Being turned away at the port

If you test positive at the port they will retest the current sample again (they won't collect a new sample and test that). But they do retest at the port, I've seen that discussed by others on here.
I have read about them retesting the sample they have. My complaint would be that the sample they are retesting may have been contaminated so that is why they got a positive result. It would be better if they contacted you so you can prove a new sample to confirm your results.

I have read about them retesting the sample they have. My complaint would be that the sample they are retesting may have been contaminated so that is why they got a positive result. It would be better if they contacted you so you can prove a new sample to confirm your results.

They do not "retest" they just review the test results by a doctor to confirm the result. We asked them to retest and were told the CDC does not allow that. The doctor said as a courtesy he would review the test result himself, but they would not do a full retest or put through the same sample again.

If the test result is a false positive, it's very unlikely the sample is contaminated. The majority of false positive claims are likely because the subject had a previous COVID infection and the swab is picking up residual COVID virus left in the nasal cavity. That's why it's important to really clean your nose before testing. Independent of human error (which can always be rectified as long as the lab is following good practices) the next true cause of a false positive is the PCR machine cross reacting to something that is not SARS-CoV-2. It is highly unlikely a sample will return a false positive twice.

The thing I hate is that you can't cancel 15+ days out and get a refund, but if you cancel 14 days or under and say you had contact with someone who's positive you get a full refund (minus travel insurance)...so if my group decides this is too much to have to stress about and we want to cancel well ahead of time, we can't because we won't get our money back. But if we wait until 2 weeks before sailing all we have to do is say we had a positive case/contact and we get a refund. Wouldn't DCL want people to make those decisions ahead of time and save them the headache of guests being turned away at the port???

We've been trying to decide what to do since the last round of testing changes but we felt more confident a few weeks ago. Unfortunately we didn't make our decision before the last cut-off. Now we're more worried that we'd get a false positive as we have several people in our travel party and all but the 2 youngest are vaxxed. If we didn't have to test everyone at the port (just provide the proof of negative test prior to embarkation), it would be a different story and we'd still try to sail. Too many what-if's right now to feel confident we wouldn't be screwed over at the port :/

The thing I hate is that you can't cancel 15+ days out and get a refund, but if you cancel 14 days or under and say you had contact with someone who's positive you get a full refund (minus travel insurance)...so if my group decides this is too much to have to stress about and we want to cancel well ahead of time, we can't because we won't get our money back. But if we wait until 2 weeks before sailing all we have to do is say we had a positive case/contact and we get a refund. Wouldn't DCL want people to make those decisions ahead of time and save them the headache of guests being turned away at the port???

We've been trying to decide what to do since the last round of testing changes but we felt more confident a few weeks ago. Unfortunately we didn't make our decision before the last cut-off. Now we're more worried that we'd get a false positive as we have several people in our travel party and all but the 2 youngest are vaxxed. If we didn't have to test everyone at the port (just provide the proof of negative test prior to embarkation), it would be a different story and we'd still try to sail. Too many what-if's right now to feel confident we wouldn't be screwed over at the port :/
Agree that this policy is so weird. I guess they are hoping people will be less likely to cancel within the 14 days.

When do you cruise? I’m wondering if the 14 day covid cancellation rule applies to my January cruise or if it ends 12/31/21. Thanks.

I don't see a date specified on the Flexible Refund Policy

Flexible Refund Policy

Within 14 days of the sailing, booked Guests with COVID-19-related health concerns (symptoms or exposure) can receive a refund without Disney-imposed cancellation fees or apply their cruise fare toward a future sail date.
Important Details
  • Within 14 days prior to embarkation, Guests who experience one or more of the qualifying scenarios may change their sail date, under the following terms:
    • Guests who wish to change their sail date must move the sail date to a future sailing that commences prior to September 30, 2022.
    • Onboard Offer Blockout Dates apply
    • Future cruise credits cannot be applied to the Disney Wish maiden voyage, setting sail on June 9, 2022.
    • Guests cannot change their reservation back to the original sail date after taking advantage of this policy.
  • Qualifying scenarios include Guests who:
    • Have symptoms of COVID-19
    • Have a temperature of 100.4°F or greater
    • Have had known exposure to a person with COVID-19 within the previous 14 days
    • Have tested positive for COVID-19
  • Guests who do not wish to select a new sail date will be provided a refund without Disney-imposed cancellation fees in their original form of payment.
  • Guests who experience one or more of the qualifying scenarios on the day of Embarkation will be denied boarding. Guests who are denied boarding will receive a Denied Boarding Voucher for the full amount of their sailing or a refund without Disney-imposed cancellation fees.
  • Please note that travel insurance and cancellation fees imposed by third-party suppliers, including airlines, are not refundable.
  • Once on board, Guests who are subject to mandatory quarantine or who test positive for COVID-19 will receive a pro-rated voucher for a future cruise or a pro-rated refund.
DCL rep confirmed that if we cancel 15+ days out, even with a Covid-related issue, we would be subject to the cancellation fee meaning we would forfeit 75% of our vacation price. Inside 14 days with a Covid-related issue and we'd get a full refund.

Flexible Refund Policy

Within 14 days of the sailing, booked Guests with COVID-19-related health concerns (symptoms or exposure) can receive a refund without Disney-imposed cancellation fees or apply their cruise fare toward a future sail date.
Important Details
  • Within 14 days prior to embarkation, Guests who experience one or more of the qualifying scenarios may change their sail date, under the following terms:
    • Guests who wish to change their sail date must move the sail date to a future sailing that commences prior to September 30, 2022.
    • Onboard Offer Blockout Dates apply
    • Future cruise credits cannot be applied to the Disney Wish maiden voyage, setting sail on June 9, 2022.
    • Guests cannot change their reservation back to the original sail date after taking advantage of this policy.
  • Qualifying scenarios include Guests who:
    • Have symptoms of COVID-19
    • Have a temperature of 100.4°F or greater
    • Have had known exposure to a person with COVID-19 within the previous 14 days
    • Have tested positive for COVID-19
  • Guests who do not wish to select a new sail date will be provided a refund without Disney-imposed cancellation fees in their original form of payment.
  • Guests who experience one or more of the qualifying scenarios on the day of Embarkation will be denied boarding. Guests who are denied boarding will receive a Denied Boarding Voucher for the full amount of their sailing or a refund without Disney-imposed cancellation fees.
  • Please note that travel insurance and cancellation fees imposed by third-party suppliers, including airlines, are not refundable.
  • Once on board, Guests who are subject to mandatory quarantine or who test positive for COVID-19 will receive a pro-rated voucher for a future cruise or a pro-rated refund.
DCL rep confirmed that if we cancel 15+ days out, even with a Covid-related issue, we would be subject to the cancellation fee meaning we would forfeit 75% of our vacation price. Inside 14 days with a Covid-related issue and we'd get a full refund.
No mention of a date unfortunately…

No mention of a date unfortunately…

Sorry, I misread your previous reply. I'm assuming this policy is just going to be in effect until they change it again. The only policies with specific dates for cruises sailing in 2022 are the Relaxed Cancellation Fee Schedule:

Relaxed Cancellation Fee Schedule

For sailings through March 31, 2022, the cancellation fee schedule has been temporarily relaxed.
Important Details
  • For sailings through March 31, 2022, the cancellation fee schedule has been temporarily relaxed from beginning as early as 119 days prior to sailing to beginning 59 days prior to sailing for Guests booked in non-Suite and non-Concierge categories. For Guests booked in Suite and Concierge categories, cancellation fees in excess of the deposit amount will temporarily begin at 59 days prior to sailing.
  • Reservations for Inside, Outside and Verandah Categories with Restrictions remain nonrefundable and nontransferable.
Temporary Policy: Cancellation Fee Schedule – Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is my cancellation fee if I am booked on a sailing on or before March 31, 2022 and I choose to cancel within 60 days prior to my sail date?

A. We are temporarily relaxing our cruise cancellation fee schedule for sailings through March 31, 2022, as described below.

Cruises 1 to 5 Nights (Excluding Suites and Concierge Staterooms)
Days Prior to Vacation Commencement DateFee Amount
60 days or moreNo fee
59 – 45 daysDeposit per Guest
44 – 30 days50% of vacation price per Guest
29 – 15 days75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest

Cruises 6 Nights or More (Excluding Suites and Concierge Staterooms)
60 days or moreNo fee
59 – 56 daysDeposit per Guest
55 – 30 days50% of vacation price per Guest

Suites and Concierge Staterooms
60 days or moreDeposit per Guest
59 – 56 days50% of vacation price per Guest
55 – 30 days75% of vacation price per Guest
29 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest

Summer 2021 UK Disney Magic at Sea Sailings (Excluding Suites and Concierge Staterooms)

30 days or moreNo fee

Summer 2021 UK Disney Magic at Sea Sailings (Suites and Concierge Staterooms)

30 days or moreDeposit per Guest
29 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest

Categories with Restrictions
Reservations for Inside, Outside or Verandah Categories with Restrictions remain nonrefundable and nontransferable.

The thing I hate is that you can't cancel 15+ days out and get a refund,

This is true but if you booked before 7/31/21 and your cruise is before 12/31/21, you can move the cruise to next year without penalty. I know it’s not as good as a refund but if you’re uncomfortable with sailing right now it’s better than nothing.

This is true but if you booked before 7/31/21 and your cruise is before 12/31/21, you can move the cruise to next year without penalty. I know it’s not as good as a refund but if you’re uncomfortable with sailing right now it’s better than nothing.

That's what I was hoping the other people in our group would go for and I've been trying to get them to commit to, but they'd rather have their money back :( We have another (non-Disney) vacation booked next year with them and unfortunately they won't have the vacation time to cover two trips

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter