Breonna Taylor Grand Jury report

Things don’t change because we have a bunch of political people claiming there is no race problem in America. Not because it’s a complex situation. And putting a price on cameras is making its own point. Policing our communities began based on racism in our country. Let’s acknowledge the system fails and try to fix it. “It’s hard” isn’t an answer either. “Doing nothing” isn’t an answer. You and I agree anyone can burn things down. When government starts focusing more on WHY people are doing it things will begin to change. WHY are people rioting? Maybe they don’t feel heard? They don’t have the power to chang things? We focus more on the wrongs than the solutions. I’m not implying rioting is okay, I’m stating I understand why.

This would apply to the southern states, the states that had slaves. The northern states didn't have slaves so this doesn't apply to that area of our country.

My family didn't come to this country until the beginning of the 20th century so I don't consider myself part of the history of our country that condoned such behavior as slavery. My grandparents came to this country as indentured servants, a form of slavery so you see it just didn't/doesn't happen to people of color. Oh by they way, we are ALL people of color, white, black, brown, yellow, tan, pink.... and we all matter.

Unfortunately slavery still continues in parts of the world today. It's not a novel idea and it's certainly not unique to our country only. Actually slavery (human bondage) most likely still goes on in this country today. When you see/saw those photos of young girls coming over the southern boarder in trucks don't you wonder how they were going to survive in this country once they got here? Who was going to watch out for them and be responsible for them? My guess is they had a debt to pay once they got here. Very sad, there are people so desperate to get to this country, the land of opportunity that they are will to risk all but our own citizens don't see just how lucky they are to be here.

People speak of inequality but fail to realize nothing is truly fair in life. There are no guarantees in life. We each have to do the best we can with the gifts we have been given by our creator and if we work hard enough we can do very well in this country. Just look around you at all the successful people in this country from ALL races. Being white is no guarantee that you are going to have an easy life. White people have to work just as hard as anybody else to make it in this world.

I can assure you that nobody gave me anything that I didn't work hard to get. But I was lucky because I had a good family upbringing as a child. I had a mom and a dad that cared for me and my siblings and stayed together and did right by all of us. This is probably one of the most important things that people of every race and socioeconomic background should consider when having children; the importance of family, taking responsibility of the children we bring into the world.

My husband served in the Vietnam War, when he got home he had a very hard time finding a job. He had three major strikes against him, he was white (equal rights movement), he was male (equal rights for women) and he was a Vietnam vet (all Vietnam vets were considered drug users). But persistence paid off and my husband finally landed a job where he was able to work his way up the line to VP of more than one company. He did this through hard work, many, many hours of hard work, persistence and belief in himself. So you see nothing comes for free and life isn't fair, life is what we make of it.

A different situation, yes, as a crime was in process. But there are some similarities with the lack of firearm control by an officer, and the fact there was an innocent person in the line of fire. And at that moment, no matter what other things that she may or may not have done, Taylor was innocent. She was in her bed asleep; she was not resisting arrest, she was not armed. Suspicion of a crime doesn't give an officer the right to shoot her.
First, she was not asleep in her bed. She was standing next to her BF who shot at the officers. Yes, she was innocent and did not deserve to be shot. But, it's 1AM, Taylor & BF are standing at the end of a (presumably) dark hallway. The BF shoots at the officers. Do you think they shouldn't have returned fire? Should the shooting have happened? I think, once you get to that point (police storming into the apartment and they are fired upon, it is not unreasonable for them to fire back. You can argue all you want about whether the warrent was necessary or should have been conducted differently, or if the officers should have been marked as police officers or wearing body cameras. To me, none of that should factor in on whether charges are filed against the officers.
The media shows her in an EMT uniform to paint the picture they want
The medis shows her in an EMT uniform becuase that's the picture the family gave them.

This would apply to the southern states, the states that had slaves. The northern states didn't have slaves so this doesn't apply to that area of our country.
Almost every state had slaves, and those that didn't had indentured servants. Here is an interesting map that shows how slavery changed over time in America:

600px-US_Slave_Free_1789-1861.gif

First, she was not asleep in her bed. She was standing next to her BF who shot at the officers. Yes, she was innocent and did not deserve to be shot. But, it's 1AM, Taylor & BF are standing at the end of a (presumably) dark hallway. The BF shoots at the officers. Do you think they shouldn't have returned fire? Should the shooting have happened? I think, once you get to that point (police storming into the apartment and they are fired upon, it is not unreasonable for them to fire back. You can argue all you want about whether the warrent was necessary or should have been conducted differently, or if the officers should have been marked as police officers or wearing body cameras. To me, none of that should factor in on whether charges are filed against the officers.

The medis shows her in an EMT uniform becuase that's the picture the family gave them.
I'm wondering if they could have backed out of the apartment.

I think until you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes you don't truly know what it's like to be that person. I have never been anything but white (that I can remember unless you believe in reincarnation) so I don't know what it's like to be a person of another race but I would venture to guess neither do you, those who aren't white and just assume it a bowl of cherries over here on the white side of the fence. Guess again, it ain't easy being white. I have been hearing about how bad I am for being white for as long as I can remember. Well guess what, I'm just fine. You can think what you want but I know in my heart of hearts that I'm not racist and I haven't done anything that I need to be ashamed of to any person of another race.

I also know that not just white people can be racist. Racism goes both ways. There are plenty of people from other races who hate white people just because they are white. Well what I say to that is two wrongs don't make a right...

Did they have time? I believe it's been stated the BF shot first (hitting an officer).
That's what I mean, after they encountered someone shooting, they were in a position to back up. And I assume the one who fired from outside the apartment did that.

And really, Walker fired one shot and was not hit by the return fire. So what does that mean?

That's what I mean, after they encountered someone shooting, they were in a position to back up. And I assume the one who fired from outside the apartment did that.
I assume the one who shot from outside the apartment never made it IN the apartment.

And really, Walker fired one shot and was not hit by the return fire. So what does that mean?
The officers went to Storm Trooper Academy to learn how to shoot? (it's a joke people). The BF ducked? Had better cover? That's actually a very good question.

One thing that bothers me... presumably the couple is in bed together. They hear someone breakdown the door, the BF gets out of bed, grabs a gun, and goes out to confront the intruders. Why does Taylor go with him? Wouldn't the smarter thing to be hunker in the bedroom? ETA: I'm not saying she deserved to be shot for this at all. It's just a question I have.

I assume the one who shot from outside the apartment never made it IN the apartment.

The officers went to Storm Trooper Academy to learn how to shoot? (it's a joke people). The BF ducked? Had better cover? That's actually a very good question.

One thing that bothers me... presumably the couple is in bed together. They hear someone breakdown the door, the BF gets out of bed, grabs a gun, and goes out to confront the intruders. Why does Taylor go with him? Wouldn't the smarter thing to be hunker in the bedroom? ETA: I'm not saying she deserved to be shot for this at all. It's just a question I have.
It sounds to me like they thought it was the ex boyfriend and she went to head him off. But that's just my guess.

One does not think when they are in that kind of danger - they react. Without real training in a specific situation, none of us knows what we would do there. Was it logical? No. The logical thing to do would be to secure the gun and retreat to a corner together, ready to defend that small position. But you have to train yourself to actually do that.

Well, I don't have all the answers, but I do know that the officers executing that warrant as they did over something as minor as thinking this guy might be getting drugs delivered at his ex's apartment should be wholly improper. They should have had more surveilance and intel at the very least and should have been clearly identifiable as police officers as well (I'm thinking those vests that asy POLICE in white letters across the front). It just doesn't sit well with me the way things went down and clearly I'm not alone.

Do you mean like this?

I assume that means, instead of doing what any man would do and have his girl friend out of harms way. she was at least even with him or in front of him. and i thought that right away, and cant even imagine a dude letting that happen to a girl. I know. i know it was dark and chaotic. but if i had a gun, i would tell my lady to stay in the bedroom and hide. to me, that is any real mans natural reaction.

My family didn't come to this country until the beginning of the 20th century so I don't consider myself part of the history of our country that condoned such behavior as slavery. My grandparents came to this country as indentured servants, a form of slavery so you see it just didn't/doesn't happen to people of color. Oh by they way, we are ALL people of color, white, black, brown, yellow, tan, pink.... and we all matter.

Unfortunately slavery still continues in parts of the world today. It's not a novel idea and it's certainly not unique to our country only. Actually slavery (human bondage) most likely still goes on in this country today. When you see/saw those photos of young girls coming over the southern boarder in trucks don't you wonder how they were going to survive in this country once they got here? Who was going to watch out for them and be responsible for them? My guess is they had a debt to pay once they got here. Very sad, there are people so desperate to get to this country, the land of opportunity that they are will to risk all but our own citizens don't see just how lucky they are to be here.

People speak of inequality but fail to realize nothing is truly fair in life. There are no guarantees in life. We each have to do the best we can with the gifts we have been given by our creator and if we work hard enough we can do very well in this country. Just look around you at all the successful people in this country from ALL races. Being white is no guarantee that you are going to have an easy life. White people have to work just as hard as anybody else to make it in this world.

I can assure you that nobody gave me anything that I didn't work hard to get. But I was lucky because I had a good family upbringing as a child. I had a mom and a dad that cared for me and my siblings and stayed together and did right by all of us. This is probably one of the most important things that people of every race and socioeconomic background should consider when having children; the importance of family, taking responsibility of the children we bring into the world.

My husband served in the Vietnam War, when he got home he had a very hard time finding a job. He had three major strikes against him, he was white (equal rights movement), he was male (equal rights for women) and he was a Vietnam vet (all Vietnam vets were considered drug users). But persistence paid off and my husband finally landed a job where he was able to work his way up the line to VP of more than one company. He did this through hard work, many, many hours of hard work, persistence and belief in himself. So you see nothing comes for free and life isn't fair, life is what we make of it.
But having a good family start IS being given something. That’s the point many ppl miss.

It can, but be careful what you wish for! The change you get probably will not be the change you want.

We had bad riots in Miami in 1980. The "chamber of commerce" number was 18 dead, but the real total was probably double that. But that's just the surface cost of the riots.

The real cost was much greater.

Some families lost homes they had owned for generations, that were paid off but had no insurance. When they burned, they were just gone. Stable communities of privately-owned single family homes were replaced (eventually) by large, violent public housing projects. Those projects weren't built because they were cool; they were built because nobody else would live there.

Many, many businesses were destroyed. Many others either closed completely, or they moved out of the affected areas. Industrial parks went vacant. A major shopping center was (and still is) vacant. People who worked in those businesses lost the jobs many of them had for decades.

That was 1980 -- 40 years ago. The community has still not recovered. In fact, it's now a sewer that people of all races avoid like the plague.

So be careful what you wish for -- and who you wish it for. The people you mean to help will probably be the ones to suffer the most.

This is a very important point. This summer I was involved in a professional development using the book Harvest of Empire by Juan Gonzalez. The book is a great read about Hispanics in the US and their plight but I was drawn to a quote about the riots after the Rodney King trial. The author quoted a middle aged Mexican American who said "A community only riots once. When you realize it takes twenty years to recover, you never want to see that again." Rochester experience riots in the 60s and the city has never recovered. The part of the city that was hurt the most has to this day not recovered. It is one of the poorest zip codes in the country.

And to the person who states that the Northern States did not have slaves. Your history teacher should be fired. Do I wish the founding fathers had some guts and tackled slavery in the Constitution you betcha but they didn't so we are continuing to fight for equality. Many Northern States are also responsible for some of the worst redlining tactics. If you are not familiar with redlining look it up it may enlighten you. My brother is a cop and I am an inner city teacher. We do not always agree on things but he sees lots of things that I don't. He takes the child abuse and child murder cases. I have been called terrible things, threatened and assaulted in the classroom but he still has the tougher job by far.

• Rochester's city government mandated that every police officer was required to wear a body camera. Then they saw the price tag, and declined to purchase those cameras. Then, when they have big problems, they have no body camera footage to determine what really happened. Funny how that kind of thing keeps happening to politicians.

Are you talking about Daniel Prude from Rochester, NY? There were half a dozen officers on scene that recorded body cam footage of what happened. You can watch it online with a quick google search to find it. The issue is the fact that the incident wasn't disclosed to the public until a few weeks ago. The mayor is claiming the police chief wasn't truthful with her and she didn't watch the footage until August. While it hasn't been explicitly stated, the emails that were disclosed infer that the mayor was informed as the situation developed.

The NY Times searched for an expert to go on record to say that the technique used to restrain Prude was dangerous/deadly and they could find no one. Because that specific technique is certified in NY as lawful and the officers involved had been trained on it just a few months before. The exacerbating factor was that he began to vomit and any delay between vomit and clearing the airway can be dangerous. The video is touch to watch because 1) Prude was naked and acting erratically and 2) some of the officers make inappropriate/unprofessional comments about what is happening.

Local protesters want all officers on scene (whether they had any physical contact with Prude or not) fired, charged, and convicted of murder. They did not sit back and watch officers put someone in a choke hold or say they can't breath. They watched another officer apply a restraint technique they'd all been trained on just a few months prior for an incident such as this. It's hard to see how any of them could be charged/convicted of murder. Fired for acting inappropriately? Much more likely.

A note on body cams. You can't require that officers have them running constantly during their shifts. Any footage recorded is public record and, therefore, subject to FOIL. There are times during a shift where the officer needs to respect others' privacy - locker rooms, bathrooms, speaking to a supervisor about a personal matter, taking a phone call from their child, speaking to a prosecutor about a case, going into court, speaking with a confidential informant. Not to mention that storage of footage costs a LOT of money and it has to be held for a certain period of time. If all officers had their cameras on constantly, the number of servers required for storage would be astronomical. What I've seen in protest type situations is that when a group of officers are together, 1 or 2 will run their cameras spaced out so that everything can be captured from that group's perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter