Child is sick too often! (update post 214)

I'm so worried she is going to get sick again. But I have to remind myself that her blood work was perfect before she left, so no more infection.

Glad to hear your dd is one the mend. We are mothers, we worry, you are normal.

Our whole family has health issues. We have had to go to Mayo Clinic for some things. Hang in there and don't ever be afraid to see multiple doctors if you need too.

She's doing well but this morning she complained about a headache and stomach ache. I'm seriously starting to think about this slime hobby (and it's a huge hobby for her). It contains borax, white glue and fragrance. The fragrance can be really strong. The dr.s I asked said it sounds harmless as long as she isn't eating it but they don't know what the fragrance contains (nor do I -- they don't have to list their ingredients.) I wonder if at the very least it is undermining her immune system.

Thoughts from anyone with experience with slime?

I will not let my daughter use slime with borax. She uses glue, Baking soda and contact solution. I will not let her use anything else. I have read articles that talk about kids getting sick from the Borax. They may not be purposely ingesting it but it is on there hands and unless they wash their hands really good it could still be there and if they touch their mouth or eat finger foods they can ingest it.

I hate slime and I can't wait until this phase is gone.

I will not let my daughter use slime with borax. She uses glue, Baking soda and contact solution. I will not let her use anything else. I have read articles that talk about kids getting sick from the Borax. They may not be purposely ingesting it but it is on there hands and unless they wash their hands really good it could still be there and if they touch their mouth or eat finger foods they can ingest it.

I hate slime and I can't wait until this phase is gone.

I want it to end, too! She sells it on Etsy and has a huge collection. Her illnesses started back in Sept when she started this hobby. She will only make it with Borax because she said any other way is no good.

Time for a 2 week hiatus. Then hopefully she will start losing interest but I have to be strong on this because I am just over her being ill all the time!

Put your foot down and tell if you are going to do this you can only make it this way. That is what I had to do with DD. She doesn't sell but I can't tell you how much she has made from home. I don't see much difference in the 2 ways of making it but I do know that after awhile of sitting it does separate with the baking powder one. I am not sure about the with Borax.

She has a huge collection and it's all made with borax. She won't make it any other way. This fad has GOT to end at some point, right???

She has a huge collection and it's all made with borax. She won't make it any other way. This fad has GOT to end at some point, right???

Definitely at least have her take a break from the slime to see if her symptoms subside, it can't hurt. Though her other, earlier symptoms don't seem to be so easily explained, perhaps the headache could from the slime chemicals?

Mine use contact solution and it works just fine. She won't do it that way? My son has sensitive skin and I won't let him use Borax.

No, she'll just quit because the big slime makers don't use use the contact solution. I'm ready for her to quit. The fragrances give me a headache. And her skin gets irritated, too. We make her wear gloves when mixing but even playing with it will make her hands all red - the backs of them only, weirdly.

No, she'll just quit because the big slime makers don't use use the contact solution. I'm ready for her to quit. The fragrances give me a headache. And her skin gets irritated, too. We make her wear gloves when mixing but even playing with it will make her hands all red - the backs of them only, weirdly.
Well good luck. I'd tell her no Borax or no slime :confused3

I hope for your sake she just loses interest :rotfl:

I'm really confused. She was just in the hospital. You seem very concerned for her health. You seem convinced the slime is somehow involved. Why on earth are you letting her still handle it?

Because all of the doctors I asked (several) assured me that it's harmless. And she loves it. It's her #1 hobby so I want to be sure this is actually harmful before I pull it out from under her completely. So, I will have her take a break from it for two weeks and see what happens.

Thoughts from anyone with experience with slime?

I've made it with my friend's kids, but we did the contact solution one. It worked fine.

I definitely think you are right to make her take a break! I know it's hard to take away things that make your kid happy when she hasn't done anything wrong, but sometimes you've just got to play the confident adult. (She will be more affected by how you feel about your decision than by the decision itself.)

Since she's making money on the stuff, I might even resort to a bribe in this case. - Explain that you think the excessive slime exposure might have something to do with her health problems, and the only way to test that is to take a break from it. Then say you'll pay her whatever amount a day for whatever number of days without it. Don't go too high (maybe even offer it as a deposit in her savings?) and don't present it as a choice, but just as a gift "to soften the blow".

Because all of the doctors I asked (several) assured me that it's harmless. And she loves it. It's her #1 hobby so I want to be sure this is actually harmful before I pull it out from under her completely. So, I will have her take a break from it for two weeks and see what happens.

Glad she's been feeling better, generally speaking! My daughter had a bad case of contact dermatitis from slime that took a while to heal. For her it was the fragrance. I had banned her from making it it, then found out she was bringing in contraband! Her friend was making it with laundry detergent, but kids make it with other things with "fragrance". I'm not sure why she didn't realize that I would figure it out since it had such a STRONG odor and it was the fragrance that was damaging her skin!

Side note:
For people who have kids with sensitive skin but still want to make slime, this has worked for us-
Contact solution instead of Borax, non-toxic school glue(we think the gel kind works best), maybe some mix-ins like glitter or beads, and sensitive skin shaving cream for "fluffy" slime.
***and no fragrances

Side note:
For people who have kids with sensitive skin but still want to make slime, this has worked for us-
Contact solution instead of Borax, non-toxic school glue(we think the gel kind works best), maybe some mix-ins like glitter or beads, and sensitive skin shaving cream for "fluffy" slime.
***and no fragrances

Yes, my daughter is fine if it's made with contact solution and/or school glue!

But you're still asking about it so you have some concern. It's definitely a good idea to limit exposure to something that turns her hands red, even if she's planning to wear gloves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter