• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2018 and 2019 Extended Points Outcomes

I am an August UY. I have 14 2018 points that were returned from a May reservation and need to be used by July 31 or be lost. If I had just left them in my account I would now have an extension of their use but I made a reservation for July 28 with them. I would rather not drive to Florida for 1 day. Going by their new guidelines, I cannot now cancel and have those 14 points extended since the resorts will be open then.

I want to call and explain that the 14 points are originally from a cancelled May reservation and can't they please give me an extension if I cancel the July 28 reservation; where I put those 14 points before they would expire.

Has anyone had success with a similar situation of getting an extension of 2018 points? Is it worth my time to call member services to ask?
I called MS and was told “no”.
I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told I would get a call back.
Today I got the call and was told they can extend 2018 points now that had been originally used in a reservation while the resorts were closed.
She also said I can call at the beginning of my AugUY to have my extended points reallocated in my Sept trip since the extension is only through Nov.

Has anyone else with a June use year not had their 2019 points banked yet? I talked to them Saturday and was told it would be done by today instead of the 5th. I know it's still early so I'm not going to call them until tomorrow if they don't show up today. I was just wondering if anyone else is still waiting.

Has anyone else with a June use year not had their 2019 points banked yet? I talked to them Saturday and was told it would be done by today instead of the 5th. I know it's still early so I'm not going to call them until tomorrow if they don't show up today. I was just wondering if anyone else is still waiting.
we are JUNE UY and waiting to access our banked 2019 points.. I am calling this AM to see if they are there and can be reallocated. The date has been pushed farther many times and I just want them available to use! Let's see what I am told today!

SAME, I called at 9:00am and was told YES they can see our points moved over to 2020 and that we can reallocate them into our new reservation!!!! SO SO SO relieved !!!!!! Now to see what happens with jambo house! we decided to waitlist 2 resorts to avoid getting pushed to Kidani if Jambo doesnt reopen. I want options!

SAME, I called at 9:00am and was told YES they can see our points moved over to 2020 and that we can reallocate them into our new reservation!!!! SO SO SO relieved !!!!!! Now to see what happens with jambo house! we decided to waitlist 2 resorts to avoid getting pushed to Kidani if Jambo doesnt reopen. I want options!

Yeah! So you are all set! Glad to see the reports that reallocation not being allowed did not happen!

Now, at lease those with Aug, Sept, or Oct UYs who have trips already will be able to use them.

However, the next piece is what happens to freed up points..if borrowed will they be returned...Last reports were they will not if expired points replace them.

Thanks for the update. I guess I will have to call. I heard that 2018 banked points would not be visible but figured 2019 would once they were banked.

Also, IMHO, I think (pure speculation on my part) DVC now realizes they did in fact jump the gun in announcing the extension for June UY 2018 banked points, and wishes they could rescind those extensions. While rescinding those extensions would cause an uproar, since they never announced how those extended 2018 banked points could be used, they can put so many restrictions on them, that they are effectively unusable. If they are unusable it has the same effect as if they were never extended.

I hope I am wrong, but we will wait and see once June UY's try to use their extended 2018 banked points, and you post the response you receive to your email.
Never have been so happy to have been so wrong.

Hi all,

Posted this on another similar thread but figured it's information that people are looking for:

Re: booking with 2018 banked points

Chatted with MS and was told that I won't see banked 2018 reflected on your dashboard. Make the booking before 12/1 (I'm June use year) and contact them via chat/call to reallocate your 2018 banked points into that booking.

After making the booking for the end of June (in 2-ish weeks, not my home resort):

The points were initially taken from the "2020 use year" (which included the 2019 points banked). Initiated chat with MS. After explaining the situation to the CM he reallocated the 2018 points to the booking. I immediately refreshed my dashboard while still on chat and it reflected the corrected number in 2020. So yes, the 2019 points were put back into 2020.

CM was fast and knew exactly what he was doing.

Hope this reassures people that things are being done correctly and quickly!

I called MS and was told “no”.
I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told I would get a call back.
Today I got the call and was told they can extend 2018 points now that had been originally used in a reservation while the resorts were closed.
She also said I can call at the beginning of my AugUY to have my extended points reallocated in my Sept trip since the extension is only through Nov.
Okay, so I want to make sure that I understand you correctly.

I have a September UY. I had a reservation in March that had to be cancelled. I went ahead and made a reservation at the end of August because I had banked 2018 points in this reservation and they would expire. I am now being told twice, chat and phone CM now, that I cannot do anything other than bank with RCI or use them or let them expire.

Is this the same situation that you were in?

I have a reservation in November that it would be great to move these points into and free up points. This is what they essentially did for you? or are saying that they will do?

I am on hold for a supervisor now.

Okay, so I want to make sure that I understand you correctly.

I have a September UY. I had a reservation in March that had to be cancelled. I went ahead and made a reservation at the end of August because I had banked 2018 points in this reservation and they would expire. I am now being told twice, chat and phone CM now, that I cannot do anything other than bank with RCI or use them or let them expire.

Is this the same situation that you were in?

I have a reservation in November that it would be great to move these points into and free up points. This is what they essentially did for you? or are saying that they will do?

I am on hold for a supervisor now.

Yes.
This is what the supervisor could do for me since the points were originally in a reservation when the resorts were closed.
I had to wait for a call the next day.
You would have to call back about Sept 9 to have points reallocated to your Nov trip.

Yes.
This is what the supervisor could do for me since the points were originally in a reservation when the resorts were closed.
I had to wait for a call the next day.
You would have to call back about Sept 9 to have points reallocated to your Nov trip.
Thank you so much for posting about this!!! I thought that we would have to go in August in order to use the points, which was going to be hard to do.

The supervisor was able to give me "consideration" and it is on a case by case basis. I am so thankful!

I had 54 Feb19s that were put into Feb 2020 just recently with a July 4 cancel by Disney, which means they must be used by Jan 31 2021. Since I am in California Grand the only days outside of 7 months were Jan 9-31, so we booked Jan 29-31. We have 3 more days in August, not sure what year. If they are 2019 looks like our only option would be Aulani. I acted quickly, because days left were very limited. Not sure if I called I could get them moved back further. The issue with owning in California is inside 7 months there is never anything available. Need to plan ahead. We had this year wired after screwing up last year and had to slip in a Aulani date, but then covid messed us all up again

Another success story of reallocating banked 2018 points to a reservation for late November I had previously made with current use year points. It took 5 minutes including time for the CM to ask some questions to their supervisor but then was easily done.

Actually the most interesting part was that she referred to the points being reallocated as "new Riviera points that you can't see". So it seems that the points we are getting aren't really home resort points carried forward, Disney is reassigning Riviera points (I assume unsold points they are holding) to cover the expired 2018 ones.

That makes sense as DVC can't really just "create" new points out of nothing to cover these extensions.

Another success story of reallocating banked 2018 points to a reservation for late November I had previously made with current use year points. It took 5 minutes including time for the CM to ask some questions to their supervisor but then was easily done.

Actually the most interesting part was that she referred to the points being reallocated as "new Riviera points that you can't see". So it seems that the points we are getting aren't really home resort points carried forward, Disney is reassigning Riviera points (I assume unsold points they are holding) to cover the expired 2018 ones.

That makes sense as DVC can't really just "create" new points out of nothing to cover these extensions.

That was one of my theories as that would get around any potential legal trouble with double banking....since they are not really doing that,

Now, was your reservation made during home resort priority?

I had to call MS last night to modify my VGC reservation (July 21-24th so I had to make sure I kept the last night before they cancel the reservation) and I was also able to reallocate the 33 2019 points that had showed up on June 3 to my February BLT Princess reservation. I was on hold for about 45 minutes. Got a really sweet CM who was super helpful.

The points lost for my April reservation have been banked into 2020 automatically by DVC. :)

I was told when I called about it a couple of weeks ago, that I would have to call back to reallocate them to already booked future stays...so that's what I'm assuming I'll have to do. Gonna wait until it calms down some to do that, though. No sense in holding on the phone for an hour or more and tying up the line for someone else when I can wait a month or two and accomplish the same thing.

I have never done this. I’m understanding that I can call and have these banked points swapped out with current points in an upcoming reservation, since points cannot be banked more than once, correct?

This would be lovely:love:

I have never done this. I’m understanding that I can call and have these banked points swapped out with current points in an upcoming reservation, since points cannot be banked more than once, correct?

This would be lovely:love:

Yes, correct. You can also re-book the reservation yourself online now through the modify feature, and it should pull the banked points first.

i'm trying to understand this all. I had to cx my april trip which was booked with 2018 banked points. i called today to find out when i had to use these points by. they said by the last day of my 2020 use year. i'm feb use year so i get my 2021 pts in feb. so that is correct? i need to use my 178 left 2018 points that i had banked into 2019 but the end of my use year? i went ahead and booked a mid jan trip just cause i didn't want to loose them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter