• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will you get the Covid vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an autoimmune reaction to the flu shot, so I'll be curious to find out what my doctor advises me to do.
Same here. My doctors won't give me a flu shot any more because my reactions kept increasing in weirdness and severity (to a half dose). So, after separate discussions with all of them about this new vaccine, they each advised me to wait until they can do some research to see if they think I'll be able to handle this one. They did advise DH to get it as soon as he's eligible (won't be for a while) so that he can protect himself and me. This is what we do with the flu shot every year, too.

Yes!

Even if some minor to moderate side effect pops up, which I seriously doubt, it can’t be worse than lying on a hospital bed with a ventilator waiting to die and unable to see your family. There are people who got sick early on who are still suffering serious long term effects. I don’t want that! I’m in group 1b and I’ll get the vaccine the nanosecond they tell me it’s my turn.

Then I guess it's a good thing there are so many people willing to provide this guinea pig service for you.
Yup. Go for it!

Have we heard whether this will be an annual vaccination?

And, if it is true that even those vaccinated can become carriers and expose others to covid, I think masks/social distancing will be around for quite a while. Or those who don't want to continue masking "don't care about others".

This is my experience too. Majority of my friends are very pro vaxx, but are very hesitant to get this vaccine. I only have 1 friend who is very eager to get it if her doctors approve it for her. The rest have a similar way of thinking to me. Wait a few years, then see.
my friends SIL is a nurse and very pro vaxx and refuses to get it for herself or family initially. That told me enough for sure.

Yup. Go for it!

And, if it is true that even those vaccinated can become carriers and expose others to covid, I think masks/social distancing will be around for quite a while. Or those who don't want to continue masking "don't care about others".

Eh, at some point those who won't vaccinate (by choice) will be the ones who "don't care about others".
Watch.

If most get vaccinated, the worry that some have about still being able to expose others even if vaccinated will pretty much be null and void. Because we'll all be vaccinated. ;)

Yup. Go for it!

I guess I just don't see it needing to be an annual vaccination as a deal breaker. What's the big deal?

And once you have a tool available to you to protect yourself, I think the ones who choose not to take it are the ones who don't care about others. That moral high ground will shift substantially.

I really don't get it. Covid is a known danger. Apparently dangerous enough to shut down society for longer than 9 months. Dangerous enough to strip people of their jobs, their businesses, their health insurance. Yet it's not dangerous enough to warrant taking a vaccine that has been shown to be safe in studies? Sure there could be some unknown risk down the road. But there could be some unknown risk with Covid as well.

It's a position of immense privilege to sit in your home untouched by the economic devastation of this and not be willing to take a step needed to get society open and operating again.

Last edited:
I guess I just don't see it needing to be an annual vaccination as a deal breaker. What's the big deal?

And once you have a tool available to you to protect yourself, I think the ones who choose not to take it are the ones who don't care about others.

I really don't get it. Covid is a known danger. Apparently dangerous to shut down society for longer than 9 months. Dangerous enough to strip people of their jobs, their businesses, their health insurance. Yet it's not dangerous enough to warrant taking a vaccine that has been shown to be safe in studies? Sure there could be some unknown risk down the road. But there could be some unknown risk with Covid as well.

It's a position of immense privilege to sit in your home untouched by the economic devastation of this and not be willing to take a step needed to get society open and operating again.

:thumbsup2

I really don't get it. Covid is a known danger. Apparently dangerous to shut down society for longer than 9 months. Dangerous enough to strip people of their jobs, their businesses, their health insurance. Yet it's not dangerous enough to warrant taking a vaccine that has been shown to be safe in studies? Sure there could be some unknown risk down the road. But there could be some unknown risk with Covid as well.

Quoting as this is the best post I have seen regarding the vaccine situation :grouphug:

I am 63 and have type 2 diabetes. Latest estimate is end of July before a vaccine for my risk group. So I have a lot of time to think about it. I did get a swine flu vaccine in 1976 when that mass vaccine effort was underway. I was 19 at the time, living at home with my mom who was a nurse and she was required to get it, and anyone living in a nurses household was recommended to get it.

I just don't know yet....and I have quite a while to decide since I'm not one of the first groups anyway. There are a lot of things to consider IMHO. My best guess (prediction) is that there will come a point when it will become mandatory to have this to travel,etc. My concerns are many-
number 1, our previous history with vaccine efficacy,and side effects to a pretty big segment of the population. (yes,anectodal) Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me.
number 2, I REALLY fear the haphazard use of the vax,(say, people get 1st dose,and neglect to get the 2nd) or possibly still being a carrier even after full vax etc..... yet assuming b/c they got a dose,they're "good to go" and no longer need to take precautions at all around others....(not sure yet of the answers to this) And since this past year has been a quite a window into how people have chosen to keep themselves and others "safe"....I also lack confidence in the population at large to make these decisions wisely,thus creating another problem.
number 3, while I appreciate the study and science behind the creation of any vaccines so far, they are rushed. There is no other way to say this,they are very rushed. (again,not arguing WHY they are,b/c I get it....) This rush,will undoubtedly create a situation (at least for some of us) that is also dangerous. (how many meds/vaccines/etc etc have finally been taken off the market in the past 10 years,b/c of of unknown dangers associated with them?)
Number 3 is why I don't mind so much being in a non high risk category,and thinking about my choices still. (if I'm still allowed to have a choice by then)

I am 63 and have type 2 diabetes. Latest estimate is end of July before a vaccine for my risk group. So I have a lot of time to think about it. I did get a swine flu vaccine in 1976 when that mass vaccine effort was underway. I was 19 at the time, living at home with my mom who was a nurse and she was required to get it, and anyone living in a nurses household was recommended to get it.

Actually Fauci side widespread vaccine availability by April/May for most anyone who wants it.

Where are you getting your risk group info? I would assume you'd be before me - I am in 40's with no underlying conditions (that i know of...)

number 2, I REALLY fear the haphazard use of the vax,(say, people get 1st dose,and neglect to get the 2nd) or possibly still being a carrier even after full vax etc..... yet assuming b/c they got a dose,they're "good to go" and no longer need to take precautions at all around others....(not sure yet of the answers to this)
I don't know if it will be the case but when my state gave the CDC their vaccine plan they advised they would give a postcard for a reminder. Also they have a vaccine registry. The hardest group will usually be those who are homeless.

It's not quite exactly the same because COVID is a different entity than HPV but at first Gardasil was 3 shots and is now 2 shots. I remember the time frame was more out for Gardasil and my doctor gave me a wallet sized card that had the dates on it for when the next dosage was (which I had 3 total) and they called me to remind me to come in (this was in 2006). I don't know exactly what it will be like because the scale is much larger with a COVID vaccine so I understand your concern. If you get the Gardasil vaccine now you'll still have 2 shots to deal with.

Actually Fauci side widespread vaccine availability by April/May for most anyone who wants it.

Where are you getting your risk group info? I would assume you'd be before me - I am in 40's with no underlying conditions (that i know of...)
Fauci interview on ABC World News Tonight last night said end of July

So far, in the phase 1,2,3 studies there have been no major adverse events related to the vaccine. I'm not worried about the vaccines being safe. I'm just hoping there is long-term immunity.

For people who are going to wait, how long are you willing to wait to find out if there are long term side effects? On some FDA approved drugs, long term side effects were not reported for 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter