Child is sick too often! (update post 214)

Thanks so much. I am looking for a illness/cause but maybe it is hormonal or something benign like that. The CBC looks good except for the WBC so that means something is going on, right? The body is fighting something off. What is it though? I wish we knew! The bacteria culture is not back yet, so maybe bacterial?

Wasn't she diagnosed with a virus only a few days ago? Why wouldn't the virus potentially be the culprit still?

Wasn't she diagnosed with a virus only a few days ago? Why wouldn't the virus potentially be the culprit still?

I guess I"m thrown off because she no symptoms Saturday or Sunday or this morning (except some muscle pain in the hip) and now she has nausea this afternoon plus sleeping. I thought she was on the upswing. It is so hard to see her sick again.

I guess I"m thrown off because she no symptoms Saturday or Sunday or this morning (except some muscle pain in the hip) and now she has nausea this afternoon plus sleeping. I thought she was on the upswing. It is so hard to see her sick again.

Please hear this in a gentle yet firm voice. Hit the pause, take a step back, breathe deeply and tell yourself sternly to relax. This level of anxiety isn't good for anyone. If you won't listen for you, listen for your daughter's wellbeing. There's no way she won't pick up on this and that creates a very big risk it will become her burden.

Relax, we’ve had so many mystery illnesses, never found out what they were. Every one of my kids has been in an ambulance at least once, surgery at least once, every childhood illness known to man, months and months of PT - we meet our high deductible by April every single year. If anything, I need to freak out more. Dd21 got a mono diagnosis weeks after her symptoms started (begged me to take her to the doctor), found out dd15 broke her nose at some point in her life (will have surgery next year), now I’m thinking maybe we should’ve had ds19 looked at when he caught a fly ball with his nose in the 4th grade and had two very black eyes (but he was just healed from adenoid surgery and didn’t want him to miss baseball season).

I know of many kids who get migraines really bad due to anxiety (including my niece). Don’t borrow worry.

Are you sure there is not something going on with anxiety about school or something like that in addition to maybe being under the weather? So she felt better over the weekend and now she feels bad again during the week?

I am sure she is also picking up stress about how focused you are on her and how she feels.

I am sure it is hard for you to see her under the weather, but I think not jumping to conclusions is best for everyone.

Please hear this in a gentle yet firm voice. Hit the pause, take a step back, breathe deeply and tell yourself sternly to relax. This level of anxiety isn't good for anyone. If you won't listen for you, listen for your daughter's wellbeing. There's no way she won't pick up on this and that creates a very big risk it will become her burden.

Okay thanks. I need to hear that. I just expect a progression toward wellness - meaning, I didn't expect her to slide back into feeling sick once she started to feel better.

We still need the bacterial culture back from the ER. Results not in yet. That will tell us if we need antibiotics.

Thanks so much. I am looking for a illness/cause but maybe it is hormonal or something benign like that. The CBC looks good except for the WBC so that means something is going on, right? The body is fighting something off. What is it though? I wish we knew! The bacteria culture is not back yet, so maybe bacterial?
I thought your previous post said she was already on antibiotics?

Back from the ER. DD could barely walk to the car and get in. We were going to call an ambulance but we powered through and got her there, got her into a wheelchair and into the ER. The pediatric area was not busy at all but the adults - OMG people waiting in hallways. They ran a mono test, urine, appendix... all negative.

The final diagnosis is a viral infection, possibly undetectable bacteria too so she got some antibiotics and she feels much better after the fluids, too and pain meds.

I feel so grateful. I"m going to try to remember this every time I lose my cool over something trivial.

Thanks, all!

Haven't you ever been sick maybe with a cold or the flu and feel good one day thinking you're getting over it but then you head back to normal routine and you're worn out and kind of drained? Same thing with your dd.

Relax, let your daughter rest and stop stressing.

I have a health concern with a college son who lives 5 hours away right now. I understand stressing about kids and their health. But sometimes you have to let go for your own sanity. And the kids bodies will heal themselves

I thought your previous post said she was already on antibiotics?

They only gave her some in the ER. They are waiting for the blood culture to come back to see if it's bacterial before they prescribe a full round. I am waiting for it to come back. I suspect that is what she needs!

My main concern is the crippling hip pain on either side, along with the stomach ache.
So, first nausea, no throwing up though, then tiredness, then fell asleep then hip pain. no fever. She can barely walk. I did just give her motrin for the pain.

Got the bacterial test back - all clear. So, just wait until the virus goes away I guess. She sees her dr. tomorrow.

Just talked to the ER dr. who saw her. Everything clear except for the WBC elevated. It's viral. She actually could have Toxic Synovitis. This is hip pain that comes with a viral infection and can last days or a few weeks.

Thanks so much for your support again! I apologize for being such a worrier. I am trying to keep calm for my girl, though.

Haven't you ever been sick maybe with a cold or the flu and feel good one day thinking you're getting over it but then you head back to normal routine and you're worn out and kind of drained? Same thing with your dd.

Relax, let your daughter rest and stop stressing.

I have a health concern with a college son who lives 5 hours away right now. I understand stressing about kids and their health. But sometimes you have to let go for your own sanity. And the kids bodies will heal themselves

I hope your son is okay. :) I'm sure he will be.

I know how you feel. I have been at 2 different er's with dd today. Still at the one. She can't see out of her left eye. No answers yet and all I want to is cry. You are being a great mom. She will get better.

Still following along Mefordis. I just want to offer my support. Thanks for keeping us updated and at least there are answers now. You're doing great, hang in there. I know how hard it can be not to panic. Keep taking those deep breaths :)

I"m wondering if she has an autoimmune disease? Right now she can barely move due to painful joints but also her muscles. She seems to be in pain all over. It came on all of a sudden this evening, just like last time. Also nausea.

I had a virus that felt like this last year. I would feel fine one day, and the next my hips hurt, all my joints hurt, my stomach hurt, and I was nauseous all the time. Heck, even blinking hurt! It hung around for about 3 weeks and then gradually disappeared. I would have good days and not so good days. It was really strange. But, the virus ran its course and went away. All will be good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter