WWYD? Some cruisy options

Keeping cost differences in mind, which would you do?

• Disney Fantasy

• Disney Wonder

• RCCL Explorer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cruises are definately pricey ;)
With that in mind I wouldn't want to do one if there was a good chance the weather was going to be cool and crappy ;)

I loved our Western Caribbean and would love to do The Eastern also, but a cruise next year for us is out of the question I think, and that is the only one i'm interested in.

Cruises at Christmastime are particularly pricey, lol. The rest of the year might be better, I think they're great value overall when you consider the food that's included and the places you get to visit. But yeah, the cruise I'd most like to do doubles in price because it's over Christmas, and that's when I'd really want to do it. I worked out last night could get three or four weeks with park hopper tickets at WDW for the same price, or Disneyland over the Christmas period (also with parkhopper tickets ;) ) for less than half the price. You'd have to really want it and I think I'm too casual. :lmao: We cruised last year just before Disney and although it was good, it was not nearly as super awesome as our US trip. We can come back and do a cruise at a time when the prices are not at their premium and when we're more looking for that kind of holiday. :)

Cruises at Christmastime are particularly pricey, lol. The rest of the year might be better, I think they're great value overall when you consider the food that's included and the places you get to visit. But yeah, the cruise I'd most like to do doubles in price because it's over Christmas, and that's when I'd really want to do it. I worked out last night could get three or four weeks with park hopper tickets at WDW for the same price, or Disneyland over the Christmas period (also with parkhopper tickets ;) ) for less than half the price. You'd have to really want it and I think I'm too casual. :lmao: We cruised last year just before Disney and although it was good, it was not nearly as super awesome as our US trip. We can come back and do a cruise at a time when the prices are not at their premium and when we're more looking for that kind of holiday. :)
i wouldn't even travel at Christmastime LOL
The prices just :scared:

Do you mind me asking which cruise you went on previously? Was it on on one of local ships ie P&O. I hate to sound snobby but certain cruise lines take cruising to another level and my personal opinion is that some of the local ones don't cut it. The recent increase in cruising and big ships coming to visit Australia has certainly helped change the perception of what cruising should be like!

Having said that, yes, unfortunately everything over Christmas is expensive, including Christmas and that reduces the value holiday that it tends to be. But I'm hoping that like the parks, it will be an even more special experience over Christmas! I am really looking forward to the entertainment onboard and I'm wondering if they'll have special acts.

We were on a Mediterranean cruise on the Magic and the Panama cruise on the Wonder. They were both amazing cruises. There were so many specials things for the children, eg on the Mediterranean cruise, each child got a journal for the journey where they can write their notes, it had little facts about each port and games and puzzles for them to do, on the Panama Canal cruise, there was a sleepover party! Yay says the parents!!!

As you say though, it all comes down to how badly you want it! And if the price is something that you would be prepared to pay! Its tough in the US, because there are so many other things to do which are equally awesome!

It was p&o, and so while I get you on it not being a grand ship or on par with the US cruises, it's not that so much as that I loved the other aspects of our Sept Dis trip, kwim. I loved exploring, in NY it was catching the subway, visiting all the icons... At Dis it was wandering the parks and soaking it up, using my phone apps to find all the short lines, going to the different stores, Amazon Cafe, Lego... etc etc etc. You venture further than you do on a cruise, kwim. And we were much more of a tight unit as a family, since there's no kids club (which my kids love!). You'd think I'd prefer kids club lol (*I* think I'd prefer kids club, anyway) but I loooooved my 24/7 fun time with my girls. I get land sick or whatever it's called and that took a little bit of shine off for me too. I think we'll do a cruise another time, but it's kind of like Fiji, I don't need to get back there right away either. Not for $7,000 anyway, when I know I'd be able to get it much much cheaper waiting till another trip! :rotfl: And we can still get the Dis Christmas experience :D

It was p&o, and so while I get you on it not being a grand ship or on par with the US cruises, it's not that so much as that I loved the other aspects of our Sept Dis trip, kwim. I loved exploring, in NY it was catching the subway, visiting all the icons... At Dis it was wandering the parks and soaking it up, using my phone apps to find all the short lines, going to the different stores, Amazon Cafe, Lego... etc etc etc. You venture further than you do on a cruise, kwim. And we were much more of a tight unit as a family, since there's no kids club (which my kids love!). You'd think I'd prefer kids club lol (*I* think I'd prefer kids club, anyway) but I loooooved my 24/7 fun time with my girls. I get land sick or whatever it's called and that took a little bit of shine off for me too. I think we'll do a cruise another time, but it's kind of like Fiji, I don't need to get back there right away either. Not for $7,000 anyway, when I know I'd be able to get it much much cheaper waiting till another trip! :rotfl: And we can still get the Dis Christmas experience :D

:thumbsup2

Sorry that was such a long reply btw, but I've been weighing everything up pretty obsessively lol (I think I watched 50 minutes of on board footage of Fantasy yesterday for eg!) so I've been trying to figure out myself the way I feel :rotfl:

Sorry that was such a long reply btw, but I've been weighing everything up pretty obsessively lol (I think I watched 50 minutes of on board footage of Fantasy yesterday for eg!) so I've been trying to figure out myself the way I feel :rotfl:

No need to apologise! I do understand. Disney cruises are expensive at the best of times compared to other lines. We also had to think long and hard about going on the Fantasy over Christmas. Sometimes I too find it hard to think rationally about my various competing "wants"! :rotfl2: Cruising is a different type of holiday. The way you see a port is different to how you might visit if you did it "land" based.

I'm not actively trying to sell a Disney cruise to you (or maybe I am!) but one of the things we love is that most of the activities onboard are geared towards families. So there's plenty that can be done as a family which we love.

Disney starts the Christmas experience at the end of November the ships are decorated and they have Gingerbread house making etc activities so you could also do one of the earlier cruises for the same experience as much as we would love to be on a cruise on Christmas day i just cant justify the extra money especially not when it seems so cheap to stay in New York for those few days.
Re land sickness i kept taking the sea sick tablets and that made a huge difference to me just wondering if you tried that?

I'm not actively trying to sell a Disney cruise to you (or maybe I am!) but one of the things we love is that most of the activities onboard are geared towards families. So there's plenty that can be done as a family which we love.

Don't worry - I am sold! :banana: I don't think I could look past the Fantasy very easily now... I loved that the kids clubs were spoken of so highly too in reviews etc, and I want to do the Muppet adventure :cheer2:

(And the aquaduct, and the veranda room with separate toilet & bath, and Castaway Cay, and and and... lol!)

Re land sickness i kept taking the sea sick tablets and that made a huge difference to me just wondering if you tried that?

Did you try it after the trip you mean? I did think of giving that ago. There's not really any nausea unless I fight the feeling but it can mean I have difficulty staying upright in confined areas (eg the shower) for a few weeks afterward :rotfl: Onboard, I'm fine! I'd do an earlier sailing in a heartbeat if I knew I wouldn't be affected by that again but I don't want to risk it. The exact same cruise at the beginning of Dec is $4,000 for the exact same room as the $7,000 later on! Can't justify the extra $$ when there's plenty more things I want to do too :)

Did you try it after the trip you mean? I did think of giving that ago. There's not really any nausea unless I fight the feeling but it can mean I have difficulty staying upright in confined areas (eg the shower) for a few weeks afterward :rotfl: Onboard, I'm fine! I'd do an earlier sailing in a heartbeat if I knew I wouldn't be affected by that again but I don't want to risk it. The exact same cruise at the beginning of Dec is $4,000 for the exact same room as the $7,000 later on! Can't justify the extra $$ when there's plenty more things I want to do too :)

The first night of the boat i was feeling so sick in the middle of the night i decided i would try the seasick tablets figured it wouldn't hurt and it stopped it within a few hours so i just took them for a few days the last time i was like that it took me over a week to recover and it was only a day cruise :rotfl:

... the last time i was like that it took me over a week to recover and it was only a day cruise :rotfl:

Oh my goodness :rotfl:

I don't get sick on the cruise, I feel fine - it's just that when I get off, the ground still feels like it's moving/tipping and that goes on for weeks. It's called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome. I think most people feel it for an hour or two, or maybe the day, but it kept going for me for about a month. It's worse when you're in a small enclosed space (eg the shower) and it can make you fall over because you have no balance lol! At it's worst, it's really weird walking, a little bit like the ground is moving up and down to meet you. :rotfl: If I think about it too much, like "hey, I'm off the boat, this shouldn't be happening!" I feel sick, but if I just relax about it I feel ok. But it does affect my balance (and probably makes me look like I've been drinking :eek: ) for weeks after, and it is an uncomfortable/annoying sort of feeling after a while, so that's why I don't want to do a cruise at the beginning/in the middle of a trip. Plus there's the chance I could get hurt falling over :rotfl:

Apparently, some people can get it and it goes on for years! Bad luck... (and touch wood that that may never be me on a future cruise!)

I can understand your dilemma entirely. My brain keeps telling me to do Anaheim instead of Orlando - cheaper, less flying and less time needed off work. However, there is no Disney Fantasy on the West Coast and I have fallen in love with that ship (despite never having been on it before) :)
So at present my mind seems to change at least twice a day. And when I'm not internally debating DL vs. WDW, I'm debating stopover destinations.

Now, if I could just win the lottery I'd quit my job and do them all....

It was p&o, and so while I get you on it not being a grand ship or on par with the US cruises

One of the 3 cruises I have done was P&O, and while I'm certainly not their biggest fan, I think there are some things they do pretty well. We got a last minute deal - $150pp for a 4 night NZ coastal cruise in an outside cabin - so I will always remember P&O fondly as the cheapest holiday I've ever been on.

However, their ships are older, and from what I understand their stabilizers are not as good as those on newer ships. I could be wrong, but you may find that a newer ship won't affect you nearly as much with the rocking feeling afterwards.

Also, just a question on the side. Did you have your kids with you last time you visited New York? If so, how old were they, and how did they find it? Thanks!

One of the 3 cruises I have done was P&O, and while I'm certainly not their biggest fan, I think there are some things they do pretty well. We got a last minute deal - $150pp for a 4 night NZ coastal cruise in an outside cabin - so I will always remember P&O fondly as the cheapest holiday I've ever been on.

However, their ships are older, and from what I understand their stabilizers are not as good as those on newer ships. I could be wrong, but you may find that a newer ship won't affect you nearly as much with the rocking feeling afterwards.

Also, just a question on the side. Did you have your kids with you last time you visited New York? If so, how old were they, and how did they find it? Thanks!

That is crazy... I reckon I ate $150/day worth of food alone (always at the main dining room which was lovely), plus had free 'babysitting' while I did it! :thumbsup2

Yes we did have the kids - they loved it and I am so glad we took them. :) They were four and five. We did things like a horse & carriage ride through central park, wandering the Time Warner building, catching the subway all over the place, visiting World Trade One being built and a church nearby that had a lot of memorial items, the Staten island ferry past the Statue of Liberty, Macy's, ToysRUs and the M&Ms store, the Rockerfeller centre, the Lego store, and American Girl Place.

While we were in our Times Square room one night, the movie Enchanted (Disney - set in NY) came on, that was pretty special! And they've loved seeing movies that feature NY since (the Smurfs was a great one). :3dglasses

Hopefully I'll be able to show you pics in my TR very soon! :cool2:

I can understand your dilemma entirely. My brain keeps telling me to do Anaheim instead of Orlando - cheaper, less flying and less time needed off work. However, there is no Disney Fantasy on the West Coast and I have fallen in love with that ship (despite never having been on it before) :)
So at present my mind seems to change at least twice a day. And when I'm not internally debating DL vs. WDW, I'm debating stopover destinations.

Now, if I could just win the lottery I'd quit my job and do them all....

We fell in love with The Fantasy after cruising, the only cruise we have ever done, and DH and I said at the time "I don't want to go on any other".

I would definately travel to Orlando just to go on The Fantasy ;)

We were originally booked on The Wonder, but the new ship swayed us and i'm so glad it did :thumbsup2

My DH used to be in the RAN, so had travelled on patrol boats alot, and at times got some very bad seasickness.
He commented to me many times that he couldn't believe that he wasn't noticing any movement, it was like being on a giant moving island :laughing:

I missed this bit - it's "funny", but as I get an approximate idea for our trip costs (not including internal flights, admittedly, but we got some good ones last year) WDW keeps coming up much better value for money! I guess there's an economy that kicks in the longer you stay, but a week at DL with park hoppers is a lot more than half the price of two weeks at WDW (that's comparing staying on-property, staying off works out better and is more simple at DL than WDW with proximity).

My mind is changing though, and changing again, and again... I think it's a bad case of "can't do everything-itis" ha ha! I have mentally walked away from the cruise idea now as 1) I cannot look past the Fantasy, 2) I've looked up other people's experiences with MDDS and it seems like the ship itself doesn't make a lot of difference and it doesn't have to be rough for you to get it, so I'd need a cruise to be the last thing on our itinerary just to be safe and not be dizzy/swaying for the rest of the holiday and 3) with that in mind, I'd rather do it when it's not twice the normal price! :santa:

I missed this bit - it's "funny", but as I get an approximate idea for our trip costs (not including internal flights, admittedly, but we got some good ones last year) WDW keeps coming up much better value for money! I guess there's an economy that kicks in the longer you stay, but a week at DL with park hoppers is a lot more than half the price of two weeks at WDW (that's comparing staying on-property, staying off works out better and is more simple at DL than WDW with proximity).

My mind is changing though, and changing again, and again... I think it's a bad case of "can't do everything-itis" ha ha! I have mentally walked away from the cruise idea now as 1) I cannot look past the Fantasy, 2) I've looked up other people's experiences with MDDS and it seems like the ship itself doesn't make a lot of difference and it doesn't have to be rough for you to get it, so I'd need a cruise to be the last thing on our itinerary just to be safe and not be dizzy/swaying for the rest of the holiday and 3) with that in mind, I'd rather do it when it's not twice the normal price! :santa:

You're certainly correct that WDW is great value for money the longer you stay. We're crossing our fingers for free dining which will make it even better value.
However, the reason Anaheim also holds so much appeal, is that I feel like a week would be plenty to do and see everything we wanted. We would definitely stay off site as there doesn't seem as much benefit to staying onsite as there does at WDW.
We would break up the trip home with a stopover in Fiji and get home relaxed and content within a total of 2 weeks.

WDW, while being a much more exciting prospect, is also a 'monster' that seems to grow in size everytime I research it. Even with 3 1/2 weeks (the absolute maximum time we can take off - and a stretch at that), I'm just not sure we will be able to do everything I want to do. I'm now even considering squeezing in 3 or 4 nights in NY - but goodness knows where I plan on fitting that in or how I plan on affording it :rotfl:

Oh Franrose, I can't wait to see what you decide to do because I have my fingers crossed that we will be able to go back Dec 14/Jan 15 and I suspect I'm either going to copy your Dec 13 trip itinerary or Ms Shuttergirl's upcoming Dec 12 trip itinerary :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter