Being a Disney Fan and Single...not easy!

I understand this thread--everyone one at work thinks I'm crazy for going to Disney 2-3 a year as a single woman with no children. It's an easy, fun vacation, what can I say?

I'm not sure that someone's like or dislike of Disney/parks/etc. would affect my dating life, since I don't have one :)

I understand this thread--everyone one at work thinks I'm crazy for going to Disney 2-3 a year as a single woman with no children. It's an easy, fun vacation, what can I say?

I'm not sure that someone's like or dislike of Disney/parks/etc. would affect my dating life, since I don't have one :)

Amusing way to put it, but at least women are more likely to get a pass than men. I personally don't care what others think of me. Everyone who meets me either loves me or hates me, usually the former, but they never forget me.

Amusing way to put it, but at least women are more likely to get a pass than men. I personally don't care what others think of me. Everyone who meets me either loves me or hates me, usually the former, but they never forget me.

Women are more likely to get a pass? About what? Liking Disney, sure, but being single and a certain age, definitely not. So, we're equal here. LOL

Women are more likely to get a pass? About what? Liking Disney, sure, but being single and a certain age, definitely not. So, we're equal here. LOL

I meant specifically Disney. Sorry about the lack of clarity. For some reason, guys get a funny look for being interested in solo trips to theme parks in general, but moreso Disney. Still, I think you gotta be yourself, no matter how many funny looks you get.

The question I get immediately when someone finds out how often I go to WDW is "oh you have kids?". Um no, I'm a 39 year old single woman who loves WDW. Luckily my family and best friend love to go as well so I constantly have a travel companion. I have never met another man who loves WDW as much as me, except maybe my dad.

The question I get immediately when someone finds out how often I go to WDW is "oh you have kids?". Um no, I'm a 39 year old single woman who loves WDW. Luckily my family and best friend love to go as well so I constantly have a travel companion. I have never met another man who loves WDW as much as me, except maybe my dad.

Always the assumption, and Disney doesn't even teach travel agents that. They teach it has something for everyone.

Some people just don't know what they're missing! I have lots of friends who went like, once when they were 12, and they think it's lame. I think they need to give it a try as an adult! I've converted like 6 of my friends to the Disney lifestyle, lol. My husband isn't a fanatic but he does go with me, and he has fun when he's there. He's not a "ride" person (still can't wrap my head around that but I know I'm more adventurous than him) but he really enjoyed the Food & Wine Festival. Go solo, go to some meetups! Also there's lots of Disney fans at DragonCon so that's another way to meet people.

People at my job got used to it, haha. Also, it's not scary to go to Disney alone. I would love to also do something like a solo backpacking trip, but I've yet to work up the courage.

Some people just don't know what they're missing! I have lots of friends who went like, once when they were 12, and they think it's lame. I think they need to give it a try as an adult! I've converted like 6 of my friends to the Disney lifestyle, lol. My husband isn't a fanatic but he does go with me, and he has fun when he's there. He's not a "ride" person (still can't wrap my head around that but I know I'm more adventurous than him) but he really enjoyed the Food & Wine Festival. Go solo, go to some meetups! Also there's lots of Disney fans at DragonCon so that's another way to meet people.

Probably cause Atlanta is 8 hours away.

People at my job got used to it, haha. Also, it's not scary to go to Disney alone. I would love to also do something like a solo backpacking trip, but I've yet to work up the courage.

Yeah, that takes a little more planning. I want to semi-backpack my way through India and Nepal. Btw, you should look into Adventures by Disney. May be a good fit for you, and they have some adults only trips.

You should do it. My most recent one was a six-day solo hiking trip out in Utah in May. It's not as challenging as it might seem. Saw lots of lots solo female hikers/backpackers while I was there - safety always comes up as a concern, but you can find well-traveled trails if isolation is an issue (particularly in the national parks) or find a tour that goes out. Lots of those too.

You're not alone on this one, I'm gay but it's tough finding someone who loves Disney just as much as I do. Screw that LGBT forum section it's full of fakes and stuck ups.

You're not alone on this one, I'm gay but it's tough finding someone who loves Disney just as much as I do. Screw that LGBT forum section it's full of fakes and stuck ups.
It doesn't matter gay or straight, finding someone to appreciate the things you enjoy should not be that difficult. However, we live in a country (I don't want to say world because I don't have experience dating other women from other countries) that is very judgemental in my opinion. We need to get passed this somehow.

A lot of fakes and flakes period, but some good people out there too.

It doesn't matter gay or straight, finding someone to appreciate the things you enjoy should not be that difficult. However, we live in a country (I don't want to say world because I don't have experience dating other women from other countries) that is very judgemental in my opinion. We need to get passed this somehow.

I do have some experience with international dating, and it depends on both country and person. My experience is that westerners tend to be a bit more elitest, but some countries can be judgemental for other reasons. I have actually had good connections with a couple of Indian women but it didn't go anywhere due to excessive distance(and I can handle long distance), but the flip side is I also had a problem with an overly controlling Indian woman years ago, so I just judge everyone for who they are, and if I can accept that on a personal level.

Although I have a quality life and so much to be thankful, I find myself empty when it comes to relationships. I have such a passion for Disney for a number of reasons. However, after going on a second date with this girl who is very nice just didn't seem to understand or try to understand the passion I have for Disney. Needless to say, when I dropped her home she was no longer interested. Not sure if this had anything to do with it but she definitely had no interest in Disney.

The way I look at it is that the person I am with doesn't have to love Disney like I do. But needs to show some kind of interest in what I ENJOY! As I would do the same in return.

Sorry for my rant but I'm just a little disappointed because I liked this girl. As I get older it gets more difficult to find someone you can connect with on all levels.

Well have a good night everyone! If you read this and can offer any advice or comments it is appreciated.

Thank you!

Something to keep in mind is that people grow and change over time. I first brought up wanting to go to Disney to my husband before we were even married. We didn't go until our third anniversary, and that was only briefly. However- he liked it. We hit up DL when we were on the westcoast this year and he suprised me by saying he liked DW more. Doesn't spend as much time exploring as I do, but still enjoys it & we are planning a christmas/birthday trip for him later this year. I don't think either of us expected this for us, and we definitely don't tell people about it, but it is what we like for right now. As people, we are constantly growing and changing and developing new interests- and that's how I like it.

Worry about connecting with a partner on deeper, more basic levels-life goals, who scrubs the shower, world views, respect, communication skills, etc. The rest really is transient. Understanding a parter's passions and interests is usually developed over time, as you gain a deeper appreciation for the person they are. Unless Disney is the ONLY travel you have done, will do, or want to do, it doesn't need to be a big deal. Most adults have never been and honestly don't know what it is or how they would experience it. It's part of who you are for this moment in time, and you enjoy it. Embrace that with pride but don't make it a focal point of compatability.

Dating sucks, and I really feel for you. Just keep doing you, & eventually someone will click into your life. Love really is often found in the least expected places. Maybe you'll even have a little holiday magic this year on your trip!

Last edited:
Cindy...I consider myself a gentleman but it's difficult to find the one for you. I actually feel the same way about women. There are hardly any women that are single with honesty and truthfulness. I've been doing the online dating thing and they write one thing, say the same thing on the phone and then bam something happens after the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd date. It's like they just want a free night out. I always pay, but lately the women I go on dates with don't even offer. For me that is telling.
ah, I don't think that women just want a free night out (most don't). We're just hoping to find a good connection like anyone else. There was a good article in the paper in the other day that kind of explains why women don't even offer anymore and it details how a lot of times guys stick us with the whole bill even if the women didn't order much. I honestly don't go for the wallet reach anymore. This may not be a popular opinion and call me old fashion but if a guy doesn't offer to pay on the first date, he's not getting a second. It usually signals to me that they're not that interested in a relationship. Although I always suggest coffee or tea for first date because its cheap and if the date sucks you can get out of there fast. I don't think going to dinner for a first date is a good idea. Mini golf is another good inexpensive option. There was an article in the post detailing how people are going on more first dates then ever, so all the more reason to go on a short cheap coffee date. A guy I was seeing for a bit in the spring, he was a total gentlemen. He paid for the first date and the second date I offered he refused and continued to on other dates. He finally let me pay when we had a picnic because I planned it. He always walked me to my car, always held the door for me, was incredibly polite, etc. I can't tell you how much this stuck out in my mind of how much he was a total gentlemen. It was so refreshing, which made it really suck when he ghosted (different guy than the other one I mentioned who ghosted me, yes it's happened to me more than my fair share). :-\

ah, I don't think that women just want a free night out (most don't). We're just hoping to find a good connection like anyone else. There was a good article in the paper in the other day that kind of explains why women don't even offer anymore and it details how a lot of times guys stick us with the whole bill even if the women didn't order much. I honestly don't go for the wallet reach anymore. This may not be a popular opinion and call me old fashion but if a guy doesn't offer to pay on the first date, he's not getting a second. It usually signals to me that they're not that interested in a relationship. Although I always suggest coffee or tea for first date because its cheap and if the date sucks you can get out of there fast. I don't think going to dinner for a first date is a good idea. Mini golf is another good inexpensive option. There was an article in the post detailing how people are going on more first dates then ever, so all the more reason to go on a short cheap coffee date. A guy I was seeing for a bit in the spring, he was a total gentlemen. He paid for the first date and the second date I offered he refused and continued to on other dates. He finally let me pay when we had a picnic because I planned it. He always walked me to my car, always held the door for me, was incredibly polite, etc. I can't tell you how much this stuck out in my mind of how much he was a total gentlemen. It was so refreshing, which made it really suck when he ghosted (different guy than the other one I mentioned who ghosted me, yes it's happened to me more than my fair share). :-\

A gentleman should pay, true, but a true gentleman would never ghost a woman. If he is no longer interested, the polite thing to do is call and tell her, if he can't to her face. Ghosting is cowardly. If you at least talk about it, there is a chance the friendship can be preserved.

I never heard of a guy sticking a woman with the whole bill. That is ridiculous in any case. However, I will agree that a man should pay on the first date and it doesn't need to be a dinner or anything expensive. The last two women I went on first date with were to min-golf and a walk around a town, which I packed a few snacks to surprise her. The snacks were strawberries, nuts, dark chocolate and water. These were things she spoke about while we were getting to know each other prior to our first date. She thought it was thoughtful, so we went on a second date. Here I think she was a little more interested and we went to dinner. However, something must have changed her mind throughout the night because she was not interested after that. Again, that is fine, but here is the problem...if a woman realizes she's not feeling it anymore then she should have offered. I would have still payed, but it would have been the right thing to do. The interesting thing is women are always talking about equality but yet the men are held to a certain expectation too. But this is never made a big deal.

A gentleman should pay, true, but a true gentleman would never ghost a woman. If he is no longer interested, the polite thing to do is call and tell her, if he can't to her face. Ghosting is cowardly. If you at least talk about it, there is a chance the friendship can be preserved.
I couldn't agree more with you Brad. If that guy was all nice and doing the right thing, the ghosting puts right back down to a non-gentleman. Definitely shady and cowardly. I would never do that to a woman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter