Warning- daily safety and security room check

This is not at all true. Caesars (all of their hotels worldwide), Hilton, Marriott, MGM Resorts ALL have a similar policy. Everyone is trying to make Disney the bad guy in this. Many are doing it, and it's for guest safety.

I totally disagree with you on this. All hotels have a policy to where they are able to come into your room if need be, but no other hotel is conducting daily room checks or continuing into the room when guests are sleeping or half dressed or in the shower. The way that Disney is implementing and going about this policy is just asinine. They aren't even consistent on their implementation of this policy. Other hotels are a lot more polite in the way that they check up on a guest for whatever reason.

This is not at all true. Caesars (all of their hotels worldwide), Hilton, Marriott, MGM Resorts ALL have a similar policy. Everyone is trying to make Disney the bad guy in this. Many are doing it, and it's for guest safety.
I agree with this, and it very much IS happening at MGM resorts in Vegas. I think people are really missing the point in all this. The security checks are used as a deterrent. If someone wants to bring in something they know before hand this could happen. Again a deterrent. I love it. Just like TSA screening, check out whatever you want, I’m not hiding anything.

Someone stopped by gf to replace a shower curtain that we didn’t need or request. Otherwise just daily housekeeping. I have no ideA if they checked when we weren’t here.

I agree with this, and it very much IS happening at MGM resorts in Vegas. I think people are really missing the point in all this. The security checks are used as a deterrent. If someone wants to bring in something they know before hand this could happen. Again a deterrent. I love it. Just like TSA screening, check out whatever you want, I’m not hiding anything.

As someone else posted, it's the implementation and inconsistency of Disney's policy that are the major issues. I don't know of another resort that has implemented the policy in the manner Disney has, or had the wide array of inconsistency even within the same resort.

As someone else posted, it's the implementation and inconsistency of Disney's policy that are the major issues. I don't know of another resort that has implemented the policy in the manner Disney has, or had the wide array of inconsistency even within the same resort.
I agree, the inconsistency is always the problem. We live in a very different world now so it will take the public adjusting as well as Disney getting out a precise communication and way of handling this for sure.

I think it's just the way Disney is doing it. At Universal they have a sign at the front desk saying how they will check your room once a day. Disney has no such sign and many guests don't even know these checks are happening. And no one seems to be bothered by these checks at Universal, I don't know if less people go back for afternoon naps there, but we spent a lot of time in the room the last two times I went and never experienced anyone bothering us.

My husband has stayed at Hilton properties 62 nights so far this year and has never had a room check.

There's a major misconception going on here that I just want to point out.

Many people seem to be thinking of the room checks as another guest service that the resort provides, like housekeeping or bell services. You don't like the way it's been implemented, you want to tell the resort how to make it better, you want the resort to standardize it and tell you all about how it will happen and when and what they'll be doing in your room and what they're looking for, you want them to adjust it to your vacation needs. Which makes absolutely perfect sense if you're talking about, say, housekeeping.

The room checks are not a guest service. They're a security measure. Think of them in terms of the checks that take place as you enter a theme park. Like the room checks, Disney tells you that a check will be taking place (the bag check). But there's a lot happening as you enter the park that they don't tell you about. And they're not going to tell you about those measures, or tell you what/who they're looking for, or when they're doing it, and they're certainly not going to standardize and publish their methods, or change them to suit an individual guest's taste.

I don't have inside information, but IMO, the random way these checks are conducted is intentional. It's a feature, not a bug. If they become too predictable, they're more convenient for the guest, sure, but much less useful as a security measure. They're not convenient, they're not supposed to be convenient, they're never going to be convenient. That's kind of the point. The way the checks are happening is being dictated by the lawyers, insurers, or law enforcement agency that is compelling Disney to do them, and guests and resort staff are going to have very, very limited say in how they're conducted.

None of this will make you like the checks any better, and that's fine. But it might save some effort trying to get Disney to "fix" something that from their point of view, is working as they intended it to. That's time better spent deciding how, or if, this situation will change your vacation plans.

Many people seem to be thinking of the room checks as another guest service that the resort provides, like housekeeping or bell services. You don't like the way it's been implemented, you want to tell the resort how to make it better, you want the resort to standardize it and tell you all about how it will happen and when and what they'll be doing in your room and what they're looking for, you want them to adjust it to your vacation needs. Which makes absolutely perfect sense if you're talking about, say, housekeeping.

The room checks are not a guest service. They're a security measure. Think of them in terms of the checks that take place as you enter a theme park. Like the room checks, Disney tells you that a check will be taking place (the bag check). But there's a lot happening as you enter the park that they don't tell you about. And they're not going to tell you about those measures, or tell you what/who they're looking for, or when they're doing it, and they're certainly not going to standardize and publish their methods, or change them to suit an individual guest's taste.

I don't have inside information, but IMO, the random way these checks are conducted is intentional. It's a feature, not a bug. If they become too predictable, they're more convenient for the guest, sure, but much less useful as a security measure. They're not convenient, they're not supposed to be convenient, they're never going to be convenient. That's kind of the point. The way the checks are happening is being dictated by the lawyers, insurers, or law enforcement agency that is compelling Disney to do them, and guests and resort staff are going to have very, very limited say in how they're conducted.

None of this will make you like the checks any better, and that's fine. But it might save some effort trying to get Disney to "fix" something that from their point of view, is working as they intended it to. That's time better spent deciding how, or if, this situation will change your vacation plans.
I think they could figure out a way to make them less intrusive to guests while still being random. I think Magic Bands are tracked where you are, when I stayed at Bay Lake Tower the moment we left the room we got a text asking if we wanted housekeeping since we had the Do Not Disturb sign on (before the room checks started). If they know when someone is in the room or not they could do these checks when people leave the room. They could probably be more thorough when people aren't in the room and then they wouldn't be disturbing people who are napping. If someone doesn't leave the room at all that would seem more red flag to me and they could go conduct a check then. I just feel like Disney could go about doing these checks to be less intrusive while still being really effective.

Well unless like for me the way they are implementing these checks is enough to make me not go there at all. If enough people feel that way that it starts hurting their bottom line then yes things are going to change.

I think they could figure out a way to make them less intrusive to guests while still being random. I think Magic Bands are tracked where you are, when I stayed at Bay Lake Tower the moment we left the room we got a text asking if we wanted housekeeping since we had the Do Not Disturb sign on (before the room checks started). If they know when someone is in the room or not they could do these checks when people leave the room. They could probably be more thorough when people aren't in the room and then they wouldn't be disturbing people who are napping. If someone doesn't leave the room at all that would seem more red flag to me and they could go conduct a check then. I just feel like Disney could go about doing these checks to be less intrusive while still being really effective.

I suspect they know where we are and WHO we are, from the wealth of info that is mined about us and is connected to our MDE account. It’s not being used though because it’s cheaper to just have HK start at 8 ish and service the rooms to do a security check. As long as Disney can manage with the cheaper route, they will roll with it.

As others have said, they know who you are, where you are, where you were an hour ago, what you have tickets to, etc.

They need to utilize the info so as not to disrupt the guests as much as possible. I wouldn't go knocking on my neighbor's door at 8:30 am...because that would be rude. Many people nap mid day. If a sign is up, come back. If you come back a couple hours later and it is still up, knock. If no one answers, go inside. There is no need to disrupt guests to the extent that they are. It is implemented the way it is because it is the cheapest way to complete the task.

As others have said, they know who you are, where you are, where you were an hour ago, what you have tickets to, etc.

They need to utilize the info so as not to disrupt the guests as much as possible. I wouldn't go knocking on my neighbor's door at 8:30 am...because that would be rude. Many people nap mid day. If a sign is up, come back. If you come back a couple hours later and it is still up, knock. If no one answers, go inside. There is no need to disrupt guests to the extent that they are. It is implemented the way it is because it is the cheapest way to complete the task.

Bingo. Because if it was about anything more serious than ticking a box for Disney's own convenience and pocketbook, they would be hiring actual security to do proper checks. HK staff are not trained to complete this task.

Bingo. Because if it was about anything more serious than ticking a box for Disney's own convenience and pocketbook, they would be hiring actual security to do proper checks. HK staff are not trained to complete this task.
Exactly.

Our housekeeper walked in, eyes down, dragging a half full trash bag. He never looked up. He never spoke to us.

I could have had the Hope Diamond, Michelangelo's David and Van Gogh's Starry Night sitting on the bed with all of the weapons of the Big Red One. He wouldn't have noticed.

Exactly.

Our housekeeper walked in, eyes down, dragging a half full trash bag. He never looked up. He never spoke to us.

I could have had the Hope Diamond, Michelangelo's David and Van Gogh's Starry Night sitting on the bed with all of the weapons of the Big Red One. He wouldn't have noticed.

Makes one feel all warm and fuzzy and secure, right?

They aren't necessarily telling people, upon check in, that they are doing these checks. Most people are only finding out by coming here or reading an article or something. They aren't hearing it from the resort. That's an issue.

They aren't necessarily telling people, upon check in, that they are doing these checks. Most people are only finding out by coming here or reading an article or something. They aren't hearing it from the resort. That's an issue.

Didn't we have a post on second or third one of these posts that they are stating they are doing the checks on the doorhanger? Oh yeah and why is this the 4th post about this- especially since there is a sticky? All it is now is a vehicle for complaints and paranoia. The WDW company is not trolling the boards looking for advice on their security checks. Write a complaint. I don't understand why everytime there is a slink dog dash/F&W replicant post it's immediately fixed and removed -yet here we are.......

There’s a latch on the door that will prevent them from “just coming in” if you don’t answer quick enough. When in the room, I always have it on. I will let them in, but keep it on so that it doesn’t catch me off guard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter