• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Child is sick too often! (update post 214)

Being honest, your reaction to every possibility proffered is starting to concern me on a variety of levels.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking the same thing.

Relax, this whole thing could be absolutely nothing of any real concern. Follow medical advice of the doctors and take it one day at a time. Wild and rampant speculation serves no purpose.

Saw her dr. just now. She is sending us back to the ER to get a CT scan to determine if she has appendicitis. She said the ultrasound was not conclusive. Thank you so much for all of your input!

Also, any experience with appendicitis? I am not happy about the CT scan and the radiation to her midsection, but I know it's necessary.

Yes, I had an issue with my appendix.
I went 2 days in pain before I sought out medical help.

It burst before I got into surgery but was taken care of immediately

I recovered quite fine after I was out of the hospital.

An appendix can flare up at times and be treated with medications in the beginning.
Sometimes, surgery is needed.

Saw her dr. just now. She is sending us back to the ER to get a CT scan to determine if she has appendicitis. She said the ultrasound was not conclusive. Thank you so much for all of your input!

Also, any experience with appendicitis? I am not happy about the CT scan and the radiation to her midsection, but I know it's necessary.
Yes, actually dr. Google diagnosed me in the middle of the night, I let DH sleep a couple more hours and then he took me to the ER.

Bad stomach ache, felt like bad gas
Low grade fever - just under 100
Pain moved to lower right, tender to the touch
Vomited once, didn’t feel better

Pain started in the afternoon, 24 hours later I was out of surgery and in my hospital room. It was close to rupturing, very enlarged. It was hard to walk, due to my stomach.

My daughter had horrible stomach pains and vomiting. I called her doctor and they said not to take her in to just let it run it's course. She actually got better for about two days and then had a high fever. Brought her into the doctor and she had a feeling it was her appendix. We had a sonogram (?) and they sent us to the ER immediately. Unfortunately it had burst so she needed surgery and was in the hospital for 8 days. I really still regret not originally bringing her into the doctor for this as we may have avoided the surgery and hospitalization. Have been following this thread. Best of luck to your daughter. Hope she is well soon and that you get an answer.

Thanks for your experiences! Anyone have pain in the hips from appendicitis?

I remember your daughter being real sick in September.......did they ever do a follow up from that?? :hug:

Ah, I was going to mention the possibility of appendicitis, too, but it would be an unusual presentation - BUT not out of the realm of possibility.

My son had his appendix out, but also had some weird things happen leading up to the surgery. The first time, he was hospitalized and all ready to go for surgery one morning, but the attending doctor came in with his medical students showing them all these maneuvers with DS's legs, and said that if he could move his legs in such a way, then it wasn't appendicitis. So the surgery was cancelled. :scratchin

A few weeks later, DS was crumpled over in pain and vomiting non-stop. The pediatrician's office assured me there was a virus going around in which children had these very symptoms. I knew something more was wrong, though, when DS couldn't stop vomiting, so I took him into the ER anyway. The ER doc felt he had appendicitis. The radiologist couldn't see anything. But the tech did, and actually brought back and showed the doc, who looked at DS and said, "Looks like you're having surgery tonight!".

I think that DS probably did have an infected appendicitis the first time, but Dr Bowtie didn't think so. At the time, the surgeons did, and the radiologist did, too, but the Attending had the final say. Point being that sometimes it's not always 100% definitive. An infected appendix can affect the legs and the way they feel and move. But they typical presentation is more either peri-umbilical or, later, right sided abdominal pain with rebound tenderness. Good luck.

I had my appendix out when I was 27. Starting in my mid-teens I would occasionally have bouts of significant pain in my lower right side. My mom always blamed it on ovulation, but it never seemed to me that the timing was right for that. It would often wake me up during the night and fade over a day or two.

In the month leading up to the surgery I felt fluish off and on. Had some nausea, achiness and pain in my abdomen. A few times I would decide to get treatment and then would feel better and skip it.

The day before the surgery I was working and not sure I could get through the day. I had a burning pain around my navel, nausea and diarrhea. Then the pain moved to the lower right got worse and I had a low grade fever. I went to the ER. They couldn’t find anything wrong there when they initially examined me and I thought they would send me home. Then my blood work came back and my white blood count was elevated. I was admitted and it was late at night so they waited until morning to do a sonogram of my abdomen. I actually was starting to feel better and thought they would release me and the next thing I knew there was a surgeon in my room telling me my appendix was inflamed. I had it out that afternoon. It’s been 21 years and I haven’t had that pain again.

I don’t recall hip pain.

OP I hope you get this sorted out. It’s always tough when it’s our kids.

DD had her appendix out at 17. She started with nausea/vomiting and a "stomach ache" during the night, no more complaint than typical for a stomach bug, she didn't even wake us, just told us about it in the morning. So we told her to stay home from school and headed off to work ourselves. She called her dad three hours later saying she hurt so bad she couldn't get off the couch. He took her to the ER.
She had surgery about 5 hours later, in between that time, it ruptured. She had spent four days in the hospital.

My niece had a very different presentation. Repeated episodes of nausea and abdominal pain that they thought was ovulation also. She was about 15/16?
When she was finally diagnosed and her appendix removed, the doc said it must have had a "slow leak" for a long time because there was a lot of scar tissue and some adhesions to deal with. She spent two days in the hospital.

It's not appendicitis. She is in the hospital now and they are doing an MRI on her hips and back. She is also on antibiotics. They still don't know what is causing the hip pain but think it's serious and that there is more to it than a virus.

It's not appendicitis. She is in the hospital now and they are doing an MRI on her hips and back. She is also on antibiotics. They still don't know what is causing the hip pain but think it's serious and that there is more to it than a virus.

:hug: Stay strong & calm. Sending healing thoughts to your daughter.

oh dear. Please keep us updated. Sending you all healing hugs. Take comfort that she is getting excellent care and has doctors working on this to find answers. Hang in there.

So, she's been on antibiotics less than 24 hours and her WBC went from 24 to 14, so I am excited! Her inflammatiory markers are down too. They are giving her an MRI on her hips to see if there is fluid. If there is a lot they might drain it (ouch!) but I am so glad to see those high counts going down!

Guys, she had strep a month ago and I don't think I was diligent in giving her all of her antibiotics so this may have caused a bacterial infection to brew. Just a possibility. I'll never NOT give the entire round of antibiotics again!

I am so glad to hear things are getting better. Hopefully you will have more answers soon. And hopefully nothing will need to be drained.

So, she's been on antibiotics less than 24 hours and her WBC went from 24 to 14, so I am excited! Her inflammatiory markers are down too. They are giving her an MRI on her hips to see if there is fluid. If there is a lot they might drain it (ouch!) but I am so glad to see those high counts going down!

Guys, she had strep a month ago and I don't think I was diligent in giving her all of her antibiotics so this may have caused a bacterial infection to brew. Just a possibility. I'll never NOT give the entire round of antibiotics again!

Has she been checked for scarlet fever or rheumatic fever? Both can be the result of strep. Scarlet fever can cause nausea and vomiting and rheumatic fever can cause joint pain, among other symptoms.

Not finishing meds without medical advice isn't a good idea. Don't beat yourself up though. Your daughter is old enough to be part of her own health care so have her help you remember.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter