What are you buying on impulse?

What have you bought recently that was not necessarily financially savvy?

• Total voters
Canned food.

I suppose it's a combination of two things -- COVID and our house flooding during Harvey in 2017 and it now being hurricane season. I found myself buying canned veggies and fruits and meats in April right when Texas went on lockdown from COVID. We've eaten almost none of the canned items since then. Anyway, I laid off the canned food purchases for a couple of months and now that it's hurricane season here in Texas I've found myself stocking up on canned soups and veggies and beans. A couple of days ago I even bought a new hand can opener :confused: and one of those electric to car lighter converters in case our electric goes out.

I'm not sure what is wrong with me as we don't even eat canned food items that much (with the exception of SOUP, which we love). I'm going to chalk it up to post traumatic stress syndrome from the hurricane AND current traumatic stress syndrome from the pandemic.

I feel like I am turning into my grandmother who was born in '34, on the tail end of the Great Depression) and was a hoarder of all necessary (and some unnecessary) things. :confused3 Thankfully canned food is my only impulse buying thang....

Aside from this, I promise that I'm completely normal!

I get this. Not only am I somewhat guilty of this (I've worked on it in recent years), but my sister, the Queen of the Dented Cans, goes way overboard. I mean, the stuff is shelf-stable, but you really don't want to eat soup that was canned 10 years ago--it starts to separate.

What I suggest is, look at your canned goods before you go shopping. Really look at them. Feel free to make an inventory, and stick it on the inside of the pantry. It's to remind yourself that you already have 10 cans of corn and 12 of green beans--you won't eat that much in a year, you're okay. It doesn't matter if the store is giving away cans of corn or beans--you don't need them. Or, realistically assess what you might ever need. Donate the rest. If an irresistible sale comes up, buy, then donate.

I used to live rural, where you could easily be snowed in for a week or more (with a family of 6). Stocking up was standard. Now, I live within a mile of 3 grocery stores, 2 drug stores, and numerous restaurants. After Florence, we were without power for 4 days, and I still managed to shop at Walmart and send my kids (on foot) to the nearest store during that time. My point is, you'll be okay.

OTOH, we are also gathering stuff in preparation for hurricane season. Not so much food--we have plenty--but bottled water, baby wipes, batteries, etc.

What bag did you get? I’ve been impulse buying a lot of bags, scarves, shoes etc. it doesn’t help that things are slower so SAs reach out anytime something new comes in 🤦‍♀️
I ended up buying resale because we don't have stores in our state and I couldn't find anything that I wanted online. I bought a Hobo Bag but what I loved is that it has the soft, rose pink lining. It was actually more than original retail because there were only like three available anywhere online and I found one in great condition. Of course, now I want a wallet to match. But I am trying to make myself wait until we actually do go to Paris.

I ended up buying resale because we don't have stores in our state and I couldn't find anything that I wanted online. I bought a Hobo Bag but what I loved is that it has the soft, rose pink lining. It was actually more than original retail because there were only like three available anywhere online and I found one in great condition. Of course, now I want a wallet to match. But I am trying to make myself wait until we actually do go to Paris.

View attachment 512896

Congrats on your bag! The resale market can be more with limited styles/prints. I love the LV pink! It’s a slippery slope once you jump in 😂

Wear it in good health! Ftoo ftoo ftoo (lol Greek superstitions about compliments)

When Covid first hit and everything shut down my DH was going to the grocery store every day purchasing all kinds of crazy stuff. His eyes were bigger than his stomach. I guess he thought we were going to run out of food. Last month I told him we are going to eat out of the freezer for the month. Well that lasted about a week or two because I was SICK AND TIRED of cooking.

Since my Hawaii BIG 50th Bday vacation went up in Covid we drove to Pensacola beach on a whim! We had a fabulous time. A couple of days turned into 6 days. LOL!! We plan to move to FL after retirement so we chalked this trip to house hunting. LOL!!

And since I was still sulking over my birthday, I purchased me a new Dooney & Bourke purse. LOVE IT!! Got a great deal on it at I love Dooney. My first time purchasing from them and I'm satisfied with the purchase. The color is a little off from the picture online but it's a fabulous purse. I've been watching the price since that fabulous sale and the price still hasn't dropped that low.

I stocked up on summer dresses from New York and Company. They had an awesome dress sale back in June. I got some great throw on dresses you can dress up or down. You know ladies, you need something to throw on to grab some milk and eggs at the grocery store. Or you forgot about your friends bday party at the local bar. Yep these dresses fit the bill and more. Love them. I even got a black maxi dress that I paired with heals and pearls and wore to a graveside funeral.

My DH loves Sam's so we were already set with cleaning supplies pre-Covid. He stalks up on cleaning supplies when he sees them on sale. Our purchase today is a new shelving unit for our laundry room. He doesn't know it yet but we're headed to Lowe's when he gets home from work to pick it up. I'm tired of looking at a junky laundry room thanks to his bulk purchases of Clorox, tool boxes, Clorox wipes, Fabulousa, detergent, vinegar, lightbulbs, fabric softner, clothes baskets, etc all stacked up in the laundry room. I'm off today so I'm going to get my laundry room back in order. Daggumit!!!

My DH purchased a mountain bike. That he has road TWICE! :rotfl2: Funny story - When he first got the bike and got it together to take his first ride, he was all excited and pumped. He was like babe I'm going to ride my bike. I said OK. He was gone like 5 minutes. He came back in the house sweating like a hog and looking a mess. I was like babe what's wrong. He said I rode the bike to the corner and my body said nope you should go back home. So he said he turned around and came home. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry or what. He cracked a smile because he knew he was in over his head and I fell out laughing. He said babe don't tell anybody. :rotfl2::rotfl2: OMG! I'm cracking up just thinking about it.

He also purchased some adapter for his SUV so he could get a better speaker for his SUV. That stupid adapter cost $250. He wanted a new lawn edger. I kept asking him are you sure you just can't replace the part. We found the part at Lowes. The part cost $10. SMH!

So we both have made some silly and needed purchases. If covid doesn't end soon we might have some extra mouths to feed. My husband keeps seeing these commercials to adopt children. :oops::oops:🤪

You know ladies, you need something to throw on to grab some milk and eggs at the grocery store.

Oh dear, don't judge but I've NEVER thought to toss on a dress if I had to go grab milk or eggs! I guess I've been doing it wrong....figured as long as I wasn't wearing pajamas in public I was doing enough :rotfl2: I'm going to have to step up my milk & egg game!

Oh dear, don't judge but I've NEVER thought to toss on a dress if I had to go grab milk or eggs! I guess I've been doing it wrong....figured as long as I wasn't wearing pajamas in public I was doing enough :rotfl2: I'm going to have to step up my milk & egg game!

LOL!! These are just t-shirt dresses. Light and comfy. Nothing fancy. Add flip flops and I'm out the door.

Vacation home!!! Not really an impulse, as we have been saving and watching inventory for years. Without knowing when we will feel comfortable flying or cruising again, it feels so nice to have what feels like an exotic place we can drive to and from in a day. Guaranteed my kids will remember 2020 for the rest of their lives...making tasty lemonade out of lemons!
Woo exciting! Where did you buy? You must be thrilled!

Thankfully we have a pool, or that would have been on the top of the list. So, I’d have to say clothes (even though we don’t really go anywhere now, I am eternally hopeful that will change soon), organizing and decor items for our home, masks, cleaning supplies and pantry/stockpile items. I have more Clorox Wipes, bleach, and cleaning supplies than I’ve ever had before. I’m also stocked on toilet paper and paper towels. At the beginning of the shutdown, I was counting toilet paper rolls, etc., worrying that we were going to run out. The anxiety of that was enough for me. I’ve been buying a little at a time wherever and whenever I can order it. FedEx and UPS are our friends. Lol. I stocked up on hand sanitizer at the beginning, so good on that for now. Lysol is the only item that has eluded me. I have a few cans, but would love to have more. My parents are elderly, so I order items for them, too. But, I have enough so if they or we ever need it, we should be good.

I almost...ALMOST...bought points at Riviera on impulse. Then I calculated how much I would need to pay in annual dues, on top of my existing contracts, and put on the brakes.

So far, my biggest impulse buy was a couple of tank tops from Macys.com. I paid $12 apiece for them but they’re of a very good quality.

I almost...ALMOST...bought points at Riviera on impulse. Then I calculated how much I would need to pay in annual dues, on top of my existing contracts, and put on the brakes.

So far, my biggest impulse buy was a couple of tank tops from Macys.com. I paid $12 apiece for them but they’re of a very good quality.

At least you already have contracts. We don't have any. I also impulse bought my daughter some cotton princess dresses that haven't arrived yet. We sized up for a trip next year :)

we owned dvc contracts in the late 90's but sold them off in 2007. i remember how high the dues were back then-i don't want to think about how much they must run now:crazy:

Top Ramen noodles ... I have never eaten this item How did I survive college? Now I keep searching and trying different flavors and experiment with chopping vegetables, etc. First the reg Chicken Noodle, then I saw Roasted Chicken flavor =Like but not in supply anywhere so I bought other flavors and also that super easy ramen cooker to use in microwave, then discovered the chili flavor and the soy sauce flavor and the beef.
I love them all. Haven’t tried that shrimp something flavor tho.... anybody know if that is good too?
Thanks
Living in Florida I am starting to think about hurricane survival and toilet paper. I hope nobody breaks into my car and takes my Kierland Costco TP and towels.
Now I want to go make some Ramen noodles

i bought myself new sheets and i'm trying to hold off on buying a charcoal grill because i know we will probably only use it a few times a year. I almost bought books the other day and a chest freezer. For whatever reason I just want to spend money right now, it's terrible!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter