Chicago Cubs fans - Rebuilding Year 2023

This is all going according to plan: Butler emerged as a great long reliever, and the team worked on their bounce back skills and crunch time deliveries. Wouldn’t want it another way. : )

(Btw, if you’re not rooting for a particular team Monday, choose my Wolverines over Villanova).

This is all going according to plan: Butler emerged as a great long reliever, and the team worked on their bounce back skills and crunch time deliveries. Wouldn’t want it another way. : )

(Btw, if you’re not rooting for a particular team Monday, choose my Wolverines over Villanova).

Plus great improvement with JHey . He and Zobie are seeing the ball great. In Friday's marathon game, when JHey smoked that one down the 1st base line~ apparantely Bour (or maybe it was Dietrich? I can't remember) missed a sign and was standing on first erroneously and it ended up being the worst case of bad luck for JHey :sad2:. According to Len, the sign was for him to be over a good 5 feet but he missed it, and instead made the great play. That rocket would have cleared the bases. As always, baseball is gonna baseball :crazy: Happ being Happ, and Willy a little anxious too at the plate. Massive relief from Javy when he finally connected for his first hit last night.(and hopefully hefigures out his errors) Bet his soon to be son is going to get that baseball, lol. Addie, my goodness...he is BACK and then some! I know it is against the Marlin's but the bullpen only giving up 2 runs in 20 inning's is a fantastic start. Eddie had a great game when he played against STL last year, broke thier winning streak IIRC, and then things didn't pan out so well for him. I am really hoping that was just bad luck and he is on his way! Here's hoping the cycle of massive runs /cold bats ends today and becomes keep the line moving as standard issue. The above shot of the bases clearing with KB's triple last night was awesome..the speed edition of Get 'em on, get 'em moving, get 'em home!
images
LETS GO!

Cubs are not very good at finding their Easter eggs...left them all on the board.Torres stunk like rotten eggs behind the plate but we beat outselves with leaving RISP again. The big runs/no runs cycle continues. On the up side most of the big air hits the guys had would be homers in Cinci...going there next.

Last edited:
Well, we are home again. Five games for the price of four was loads of fun. We had great seats for all four games, too, and met the nicest Cub fans from all over the country. Lots of folks from IL getting away from the weather. Opening Day was so exciting. They did the whole nine yards at the stadium with DJKhalid being the pregame entertainment (not that I know who he is) and Jason Derulo sang the National Anthem (I was really worried, but he did a very nice version of it, rather traditional, too). At the end of the anthem, there was a flyover of fighter jets in formation over the stadium (they opened the roof before the start of the game - it was closed when we arrived). The Marlins stadium is really nice, ticket prices are low to get fans in (especially with new owner and management), but food and beverages were pretty much standard except the variety was really wide. Just the two of us were at Thur and Sun games and our son joined us for Fri and Sat games. We all liked it so much we intend to go back for other games.

Now for the games, Thursday seems so long ago. It was nice to win in nine innings. We drove to and from Miami for that game. Since it was a day game, we were able to drive back home before sunset. But the number of Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Arrieta jerseys in the crowd was amazing. Tons of Cub fans at all four games.

Friday was a hoot. It seemed like most of the innings ended with the Cub Fans on their feet rooting for a third strike with a 3 and 2 count and two outs. Eddie Butler was the star of the night and fans were on their feet every inning with him pitching. He had 90 pitches in the game, seven innings pitched and two outs in the 17th and he was pulled. Thanks for the abrupt ending, Morrow. The crowd was really behind Eddie. It's too bad he got the loss. They show fans all over the stadium during the breaks in the games, usually mostly Marlins fans, but in the last few innings, they were showing the same few over and over because so many had left. Too bad they left. Got an email from Derek Jeter on Saturday (everyone who had an email in the system and bought tickets got it) thanking fans for the great support and offering two free tickets for a few dates in April, May and June to thank the fans for being there for the first win. Probably going to get them and give them to my son since he has become big fan of the Marlins (and the Cubs). We got back to our hotel around 1AM with sore throats from yelling so much.

Saturday our seats were closer in line with home base (Section 10 for those interested - we were in Section 8 for the other three games, just different rows each time). With the constant tie, everyone was talking about 17 or 18 innings again. Glad it only lasted 10. Got back to the hotel a little after midnight because our son drove us around South Beach and Miami showing us the town after the game.

Today's game was another let down, just done in less time than Friday's game. The Cub fans outnumbered the Marlin fans and you could hear it. So many left on base each inning. The heart of the team was missing once the 5th inning ended.

A couple of things - Javy looks to be a blonde again. And Heyward has ruby slippers for baseball shoes. They sparkle on the sole of the shoe in sunlight. I tried to get a picture of them, but not so good.
Opening Day Logo - Day 1
Opening Day logo day 1.jpg
Day 3
Opening Day logo day 3.jpg
Day 4 - getting faded.
Opening Day Logo day 4.jpg

Still More
Ruby slippers Heyward.jpg
Heyward and his ruby slippers. They really do shine on the bottom. Like little kids with light up shoes.
Stropy being Stropy.jpg
Stropy being Stropy.
Opening Day team intro.jpg
Opening Day intros

A few more
Opening Day fans.jpg
Opening Day fans
15 and counting.jpg
15 and counting. Seven hits, one run. eight hits, one run.
half an inning to go.jpg
Half an inning to go.
Marlin Home run.jpg
Marlin Home Run - one marlin spins, the other goes back and forth, sparkles and shine - like Heyward's shoes

Welcome back! Yes, 5 games for the price of 4! What a whirlwind from waiting, waiting for the season to begin to BAM! 45 innings in 4 days. You could hear the Cub fans on TV and on 670~ such a shame so few locals attend but I get they are irritated with the selling off of the team. I can't tell if Starlin is playing hard in hopes of being traded or just to remind the Cubs of what they got rid of. Javy is indeed blonde and JHey wore those ruby slippers last year, Play-Off's maybe? I do remember seeing pic's of them. So nice they opened the roof, guess that is rare-ish, esp in summer heat. Cub Nation travels well, glad you got to meet so many fan's!

One more
Mostly closed roof.jpg
Opening Day - and the roof opens, too. Just partly opened here. It was sunny all over the field. The weather was beautiful the entire time. A bit of rain this morning, but none during game time.
Full moon over Miami.jpg
Full moon over Miami.
Bryant Rizzo Addy.jpg
Pregame warm ups.
Bryant Home run.jpg
Bryant home run. This was game 2.

Castro got lots of cheers from the Cub Fans when he came up to bat. The Marlins really worked pretty good as a team. No Stanton, but they got lots of nice hits, but only one home run.

Still More
View attachment 313236
Heyward and his ruby slippers. They really do shine on the bottom. Like little kids with light up shoes.
View attachment 313237
Stropy being Stropy.
View attachment 313238
Opening Day intros

At the end of this clip~ another shot of the shoes you got to see sparkle! I absolutely loves that JHey and Schwarb's respected the heck out of 90!

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2018/04/01/1902259783/1522607530446/asset_1800K.mp4

Looks like the DIS decided to stop notifying me again. This is getting old!

I missed what the Philies did and agree Jeter is a DB. Have always thought that. Good player, not quite so much as a person.

wow..I was not pleased losing to the Marlin's, but hearing this makes me REALLY bummed we didn't crush them.
You don't treat a HOF'er with a second hand phone call. Jeter, what a DB. So glad we have the Hawk back with the Cub's

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...rlins-owner-unprofessional-hall-of-fame-miami
Meh. Andre and HOF'er Tony Perez had been special assistants to Marlins president David Samson. Jeter asked Samson to fire them before he then fired Samson. I would prefer to hear it from the person I had been working for and with for all those years than the new "face" of the ownership group. PLUS, Jeter did reach out to all 4 special assistants after that and offered them a more limited role on the team with a cut in pay. Frankly, it just sounds like sour grapes on Andre's part, which is understandable. He was with the organization for 17 years and I would be peeved to get let go too.

What I can't believe is that they also let "Mr. Marlin" Jeff Canine ... I mean Conine ... go. As for Jack McKeon, "don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya". Yeah, I still carry a grudge for 2003.

Meh. Andre and HOF'er Tony Perez had been special assistants to Marlins president David Samson. Jeter asked Samson to fire them before he then fired Samson. I would prefer to hear it from the person I had been working for and with for all those years than the new "face" of the ownership group. PLUS, Jeter did reach out to all 4 special assistants after that and offered them a more limited role on the team with a cut in pay. Frankly, it just sounds like sour grapes on Andre's part, which is understandable. He was with the organization for 17 years and I would be peeved to get let go too.

What I can't believe is that they also let "Mr. Marlin" Jeff Canine ... I mean Conine ... go. As for Jack McKeon, "don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya". Yeah, I still carry a grudge for 2003.
in a phone call? Limited roll with cut in pay after 17 years? Eeeyyeeeaaahhhhhh~no thanks. I think Jeter is bigger in his mind than his 5 ownership and is burning bridges fast. Oh well..bigger issues , like being shut out 2 in a row to think about.
While wobbly and overly generous in the walk department, Chatwood got out of some jams, only gave up 1 run,kept his pitch count in check and got us the innings. Got Votto multiple times! Guess we are still the team to give other teams their "firsts"~ first win for the Red's. :rolleyes: Happ is struggling...I mean, I know 5 games in but he really looks lost. In 4th, under .400 is not where I was hoping to be in the first 5 games, (collecting just under 60 strike outs). The bullpen lookiing good, tho!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter