• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2018 and 2019 Extended Points Outcomes

i'm trying to understand this all. I had to cx my april trip which was booked with 2018 banked points. i called today to find out when i had to use these points by. they said by the last day of my 2020 use year. i'm feb use year so i get my 2021 pts in feb. so that is correct? i need to use my 178 left 2018 points that i had banked into 2019 but the end of my use year? i went ahead and booked a mid jan trip just cause i didn't want to loose them.

With a Feb UY, those have to be banked 2019 points as 2018 banked would have expired Jan 31st, 2020 and couldn’t have been used in April 2020

Banked 2019 points still expired as normal, the end of your 2020 UY, January 31st, 2021.

so what they r telling me is correct. i'm so confused right now. ya they were 2019 points. i'm off a year.

I had my SS points stuck in limbo as the post starter. points for a trip in August and i need to make a decision by Nov 30th to either go, sell, or roll to RCI (YUCK) and in all honestly i don’t see myself going this year so I hope DVC circles back and helps ppl stranded like this. I don’t see my family traveling to disney as long as manditory masks stay in place so for the 1st time in 35yrs we will miss disney for a year which in itself hurts but losing the points on top is like the salt in the wound

I had my SS points stuck in limbo as the post starter. points for a trip in August and i need to make a decision by Nov 30th to either go, sell, or roll to RCI (YUCK) and in all honestly i don’t see myself going this year so I hope DVC circles back and helps ppl stranded like this. I don’t see my family traveling to disney as long as manditory masks stay in place so for the 1st time in 35yrs we will miss disney for a year which in itself hurts but losing the points on top is like the salt in the wound

Unfortunately, there really is no way to make it so owners who just can’t Go or are not comfortable in going will not lose points.

The system has to balance and once resorts are open, as tough as it is, they have to be sure any policy keeps that in mind as the timeshare law and our contracts require them to do that,

I am sorry you may end up with a loss in all of this.

Unfortunately, there really is no way to make it so owners who just can’t Go or are not comfortable in going will not lose points.

The system has to balance and once resorts are open, as tough as it is, they have to be sure any policy keeps that in mind as the timeshare law and our contracts require them to do that,

I am sorry you may end up with a loss in all of this.

i know no one planned for this, and i know disney has the right to say or do legally what the contract spells out. it just sucks because in hind site i woulda banked the points had i known we had a global pandemic on our hands lol i’m sure i’m not alone and i know it’s a tuff spot for everyone.

My 87 2019 June points were banked today and I was successfully able to modify them online into an existing reservation freeing up bankable points!

I had 122 banked October 2018 points that I had originally used for a late-March stay that was cancelled. I rebooked a stay for Aug 29-Sept 7 before they ‘extended’ the Oct UY (as a back-up before they expired). I also used 6 2019 points and 25 borrowed 2020 points for that booking. I called MS this morning to see what my options were, and was told that if I cancelled (which I did):
- The borrowed points would be returned to my 2020 UY immediately (they have been)
- I would see the 122 2018 banked points and 6 2019 points in my account for the Oct 2019 UY, but I wouldn’t be able to bank the 6 2019 points or use any of them (at this point) for post Sept 30 reservations.
- At the beginning of Oct, I would see the 6 2019 UY points automatically bank into 2020
- At that point, I would no longer see the 122 banked 2018 points in my account, but I would be able to call MS and they would see them (like “transferred” points) and would be able to allocate them to an existing reservation that I have in November (freeing up some 2020 points).

The CM told me just to sit tight and there is nothing for me to do until October. Feels like a bit of a leap of faith, but seems consistent with some of the reports above. Is that rights?? If any one has had another experience or if I am missing anything, please let me know!!

ok - so here is my situation....

We have 250 Sept UY, pts and I had all 250 in 2018 pts that I banked to 2019 to use this June 13-20th. We cancelled the June trip when the resorts were still closed and rescheduled our family trip to December.

SO then I had 250 pts that needed to be used by Aug 30th or bank with RCI

in the meantime, I convinced DH that we should use some pts for ourselves and I booked 4 nights at GFV Aug 26-30th and that left us 34 of the 2018 pts.

THEN, Disney came out with the new rules that Sept UY were extended until Nov 30th. - sweet, but I didnt feel it really applied to me since I was set.

THEN I get an email tonight telling me that my Sandals Bahamas trip in Oct won't be happening bc they won't open back up until November 1st!

DH asked if we could now push the Aug Disney trip to Oct -I say, WHY NOT??!! I can use my 2018 pts until Nov. 30th.

until I called MS tonight and was told NO, that the extension until Nov 30th only works if I move a trip during an impacted time and since my August dates are when Disney is open, the extension no longer applies to me and my points will expire Aug 30th and I have until July 18th to bank them.

***?? and am I reading correctly that some others WERE allowed to book??

and the MS I spoke with tonight said that the call before me wanted to do the same thing so she checked with a supervisor and was told that NO, since our trips were not during an impacted time that the extension doesn't apply.

Should I call back and ask someone else or am I misunderstanding something??

ugh..:headache:

ok - so here is my situation....

We have 250 Sept UY, pts and I had all 250 in 2018 pts that I banked to 2019 to use this June 13-20th. We cancelled the June trip when the resorts were still closed and rescheduled our family trip to December.

SO then I had 250 pts that needed to be used by Aug 30th or bank with RCI

in the meantime, I convinced DH that we should use some pts for ourselves and I booked 4 nights at GFV Aug 26-30th and that left us 34 of the 2018 pts.

THEN, Disney came out with the new rules that Sept UY were extended until Nov 30th. - sweet, but I didnt feel it really applied to me since I was set.

THEN I get an email tonight telling me that my Sandals Bahamas trip in Oct won't be happening bc they won't open back up until November 1st!

DH asked if we could now push the Aug Disney trip to Oct -I say, WHY NOT??!! I can use my 2018 pts until Nov. 30th.

until I called MS tonight and was told NO, that the extension until Nov 30th only works if I move a trip during an impacted time and since my August dates are when Disney is open, the extension no longer applies to me and my points will expire Aug 30th and I have until July 18th to bank them.

***?? and am I reading correctly that some others WERE allowed to book??

and the MS I spoke with tonight said that the call before me wanted to do the same thing so she checked with a supervisor and was told that NO, since our trips were not during an impacted time that the extension doesn't apply.

Should I call back and ask someone else or am I misunderstanding something??

ugh..:headache:
That is the complete opposite of what I was told. My CM told me that because I originally had a reservation with my expiring banked points during the closed period, they would automatically get extended to Nov 30 even though I had rebooked for end of August (which I cancelled this morning based on his advice. He said that that exact question had been blazing all over the CMs internal Q&As and they now had clear instructions on how to proceed. I think you should call back. If they still say no, let me know (as then I will have to call back!!)

That is the complete opposite of what I was told. My CM told me that because I originally had a reservation with my expiring banked points during the closed period, they would automatically get extended to Nov 30 even though I had rebooked for end of August (which I cancelled this morning based on his advice. He said that that exact question had been blazing all over the CMs internal Q&As and they now had clear instructions on how to proceed. I think you should call back. If they still say no, let me know (as then I will have to call back!!)
THANK YOU!

I will call again today - even though that pains me since ALL the people will be calling MS to book their dining ADRs!!

ok - I called again this morning and got a lovely lady, Sierra, who was quite knowledgeable however, my fat face hit the "disconnect" button before we finished the call so I'm calling back right now and have a 35 minute wait!!

I explained my whole situation (pls see above) and here is what she explained:

*My 250 2018 banked into 2019 points WILL BE extended until Nov. 30th
*This extension will happen at some point during the first week of my UY, which is September
*Right now I have 216 pts tied up in a reservation at GFV for Aug 26-30
*34 pts sitting in my account available
*IF I cancel my Aug trip then all 250 pts will be sitting in 2019 and will extended the first year of my UY with a new expiration date of Nov., 30th.
*AFTER my points have been extended I will have from whatever date the extension happens until Nov. 30th to use all 250 pts (she does not know at this time if they will increase that extension use date)
*That means if I want to book a replacement October trip to use some of those extended 2019 points I will have under 3 months to find available rooms (ARGH will that even be possible??)
*When my 2019 points are extended I will NOT be able to see the points online NOR will I be able to book the reservation myself - I will have to call MS.

My DH is now saying that he really doesn't want to go in Aug and would like the trip pushed...especially since our Bahamas trip in Oct was just cancelled by Sandals.

I guess my best bet is to roll the dice and take a chance by cancelling my Aug trip, put the 216 pts back into my account and then wait until the extension happens and then TRY to rebook something for Oct/Nov (prior to the 30th)

Thoughts?? Is this what everyone else is hearing too??

any questions for MS while I'm on hold??

ok - I called again this morning and got a lovely lady, Sierra, who was quite knowledgeable however, my fat face hit the "disconnect" button before we finished the call so I'm calling back right now and have a 35 minute wait!!

*This extension will happen at some point during the first week of my UY, which is September
*IF I cancel my Aug trip then all 250 pts will be sitting in 2019 and will extended the first year of my UY with a new expiration date of Nov., 30th.
*AFTER my points have been extended I will have from whatever date the extension happens until Nov. 30th to use all 250 pts (she does not know at this time if they will increase that extension use date)
*That means if I want to book a replacement October trip to use some of those extended 2019 points I will have under 3 months to find available rooms (ARGH will that even be possible??)
*When my 2019 points are extended I will NOT be able to see the points online NOR will I be able to book the reservation myself - I will have to call MS.

My DH is now saying that he really doesn't want to go in Aug and would like the trip pushed...especially since our Bahamas trip in Oct was just cancelled by Sandals.

I guess my best bet is to roll the dice and take a chance by cancelling my Aug trip, put the 216 pts back into my account and then wait until the extension happens and then TRY to rebook something for Oct/Nov (prior to the 30th)

If you have some other points you can use to secure now...that doesn’t require borrowing, you can book something.

Then when they are available first week in September, you can call and they will reallocate into the reservation.

About all you can do at this point.

I had 122 banked October 2018 points that I had originally used for a late-March stay that was cancelled. I rebooked a stay for Aug 29-Sept 7 before they ‘extended’ the Oct UY (as a back-up before they expired). I also used 6 2019 points and 25 borrowed 2020 points for that booking. I called MS this morning to see what my options were, and was told that if I cancelled (which I did):
- The borrowed points would be returned to my 2020 UY immediately (they have been)
- I would see the 122 2018 banked points and 6 2019 points in my account for the Oct 2019 UY, but I wouldn’t be able to bank the 6 2019 points or use any of them (at this point) for post Sept 30 reservations.
- At the beginning of Oct, I would see the 6 2019 UY points automatically bank into 2020
- At that point, I would no longer see the 122 banked 2018 points in my account, but I would be able to call MS and they would see them (like “transferred” points) and would be able to allocate them to an existing reservation that I have in November (freeing up some 2020 points).

The CM told me just to sit tight and there is nothing for me to do until October. Feels like a bit of a leap of faith, but seems consistent with some of the reports above. Is that rights?? If any one has had another experience or if I am missing anything, please let me know!!
When I called back this morning THIS ^^ is what I was told - apparently I got someone "uninformed" last night...

so, now I either keep Aug and hope all is well, or I cancel and wait until my Sept UY pts are extended and then scramble to find some available dates from when the pts are extended until Nov. 30th..

This is TOTALLY messing with my preplanning personality!!

This is consistent with what I was told. The only difference is that I already have another reservation in November using Oct 2020 UY points, and I was told that Inwould be able to call the first week of October and “re-allocate” the banked 2018 points to the reservation to free I’m my 2020 points.

If you have some other points you can use to secure now...that doesn’t require borrowing, you can book something.

Then when they are available first week in September, you can call and they will reallocate into the reservation.

About all you can do at this point.
Yeah, you would think I'd have other points, but the cancelled June trip was rebooked to Dec using other points and then I have a Feb. 2021 trip booked already too...

so I have 34 in 2019 left and then 48 2020 points...

I have spend-a-cities for my points!

Yeah, you would think I'd have other points, but the cancelled June trip was rebooked to Dec using other points and then I have a Feb. 2021 trip booked already too...

so I have 34 in 2019 left and then 48 2020 points...

I have spend-a-cities for my points!

Enough to book one night? Anything is better than nothing? Just be sure it’s after the first week in October in case holding rules come back in play.

Enough to book one night? Anything is better than nothing? Just be sure it’s after the first week in October in case holding rules come back in play.
the 48 2020 would get me ONE night - but what would be the benefit of just having a reservation if "the holding rules come back in play"?

Would I get another extension bc I had a reservation vs. not having something?

We're in NC and DH is not going to go for a one night trip to Disney!

and if/when we decided to book something with the extended 2019 banked points then could I swap out the 2020 used points?

I wish there was an easy-speak Q&A handbook for all the options you can do/should do with your points!!

Can you write a book @Sandisw - you have ALL the answers!

the 48 2020 would get me ONE night - but what would be the benefit of just having a reservation if "the holding rules come back in play"?

Would I get another extension bc I had a reservation vs. not having something?

We're in NC and DH is not going to go for a one night trip to Disney!

and if/when we decided to book something with the extended 2019 banked points then could I swap out the 2020 used points?

I wish there was an easy-speak Q&A handbook for all the options you can do/should do with your points!!

Can you write a book @Sandisw - you have ALL the answers!

All it would do is ensure you’d have one night to reallocate those 2018 points extended.

But, if you can’t get others, then it may not be worth it. All your extended points will expire November 30th.

So, if you cancel August and wait it out, then you will be hoping for something to be there 6 weeks out.

It is a tough call. The sure way to use up most of them is to keep August..or, be prepared to go a few nights in a cabin or bungalow as those might still be there in September! Lol

All it would do is ensure you’d have one night to reallocate those 2018 points extended.

But, if you can’t get others, then it may not be worth it. All your extended points will expire November 30th.

So, if you cancel August and wait it out, then you will be hoping for something to be there 6 weeks out.

It is a tough call. The sure way to use up most of them is to keep August..or, be prepared to go a few nights in a cabin or bungalow as those might still be there in September! Lol
ARGH! Now, Im talking to Brittany and she's telling me the same wrong/different/incorrect information that the MS told me last night - that if I cancel Aug the points may not go back to the ended dates since Aug is NOT impacted!

its like I would then have 206 pts that would have to be used by Aug 30th and 34 that would be extended until Nov. 30th.

I just want ONE rule, not a different one told to me each time I call..

She has me on hold and she's talking to a supervisor...stay tuned!

so frustrating!

OK - just to keep you updated on what I'm hearing now is that if I cancel the Aug trip that was booked with the 2019 banked 2018 points those 216 points will NOT be extended, just the 34 pts that I have sitting in available right now.

and I had her clarify because that means, I will have 2 "groups" of points from the same year with different use dates:

34 pts with an extended use date of Nov. 30th
216 pts with an original use date of Aug 30th

this is complete craziness - I've called 4 times over the last week and gotten 4 different answers basically!

and what if I had cancelled my Aug dates with the first MS this morning and then come the first week of Sept they only moved 34 pts and then I had LOST the 216 pts bc it was past the original banking date of July 18th since they were never on the table to be extended??

ARGH!!!

I want the name of your MS agent @FinnFogg so I can get your answers!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter