• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BLM teaches kids racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the laws which codified racial discrimination have been removed, and many other laws to prevent racial discrimination have been passed.

But it would be laughably naive to claim that racism and racial discrimination no longer exist. Both are alive and well, unfortunately.
To expand on this: The legacies of previous laws don't go away overnight. There is a strong correlation between growing up in poverty and being in poverty as an adult (good article on the subject: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/rich-kids-stay-rich-poor-kids-stay-poor/) and we are still seeing the legacy of overturned discriminatory laws today.

To expand on this: The legacies of previous laws don't go away overnight. There is a strong correlation between growing up in poverty and being in poverty as an adult (good article on the subject: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/rich-kids-stay-rich-poor-kids-stay-poor/) and we are still seeing the legacy of overturned discriminatory laws today.
I agree with you on the legacy of discrimination, but it's more complicated than that.

I tell people all the time: "If you want to see the 'American Dream' in action, come to Miami and visit Little Haiti."

Here's the situation of Haitians arriving in Miami in the early days (1980-1982):
  • They were here illegally.
  • They had no money or clothes beyond what they were wearing.
  • They had no family here (unlike generations of Cubans)
  • They had no job skills. Most of them had never held a "job."
  • Most of them had never set foot in either a classroom or a doctor's office.
  • Most of them could not read or write their own language -- they were illiterate.
  • They did not speak or understand English.
  • They did not speak or understand Spanish unless they lived on the border with the Dominican Republic.
  • They spoke a language that nobody else in Miami spoke.
  • They had never ridden a bicycle, much less driven a car.
  • They were simple people -- easy prey for scams, exploitation, and depredation
  • And...they were black.
Other than that, the Haitians had the world by the tail!

Come to Miami and see the amazing things they have accomplished -- and you will see what is possible when you have all the laws, and all the circumstances of life, arrayed against you.

Can't ride a bike? Fine. Drive a cab and support your family.

Can't read or write? Go to school.
Then go to college.
Then go to law school, or medical school.
And then move back to Little Haiti to open your practice.

Come to Miami and visit Little Haiti. Akeyi!

The problem is you are looking for blatant racism. Systemic racism is subtle.

So no, you won't find a written policy that states a school or school system won't hire black teachers. But when you walk through school after school within a community full of black students but there are very few(if any) black teachers and administrators, that's systemic racism.

You won't find a written policy that states AP classes are only for white students and the regular classes are for black students. However, a look at the racial make up of those classes year after year speaks to systemic racism.

You won't find a law that states blacks will face harsher prison sentences for committed the same crime as a white person, but they do. That is systemic racism.

When you have study after study that shows that standardized test tend to be culturally bias, yet we continue to use them for school admissions and class placement, that is systemic racism.
That is your perception. My perception is different. I would like to see how many minorities applied before I would call out racism just to call out racism. Just because there are not blacks in a certain individual job in an individual workplace does not mean it is automatically racism.

The UK arm of BLM is a little more direct in their intentions. I dont want to link to them as I have no intention of promoting them, but if you Google UK BLM gofundme you will find their fund rasing page.

On there they mention how they intend to end "imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world. We build deep relationships across the diaspora and strategise to challenge the rise of the authoritarian right-wing across the world"

So yeah. Sure passes the duck test of being political to me.

Iv seen elsewhere but I can't remember where that they want a redistribution of wealth (reparations) and for all black prisoners to be released.

I just spent 30 minutes perusing the BLM website and fail to see anything concerning or unexpected about their goals. The “What We Believe” page was just a wordy way of saying they support all black people regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, immigration status, age, disability, etc. Not sure what would be off-putting about inclusionary ideals like that. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Oh well, at least I got a chance to sign the petition while I was there.

I got curious and read it myself. I really didn't see anything alaming in it either. They say they want justice for black people, and "by extension all people" but that they need not qualify it. There's nothing wronng with that. It was even inclusive of sexual orientation and gender issues. It didn;t seem unsavory or anything.

That is your perception. My perception is different. I would like to see how many minorities applied before I would call out racism just to call out racism. Just because there are not blacks in a certain individual job in an individual workplace does not mean it is automatically racism.
There have been a number of studies that show applications with black or other ethnic sounding names are interviewed and hired at much lower rates than white sounding names or backgrounds

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/09/11/1706255114
https://cos.gatech.edu/facultyres/Diversity_Studies/Bertrand_LakishaJamal.pdf
https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/minorities-who-whiten-job-resumes-get-more-interviews

Discriminatory treatment begins in elementary school with the school to prison pipelines. Where black and Hispanic children, particularly boys and those with disabilities are subjected to harsher punishments for their white peers. This includes involving the police for discipline issues.

in the criminal justice system black and Hispanic people are sentenced to longer sentences for the same crimes even when normed for things like previous criminal records. The prime example of this is the brock turner case vs Corey Batey case. Both charged with rape, both had witnesses, one was sentenced to 6 months and one 15-25 years.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324432004578304463789858002
Also look up the term disparate impact which is when laws or policies that appear race neutral on their face are either not applied in a neutral manner or or are actually written in a way that favors one race over another (guess which race is favored??)

Last edited:

We shouldn't advocate for censorship.
You're right... the jews were terrible people and deserved to die at the hands of Uncle Adolf. When will the stupid die off. People that cannot understand basic English should stay off discussion boards. I'll bet they all go to church every Sunday as well. It such a basically simple statement that even the dumbest of us should be able to understand unless, of course, they really don't believe that black lives matter. When you folks say White lives matter, do you mean that only white lives matter? A simple question and if your answer is yes, then you are a bigot. If you say no, then you understand what those simple three words mean.

I learned something from the "What We Believe" page above.

I'd always thought BLM was primarily concerned with correcting police misconduct and what they consider discriminatory targeting of black people by police. Those are legitimate issues, and as a retired law enforcement officer I support correcting those kinds of issues where they exist.

The hard part is that those are local issues and really can best be solved locally. They are real problems in places like Minneapolis (for many years) and Atlanta (for many years). And interesingly, the politicians who run those cities -- the same politicians who have done absolutely nothing to fix things -- and now leading the "Defund the Police" chants.

Seattle? Portland? In 25 years in law enforcement, I never heard any such complaints about those agencies, so the chaos there makes little sense to me.

However, instead of seeming to be focused where I thought they were, BLM seems to have greatly broadened their goals to include many other things...some of which really surprised me. They seem to have gone off on a completely different path than I think most people realize.

Which parts surprised or concerned you? You say you think people would be surprised, but haven't actually said why.

It's not about how many minorities applied for a specific job. It's that many minorities don't even have the opportunity to apply for a job because of poverty, lack of access to education, career development, etc. Ask yourself why no minorities applied for that position. That's systemic racism. If you simply look at the people who applied and say "well, no minorities applied so there's no racism!" you are most definitely not seeing the whole picture.

It’s clear that some posters do not understand the definition of “systemic racism”.
It’s the inherent bias that’s subtly woven into the fabric of our society.

Opportunities for minorities have improved but have not yet reached parity.

We have much work to do.

It’s clear that some posters do not understand the definition of “systemic racism”.
It’s the inherent bias that’s subtly woven into the fabric of our society.

Opportunities for minorities have improved but have not yet reached parity.

We have much work to do.

Yes, this. It's similar with women. You can say "well no women applied for the computer programmer job so I couldn't hire one! That's not sexism!" without examining why there were no women who applied in the first place.

This was an interesting example last week-

I'm working on a job site and there are a bunch of different contractors working at the same time to finish a new store. Painters, electricians, tile guys, doors, and a few others coming thru. Twice I overheard dog whistle conversations start. One started with asking about statues, the other about Columbus because the hospital was mentioned. Both quickly moved on to BLM, rattling off a bunch of unfactual statements and condescending agreement that black people are a problem. These conversations were mostly between white people who had ancestors come here generations ago and illegal immigrants from Mexico and Guatemala.

^This is systemic racism in the US. This is the focus that black people are less, do not belong, and they all suck. They don't know many black people because they intentionally do not mix with them. This is a contagious bias that gets reinforced in their minds and brought home to share with their family and children. This is in a bleeding heart liberal city too.

Seriously. How does this stuff that goes on day after day all over not affect the lives of black people? The US has a nasty problem of perpetuating bias against black people, ingrained into the collective consciousness. The bias against black people is in a league of its own. If people can't see how it affects the treatment of black people in all kind of everyday societal functions, then I don't know what I can say that's going to change their understanding other than "I don't agree."

Do believe criminal justice system needs reform, absolutely. Some of that may be individual racism also, such as individual police and judges who hand out sentences. But needs complete overhaul. Also some mention standardized testing etc being racist? How do we improve test scores or why are they lower should be the focus for me, but if not explain bc I don't see racism in it. Just read old article about Asians suing Harvard a few yrs back, google this, bc Harvard adds points to blacks and Hispanics, blacks getting the highest amount of points, to test scores to help get them into their school, but actually deduct Asians, who excel at tests. Asian men make the most money according to stats, more than white men, and Asian women make more than white women. What can we learrn from that? I also believe in helping women bc women also make less than men, is that systemic? black women being primary bread winners in many black households make the least. Many jobs held by women pay low and shouldn't. Example home health aide. Aides also in nursing homes where my father was was an important and hard job, most there were black women and their pay was not great. They deserve more for that work. But even BLM seems to not want to push or ignores parents staying together, their site says instead having communities support kids, which is good also, but studies show kids from intact families do better, stay in school etc. But felonies or being jailed longer or for minor drug charges doesn't help.

These things may help. https://iwpr.org/wp-content/uploads/wpallimport/files/iwpr-export/publications/Q054.pdf I am a big believer that helping women is important as this shows. This is a complex issue but helping women, who also deal with systemic sexism, as women are the primary bread winners in the black community. Black women earn the least of anyone. This article shows that unions, access to childcare, raising minimum wage and wages of jobs that women hold such as health aides etc. Access to birth control. Staying in school. Putting money into poorer schools, totally support. Encouraging families to stay together, I know this is not politically correct but there are many studies that show this is important. Totally rehauling and studying the criminal justice systemic from top to bottom including legalizing marijuana etc. Selling pot is a felony how do you get a job just as an example. I read that many people that can't afford bail stay in jail for long periods it is crazy and sad. Making sure kids have access to healthy food and water may help with test scores. Changing how the testing is done if this is an actual issue, or finding out how to improve the scores. I watched the show with Jac Efron on Netflix shows how France has healthy water stations everywhere. They do not use chlorine but keep the healthy minerals in the water and how important that is. We all saw what happened in Flint, just inexcusable. Voting for these things. All these things can help.

Last edited:
And now we see more of the video before Floyd died where he said he can’t breath how agitated he was before when he was in the car. When he said put me on the ground yet again the full picture had been ignored, black lives matter is using blackmail and threats to companies over 30 peopl3 have died in riots and hundreds of black owned businesses have been destroyed for no good reason. From what I can see there is now evidence to give reasonable doubt to murder not only that with the couple (who under law had the right to show guns to a mob) hand3d a gun over that was inoperable this gun was then taken apart and put back together in a way that made it fireable that is evidence tampering. So to appease a mob two groups of police are being tried for murder and a couple for gun charges all while mayors are tell8ng rioters go ahead do what you want while telling cops no protective cloth8mg to keep them safe. Also greats to feds who where stopping people from setting fire to federal buildings all while they where being called stormtroopers at

So you would be ok if you and your children were treated the way black Americans are treated in this country?

Absolutely not. One reason why the push back is so strong is that many folks are afraid that significant change means the tables will turn. While they scream that systemic racism isn't an issue, they wouldn't be willing to deal with it themselves or have their children subjected to it.

The oppressed becomes the oppressor. In Pedagogy of the Oppressed Paulo Freire wrote “The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors.” “Liberation is thus a childbirth, and a painful one.” “The oppressed want at any cost to resemble the oppressors.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter