Child is sick too often! (update post 214)

Back from the ER. DD could barely walk to the car and get in. We were going to call an ambulance but we powered through and got her there, got her into a wheelchair and into the ER. The pediatric area was not busy at all but the adults - OMG people waiting in hallways. They ran a mono test, urine, appendix... all negative.

The final diagnosis is a viral infection, possibly undetectable bacteria too so she got some antibiotics and she feels much better after the fluids, too and pain meds.

I feel so grateful. I"m going to try to remember this every time I lose my cool over something trivial.

Thanks, all!

My goodness! I’m so glad you followed your instincts and took her to the ER. I bet you were a nervous wreck! I’m so glad you have answers and your DD is feeling a little better already. I’ve been watching for updates all day.
It’s so tough trying to figure it all out but your doing great! Hugs and well wishes for DD!

First and foremost, I'm relieved your daughter is feeling better!

The final diagnosis is a viral infection, possibly undetectable bacteria too so she got some antibiotics and she feels much better after the fluids, too and pain meds

Would a viral infection cause her white blood count to be elevated? I would still follow up with her pediatrician. I don't mean to be negative, but I find that doctors use "viral infection" as the answer without actually looking into it. When DD9 was 3, she was terribly sick. She had a high fever (105.7-106) for DAYS before I could get anyone to take me seriously. I kept taking her to the ER and Dr appointments. I kept getting brushed off "Oh it's viral". I finally got an appointment with her pediatrician, she knew instantly it was something more, sent us for x-rays (her 3rd set that week). Pneumonia. Then she vomited. Dr had us go to the ER and she personally demanded they admit her (they were planning to release her once her oxygen level stabilized, which didn't happen for 3 days).

I could tell you more about this, as my DH had to restrain me when a nurse kept answering the phone and simultaneously put an iv in my daughter's dehydrated veins. My point is, ALWAYS trust your instincts, if I didn't fight so hard for her, I'm not convinced she'd be here today.

OP, I'm glad you are feeling better after the ER visit.

Can I bring up a side issue? I can't imagine how painful it was to watch your sister get so sick, and to lose her. It would be a traumatizing event for anyone. You may not have fully "felt" that the trauma was still with you until you held your first baby in your arms during an illness and you felt incredibly afraid. Yes, as parents we worry about our children when they are sick. But it sounds like you are feeling it deeper and heavier than most parents usually do. And of course you do - you're afraid that any minor illness could be the beginning of something horrible. Because you watched that happen with your little sister. It's something no one should have to experience, but you did.

Have you thought about seeing a therapist, to talk about what happened and how it affects your anxiety levels today when your kids are ill? You deserve to be able to care for your sick children and not be fearful. And they deserve to have a Mama who isn't wracked with worry anytime they are ill. It would be a gift to all of you, to explore these feelings which are completely understandable but are having a negative impact on your life. This particular situation has been really odd and I think lots of parents would get pretty worried, but a couple of your comments have made me think you have gotten really worried many times.

Also, my daughter was adopted at birth, so I didn't experience it personally, but there is a particular childhood cancer diagnosis that is in her family medical history. I worried about it more than i expected I would when she was really little. Then one day I straight up asked her doc, "Ok, give me a bullet point list of symptoms to be looking out for." Having that knowledge has helped tremendously, because if she's ill but it's not those symptoms I'm able to separate it and just focus on the illness at hand. I have no idea if that could help you, and you may have already done that, but wanted to throw it out there I case it could be helpful.

Sending pixie dust your way Mama... This parenting this can be tough! :grouphug:

Last edited:
Back from the ER. DD could barely walk to the car and get in. We were going to call an ambulance but we powered through and got her there, got her into a wheelchair and into the ER. The pediatric area was not busy at all but the adults - OMG people waiting in hallways. They ran a mono test, urine, appendix... all negative.

The final diagnosis is a viral infection, possibly undetectable bacteria too so she got some antibiotics and she feels much better after the fluids, too and pain meds.

I feel so grateful. I"m going to try to remember this every time I lose my cool over something trivial.

Thanks, all!

Nothing is trivial when it comes to our kids.

Yes, viral infections make your white blood cell count elevated. And viruses can be cyclical, meaning you can feel worse at the same time every day & better at the same time every day. And they last for days. You can feel better for a few days, then feel worse again.

And I would not be surprised if the back ache is a pulled muscle from all the vomiting. Headaches can come from dehydration or low blood sugar. So if she isn't eating & drinking because of a stomach virus, those things can cause a headache. And once you're dehydrated, it can take a bit to get over that too.

OP, I am an RN for 40 years & a mom. I understand your sister passing from cancer was horrible. But really, I hope you don't react like this every time your kids are sick. As blunt as this sounds, you are not doing them any favors jumping right to the worst possible scenario. Kids get sick every day. Thousands of them. Yes, some of them will have the worst possible outcome. The very, very small minority of them. But most of them are just normal, every day, run of the mill illnesses. Your kids deserve to grow up not worried about what every little ache or pain means.

In one of your posts you said how overwhelmed you are being a parent & then you talked about the heartbreak you go thru as a parent. Very few parents I know think about heartbreak when they think about being a parent. Maybe you need to work on your anxiety & stress. These things all sound like normal childhood & normal parenting issues. How you react to these things can affect your kids for life. I am not judging or trying to criticize you. Just want you to know how what you have posted is coming across to me.

One other thing, having a parent being so anxious about everything can trigger the same thing in the kids. So if it is anxiety causing the vomiting, you may be contributing to the problem by overreacting.

Last edited:
If this is an infection I wonder why she has no fever. I think mono would be the best dignosis, right? That would explain all of the symptoms and it's not life threatening and she will get over it and have lifelong immunity.

Current Symptoms:
- nausea
- headache
- lower back pain

Sorry but I had to reply to this. Although it is rare, my son had severe complications due to mono. It was life threatening for him. He spent time in ICU and missed his entire last year of high school due to it. It took him almost 2 years to recover from the complications of mono.

Sorry but I had to reply to this. Although it is rare, my son had severe complications due to mono. It was life threatening for him. He spent time in ICU and missed his entire last year of high school due to it. It took him almost 2 years to recover from the complications of mono.

Oh goodness how scary! If you look at the top of this page she says her daughter texted negative for mono... Good news!

They did the long test for strep but I have to wait a few days they said to get the results back. My dr. office does not get quick results.

Going to the ER because of the back pain. Her hip flexors hurt, too and her white blood count is elevated at 21. Please pray that it's something easily cured.
Did the doctor's office call you to tell you the results of the elevated white cells? And then, seeing she'd developed back pain, as well, you decided to go to the ER? OR did they tell you to go to the ER? Just trying to follow what's happening.

Thanks, all!
So something to keep abreast of. Keep her hydrated as best you can. If water makes her feel sick, try seltzer water. Sips every half hour. The back pain and difficulty walking are a little perplexing. Combined with the elevated white count, I'd keep a close eye on it and see what happens. Keep a low threshold for checking in with your pediatrician over the weekend (they might even end up calling you to check on her), or returning to the ER if her condition worsens. Hang in there. :hug:

Did the doctor's office call you to tell you the results of the elevated white cells? And then, seeing she'd developed back pain, as well, you decided to go to the ER? OR did they tell you to go to the ER? Just trying to follow what's happening.

So something to keep abreast of. Keep her hydrated as best you can. If water makes her feel sick, try seltzer water. Sips every half hour. The back pain and difficulty walking are a little perplexing. Combined with the elevated white count, I'd keep a close eye on it and see what happens. Keep a low threshold for checking in with your pediatrician over the weekend (they might even end up calling you to check on her), or returning to the ER if her condition worsens. Hang in there. :hug:

If I'm reading this thread correctly, the OP decided to go to the ER on her own after her visit to the PED. I was following this thread and when OP came back after seeing the doctor and several posters started mentioning "kidney infection" because of the back and hip flexor pain, I think she may have just got scared and went to the ER. Or I may have missed a post!!

If I'm reading this thread correctly, the OP decided to go to the ER on her own after her visit to the PED. I was following this thread and when OP came back after seeing the doctor and several posters started mentioning "kidney infection" because of the back and hip flexor pain, I think she may have just got scared and went to the ER. Or I may have missed a post!!
I was thinking they must've called with results of the bloodwork drawn at the doctor's office, so I was wondering if they directed her to to go the ER because of that, or whether she decided to go on her own because of the new (at the time) back pain issues.

Thank you. THey tested for mono and that came out negative. I thought that was what it might be, too.

Mefordis, let us know how your daughter is doing when you can!

Thank you for asking. Yesterday she seemed 100% normal, just some slight soreness in her hips. I wonder what that was all about? The ER pediatrician said viruses can manifest in different ways. Once she was in the ER and got fluids she seemed to be doing way better (and motrin) and she walked out of there, with some pain but nothing like when we entered.

So, after all of this illness I hold my breath whenever i go to her room in the morning, praying that she is not sick!

My sister is a nurse and she had me read her the CBC and she was very pleased with the numbers. The only thing elevated was the WBC.

Ugh! The nausea is back! And she feels tired! I thought we were in the clear. I am back to being stressed.

One of my little granddaughters had some of these issues when she was younger, between about 4-6. She was always feeling crummy with tummy issues and when she was feeling better, the ONLY thing she wanted to eat was oatmeal. The doctors never did pin point one specific cause, just advised mom to treat the symptoms and carry on. She is 10 now and perfectly healthy and fine, her issues just resolved on their own. I suspect she may have been extra sensitive to growing pains and just very aware of physical changes in her body that make you feel 'off'.

Kids are so little, they don't seem to have much leeway for dehydration (which will make you feel all kinds of weird), so please push those fluids when possible and get her eating moist foods like soup and fruit and popsicles to help.

Hope she feels better soon! But if not, try not to make yourself crazy over it, it wouldn't help your girl to let her see your stress.

One of my little granddaughters had some of these issues when she was younger, between about 4-6. She was always feeling crummy with tummy issues and when she was feeling better, the ONLY thing she wanted to eat was oatmeal. The doctors never did pin point one specific cause, just advised mom to treat the symptoms and carry on. She is 10 now and perfectly healthy and fine, her issues just resolved on their own. I suspect she may have been extra sensitive to growing pains and just very aware of physical changes in her body that make you feel 'off'.

Kids are so little, they don't seem to have much leeway for dehydration (which will make you feel all kinds of weird), so please push those fluids when possible and get her eating moist foods like soup and fruit and popsicles to help.

Hope she feels better soon! But if not, try not to make yourself crazy over it, it wouldn't help your girl to let her see your stress.

Thanks so much. I am looking for a illness/cause but maybe it is hormonal or something benign like that. The CBC looks good except for the WBC so that means something is going on, right? The body is fighting something off. What is it though? I wish we knew! The bacteria culture is not back yet, so maybe bacterial?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter