To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

My hip is now screaming at me. I did the run this morning and hit intervals but it's time for rest. So I am planning on skipping Thursday run. Originally I was going to move Saturday run to Friday because I have to work this weekend. My thought now is to rest until Sunday. Sunday I am supposed to do 10 miles but assuming that is a bad idea. Do I do 6? That was in my head, assuming I feel better on Sunday and can run. Thoughts? I don't want to skip Thursday and Friday but I really think I need to or I won't make it till oct 28. Unfortunately I do know my body and I am not sure if 4 days off is enough but I have to start there.

My hip is now screaming at me. I did the run this morning and hit intervals but it's time for rest. So I am planning on skipping Thursday run. Originally I was going to move Saturday run to Friday because I have to work this weekend. My thought now is to rest until Sunday. Sunday I am supposed to do 10 miles but assuming that is a bad idea. Do I do 6? That was in my head, assuming I feel better on Sunday and can run. Thoughts? I don't want to skip Thursday and Friday but I really think I need to or I won't make it till oct 28. Unfortunately I do know my body and I am not sure if 4 days off is enough but I have to start there.

Listen to your body and take the time you need. Think big picture. Yes, I'd recommend cutting that Sunday run down to 60 minutes. Hope you feel better!

View attachment 272696

This is pharmacodynamic and dose response data based on a single dose of Beet Root Juice. As time post dose progresses you can see more and more of NO3 or NO2 found in the blood. Then it trails off after reaching the peak. This is a normal dose response and pharmacodynamic curve.

screen-shot-2017-06-03-at-10-09-25-am-png.241812

screen-shot-2017-06-03-at-10-09-35-am-png.241811

screen-shot-2017-06-03-at-10-11-47-am-png.241813

So this data shows that the timing of the dose matters as far as nitric oxide concentration goes (only this specifically as other gains like blood pressure and mitochondrial changes very well can be a cumulative effect). It shows that the peak of the beet root juice and cardiovascular/VO2max improvements occurs around 2.5-4 hours. If you take it as a night time dose and run in the morning (~12 hrs later), then there will be a small gain over water, but not much. The 24 hr timepoint shows that unless the dose is really high the effects of nitric oxide wear off after 24 hrs. That's where my dose lives is in the higher range. Which means after 24 hrs a small residual is left over. As each successive day passes, there will be more and more residual remaining. Now this is a presumption based off a single does. To confirm we would need a baseline value from a single dose (like above) and then a second pharmacodynamic curve after 6 doses (not done by this paper). That should show the "0" as higher than the baseline "0". In the end, my belief is that there is a certain threshold based on an individual's characteristics that must be passed in order to elicit the benefits. The unknown is where is each person's threshold. But since no negative effects were seen at the higher dosage for 6 days, then I might as well go for that under the assumption my necessary threshold will be below that level. The accumulation will help increase the overall dose load over time.

I'm not seeing the images you inserted just '
screen-shot-2017-06-03-at-10-11-47-am-png.241813
' for each one

Your explanation is good though so I think I get it anyway! It's really interesting that it's possible to build a base and that you could hold a residual amount from as far out as now.

Weather Watch

START - Grafton, WI at 7:30am

9/22 - T+D of 94, no clouds, and 5 mph tailwind (as of 8:45am this dropped to 90). Accuweather actually has it as T+D of no higher than 80 (at the start) and increasing clouds.
9/23 - T+D of 88, partly sunny, 5mph tailwind. Accuweather has the T+D no higher than 82 at the start.
9/24 - T+D of 89, sunny, and 4mph wind. Accuweather has the T+D no higher than 82.
9/25 - T+D of 93, sunny, and 2 mph wind. Accuweather has the T+D no higher than 90 at the start.
9/26 - T+D of 95, no clouds, 3 mph wind. Accuweather has the T+D no higher than 90 at the start.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 6.30.54 AM.png

9/27 - T+D of 96, no clouds, 5 mph wind

FINISH - Milwaukee, WI at ~10:30am

9/22 - T+D of 108, no clouds, 11 mph tailwind (as of 8:45am this dropped to 103).
9/23 - T+D of 103, partly sunny, 8 mph tailwind

9/24 - T+D of 106, partly sunny, 6mph wind
9/25 - T+D of 109, sunny, 7 mph headwind
9/26 - T+D of 109, no clouds, 8 mph headwind

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 6.31.30 AM.png

9/27 - T+D of 114, sunny, 12 mph headwind

@pixarmom Noon weather

9/23 - T+D of 106, partly sunny, 10 mph headwind
9/24 - T+D of 110, partly sunny, 8mph headwind
9/25 - T+D of 112, sunny, 12 mph headwind
9/26 - T+D of 115, no clouds, 12 mph headwind
9/27 - T+D of 115, sunny, 14 mph headwind

Fun fact #4: Beastly Kingdom was set to be a major part of Animal Kingdom, but never was. The section was to feature realms surrounding "good" and "evil" creatures. The good realm would have been home to an attraction called Quest of the Unicorn, which would have been a mythological maze leading to the grotto where the unicorn lived. On the evil side would be an attraction called Dragon's Tower ruled by a greedy fire-breathing dragon that housed a treasure in the tower's chamber. Interestingly Universal opened up a Dueling Dragons coaster and Flight of the Unicorn ride before Disney broke ground on their kingdom. Common belief is someone took that idea from the Disney team over to Universal and pretty much squashed all desire for Disney to go forward with their plan.

Fun fact #4: Beastly Kingdom was set to be a major part of Animal Kingdom, but never was. The section was to feature realms surrounding "good" and "evil" creatures. The good realm would have been home to an attraction called Quest of the Unicorn, which would have been a mythological maze leading to the grotto where the unicorn lived. On the evil side would be an attraction called Dragon's Tower ruled by a greedy fire-breathing dragon that housed a treasure in the tower's chamber. Interestingly Universal opened up a Dueling Dragons coaster and Flight of the Unicorn ride before Disney broke ground on their kingdom. Common belief is someone took that idea from the Disney team over to Universal and pretty much squashed all desire for Disney to go forward with their plan.

That sounds like it would have been freaking awesome!

That sounds like it would have been freaking awesome!

There's still a dragon rock from when they started building it. They had it as part of the boat ride that was on opening day but guests didn't like all the roasted dead knights they had decorated around this guy.
upload_2017-9-27_12-52-5.jpeg

I was obsessed with learning about this years ago. Wonder if he's still there since Pandora came in?

1.jpeg

6.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

Can I still guess? I am going to go with 3:01:13. No math involved, 13 is just my favorite number. Best of luck! You've got this!

Technically, no. But I make the rules and amended them to allow the late prediction. :D

Thanks!

2017 Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon – Training Summary

Below is a summary of the 2017 Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon training cycle.
Custom Training Plan and Nutrition Plan

97 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
Great week overall. Hit the marathon tempo pacing, kept easy days easy, and hit the long run pacing right on the nose! In fact, I'm not sure the pacing of the week could have gone much better. Off to a great start!
Total mileage = 51 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 17/18 (94%)

90 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
Tempo perfection! Predicting a 2:59-3:05.
Total mileage = 52.9 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 20/20 (100%)

83 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
CV Pacing and another successful Tempo run! Still predicting a 2:59-3:05.
Total mileage = 59.7 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 31/39 (79%)

76 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
First attempt at a Progression Run. Surprise, they’re harder than I thought! Also, a really bad Tempo run. Time to re-evaluate a few things. Predicting a 3:00-3:06.
Total mileage = 60.4 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 21/30 (70%)

69 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
Well timed step back week and the best Tempo run yet. Predicting a 3:00-3:05.
Total mileage = 51.7 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 21/24 (88%)

62 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
CV, another attempt at a Progression, and a fast finish long run! Vroom Vroom! Predicting a 2:59-3:04.
Total mileage = 60 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 33/35 (94%)

55 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
A very very solid tempo run. Predicting a 2:59-3:04.
Total mileage = 65.5 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 30/32 (94%)

48 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
A missed workout… A shifted hybrid tempo run that was perfect, but tough. And a Minnesota wedding! Predicting a 2:59-3:04.
Total mileage = 52.5 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 12/13 (92%)

41 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
PERFECTION! Predicting a 2:59-3:04.
Total mileage = 51.5 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 31/31 (100%)

34 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
Very stiff and sore throughout the week. Tried Beet Juice Shots for the first time. Ran a 19 miler! Predicting a 2:59-3:04.
Total mileage = 66.6 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 32/34 (94%)

27 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
Received a charley horse scare! Thankfully it passed and things returned to normal. Another perfect week! Predicting a 2:59-3:04.
Total mileage = 45.6 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 28/28 (100%)

20 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
The PEAK! A Max HM Tempo Interval, Max M Tempo, and Max Hybrid LR with 5 mile Fast Finish!. Predicting a 2:59-3:04.
Total mileage = 65.7 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 29/34 (85%)

13 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
Solid training week with the standard “bad” run that happens at the end of training. Predicting a 2:59-3:04.
Total mileage = 56.8 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 17/24 (71%)

6 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)
Well hello there heat wave. The end of the training cycle. Predicting a 2:59-3:04.
Total mileage = 51.4 + 27.4 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 5/6 (83%) + 6/6 (100%)

Prediction Contest

OVERALL SUMMARY
Total weeks – 15 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks – 13 weeks
Total scheduled mileage = 867.6 miles
Total mileage completed = 826.71 miles
% of scheduled mileage completed = 95%
Total scheduled duration =115:20:47 hours
Total duration completed = 113:06:36 hours
% of scheduled duration completed = 98%
# of intervals within range = 333/374
% of intervals within range = 89%
% weeks above 70% intervals hit = 15/15 (100%)
Average miles per week completed after recovery phase = 55.1 miles
Average duration per week completed after recovery phase = 7:32:26 hours
# of weeks over 8 hours training – 6/15 (40%)
# of weeks over 9 hours training – 1/15 (7%)
# of runs at 120 minutes – 4
# of runs over 120 minutes - 6
# of runs at 150 minutes (max duration) – 3
Week at which peak was hit – Week 12 and 15
Scheduled Marathon training pace – 6:58 min/mile
Average Marathon training pace in workouts – 7:02 min/mile

These were the goals on 1/19/17.

Goals
-Sub 3 Marathon.

Overall, this was one of the most successful, if not the most successful, training cycles I have ever had. The comparison to last year’s Lakefront training cycle isn’t even close. During last year’s training, I only had 1 week in the last 7 weeks of training with greater than a 70% interval hit rate. This training cycle was a perfect 15/15 weeks. In addition, last year was a 65% overall interval rate, and this year was 89%. I can’t complain. I did data mining to determine the optimal training plan for me and I executed that training plan as if it were perfect for me.

No pressure, or anything, but you've got to get under 3:01:37 to race in 2018. My guess is looking okay. :)

"Runners accepted into the 2018 edition had to be 3 minutes and 23 seconds under their age-group standards in order to toe the starting line next year."

No pressure, or anything, but you've got to get under 3:01:37 to race in 2018. My guess is looking okay. :)

"Runners accepted into the 2018 edition had to be 3 minutes and 23 seconds under their age-group standards in order to toe the starting line next year."

Yikes, that's a pretty big jump from the other years. Looks like 2019 has the same standards as before so game on Boston! My heart goes out to a friend on Strava (Timothy) who thought he was good to go, but found out today he was 12 seconds off... Ugh!

Yikes, that's a pretty big jump from the other years. Looks like 2019 has the same standards as before so game on Boston! My heart goes out to a friend on Strava (Timothy) who thought he was good to go, but found out today he was 12 seconds off... Ugh!

12 seconds? Ouch! You could drive yourself crazy thinking about losing a second here and there over grabbing water, dodging around someone, not hitting the corner on a tangent, etc.

12 seconds? Ouch! You could drive yourself crazy thinking about losing a second here and there over grabbing water, dodging around someone, not hitting the corner on a tangent, etc.

He seems to be in good spirits about it (at least publicly). I have no doubt he'll crush his next marathon by even more and leave no doubt.

Weather Watch

START - Grafton, WI at 7:30am

9/22 - T+D of 94, no clouds, and 5 mph tailwind (as of 8:45am this dropped to 90). Accuweather actually has it as T+D of no higher than 80 (at the start) and increasing clouds.
9/23 - T+D of 88, partly sunny, 5mph tailwind. Accuweather has the T+D no higher than 82 at the start.
9/24 - T+D of 89, sunny, and 4mph wind. Accuweather has the T+D no higher than 82.
9/25 - T+D of 93, sunny, and 2 mph wind. Accuweather has the T+D no higher than 90 at the start.
9/26 - T+D of 95, no clouds, 3 mph wind. Accuweather has the T+D no higher than 90 at the start.
9/27 - T+D of 96, no clouds, 5 mph wind

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 6.30.45 AM.png

9/28 - T+D of 95, 19% clouds, 5 mph wind. Accuweather has the T+D no higher than 90.

FINISH - Milwaukee, WI at ~10:30am

9/22 - T+D of 108, no clouds, 11 mph tailwind (as of 8:45am this dropped to 103).
9/23 - T+D of 103, partly sunny, 8 mph tailwind
9/24 - T+D of 106, partly sunny, 6mph wind
9/25 - T+D of 109, sunny, 7 mph headwind
9/26 - T+D of 109, no clouds, 8 mph headwind
9/27 - T+D of 114, sunny, 12 mph headwind

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 6.31.15 AM.png

9/28 - T+D of 113, 43% cloudy, 12 mph headwind

@pixarmom Noon weather

9/23 - T+D of 106, partly sunny, 10 mph headwind
9/24 - T+D of 110, partly sunny, 8mph headwind
9/25 - T+D of 112, sunny, 12 mph headwind
9/26 - T+D of 115, no clouds, 12 mph headwind
9/27 - T+D of 115, sunny, 14 mph headwind

9/28 - T+D of 114, 46% cloudy, 15 mph headwind

So how does the 3:23 margin affect your race strategy, if at all? I'm guessing you'll be aiming for sub-3, since finishing between 3-3:05 could still mean not getting accepted for Boston, even if it's a BQ. Might as well go for broke! Good luck!

So how does the 3:23 margin affect your race strategy, if at all? I'm guessing you'll be aiming for sub-3, since finishing between 3-3:05 could still mean not getting accepted for Boston, even if it's a BQ. Might as well go for broke! Good luck!

I've always felt that getting a BQ-5 min would be that comfortable spot where I'd feel relatively confident that I would be able to register. The fact that it was BQ-3:23 this year only confirms that feeling for me. Now as for what may or may not happen on Sunday, the goal remains to do the best I can that day. It remains to be seen what that will end up being. Thanks!

12 seconds!...I'd drive myself crazy too thinking about that. Hey but maybe when the preceding year's deduction is a small one, more people try to BQ and that drives the next years deduction to be bigger because it was more competitive and then it cycles? So maybe less people will be going for it this year? Is this a thing? Is this data that needs to be dissected?
:teacher:

I won't say that after my last race I started to wonder if I had skipped my porta potty stop if I'd have PR'd since it sorta derailed my momentum. And my husband said "I woulda just dumped water on me as I was going so no one would notice." And then I remembered that he is a triathlete (and yet I still do his race laundry :crazy2:.)

Fun fact #3: If you see a unicorn the best way to approach it is to walk slowly, look it straight in the eye and offer up a banana, a cold towel, and a free beer ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter