World of Color Status Watch?

I think that Disney just doesn’t want to.

They don’t want Disneyland to be like WDW with the planning way in advance. I know some of us do and want to plan like that- but I just don’t think that is disney’s goal for marketing the Disneyland Park. WDW is their big destination vacation spot. They, for whatever reasons they have, don’t want Disneyland to be that.

I for one like that. I never want Disneyland to be like that. I want to get dinning reservations and use maxpass. When you start releasing all the info way in advance, etc, you start to create a culture or it being this big planning for months/ years trip..: and that’s not Disneyland’s style.

I really do feel for those who are coming for the first time and all this stuff is down. I knew NOTHING before we booked our first trip for Christmas break. And then I started reading and I was legit depressed for 3 days because I hadn’t realized how crazy crowded it was going to be. But I gave myself a prep talk, started reading lots, looking at the positives and we ended up having an AMAZING trip!

See that’s the thing - it doesn’t say that certain months of the year will be super crappy while others won’t be - it would be fair to believe, when booking, that one or two attractions may be down, but not this many. Let’s face it - Universal seem to be able to manage it a lot better - Disney has no excuse

And with the website only being updated a few weeks out, it’s impossible for anybody planning a trip out to DLR to be aware

If you guys take your rose coloured glasses off for just one minute, and try to be objective

See that’s the thing - it doesn’t say that certain months of the year will be super crappy while others won’t be - it would be fair to believe, when booking, that one or two attractions may be down, but not this many. Let’s face it - Universal seem to be able to manage it a lot better - Disney has no excuse

And with the website only being updated a few weeks out, it’s impossible for anybody planning a trip out to DLR to be aware

If you guys take your rose coloured glasses off for just one minute, and try to be objective
upload_2019-1-27_15-43-56.png

No rose colored glasses here, more of a business director that understands things don't always go as planned.

You are going to be there for your first trip about the same as my trip. What are you considering "but not this many"?

Mid Feb, rides to expect to be down will be Grizzly in DCA, along with WOC.
In Disneyland, Fantasmic, the COlumbia, Astro Orbitor, and the castle is covered. (2 rides, a show, and the castle.)

What is up for my trip (close to yours)? Everything in New Orleans, everything in Critter Country, everything in Adventureland, everything in Fronteirland except the COlumbia, the train, Space, Star Tours, Matterhorn, everything in Fantasyland, everything in Toontown, Everthing on Main Street... In DCA, other than WOC, Grizzly River is down, everything else is up. I don't consider that "everything is closed down".

When you come in April, Fantasmic! will be back as will the COlumbia. The Castle, is still an unknown.

I’m not seeing what’s “super crappy” about this time of year? I actually feel like it’s a much more modest refurb schedule than I would have anticipated given SW opening? I think at least a few recent years were worse. :confused3

There’s tons of fun and magic to be had at Disneyland in all kinds of circumstances!

I think at least a few recent years were worse. :confused3

I think this goes back to the heart of it....people are use to and accepting of this practice. I really cant think of other businesses that don't publish their operating hours, or known alternate operations without the most heads up notice to its customers.

It doesn't need to be like WDW for planning... just be respectful to the customers and announce the refurb schedule.

And it's not just the parks....I am still waiting for any communications that the DLH pool/slides are closed during my stay. I booked in early November so again not talking WDW timelines.

As an example, I got an email last week from an Embassy Suites we are staying at in June before a cruise. They contacted to advise there would be some painting going on during our stay and didn't want us to be surprised up in arrival ---- that is hospitality service with the Customer in mind.

I planned my trip on the fly with 6 weeks to plan. I am thrilled with how little is down. When we went in August 2016 the entire river was down: no F!, mark twain, canoes etc. and no railroad at all. I’m also looking at it from a savings standpoint. No WOC or F! dessert seatings, no parade packages, no Frozen pre-show so I can spend money other places. I Understand the frustration for first time visitors but there is still so much more to see! I hope everyone has a wonderful trip and finds many other fantastic things to see and do.

I’m not seeing what’s “super crappy” about this time of year? I actually feel like it’s a much more modest refurb schedule than I would have anticipated given SW opening? I think at least a few recent years were worse. :confused3

There’s tons of fun and magic to be had at Disneyland in all kinds of circumstances!
I was thinking the same thing. WOC is an outlier. But other than that it is not that bad.

:wizard:

@HydroGuy In fairness though:
Screenshot_20190128-181548_Chrome.jpg

^ implies that I would be able to go to the park hours and see this info...enter my dates...but inky if they are within 6 weeks....and even then it may not be complete...

I planned my trip on the fly with 6 weeks to plan. I am thrilled with how little is down. When we went in August 2016 the entire river was down: no F!, mark twain, canoes etc. and no railroad at all. I’m also looking at it from a savings standpoint. No WOC or F! dessert seatings, no parade packages, no Frozen pre-show so I can spend money other places. I Understand the frustration for first time visitors but there is still so much more to see! I hope everyone has a wonderful trip and finds many other fantastic things to see and do.
LOL, accepting of this practice? No, it is recognizing the pattern over many years and understanding the reasons why. Every summer when DLR kicks into high season and lots of rides are going down each day there are howls of complaints here about how DLR cannot keep their rides maintained.

:cool2:

Every summer when DLR kicks into high season and lots of rides are going down each day there are howls of complaints here about how DLR cannot keep their rides maintained.

Disney's "off season" number have increased significantly over the last several years. Disney needs to find a way to keep all of their guests happy. Just because it is the way it has been done, doesnt mean that they dont need to change along in with their customer base.
Maybe that means announcing hours/refurbs earlier maybe ot means spreading them.out slightly more than they historically have....

@HydroGuy In fairness though:
View attachment 378670

^ implies that I would be able to go to the park hours and see this info...enter my dates...but inky if they are within 6 weeks....and even then it may not be complete...
You can see this info. Not just as far out as you want. When you want to look further out, then see part 1 of this page when it gives seasons and months. I posted that because the PP said "Disney does not post thing kind of thing". He was wrong. They do.

I get it. You want Disney to post things earlier. They don't. Even when they do post something it is always "subject to change without notice" anyways.

LOL, accepting of this practice? No, it is recognizing the pattern over many years and understanding the reasons why. Every summer when DLR kicks into high season and lots of rides are going down each day there are howls of complaints here about how DLR cannot keep their rides maintained.

EDITED: 6am is too early to interpret comments sometimes.

Last edited:
I’ve tried to stay away from this thread but I can’t help it cause my love for this show is so great. It’s also causing me to think about conspiracies. Like they are holding off from bring WoC back until it’s close to SW:GE opening in June. They are going to need something to entice all the AP’s who are blocked out of Disneyland but are still allowed in DCA this summer. I’ve seen them working on the left platform recently on the alleged “new issue”. Then the previous poster here says the latest rumor is Memorial Day. That’s getting awfully close to Star Wars opening. Again there probably really is a new problem but what if there isn’t? I’d be beyond pissed if it could have been running this whole time but they wanted to make it part of their summertime promotion at DCA..... WoC is back!

You can't tell me, with the significant resource of Disney and funding behind them, That if it was a REAL priority to Disney, that it wouldn't be up and running by now. Reality is, they're putting all resources possible into this Star Wars Land (As somebody who doesn't care for Star Wars, don't even get me started on this!) and everything else is taking a back seat

Disney have made a decision here, to make WoC Refurb low priority, with the added benefit to them, of being ready close to SWGE opening, in order to draw some crowds away from DLR and create some hype around DCA (Like when MSEP came back, Old Show which has been on hiatus, everybody swarmed for sentimental value)

WoC being down is disappointing, IMO it was better than most other night time shows within DLR/DCA, however the salt into the wound is having F! down at the same time - shows absolute disdain towards those visitors who have booked trips over the Feb/March/April period. There is absolutely no excuse for this!

I have come to terms with the fact that WOC will not be up by my trip and I am so disappointed. I am starting to wonder too if this is just because Disney is too wrapped up in SWGE to give a darn about this right now. Sure, they are testing, but I just don't understand this kind of massive delay. WOC is my favorite show and while yes, we will still have a great vacation, and yes, we know it's refurb season, this is still a tough pill to swallow. I'm also starting to worry about night crowds without anything running to eat them up besides ride queues. We were looking forward to doing WOC DP on our first night, then trying to get some more rides on Cars at night while others did WOC on the other nights. Now I'm afraid it will just be nuts after dark.

... I'm also starting to worry about night crowds without anything running to eat them up besides ride queues... Now I'm afraid it will just be nuts after dark.
What are your trip dates? It was posted yesterday that F! will be back March 8th, so that, at least, will hold a large number of guests out of ride lines twice a night. I agree with you that WOC can't come back soon enough... it's been so long. But it is good news that F!'s refurb will be shorter than most people had expected/feared.

What are your trip dates? It was posted yesterday that F! will be back March 8th, so that, at least, will hold a large number of guests out of ride lines twice a night. I agree with you that WOC can't come back soon enough... it's been so long. But it is good news that F!'s refurb will be shorter than most people had expected/feared.

I know! I just saw that in another thread! We leave March 4, so close! Haha! I am really happy for those that are getting it in their trip now that weren't planning to! Awesome pixie dust! Hoping Tink throws some my way for WOC! :) Anyone have any advice for dealing with crowds without nighttime entertainment running? It will be a new experience for us!

... Anyone have any advice for dealing with crowds without nighttime entertainment running? It will be a new experience for us!
Start watching the app for ride wait times and FP return/availability times the week before your trip. This will give you a basic feel for what will be going on when you get to the parks. Brush up on your MP/FP skillz! You'll want to have FPs stacked for evening/night rides. And, if your group is old enough and game, use SR -- especially for RSR and SM. SR works really well for repeat rides on those rides, not always so well on IJA. And don't worry too much about crowds without nighttime entertainment -- keep in mind that lots of guests are first timers who don't even know that there should be nighttime shows! So they don't necessarily rush to the rides at night. MMM has multiple viewing areas that are keeping the crowds in DL spread out for that show. We haven't been crushed to the gills by other guests at night so far. And we've seen more people in DTD at night -- hanging out, dining, shopping -- than we've seen there in a long time. We see lots of groups hanging out and enjoying drinks. People are spreading out more than you'd think. Or they head back to the hotel and the hot tub. So keep watching the app and reading updates here. But don't freak yourself out -- things might work out much better than you expect!

Another thing people may not understand, especially for this summer. When a ride is down for refurb, it decreases the park capacity. So rides taken down this summer, means the capacity of the park is decreased. Again, with what will likely be happening with SW:GE won't be a good thing for Disney.

Seems we've gotten a bit off the topic of WOC status watch...Any more rumors, thoughts, predictions about when it might come back? It's not even my favorite nighttime entertainment, but I'm wanting to see it again now that it's been gone so long! We'll be there in a couple weeks, but I'm thinking it still won't be back by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter