WWYD? Some cruisy options

Keeping cost differences in mind, which would you do?

• Disney Fantasy

• Disney Wonder

• RCCL Explorer

Results are only viewable after voting.

Franrose

DIS Veteran
I'd love to say money was no object, but who are we kidding lol - any money we spend has an opportunity cost! So, what would you do/what are your thoughts? Choosing the Disney option means needing to fly down from NY so that is an extra cost to think about, whereas the RCCL option we could just jump on at the end of a NY leg. I don't know whether I would be prepared to spend $7000 on a cruise TBH but I've got to put it out there because perhaps there is something I don't know that would really justify those prices and make the idea worthwhile checking out.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night cruise from 21 December, Caribbean itinerary B from Port Canaveral, priced from around $7000

Disney Wonder: 7 night cruise from 21 December, Caribbean itinerary A from Port Canaveral, priced from around $5,500

RCCL Explorer of the Seas: 7 night cruise from 22 December, Bahamas from New York (approximately) priced from around $3,500 (or $4,500 for two interconnecting staterooms).

If you need any other info to help your decision sing out ;)

I really like RC and the convenience of the cruise from NY makes so much sense. Explorer of the Seas is a Voyager class ship so one size down from Freedom class of ships - we sailed on Freedom of the Seas. Explorer will still have the Royal Promenade and the ice-skating rink but not the Flow Rider - not that I expect you'd use that much in the winter anyway! If you are near the Brisbane port this summer, you might see Voyager of the Seas, one of Explorer's sister ships, as she will be sailing our waters this summer.

Of course many on this site will probably vote Disney but personally I see no need to pay the extra $$ for a Disney cruise when RC gives such a great experience :thumbsup2

I went on a RCCL cruise many moons ago and had a fantastic time. If spending the extra money on the Disney option and flying down there might take away from other parts of your trip, or fom you enjoying yourself while over there, I say go with RCCL from New York

Franrose i voted the Fantasy i think that price for Christmas onboard is really good but we haven't sailed any other cruise line so perhaps don't pay any attention to my vote ;)
Sailing out of New York was an amazing experience i know Disney is more expensive but everytime we added up all the extras on other cruise lines in comparable categories it still made sense for us to cruise with Disney now our kids are only interested in Disney cruises with DS17 begging us to do another one before he turns 18.

Another vote for RCCL here. We loved Freedom of the seas, my kids say that it was the best part of our trip. I wish they would put a flow rider on the voyager class!

i voted fantasy as i too have been having this same dilemma. i compared quality of furnishings, layout of stateroom, included extras versus paid extras, quality of dining options and special meal options and their dining reviews, quality of the experience, i read through stacks and stacks of tr's and each one had me coming back to the fantasy. she is a newer ship, cleaner and more spacious than the wonder. i also like the idea of the disney customer service and magic rather than another cruise line... but that is us.

to help me decide, i listed all the pros and cons for each of the ships, broke the pricing down per person, per stateroom, per night, the features on the ships we would use (no point in listing the kids clubs or pools as we don't have kids etc).

good luck with whatever one you choose to do.. i am sure your family will love it.

Battymum and Karen, if you both voted RCCL, why is my RCCL vote the only one on the poll? :confused3

Oops didn't realise there was an actual poll- I am using an iPad and you don't see it, there is a tiny box to click on and pull down. Will vote now!

battymum said:
Oops didn't realise there was an actual poll- I am using an iPad and you don't see it, there is a tiny box to click on and pull down. Will vote now!

Same here stupid iPad, just voted

Just as a quick aside, and the DU people book non-Disney stuff (like RCCL)? Not that that's an issue as it looks easy enough to book online, I'm just not sure if booking it yourself is the best idea or whether there's an advantage to using a TA. Ramble ramble ;)

Well, I do actually get landsick - where the world continues to rock and roll for some time after the cruise (up to a month) which is actually a real PITA after a while lol, so if some stunningly better option comes up I may indeed be swayed! pirate:

That's a lot of $$$ for a week's worth of cruising. What about staying on dry land and visiting other parts of the US?

That's a lot of $$$ for a week's worth of cruising. What about staying on dry land and visiting other parts of the US?

Definite possible, just trying to work out where: because it's over the Christmas period, a lot of places will be busy. We'd need to work out how to have Christmas (ie where to have it, kwim). [Or I guess we could just shift dates earlier a little but then you encroach on Thanksgiving - though with nothing booked, this is still very much a fluid trip lol!] It's also mid winter... after NY, do we want to be somewhere else super cold? :confused3 The kids will be 6 & 7 so it has to be a place that will interest that age group as well as mum and dad. Places I've been: Hawaii (though years ago), LA, SF, SD, Arizona, Nevada (LV), Washington DC, NY (want to repeat this), Georgia, NC... Where's new that could fit some of the above criteria, and not be a let down after a stay at WDW lol?

Possibly look at having a white christmas; so maybe one of the snowfields in Colorado?

Otherwise...what about the Yucatan Peninsula?

For a start, I wouldn't even consider the Wonder at 7 grand - too much money. But it's a tough choice between the other two.
I'd imagine that Disney would really lay on the Xmas magic for your kids making it extremely special, but the savings for the RC ship are pretty substantial. Either would be great, I don't think you can go wrong.

I've only ever been away from home for Xmas twice in my life. Once was last Xmas spent on a tiny Fijian Island and the other time was a coach trip around snowy Austria. They are by far the best Xmases, if not best holidays, I have ever had.

I think a cruise over Xmas is a great way to go. Like my Fijian Xmas, it would be so relaxing. There would be no worries about who's driving, cooking, cleaning etc. and you can just concentrate on enjoying the sunshine and time with family.
However, I also think the idea of a winter Xmas is a great one. Having done the whole white Xmas, there is really something quite magical about it. Not sure what it's like in the States, but in Europe Xmas made me feel just like a kid again. Walking through the colourful markets, inhaling the glorious smells of gingerbread and mulled wine. Watching people laugh as they iceskate in the park, or carollers sing in the street. It was everything the front of Xmas cards lead you to believe Xmas is. While it's my dream next year to take my boy to WDW, I think, given the choice, my DH would take him to Europe for a white Xmas.

Good luck with your planning, it's a great choice to have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter