3 hours from the mad dash of Southwest flight check-in. It's looking like it could be a pretty interesting travel day. Hopefully things clear up by tomorrow, but here's the Manchester airport flights for today (I'm not sure it could get more depressing) Hopefully these cancelled flights won't impact tomorrow's schedule. I wish my parents luck in their travels from NH:

IeFC56K.jpg

And here's the view outside my office looking at the Buffalo Airport. This also nicely illustrates how far I have to walk after I park my car at the office. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to con a coworker into dropping me off. It's pretty snowy, roads are slick, but really it's not too bad here by Buffalo standards. I hope it stays this way or gets better.
yxEbg1D.jpg

So before I start this charming little story of how I nearly died this morning, I should update you on some previous peril so you will understand my fragile state and complete untrust of the MDE and DVC reservation systems. So shortly after my waitlist came through I emailed DVC Member services and requested that they link my existing BWV reservation with my one night that came through. Well, I went about my day and a few days later was showing Grizzly our fastpass+ reservations when we happened to notice that our check-in date had changed from the 3rd to the 4th. Hmmm...It was 9pm at night. Time to panic! Checked the member website. Yup, the night of the 3rd had vanished. OH MY GOODNESS!! There was limited sleep that night. I called Member Services as soon as they opened the next morning. Explained the situation, and was put on hold for about 20 minutes while the folks at Member Services worked some magic, chastised some people, and through a bundle of pixie dust put my reservation back together. Few!

So after that experience I have been very wary, and have been regularly checking my reservation, and checking on my FP+ reservations. Now is where the fun starts. Yesterday I had started taking screen shots on my phone of my FP+ reservations (To set as my phone background to save battery power by not having to access the ap to look up reservation times). They all looked fine, but with the ridiculous slowness of the ap I was only able to get through a few of them. This morning I was continuing the process and noticed that the number of FP+ reservations had dropped from 5 down to 1!!!!!! My heart dropped!!!! You can imagine all the thoughts running through my head. (Will we be able to get the same times for everyone? Will I have to talk to IT for hours? What if they dissapear again?...It was an endless spiral of terror)
My screen looked like this (Notice it says FP+ for 1):
E0D05Kx.png

It took me a few moments of panic, but in the end I figured out what was wrong. Now just in case this happened to you, don't panic like me, you'll feel like an idiot I assure you. Although I changed nothing, between yesterday and today, the ap decided to stop showing the rest of my family members. I had to click the little family icon in the upper right hand corner which brough up the screen below on the left. I was the only one selected, but after selecting the rest of my party, I saw we had all 5 FP+ reservations again. Now I can breathe easier.

F59gZSF.png
k1TamiB.png

Flights are looking good for this afternoon. Thanks for the well wishes. Called my Dad and reminded him to bring the Magic Bands and he said "the what?" This is after I spent 20 minutes drilling into both Dad and Mom how important they were. Grrrrrrr!

I will be watching. We are going to BWV in Feb, although a much different group
as far as age. My DD will be 16 so bringing some friends plus my own DSons ages 19 and 17.
I am particularly interested in room location at BWV as we have a 2BR booked as well. Of course, waiting to hear the FP+ experiences. Have fun.

I will be watching. We are going to BWV in Feb, although a much different group as far as age. My DD will be 16 so bringing some friends plus my own DSons ages 19 and 17. I am particularly interested in room location at BWV as we have a 2BR booked as well. Of course, waiting to hear the FP+ experiences. Have fun.

We made it! BWV sounds like the perfect location for your crew. They will love being able to walk to both Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

Here we are! Our trip down was stressful to say the least. Unfortunately, I inherited the grumpy when traveling gene from my Dad, so I was just feeling off the entire trip. Our flight out of Buffalo was delayed about 40 minutes, pushing our arrival into MCO from a little past bedtime to WAY PAST BEDTIME WARNING GREMLIN MIGHT EMERGE TIME. While we were traveling there was the mystery of would my parents make it down or not. Their flight out of Manchester got delayed at the last minute. By like 2hrs!!!! This made them miss their connection in Newark. They were put tenth on a standby list for a later flight, but were told if they didn't make that flight the next flight was on Tuesday. 10th on standby did not sound like the odds were with them. To make matters more frustrating, I think the only flight out of Newark all day long that was on time was their connection that they missed. Grrrrrrrrr... So we make it through the blackout period of the flight and I immediately call my Dad to find out his status. Phone goes straight to voicemail. Yippee, maybe he's on a flight! He calls me back while I'm wrangling Tigger onto the Magical Express and says they are on the plane!!!!!!! I don't know how that happened, but they sure got some pixie dust.

So our plan of attack for this airport trip was that I was leaving Grizzly to deal with the luggage and car, and Tigger and I were taking the Magical Express. I timed it. It took exactly 1 hr and 5 minutes from check-in at the Magical Express to the door of BWV. We were the second stop after Caribbean Beach. Of course little Tigger fell asleep between the Caribbean Beach stop and the BWV stop. Poor tuckered Tigger. I liked the Magical Express, I haven't taken it in years. I remember the video being more entertaining, like it used to have characters in it and they would check into the hotel and go on rides and such. Now the video is more like a Disney infomercial and Tigger was not at all interested, and he kept asking when 'his shows' (the cartoons) would come back on. Magic Bands worked flawlessly for the Magical Express. One more thing, while sitting on the bus waiting, they showed clips of people trying Beverly in Epcot. This kind of irritated me. I think it's a right of passage to try this for the first time and be disgusted. It kind of gives away the fun by showing this video to people. We were on the bus for the full 30 minutes waiting, so hopefully most people don't actually get to see the clips.

Then it was check-in. Check-in involved a lot of typing and finagling by the check in lady, a lot, which was odd because she said to me "oh, you did online checkin, you did everything for me'. So what in the world she was doing if I had already done everything was beyond me. And here comes the part where I wanted to die. Or crawl into a cave of shame. She hands Tigger two things of stickers, the mickey head stickers and one set with full mickeys. Well apparently we have ruined my son by going to Disney too often. He thanked her quite nicely. (yeah for me, feeling like a very proud mama bear). Then says equally loudly holding the mickey head stickers "These are the BORING mickey stickers!" (And now I want to crawl into my tiny cave of shame.) We have gone to Disney so much that the delight of Mickey head stickers has become boring. I think what he really meant was that he likes the vacation club stickers better with Donald and Daisy. We use the Mickey head stickers at home on things like our potty charts, so apparently that has made them 'boring'. Ugh. We had a little talk about that in the elevator.

Into the room and Tigger was tucked into his pullout sofa by about 11:30. Oh and we beat Grizzly by a good 20 minutes.But that may be mostly because he couldn't find the bags.

Grizzly then ran out to the Hess for beer. We drank a beer, had some horrendously flavored pita chips, and then got ready for bed. Ha! No one remembered to pack the contact solution. Grizzly ran back out to Hess. Then finally Grizzly tucked himself into bed around 1:30 am. I slept out on the couch waiting for my parents who arrived around 3:00am.

---------- MAGIC BANDS AND FP+ EXPERIENCE SO FAR----------------
So our original plans had us up at Rope Drop with 3 early morning FP+. A 3am arrival was not at all conducive to this plan, so I hopped on MDE Ap and moved things around. It was so easy. Saturday was a 10 as far as crowd level, and I was easily able to change the time of Peter Pan to any other time I wanted, and also changed all my other FP+s too. There has been a lot of 'Wait until it's busy and you'll see the system has fallen to pieces and you won't be able to change anything dooms day prophecies'. Well I can assure you today was BUSY!!! And I have changed my FP+ a bunch of times today with no problems at all. I even switched my Barnstormer and Peter Pan FP+ times this afternoon to Space Mountain and Splash Mountain with no problems at all. So far I have ZERO complaints about the system, and actually quite like it.

So far 2 Thumbs up the the Magic Bands and the FP+

Also, my parents remembered their bands! And everyones has worked for entering the room, the parks and our FP+ times flawlessly.

Up next, our late arrival, couldn't be more perfect morning at the Magic Kingdom. (THANK YOU FP+!)

SZu5qoW.jpg
Welcome! Check out that happy family selfie of us on the boat over to the Magic Kingdom. We had little sleep but we were in good spirits. We managed to get ourselves out of the room and on the way by about 11:20. Grizzly was flabbergasted by the number of cars waiting to park. He kept saying how he had never seen it like this before. Well, when you are used to being a rope drop person, you don't usually see three full lanes of traffic waiting to park. But we parked, took a tram, then took a boat and were in the Magic Kingdom by 11:55. We had just enough time to ride the Speedway before lunch. Here is my Dad and I in our car. Can you tell we are related? My god, I'm going to look just like my Dad when I get old. Lovely! http://i.imgur.com/uYxFgor.jpg?1[IMG]
My mom rode with Tigger, and as you can see Grizzly was behind us. Tigger was ecstatic that he won the race. Nana loved the ride with him. She told Tigger all about how it used to be our favorite ride, so I'm glad she remembers that ride as fondly as I do. The FP+ for the Speedway worked awesomely as well. We had just enough time to ride the TTA before lunch. Lunch we headed over to the Crystal Palace. We made it across the parade route with about 30 seconds to spare. My mom has some AMAZING pictures of the characters on her new ultra awesome Canon that she got for Christmas. I'll have to figure out how to get them from her before she runs off to Ghana. So after a yummy lunch (be sure to try the pumpkin bread bread pudding) we went outside to wait for Grizzly to return with the stroller. Well, WE MET THE MAYOR!!!!! I was so excited! [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mNddSbr.jpg?1 And here is a cute picture of Grizzly and Tigger while we were waiting for lunch. Oh and we arrived 3 minutes late for lunch and were seated just after the parade finished (we watched the whole parade).
alqypR9.jpg
Remind me to tell you about my planned cell phone intervention for my father for tomorrow. That should be fun. I have a whole post brewing about that, but right now I have to go wake up my beast so we can go see the Osborne Lights.

I've been watching and eagerly awaiting your arrival in this horrible weather. I'm so glad you made it to Florida. And your parents! That must have been so stressful for all of you with the terrible weather and all the flight cancellations. What a relief for you. Wish I was there. It is minus 37C here this morning with a windchill that makes it feel like it is minus 51C. Needless to say I am not going outside.

I enjoy reading your trip reports and am looking forward to this one. Thanks for taking us along on your trip. Sounds like the Magic Bands are working great for you.:thumbsup2

Have fun.

Norah

Oh my gosh, a fellow Diser recognized my family in the Soarin line this morning!! She saw Grizzly's ultimate touring plan shirt he was wearing, and said "hey Disneyregulars!". I'm famous! So hi fellow Diser with the cute frozen t shirt on. Hi!

Trip is going great so far. Minus the date night from hell last night, but even that was more of a comedy of errors than anything else. Can't wait to give you guys a full update when I manage to stay awake through nap time to write it. We are so exhausted this trip, seems we are asleep every minute we're in the room.

We returned from WDW the day you arrived (12/26-1/3) and I am enjoying your report so far! We can not believe our luck that we made it home, considering we were flying on Airtran into Midway (Chicago) and many other flights that day had been canceled!

I had skimmed through your previous report about magic bands, and you made it sound easy! It really was pretty awesome using FP+ because (since we are NOT early risers, esp. on vacation) this trip was **our first-ever time on TSMM**!! It's only been open for like 5 years, and because of FP+ we finally got to do it!! Also, there were many changes we made along the way, even the morning of, with our FP's during what is a very busy time.

Looking forward to reading along!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter