To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Just want to say that this is super impressive! Also, I would love some cool weather like that. I'm looking forward to fall and the temp cooling off enough that I don't have to convince myself that 85 degrees is totally reasonable for a long run!

I've got a deferral, so if I decide I don't HATE marathons after Little Rock, I'll be at Chicago in 2018! The only other deciding factor will be IM70.3 and the schedule for the end of next year, as I'd rather do one in the fall and do a relay this upcoming Spring.

I think it's a great idea to mix up you racing schedule for a year - there's nothing like going "back to the basics" to help you remember your goals and to help bolster that confidence going forward. Plus, think of all those podiums!

Let's hope 2018 is like 2012. Somewhere between 30 & 50 degrees with little wind and cloudy is perfect for me.

Agreed!

Just want to say that this is super impressive!

Thanks!

Also, I would love some cool weather like that.

Agreed! I can fly when it's cold.

I'm looking forward to fall and the temp cooling off enough that I don't have to convince myself that 85 degrees is totally reasonable for a long run!

So so true. Glad to be entering Fall, well we're all hoping it happens soon. I love those 30-50 temp runs.

I've got a deferral, so if I decide I don't HATE marathons after Little Rock, I'll be at Chicago in 2018!

:woohoo:

The only other deciding factor will be IM70.3 and the schedule for the end of next year, as I'd rather do one in the fall and do a relay this upcoming Spring.

Chicago! Chicago! Chicago!

I think it's a great idea to mix up you racing schedule for a year - there's nothing like going "back to the basics" to help you remember your goals and to help bolster that confidence going forward. Plus, think of all those podiums!

Agreed! I think I want to prove to myself that I can actually maintain sub-3 pace for at least a half marathon. Plus, it'll be fun to be in competition for the podium. It'll have been 3.5 years since I have run a solo HM because I've been so focused elsewhere. So it'll definitely be fun to get back into them for a season.

Your new race schedule looks good! Good luck! I'm glad you're picking Chicago as your next BQ attempt, and of course in typical DB fashion, you've already looked at the weather data! Impressive! I think that if (and that's a big if) the weather cooperates, it can definitely be a fast course, and they've got 3:00, 3:05, and 3:10 pacers available to assist you. It's interesting that they changed the qualifier standards for 2018 - I had not known that! You'll likely get A or B corral with your qualifying time (I was in B but sneaked into C right after the gun went off), and while those corrals are smaller, you'll still have some crowding issues, but just for the first 3-4 miles. After that, you should be fine. Organizational support is excellent and the random weather is the only real negative about the race.

As for hotel recommendations, we got an AirBnB out in Bridgeport, which was charming and inexpensive, at least compared to all the hotel options. That may or may not work for you, depending on your needs. We used CTA exclusively to get around, and it was fine. Chicago's a cool city and your whole family should enjoy the Aquarium. Can't wait to see how the race goes for you! Definitely hoping the temps are cool and you crush it!

I've got some hotel suggestions, etc! They are all very close to either the race or the expo. I'll work something up to send to you. We've been known to stay single nights before many races that start in the same area. And I used to live where you could see the Shedd/museum campus/finish line area out my window. Luckily the race start/finish is smack dab where a lot of "Family friendly" tourist stuff is located.

Do you have any musts for hotel? Swimming Pool?, does room size matter? (the cool older hotels tend to have smaller rooms but are closest to the race and more classic ornate vs new/trendy), any other things you would think are a must?

Your new race schedule looks good!

Thanks!

you've already looked at the weather data!

::yes::

It can play such a big role in marathon performance so it's one of the first things I look for in making marathon choices.

I think that if (and that's a big if) the weather cooperates

Looks like 50% of the time is good weather, 25% of the time is spectacular weather, and 25% of the time is non-ideal PR weather. So hoping the odds are in my favor next year.

Do you have any musts for hotel? Swimming Pool?, does room size matter? (the cool older hotels tend to have smaller rooms but are closest to the race and more classic ornate vs new/trendy), any other things you would think are a must?

#1 Safe
#2 Walking distance to the race start/finish/Aquarium
#3 Hotel has parking

Swimming pool would be a bonus. Room size matters nothing to me as long as the bed is nice and room is clean.

Hilton Chicago 720 Michigan Ave (note: not the mag mile one, that's a bit farther away)
Palmer House Hilton
The Rennaisance on W Wacker Dr.
Fairmont Chicago on Columbus Dr.
Swissotel Chicago on E Upper Wacker
Sheraton on E. North Water St.

You may want to map them and check out their websites to see what fits you best, but I can rec. any of the above. The Hilton and Palmer probably are a bit more "classic Chicago" in that they are very ornate lobbies and a lot of history. The Hilton is really really close to where you want to be. NOTE: The Palmer has very small rooms. The brownie was invented at the Palmer house #funfact. The next three are more modern I would say. But as far as distance go, you are super close to Millenium Park and the Museum campus and the corrals/start line, etc. And walking distance to the lake shore running trail for any shakeout runs (maybe we can do a dis-meet on the trail for anyone in town longer than just the night before.) The last one is a really nice hotel that is still close, but you'll just have to cross over the river (so maybe more walking.)

Parking is gonna be expensive. The hotels have garages and they will charge daily. Best to add $50 per day into your budget just ahead of time. And then start looking for some parking deals just in case but still have ~$50 in mind. But other than the expo you may not need your car at all once you get to your hotel if you stay this close.

The Expo is usually in McCormick Place which is a very short drive (or honestly, just uber it or take a divvy bike or have someone pick y'all up (me) but I wouldn't walk to the expo.) There are a few nice hotels attached to the expo site but I'd suggest staying closer to the stuff you want to visit so that's why I rec the above ones.

Hope that helps at least a tiny bit.

Hilton Chicago 720 Michigan Ave (note: not the mag mile one, that's a bit farther away)
Palmer House Hilton
The Rennaisance on W Wacker Dr.
Fairmont Chicago on Columbus Dr.
Swissotel Chicago on E Upper Wacker
Sheraton on E. North Water St.

Thanks so much! Steph said she wanted to nail down a hotel room now if we're doing this. So best to get started.

And walking distance to the lake shore running trail for any shakeout runs (maybe we can do a dis-meet on the trail for anyone in town longer than just the night before.)

That's another great idea!

Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

:D

Parking is gonna be expensive. The hotels have garages and they will charge daily. Best to add $50 per day into your budget just ahead of time. And then start looking for some parking deals just in case but still have ~$50 in mind. But other than the expo you may not need your car at all once you get to your hotel if you stay this close.

Thanks for the heads-up.

The Expo is usually in McCormick Place which is a very short drive (or honestly, just uber it or take a divvy bike or have someone pick y'all up (me) but I wouldn't walk to the expo.) There are a few nice hotels attached to the expo site but I'd suggest staying closer to the stuff you want to visit so that's why I rec the above ones.

Yea, definitely not walking distance. G can barely make it 0.4 miles walking to the local park without some complaints.

Hope that helps at least a tiny bit.

It helps tremendously. :thanks:

There are fun water taxis (that are free) that can take you from the Shedd area to Navy Pier if the weather is nice enough, then that's always a lifesaver when little feet are getting tired and it acts like another fun thing to do. Just another idea (I will innundate you with ideas if you let me.)

I was checking out hotels last night. I am planning Hilton as it allows pets. I am so thankful for that. Did not expect to get that lucky that a hotel near the start would allow dogs. I am thinking I need to book it now and yes parking was expensive $61 a night for self park!

There are fun water taxis (that are free) that can take you from the Shedd area to Navy Pier if the weather is nice enough, then that's always a lifesaver when little feet are getting tired and it acts like another fun thing to do. Just another idea (I will innundate you with ideas if you let me.)

Can't do water unfortunately. I get sea sick quite easily.

I was checking out hotels last night. I am planning Hilton as it allows pets. I am so thankful for that. Did not expect to get that lucky that a hotel near the start would allow dogs. I am thinking I need to book it now and yes parking was expensive $61 a night for self park!

Nice! And then the parking fee is not quite so nice....

I must be ahead of the game because of all the hotels @roxymama listed only Sheraton will give me a price quote. All the others have those dates blacked out at the moment (available to choose but show no availability). Might have to call them because they're all "booked" on hotels.com as well.

I must be ahead of the game because of all the hotels @roxymama listed only Sheraton will give me a price quote. All the others have those dates blacked out at the moment (available to choose but show no availability). Might have to call them because they're all "booked" on hotels.com as well.

Yeah, I've never booked a room for marathon weekend so maybe some of the vets can weigh in. I'll wish you much luck!

Love the look of your new race schedule, and love that you decided to put Chicago in that very important spot!!

I'm saving these hotel options for the (hopefully near?!) future, thanks @roxymama!

I am hoping it’s just too soon to book the Hilton. Looks like reservations are going through end of sep 2018. I am watching it like a hawk though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter