I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just booked a last minute trip to Boston. Why oh why does it cost 3 times as much to leave Boston as it does to get to Boston? Looking at SW flights. If anyone has any tips for Boston let me know, specifically looking at Boston University and possibly Tufts. It looks like they are fairly close? Can I just uber from airport to both of these places fairly cheaply? Would rather not have a car.

Awesome! Thank you both for the DPs and follow up. This is great. I'll be giving it a shot on both for the next bills (after asking to lower the cash advance just in case). Thanks!!!

i called to have them lower my cash advance too... they basically said what cash advance? :P

Points.com!!

Today I got an email from IHG with the usual promos that I rarely can use, but I scrolled through anyway and saw 'buy more points'.

They are offering double points for IHG until midnite tonight and you may all have seen this somewhere but I didn't.

So, I'm busy scrolling on points.com until I realize that when you get to 'buy 30,000 points, get 30,000 points' the rate drops to $10 per thousand for the buy, meaning with the 'get' they are now $5 per thousand. I think that is the least expensive I have ever seen IHG points, ever, and I've watched this for many years.

So, $300 for 60,000 IHG points. The $5 per thousand starts at the buy 26,000 level (total 52k for $260)

Where this gets to be 'good' is when you are trying to book the beach in July (Ocean City, Md - $300 plus for a Holiday Inn Express or $150 in points value) or New York City in December for around Xmas, etc. The Intercontinental Times Square is over $500 a night plus fees, 70K points or $350 all in for points.

Those of you who use IHG will understand. Hope I haven't confused anybody. I probably wouldn't buy these points to stay at a $100 a night HI Express. It just makes sense to me when you are going to pay for the more expensive time frames.

I just booked a last minute trip to Boston. Why oh why does it cost 3 times as much to leave Boston as it does to get to Boston? Looking at SW flights. If anyone has any tips for Boston let me know, specifically looking at Boston University and possibly Tufts. It looks like they are fairly close? Can I just uber from airport to both of these places fairly cheaply? Would rather not have a car.
Have you looked into flying into PVD or MHT and driving in?

It's been awhile so I may be way out of touch, but my son went to a tech school in Boston -15 years ago! We found the 'T' easy enough to use. I combined my trips up there to get him settled into mini vacations and really enjoyed the city a lot. I drove in the city and found it congested to get around, but I'm pretty used to city driving so for me it wasn't impossible. Others might scream. Parking wasn't easy.

Last edited:
Look at me - I'm all millenial awesome guy now...just setup Apple Pay on 2 devices, wife sent me $1,456.31 plus fee = $1,500 maxed out 5% Freedom category! Will do it the opposite way in a few days, just want to see the charge post and withdraw the money to my account. I'm sure it will work but that's my general paranoia - I have to see it to believe it, haha!

Yea, but I don't feel very connected to the millenials, haha. I think I have an old soul - and it might be true considering a bunch of people here thought I was an old retired guy, haha!

Sweet! Hey, awesome millenial guy, this Gen X girl here would not have a Twitter or Insta account, nor learned how to do mobile payments if not for travel hacking. I still only use them when there is a bonus, contest or something like that. Otherwise it's all FB for me.

This is me exactly on the social media!

I'm on the edge of the 2...1981. Don't really fit in anywhere. Millenials make me do some serious eye rolls most of the time (hope not to offend anyone, ha!). I am pretty old school and an old soul.

Just the swagbucks $5 back on $50 in store plus 2% (so 12% off).

I need to learn swaybacks. How will I ever add that into my schedule. I can't keep up. Traveled for one day and had 15 pages to read.

I see that there's a Disney cruise GT rate for a NY to Quebec cruise in September for $4200... I want to do that now. I have a problem.

Wow! This is so early for *GT already.

My daughter is turning 3 December 19th! This is the last time she will be free also. We are going to be in Disney World on her birthday, but we arrive a few days before :)

Mine turns 3 on 12/19 too! I want to go again before then. Shooting for May or August. I can't deal with the crazy amount of party nights from mid august through Dec.

OK I got the lightstream to go through. It did not auto populate. I learned my lesson after trying my mortgage (I knew going in that wouldn't work but wanted to try anyway). I did change the name a bit and added "attn: Cashier" to the name. Is there any playing around you can do for a mortgage payment for US Bank? I will assume probably not.

Try attn:U.S.Bank

Don't leave any spaces and add the periods and maybe that will get it through.

With the CIP in hand now I'm looking at Plastiq a little closer. I've googled to see whether there are any prohibitions to health care premiums, but I didn't see anything. It seems strange that these type of payments wouldn't be specifically called out, but just wanted to check and see whether any of you use plastiq for them. Also, anyone have any problems with club payments? I'm thinking about trying that as well for our country club but I was curious as to whether they would code as something that would be reimbursed 3x on the CIP. Is the only way to tell to do a small payment first (after the small MC payment to make sure it doesn't do a cash advance?). Thanks Lain for the great write up on dischurners.

We have healthcare dramas going on with DH switching jobs this month so I am going to need to start sending premiums this way too. If I have to pay, may as well get 3x points!

I tried over and over and could not get that Amex Plat 100k either :(

Nope, me neither!

I got a code too. 30% off.

Oh man, none in my junk mail folders. Boo. I'm trying to do May or August, but for the right price would do June or July.

I think summer is the new low time (besides Sept and Jan). July and August seem to be seeing much lower crowds the last couple of years.

I took DD18 on a surprise trip early Aug last year. Got a last minute deal. It was great! Didn't seem crowded to me. Not slow either, but not crazy.

If I have a best buy gift card and rewards certificates, do I need to use them in a certain order to buy my gift card?

ETA and my savings code!

I applied for the SPG Biz card last night (through a Dis Churners link, of course) and got immediate approval. :woohoo:
I couldn't believe how nervous I was. I felt like a swat team was going to show up and arrest me because I only have a "business". I guess I've dipped my toe into business credit cards. Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Now to meet the $7,000 msr. I may need to use Plastiq to make the spend. From what I've read, you can't pay your mortgage with Plastiq using Amex without getting creative. What about student loans? Do they allow Amex payments through Plastiq? Is there an Intro to Plastiq either on the disboards or somewhere else?

I applied for the SPG Biz card last night (through a Dis Churners link, of course) and got immediate approval. :woohoo:
I couldn't believe how nervous I was. I felt like a swat team was going to show up and arrest me because I only have a "business". I guess I've dipped my toe into business credit cards. Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Now to meet the $7,000 msr. I may need to use Plastiq to make the spend. From what I've read, you can't pay your mortgage with Plastiq using Amex without getting creative. What about student loans? Do they allow Amex payments through Plastiq? Is there an Intro to Plastiq either on the disboards or somewhere else?
Dischurners has a nice write up:)

If I have a best buy gift card and rewards certificates, do I need to use them in a certain order to buy my gift card?

ETA and my savings code!

Rewards certificates are coupons, so hand that in before they total it up - can even hand it off first thing... well second maybe after SB code :). The savings codes are gift cards (but since they have an expiration date sooner than 5 years I'm pretty sure that's why they call them savings codes rather than GC's) so use them and the gift cards when it's time to pay.

Rewards certificates are coupons, so hand that in before they total it up - can even hand it off first thing... well second maybe after SB code :). The savings codes are gift cards (but since they have an expiration date sooner than 5 years I'm pretty sure that's why they call them savings codes rather than GC's) so use them and the gift cards when it's time to pay.
Thanks!

Congratulations!

As for Plastiq, Amex doesn’t like mortgages, student loans, and car payments; basically, loan repayments are out unless you get creative with how you address the payment.

My dh got an email offer on the SW Plus for 50k plus $100 statement credit. I took a glance at the Reddit thread and didn't see any support links with the statement credit. Is that correct?

My dh got an email offer on the SW Plus for 50k plus $100 statement credit. I took a glance at the Reddit thread and didn't see any support links with the statement credit. Is that correct?

I got this email offer too. It looks targeted.

That is a great offer! I haven't seen any support links with the statement credit.

It's perfect timing for us! We were already planning to apply for that card in April. I just wish I could support a fellow Dischurner!

That is how I felt applying for the SPG personal with the incognito offer. Felt like I was betraying my DIS friends! In the end, you have to do what is best for your family and know there will always be other cards and opportunities down the road to show support :)

Anyone have experience getting an Amex (Spg) AU removed from your credit report. My mom put me on hers last April. She's most likely going to cancel when her AF hits next month. So I prob need to take care of this soon. It didn't look too positive on Doc, said amex was the hardest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter