• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

@bovie, just wanted to say that this is very true!! I was initially nervous to come out of lurker status and to ask the Badger a few questions, but I have learned that I should have just contacted him sooner!!

:lmao:

222 messages since March 2017.... just saying... :D (BTW, keep them coming!)

Thank you so much! I've been reading for well over a year, but for some reason I was super shy about posting.

:thanks:

Aww man, well hopefully you become a regular poster. Still got 8 more to go!

I will also say that I'm amazed that you'd even consider running a race of 26 one mile loops.

Yea, I'm a bit crazy! :crazy:

Honestly, it's because I do 3 mile loops EVERY DAY for like 8500 miles. So it really doesn't bother me. Although I concede the crown of receptiveness to @cburnett11!

Really it wasn't the 26 laps that concerned me. It was that it was a sidewalk/bike path and the capacity cap on the race is 300ish people. With so many varying paces on a one mile loop it might become a bit congested to try and maintain pace throughout the race.

it's still better than the treadmill!

I try to do anything to stay off the treadmill. It's been years since I've been on one for much at all.

Join in on The Running Thread too. Everybody in this forum is really helpful and encouraging!

Completely agree! This is a very strong and positive community. And we all aim to keep it that way. We're all here to help each other in any way we can.

I use the treadmill if I'm forced to run after dark or if it's dangerously hot... like 90+. I try to do some sort of speed work if I'm forced to the treadmill just to keep it from being boring.

Thanks! And best of luck to your Huskers! Hoping to come out with a W, but I'm not entirely confident. The FPI predicts an 88% chance of victory, but I'd put it much closer to 60/40. Road night games are never easy and especially at Nebraska in a Black-out.

Good game! DH went to the game and said despite the outcome, the atmosphere was really fun. Losses don’t hurt *quite* as bad as they used to (which is a problem in it of itself), so I’m still able to enjoy watching the Chicago Marathon this morning.
I think the Bargers should have the West locked up- good luck the rest of the season!

Good game! DH went to the game and said despite the outcome, the atmosphere was really fun. Losses don’t hurt *quite* as bad as they used to (which is a problem in it of itself), so I’m still able to enjoy watching the Chicago Marathon this morning.
I think the Bargers should have the West locked up- good luck the rest of the season!

I watched Chicago this morning too! I've never really watched running on TV before. Those folks are crazy fast.

I use the treadmill if I'm forced to run after dark or if it's dangerously hot... like 90+. I try to do some sort of speed work if I'm forced to the treadmill just to keep it from being boring.

That sounds like a good plan!

...a few ?s...or several hundred ?s...oh dear... :oops:
I'm sticking with: "The only stupid question, is the one not asked..." :D

Don't worry, you don't even hold the crown. Someone else has 362 messages since one year ago. :D

Oh gosh, am I slacking in the question asking department? Does asking you if I'm asking enough questions count towards my question asking total?

:scratchin :teacher:

I think it counts. You tend to start new PMs and ask in the journal so much harder to track those.

Thanks! It was certainly exciting! I think I read prior to the Nebraska game that winning it would give the Badgers a 99% chance to win the west if they won. So just need to take of business from here.

The Chicago Marathon was fun to watch. My wife looked at me this morning while we were watching and said to me, "So, you're running this next year." It wasn't a question but a statement. Sounds eerily familiar after reading @roxymama 's journal a few moments ago.

I watched Chicago this morning too! I've never really watched running on TV before. Those folks are crazy fast.

Like crazy crazy fast. I can't even maintain their pace for much more than 200-400m. That's NUTS!

Same here. I don't know anyone who didn't want to get in who tried.

Yeah I'm 2 for 2 on Chicago entries. I'm not personally aware of anyone that applied and didn't get in.

Honestly, it's because I do 3 mile loops EVERY DAY for like 8500 miles. So it really doesn't bother me. Although I concede the crown of receptiveness to @cburnett11!

That loop I run too often is officially named the egglawn loop. Several of my local runner friends refer to it as the craiglawn loop. I guess I can't really refute that label.

I wonder if there's a prize for most questions asked. A giant fritter perhaps?

I'm all for encouraging more questions, but based on the response to the pictures of the apple fritter I'd be inundated with questions every second if that were the prize. :P

That loop I run too often is officially named the egglawn loop. Several of my local runner friends refer to it as the craiglawn loop. I guess I can't really refute that label.

Nice! 8-)

Upcoming Racing Schedule

Well the 2017 Lakefront Marathon obviously threw a wrench into my plans going forward. I was all set on that being the race for the BQ and moving forward with a schedule from there. But alas, it was not to be. I did some soul searching to decide what's on tap next with the upcoming training seasons. Would I chase the BQ in a spring marathon or postpone until Fall 2018 and instead focus on another distance? I spent a lot of time researching Spring marathons. My goal was to find something drivable and cold. But that yielded some less than desirable options. I then opened it up to cheap place to fly from Madison/Milwaukee and still cold. It definitely broadened my horizons, but it was still difficult to find something I really wanted to commit to. The best choice I could come up with was the Ann Arbor Marathon in Michigan in late March. But I just decided to go ahead and move forward with my original plan for Spring 2018 - Half Marathon training.

It's been since December 2015 since I have run a HM not part of the Dopey Challenge. So, it's been too long. The half marathon is a great racing distance because it's a comfortable pace (relatively speaking) and still allows you to race multiple times in a season potentially. So, I'm excited to see what I can do with some good HM training (which will look quite similar to this past Spring's Daniels 10k training) with a HM as the goal race instead of as a tester during marathon training.

3/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle 10k (Madison, WI)
Winner - 32:46
Top AG - 37:31

This should be a nice and cold race. Winning and AG is likely out of the question, but I'm wondering what it would be like to race a shorter distance race in the cold of WI winter. It's also relatively cheap at $25.

4/1/18 - First Call HM (Oconomowoc, WI)
Winner - 1:20:54
Top AG - 1:28:58

I've run this course twice prior and really like it. It's an out and back and fairly flat the whole time. This is the same course at which I set my current PR of 1:38 for the HM officially in December 2015. I could potentially challenge for 1st in my AG here. I'm hoping to give "A" effort on this one.

4/8/18 - Parkinsons's HM (Cottage Grove, WI)
Winner - 1:25:26
Top AG - 1:31:04

This is my local HM. It's been a few years since I've run it (Spring 2013 and 2015) because I've always been marathon training for a May race. So since I'm not, I figured I'd give it a go. It's not flat like First Call and on a crushed limestone bike path. So I'm anticipating that with equal weather this will be slower than First Call.

5/12/18 - Kings and Queens HM (Pewaukee, WI)
Winner - 1:23:42
Top AG - 1:47:02

Originally, I wanted to do the Madison Spring HM. But we're taking another trip to Disney World with Steph's family in late May. We'd arrive home the day before the race, but I felt it was best not to schedule that closely and just to enjoy the time in Florida. So, I've got this one lined up instead. It's done by a race group I've not raced with yet, but I've heard great things. So I'm excited to see what they've got.

6/16/18 - Hot2Trot HM (Cottage Grove, WI)
Winner - nd
Top AG - nd

Look who is stepping up to the plate with a HM to offer now. It's not confirmed yet, but the Hot2Trot group is considering doing a HM this coming year. Since it's local, I'm in.

October 2018 - Chicago Marathon
Barring an unforeseen circumstance, I will be signing up for the Chicago Marathon. Steph and I want to make a week out of it in Chicago with lots of sightseeing with G. So it just feels right that this one is on the schedule. This will be my next BQ attempt. Originally, the plan was to run the Chicago Marathon as the last of the World Marathon Majors. The place at which I'd receive my 6-star medal in front of family and friends for wrapping up Phase 2 of the goals. But that plan has now changed. Instead of the last World Marathon Major. It will now be my first in an attempt to catapult me into Boston!

May 2019 - Eugene Marathon
As of right now, I'd like to run the Eugene Marathon in May 2019. It's been a Bucket List event for me because of finishing on the Hayward Field track. We'll see if this happens.

April 2020 - Boston Marathon
Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

So that's the plan at the moment. Obviously, things can change. But that's where I'm headed for the time being.

If it makes you feel better, I have pictures from exactly two years ago of running a 5k in Chicago wearing sweat type pants over my capris (pulled out of my trunk/how things have changed), and two layers of long sleeves because it was quite chilly. So there's still some hope for a cold marathon attempt. I'll start lighting prayer candles now.

Also, excited to see what you can do with a finish line at 13.1 instead of just the halfway point!

22282058_10155209102761645_1999307979149261949_n.png

https://www.chicagomarathon.com/participant-information/registration/

If it makes you feel better, I have pictures from exactly two years ago of running a 5k in Chicago wearing sweat type pants over my capris (pulled out of my trunk/how things have changed), and two layers of long sleeves because it was quite chilly. So there's still some hope for a cold marathon attempt. I'll start lighting prayer candles now.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/weather/stories/Chicago-Marathon-Weather-History-225256292.html

Marathon Conditions Through The Years

• October 11, 1998: A high of 69 degrees and a low of 48. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 4 mph. Sounds like it was a nice day.
  • October 24, 1999: A high of 51 degrees and a low of 30. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 8 mph.
  • October 22, 2000: Another lovely day that year with a high of 69 degrees and a low of 53. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 4 mph.
  • October 7, 2001: A high of 53 degrees and a low of 33. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 3 mph.
  • October 13, 2002: A high of 50 degrees and a low of 39. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 12 mph.
  • October 12, 2003: A high of 69 degrees and a low of 48. Finally some precipitation, but only around 0.01 inches of it. Average wind speed of 11 mph.
  • October 10, 2004: A high of 62 degrees and a low of 46. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 5 mph.
  • October 9, 2005: A high of 59 degrees and a low of 50. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 11 mph.
  • October 22, 2006: A high of 48 degrees and a low of 36. 0.12 inches of precipitation. Average wind speed of 11 mph.
  • October 7, 2007: A high of 88 degrees and a low of 71 (yikes). No precipitation. Average wind speed of 6 mph.
  • October 12, 2008: Runners had a little break in the heat, but not much. High of 86 degrees and a low of 63. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 5 mph.
  • October 11, 2009: A chilly year after a couple hot races, with a high of 45 and a low of 28. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 5 mph.
  • October 10, 2010: Back to the warm weather with a high of 84 degrees and a low of 59. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 3 mph.
  • October 9, 2011: A high of 80 degrees and a low of 57. No precipitation. Average wind speed of 3 mph.
  • October 7, 2012: A high of 51 degrees and a low of 38. No precipitation. An average wind speed of 7 mph.
  • 10/13/13- T+D 89-100, cloudy, 6-15 mph wind
  • 10/12/14- T+D 77-99, cloudy, 7-15 mph wind
  • 10/11/15- T+D 97-120, cloudy, 9-17 mph wind
  • 10/9/16- T+D 101-103, cloudy, 6-14 mph wind
  • 10/8/17- T+D 108-127, sunny, 3-5 mph wind
Source: Chicago Marathon: A History Lesson In Weather - NBC Chicago http://www.nbcchicago.com/weather/s...-Weather-History-225256292.html#ixzz4v3WLBhC9
Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

So, 20 years of weather data.

-5/20 had stellar marathon weather. (Red/Bold)
-11/20 had ideal marathon weather. (Bold)
-4/20 had ok marathon weather.
-5/20 had bad marathon weather.

Also, excited to see what you can do with a finish line at 13.1 instead of just the halfway point!

Me too!

Thanks for the info! Looks like it's coming up soon!

Looks like they changed the time qualifier rules:

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 6.58.34 PM.png

Upcoming Racing Schedule

Well the 2017 Lakefront Marathon obviously threw a wrench into my plans going forward. I was all set on that being the race for the BQ and moving forward with a schedule from there. But alas, it was not to be. I did some soul searching to decide what's on tap next with the upcoming training seasons. Would I chase the BQ in a spring marathon or postpone until Fall 2018 and instead focus on another distance? I spent a lot of time researching Spring marathons. My goal was to find something drivable and cold. But that yielded some less than desirable options. I then opened it up to cheap place to fly from Madison/Milwaukee and still cold. It definitely broadened my horizons, but it was still difficult to find something I really wanted to commit to. The best choice I could come up with was the Ann Arbor Marathon in Michigan in late March. But I just decided to go ahead and move forward with my original plan for Spring 2018 - Half Marathon training.

It's been since December 2015 since I have run a HM not part of the Dopey Challenge. So, it's been too long. The half marathon is a great racing distance because it's a comfortable pace (relatively speaking) and still allows you to race multiple times in a season potentially. So, I'm excited to see what I can do with some good HM training (which will look quite similar to this past Spring's Daniels 10k training) with a HM as the goal race instead of as a tester during marathon training.

3/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle 10k (Madison, WI)
Winner - 32:46
Top AG - 37:31

This should be a nice and cold race. Winning and AG is likely out of the question, but I'm wondering what it would be like to race a shorter distance race in the cold of WI winter. It's also relatively cheap at $25.

4/1/18 - First Call HM (Oconomowoc, WI)
Winner - 1:20:54
Top AG - 1:28:58

I've run this course twice prior and really like it. It's an out and back and fairly flat the whole time. This is the same course at which I set my current PR of 1:38 for the HM officially in December 2015. I could potentially challenge for 1st in my AG here. I'm hoping to give "A" effort on this one.

4/8/18 - Parkinsons's HM (Cottage Grove, WI)
Winner - 1:25:26
Top AG - 1:31:04

This is my local HM. It's been a few years since I've run it (Spring 2013 and 2015) because I've always been marathon training for a May race. So since I'm not, I figured I'd give it a go. It's not flat like First Call and on a crushed limestone bike path. So I'm anticipating that with equal weather this will be slower than First Call.

5/12/18 - Kings and Queens HM (Pewaukee, WI)
Winner - 1:23:42
Top AG - 1:47:02

Originally, I wanted to do the Madison Spring HM. But we're taking another trip to Disney World with Steph's family in late May. We'd arrive home the day before the race, but I felt it was best not to schedule that closely and just to enjoy the time in Florida. So, I've got this one lined up instead. It's done by a race group I've not raced with yet, but I've heard great things. So I'm excited to see what they've got.

6/16/18 - Hot2Trot HM (Cottage Grove, WI)
Winner - nd
Top AG - nd

Look who is stepping up to the plate with a HM to offer now. It's not confirmed yet, but the Hot2Trot group is considering doing a HM this coming year. Since it's local, I'm in.

October 2018 - Chicago Marathon
Barring an unforeseen circumstance, I will be signing up for the Chicago Marathon. Steph and I want to make a week out of it in Chicago with lots of sightseeing with G. So it just feels right that this one is on the schedule. This will be my next BQ attempt. Originally, the plan was to run the Chicago Marathon as the last of the World Marathon Majors. The place at which I'd receive my 6-star medal in front of family and friends for wrapping up Phase 2 of the goals. But that plan has now changed. Instead of the last World Marathon Major. It will now be my first in an attempt to catapult me into Boston!

May 2019 - Eugene Marathon
As of right now, I'd like to run the Eugene Marathon in May 2019. It's been a Bucket List event for me because of finishing on the Hayward Field track. We'll see if this happens.

April 2020 - Boston Marathon
Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

So that's the plan at the moment. Obviously, things can change. But that's where I'm headed for the time being.

This is so exciting!! First Call / Last Call / DoLittle is really one of my favorite courses ever. I know you are really familiar with it - you gave me advice last year when running Last Call and it was very helpful. I really enjoy the complete zen that results from that trail. Three races on that course in the past 10 months and I'll keep registering for more. Also, @mateojr has guest announced at the finished twice and he's been invited back, so you'll get a lot of enthusiasm over the microphone if he's there! He would be seriously excited to announce your finish! If you go to their FB page, you can see a video of him announcing Last Call - very funny.

And I LOVE Kings and Queens Half. Lighthouse Events is a fantastic operation - one of my favorites - I've raced everything from 5Ks to 10Ks to halfs to tris with them. Their winter run series is so fun, and great for age group awards. They always have chocolate milk. The owner is at the finish high-fiving. Really well organized and very friendly vibe. I ran into a guy with a shirt from one of their runs at the Disney 5K this year and he know them - says they're a great family. The K&Q Half course is super hilly, but so fun. (I kind of like hills.) I also like it because of my third place in age group last May! :)

All this talk of Chicago is making me consider it . . .

And yes, Boston has a great ring to it!!!

This is so exciting!! First Call / Last Call / DoLittle is really one of my favorite courses ever. I know you are really familiar with it - you gave me advice last year when running Last Call and it was very helpful. I really enjoy the complete zen that results from that trail. Three races on that course in the past 10 months and I'll keep registering for more. Also, @mateojr has guest announced at the finished twice and he's been invited back, so you'll get a lot of enthusiasm over the microphone if he's there! He would be seriously excited to announce your finish! If you go to their FB page, you can see a video of him announcing Last Call - very funny.

Oh man, that would just make my day if @mateojr was my MC. Couldn't find the video on FB of him though.

And I LOVE Kings and Queens Half. Lighthouse Events is a fantastic operation - one of my favorites - I've raced everything from 5Ks to 10Ks to halfs to tris with them. Their winter run series is so fun, and great for age group awards. They always have chocolate milk. The owner is at the finish high-fiving. Really well organized and very friendly vibe. I ran into a guy with a shirt from one of their runs at the Disney 5K this year and he know them - says they're a great family. The K&Q Half course is super hilly, but so fun. (I kind of like hills.) I also like it because of my third place in age group last May! :)

Great to hear another positive review about them. They seem to be in the business for good reasons and really care about their customer base. I don't mind hills too much (he says that now...).

All this talk of Chicago is making me consider it . . .

Do it.... do it..... do it.....

And yes, Boston has a great ring to it!!!

::yes::

Anyone got Chicago Marathon hotel recommendations? We're thinking Saturday, Sunday and Monday night stay with Monday/Tuesday as shopping and Aquarium.

@cburnett11 @roxymama @BikeFan @Wendy98

I think I am in for Chicago 2018. If I don't BQ at disney then I will probably target this race to BQ. Nothing like a race to get you excited when you are both sick and injured. At least I am getting a two for one while not running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter