• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Child is sick too often! (update post 214)

Have you traveled anywhere recently where she could have picked up something unusual? There is some mosquito virus in the Caribbean that can cause joint pain.

I had a virus that felt like this last year. I would feel fine one day, and the next my hips hurt, all my joints hurt, my stomach hurt, and I was nauseous all the time. Heck, even blinking hurt! It hung around for about 3 weeks and then gradually disappeared. I would have good days and not so good days. It was really strange. But, the virus ran its course and went away. All will be good!

Really? Thanks so much. What gets me is the fact that she can't even really move without something hurting! Her feet, her back, her hips, her legs, arms.... you name it. I have never heard of this before plus the nausea and wanting to throw up.

Please if anyone else has heard of these symptoms before please let me know. Also, no fever at this point.

Have you traveled anywhere recently where she could have picked up something unusual? There is some mosquito virus in the Caribbean that can cause joint pain.

No but good question. One of the first things they asked me when we got to the ER. :)

Still following along Mefordis. I just want to offer my support. Thanks for keeping us updated and at least there are answers now. You're doing great, hang in there. I know how hard it can be not to panic. Keep taking those deep breaths :)

God bless you and thank you (to everyone on this thread). I can feel the good vibes. :) I truly hope it's just a virus presenting itself in this way and it will be over in days.

Virus are odd and can manifest in many different ways, I have some sort of horrible, self diagnosed, virus right now that is so strange and bizarre. Late Saturday night I could not move, my back and hips and knees and all of my muscles from my stomach down were killing me, I just laid on a heating pad hoping for the pain to go away. That disappeared, but was soon followed by the worst headache of my life, I couldn't move my eyes without blinding pain that finally went away with a heavy dose of aleve. Then I started feeling congested, claritin seemed to clear that up, then late last night/early this morning I had debilitating stomach pain that finally resolved mid-afternoon. At this point I am finally symptom free, but who knows what may come next, as it seems to hit in waves and then disappear only for another wave to hit, in between the waves I am fine to slightly more tired than usual. I am just making sure to drink as many fluids as I can to flush everything out of my system, and get as much sleep as these symptoms will allow for. Sometimes viruses produce odd symptoms, I am sure we all have illnesses where we feel like we are doing much better and then suddenly take a drastic turn back for the worse. Hugs to you, hopefully your daughter feels better very soon, make sure she gets lots of fluids and rest.

Virus are odd and can manifest in many different ways, I have some sort of horrible, self diagnosed, virus right now that is so strange and bizarre. Late Saturday night I could not move, my back and hips and knees and all of my muscles from my stomach down were killing me, I just laid on a heating pad hoping for the pain to go away. That disappeared, but was soon followed by the worst headache of my life, I couldn't move my eyes without blinding pain that finally went away with a heavy dose of aleve. Then I started feeling congested, claritin seemed to clear that up, then late last night/early this morning I had debilitating stomach pain that finally resolved mid-afternoon. At this point I am finally symptom free, but who knows what may come next, as it seems to hit in waves and then disappear only for another wave to hit, in between the waves I am fine to slightly more tired than usual. I am just making sure to drink as many fluids as I can to flush everything out of my system, and get as much sleep as these symptoms will allow for. Sometimes viruses produce odd symptoms, I am sure we all have illnesses where we feel like we are doing much better and then suddenly take a drastic turn back for the worse. Hugs to you, hopefully your daughter feels better very soon, make sure she gets lots of fluids and rest.

That sounds so similar to our case! Thank you so much for sharing and I truly hope you are well on your way to health. :)

I"m wondering if she has an autoimmune disease?

Don't get ahead of yourself and don't search the internet (this was hard for DH last night sitting at home waiting). Give it about a week or so and see if she gets better. it may just be a virus. If she is not better in a week or 10 days call her pediatrician again and maybe start checking for more stuff.

Prayers and good thoughts for your daughter -- and for you.

Thank you. No real answer as all of the tests were fine. The eye doctor says she can actually see and that he thinks her anxiety or stress is causing her brain to think she can't see out of that eye. So no easy fix.

Don't get ahead of yourself and don't search the internet (this was hard for DH last night sitting at home waiting). Give it about a week or so and see if she gets better. it may just be a virus. If she is not better in a week or 10 days call her pediatrician again and maybe start checking for more stuff.

Thank you. No real answer as all of the tests were fine. The eye doctor says she can actually see and that he thinks her anxiety or stress is causing her brain to think she can't see out of that eye. So no easy fix.

Good advice to the OP regarding the internet, and hugs to your DD and family as well :grouphug:.

When I get a virus, ALL my joints ache. Especially around my back of my hips, my wrists, my ankles, and my shoulders. I would just let her rest, keep her hydrated, and it should pass.

Take care!

I"m wondering if she has an autoimmune disease? Right now she can barely move due to painful joints but also her muscles. She seems to be in pain all over. It came on all of a sudden this evening, just like last time. Also nausea.

Sounds like they think it's a virus based on your updates. It it is an AI disorder, maybe juvenile RA? Did they test for RA?

Sounds like they think it's a virus based on your updates. It it is an AI disorder, maybe juvenile RA? Did they test for RA?

No but I'm thinking I'll ask for a lyme disease test while we are in the dr. office. She is going to hate it - 3rd blood draw. While we are at it I'm going to ask them to run tests for autoimmune markers, whatever those are.

Thoughts on this?

By the way, this is day 7 of the symptoms which are nausea and muscle/joint pain including hips.

No but I'm thinking I'll ask for a lyme disease test while we are in the dr. office. She is going to hate it - 3rd blood draw. While we are at it I'm going to ask them to run tests for autoimmune markers, whatever those are.

Thoughts on this?

Being honest, your reaction to every possibility proffered is starting to concern me on a variety of levels.

By the way, this is day 7 of the symptoms which are nausea and muscle/joint pain including hips.

What did her doctor say about what you should expect, what signs should cause you to call them back or bring her in? Are you outside the window of when they suggested she would be much better?

I have been tested for RA and Lupus. My first round of tests came back positive and the second round were negative. There is no real answer for this. I do think since the tests are for inflammation (if I am correct) that the first test were off because I was having back pain at that time. My understanding is that a lot of Autoimmune diseases are hard to diagnosis.

Since it has been 7 days, yes I think you should be talking to your doctor again. Do you have a history of Autoimmune diseases in your family? A history of it will put her at a higher risk. We have a ton in my family. My mom and Uncle have Celiac, an aunt is Type 1 Diabetic, another aunt has Lupus and my grandmother has the one that you lose the pigment in your skin. This is all on my moms side. All of her brothers and sisters have one except one of my aunts. Also one of me moms cousins has Lupus and RA.

You will get to the bottom of it. You are doing great at being an advocate for your daughter.

Agree with previous posters. Viruses last for a min of 7-10 days. They can present in a variety of ways. I think you have to trust the physicians. They are the experts--not some people giving you suggestions on the internet. Your child doesn't need excessive, invasive testing unless the doctor believes it's necessary. That's not to discount a parents' instincts, but really, what you're describing doesn't sound like it's outside the norm of a virus.

Thoughts on this?

AI disorders are notoriously hard to diagnose. For many of the diseases, there are no tests to take. They diagnose off off symptoms. For some they can test for inflammation. I think lyme is so very common and symptoms are so varied and hard to test for. It can be hard to convince dr.'s to test for lyme as they tend to dismiss it. They may not go further with testing until they see if it runs it's course.

Does she have an appt today? Please keep us updated.

Being honest, your reaction to every possibility proffered is starting to concern me on a variety of levels.

What did her doctor say about what you should expect, what signs should cause you to call them back or bring her in? Are you outside the window of when they suggested she would be much better?

The ER dr. said to follow up with her PCP and this was the only day she could take me so this is the follow up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter