• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are you buying on impulse?

What have you bought recently that was not necessarily financially savvy?

• Total voters
Crafting supplies.

Hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies. My kids are allegedly going back, at least part-time, starting next month. I'm worried that I won't be able to find hand sanitizer. I've also been making masks like nobody's business--see crafting supplies, above. Note: mask material isn't the ONLY crafty thing I'm buying. But. I've been alternating mask making with card making and Christmas ornament making.

Most things I am purchasing are items I would normally buy. The new additions I can think of are disposable face masks and hand sanitizer. I rarely ever purchased any type of mask, only if some project required one. Hand sanitizer was purchased only in small bottles for travel purposes.

The last impulse purchases I made were snack foods, cookies and pretzels that were on sale at the grocery store.

Hidden anxiety is coming out and I am buying pandemic supplies, everything that was not available for so long. I need to send my college girl back with supplies, and I also fear that once schools K-College start up again, we may have shutdowns and supplies will not be available again.

I now forbid myself to buy anymore hand sanitizer or masks for the family. I still want to buy a couple more cleaning sprays although I have not been able to find the one I have used for years--409 spray--since before the pandemic. I have not seen a canister of disinfectant wipes in months but I just found an unused one in the basement from last summer, I think. I will re-moisten.

I bought a few more boxes of whole wheat pasta. Just every grocery order, I intend to buy a few extra pantry goods or dry goods,--nothing major. I never was one to overbuy as I don't have a lot of storage space and it has never been my mentality. But anxiety and definitely being understocked this spring is changing me some. But I mean it--no more hand sanitizer or masks!
:rotfl2: The struggle is real.... I lied I guess, I'm doing the same.... I now have a lovely new stockroom that I'm slowly filling with non perishable items that we can use over the winter months. The worst that happens from doing this is we use it up anyway. (I'm cognizant of not taking every item on the shelf however,I leave some for others)
ETA.... with the exception of the disposable masks that is...I made plenty of cloth ones so I leave those for someone who needs them.

for me in recent weeks-dry goods. i've always been in the habit of buying a few months worth of certain ones we use regularly to take advantage of sales but when i went to restock some recently i'm not only not finding them on local grocery shelves i can't find them with my normal on-line box store retailers. i'm wondering if it's because some use spices and other ingredients that likely originate outside the u.s. so they've not been in production in recent months and stock in running out. i don't nesc. need to get a dozen boxes of each i'm looking for but i'm finding that unless i buy them in larger amounts i either can't find them or am faced with paying double the traditional non sales price.

A DVC Membership. We talked about it for several years on and off. We were at Disney during the pandemic close down in March and on the plane ride home I started researching resale DVC. The next day, with zero research really, I found a nice guy on facebook who so kindly offered his thoughts opinions on different contracts. I put 2 bids in without telling DH. I told him over lunch it was important to me and fate would decide if we got it b/c Disney has the ROFR. 1 month later our 200 point contract was approved. I am looking forward to going in 2021!

Since I was sad on the Disney front of my Adventures By Disney Boston trip being canclled, I bought a bed site unseen from Disney Hotel collection for my guest room. Due to my snoring dog, I am in there a fair bit! I LOVE this mattress.

So 2 impulse buys later, I am happy and rationalizing that since my gym, nail place are closed I am saving a couple of hundered a month so technically the mattress was free due to the savings!

Food. I'm so bored at home (working from home, currently) that I take every excuse to step out of the house and walk to the grocery store. I see a nice cake recipe online? Off I go! Do I want something different for dinner? Yep, putting my shoes on and I'm already on my way. Granted is very easy to do so, living in a huge city in Europe (no need for a car, very walk-friendly ways to go everywhere)...but I think I'm getting out of control o_O

Last edited:
Coloring books for adults. Digital books. And so many snack foods. Luckily the lack of going out to dinner has offset the snackie snacks. Haha.

I always keep a supply of all cleaning, sanitizing, and personal grooming items, but have found I now feel compelled to make sure also we have a supply of all otc medications we may need.

I am keeping my pantry better stocked with food and cleaning supplies in case of supply issues with a second wave in the Fall/Winter . Other than that .. nothing. I lost my income overnight when the shut down started. Its slowly building back up now, but we are just diligently saving for any future emergency. Who knows what lies ahead? I want to be prepared and just can’t bring myself to spend on consumer goods right now.
The good news is there will be extra money for travel etc when things improve.

Canned food.

I suppose it's a combination of two things -- COVID and our house flooding during Harvey in 2017 and it now being hurricane season. I found myself buying canned veggies and fruits and meats in April right when Texas went on lockdown from COVID. We've eaten almost none of the canned items since then. Anyway, I laid off the canned food purchases for a couple of months and now that it's hurricane season here in Texas I've found myself stocking up on canned soups and veggies and beans. A couple of days ago I even bought a new hand can opener :confused: and one of those electric to car lighter converters in case our electric goes out.

I'm not sure what is wrong with me as we don't even eat canned food items that much (with the exception of SOUP, which we love). I'm going to chalk it up to post traumatic stress syndrome from the hurricane AND current traumatic stress syndrome from the pandemic.

I feel like I am turning into my grandmother who was born in '34, on the tail end of the Great Depression) and was a hoarder of all necessary (and some unnecessary) things. :confused3 Thankfully canned food is my only impulse buying thang....

Aside from this, I promise that I'm completely normal!

I am not much of an impulse buyer when doing grocery shopping, but shopping for gifts!
I am on my way to a friend with a very demanding job, plus the inability to say no, she is overworked and stressed. I wanted to bring her something to cheer her up. It started with a new tea mug. And while shopping I thought, let's add some boxes of exotic tea. Then I remembered i had some unopened Disney facial masks at home. Then the idea of a collection of small relax-gifts entered my head. Then came the idea to add a pillow spray from Rituals. A puzzle. And then in the next store the sales lady was thinking along and in the end, I had bought about 10 gifts instead of just the tea mug I started with 😋

Canned food.

I suppose it's a combination of two things -- COVID and our house flooding during Harvey in 2017 and it now being hurricane season. I found myself buying canned veggies and fruits and meats in April right when Texas went on lockdown from COVID. We've eaten almost none of the canned items since then. Anyway, I laid off the canned food purchases for a couple of months and now that it's hurricane season here in Texas I've found myself stocking up on canned soups and veggies and beans. A couple of days ago I even bought a new hand can opener :confused: and one of those electric to car lighter converters in case our electric goes out.

I'm not sure what is wrong with me as we don't even eat canned food items that much (with the exception of SOUP, which we love). I'm going to chalk it up to post traumatic stress syndrome from the hurricane AND current traumatic stress syndrome from the pandemic.

I feel like I am turning into my grandmother who was born in '34, on the tail end of the Great Depression) and was a hoarder of all necessary (and some unnecessary) things. :confused3 Thankfully canned food is my only impulse buying thang....

Aside from this, I promise that I'm completely normal!
Haha i so understand this. I want things in my pantry to last but I think I went a little overboard with the canned beans. I could make Chili once a week for a year at this rate :rolleyes1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter