Male Birth Control Pill - Could be coming soon

I'm sorry you took my comment that way but that's not at all what I was referring to.

The topic of this thread is male birth control not about other methods of preventing pregnancy such as condoms or the more riskier pull out method. A poster said "What woman would believe a man was REALLY on birth control? At the magical moment, they'll tell you anything!" (the other poster was not (edited: directly) referring to condoms in their conversation either) and my comment was in direct reference to that. Plus another poster responded about women having more risks (to which I would assume they mean because they are the ones who would actually get pregnant).

I'm not talking about using condoms nor do I honestly think my comment could have been construed as speaking towards that :confused3. I'm talking strictly about male birth control. If I was speaking about preventing pregnancy by any means then condoms would come into the conversation.
I was responding solely to your comment about men having to rely on a woman's honesty about being on birth control. Again, I'll repeat that no man has to rely on that; there are measures they have at their disposal that are completely within their control. I'm honestly not sure what the rest of this post is conveying - I guess we're just talking past one another. :hyper2:

This and I would not take anything that lowers my Testosterone. I wouldn't voluntarily take any medication that messed with any hormone levels. I suspect many men feel the same but I'm all for more options.

Meanwhile on the other side of the world the women are dealing with this to make sure they don't have your baby:

Side effects
Common side effects of oral contraceptives include:

birth-control-pill-packets.jpg

Hormonal contraception is taken to prevent pregnancy and for other medical reasons.
  • intermenstrual spotting
  • nausea
  • breast tenderness
  • headaches and migraine
  • weight gain
  • mood changes
  • missed periods
  • decreased libido
  • vaginal discharge
  • changes to eyesight for those using contact lenses
We will look at each of these side effects in detail below.

1. Intermenstrual spotting
Breakthrough vaginal bleeding is common between expected periods. This usually resolves within 3 months of starting to take the pill.

During spotting, the pill is still effective, as long as it has been taken correctly and no doses are missed. Anyone who experiences 5 or more days of bleeding while on active pills, or heavy bleeding for 3 or more days, should contact a health care professional for advice.

This bleeding may happen because the uterus is adjusting to having a thinner endometrial lining or because the body is adjusting to having different levels of hormones.

2. Nausea
Some people experience mild nausea when first taking the pill, but symptoms usually subside after a while. Taking the pill with food or at bedtime may help. If nausea is severe or persists for longer than 3 months, you should seek medical guidance.

3. Breast tenderness
Birth control pills may cause breast enlargement or tenderness. This normally resolves a few weeks after starting the pill. Anyone who finds a lump in the breast or who has persistent pain or tenderness or severe breast pain should seek medical help.

Tips for relieving breast tenderness include reducing caffeine and salt intake and wearing a supportive bra.

4. Headaches and migraine
woman-curled-up-with-nausea.jpg

Some people experience side effects with "the pill," such as irregular periods, nausea, headaches or weight change.
The hormones in birth control pills can increase the chance of headaches and migraine.

Pills with different types and doses of hormone may trigger different symptoms.

Using a low-dose pill may reduce the incidence of headaches.

Symptoms normally improve over time, but if severe headaches start when you begin taking the pill, you should seek medical advice.

5. Weight gain
Clinical studies have not found a consistent link between the use of birth control pills and weight fluctuations. However, fluid retention may occur, especially around the breasts and hips.

According to one review, most studies have found an average weight gain of under 4.4 pounds (2 kilograms) at 6 or 12 months with progestin-only birth control. Studies of other birth control methods showed the same gain.

Some types of hormonal contraceptive have been linked to a decrease in lean body mass.

6. Mood changes
Studies suggest that oral contraceptives may affect the user's mood and increase the risk of depression or other emotional changes. Anyone experiencing mood changes during pill use should contact their medical provider.

7. Missed periods
Even with proper pill use, a period may sometimes be missed. Factors that can influence this include stress, illness, travel, and hormonal or thyroid abnormalities.

If a period is missed or is very light while using the pill, a pregnancy test is recommended before starting the next pack. It is not unusual for a flow to be very light or missed altogether on occasion. If concerned, seek medical advice.

8. Decreased libido
The hormone or hormones in the contraceptive pill can affect sex drive or libido in some people. If decreased libido persists and is bothersome, this should be discussed with a medical provider.

In some cases, the birth control pill can increase libido, for example, by removing concerns about pregnancy and reducing the painful symptoms of menstrual cramping, premenstrual syndrome, endometriosis, and uterine fibroids.

9. Vaginal discharge
Changes in vaginal discharge may occur when taking the pill. This may be an increase or a decrease in vaginal lubrication or a change in the nature of the discharge. If vaginal dryness results, added lubrication can help make sex more comfortable.

These changes are not usually harmful, but alternations in color or odor could indicate an infection. Anyone who is concerned about such changes should speak with their medical provider.

10. Eye changes
Hormonal changes caused by the birth control pill have been linked to a thickening of the cornea in the eyes. Oral contraceptive use has not been associated with a higher risk of eye disease, but it may mean that contact lenses no longer fit comfortably.

Contact lens wearers should consult their ophthalmologist if they experience any changes in vision or lens tolerance during pill use.

Risks
The combined pill can increase the risk of cardiovascular problems, such as blood clots, deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a clot on the lung, a stroke or heart attack.

Birth control pills have also been associated with an increase in blood pressure, benign liver tumors, and some types of cancer.

The pill should not be taken by:

• women who are pregnant
  • smokers over the age of 35 years, or anyone who stopped smoking within the last year and is over 35 years old
  • anyone with obesity
  • those who are taking certain medications
  • anyone who has or has had thrombosis, a stroke, or a heart problem
  • anyone with a close relative who had a blood clot before the age of 45 years
  • people who have severe migraines, especially with an aura as the warning sign
  • anyone who has or had had breast cancer or disease of the liver or gallbladder
  • anyone who has had diabetes for at least 20 years or diabetes with complications
If any of the following occur, the user should see a doctor.

• abdominal or stomach pain
  • chest pain, shortness of breath, or both
  • severe headaches
  • eye problems such as blurred vision or loss of vision
  • swelling or aching in the legs and thighs
  • redness, swelling or pain in the calf or thighs
They may indicate a more serious condition.

Long-term effects
Use of birth-control pills may increase the risk of long-term health problems.

Cardiovascular problems
a-woman-is-clutching-her-chest-in-discomfort.jpg

People with a history of blood clots, heart attacks or stroke are advised not to take the combination birth control pill.
Combination pills can slightly increase the risk of cardiovascular side effects, such as heart attack, stroke, and blood clots. These can all be fatal.

The risk is higher with some pills. A doctor can advise on suitable options.

Anyone who has uncontrolled high blood pressure or a personal or family history of blood clots, heart attack, or stroke should ask their medical provider about alternative methods.

Cancer risk
Female hormones that occur naturally, such as estrogen, are thought to affect the chances of a woman developing some types of cancer. It is therefore possible that using a hormone-based method of birth control could have a similar effect.

Ovarian and endometrial cancer: These appear to be less likely among women who use the pill.

Breast cancer: There appears to be a slightly higher chance of breast cancer developing in women who have recently been using the contraceptive pill, and especially if they started using it during their teenage years. However, after 10 years of not using the pill, the risk appears to be the same as for someone who has never used it.

Other factors may play a role, such as a woman's age at starting puberty and menopause, her age at her first pregnancy, and whether or not she has had children.

Cervical cancer: Long-term use of the pill has been linked to a higher risk of cervical cancer, compared with those who have never used it. However, most types of cervical cancer are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). Whether HPV is linked to the use of oral birth control pills has not yet been confirmed.

Liver cancer: Oral contraceptives have been linked to a higher chance of developing benign liver tumors, but these rarely become cancerous. Some studies have suggested that liver cancer risk is higher after using oral contraceptives for at least 5 years, but other studies have not had the same results.

I think you’re right that it won’t appeal to men & I guess that’s the part the bugs me so much. What do men think we have been doing for years?? We have been voluntarily taking meds that mess with our hormones for years...not to mention all the other side effects.
Hormonal birth control can also have beneficial side effects in some women.

I was responding solely to your comment about men having to rely on a woman's honesty about being on birth control. Again, I'll repeat that no man has to rely on that; there are measures they have at their disposal that are completely within their control. I'm honestly not sure what the rest of this post is conveying - I guess we're just talking past one another. :hyper2:
I think it's because you took my comment to mean something else even when I was pretty explicitly clear about what I was talking about.

I'm not sure where your confusion came into play to be honest:
I can understand that viewpoint but it's probably the same amount of men who believe at the magical moment that the women you are speaking of are on birth control.

My point being is that issue of not getting pregnant wouldn't be confined to women believing men took their birth control given that presently men rely on women being honest about taking birth control at the magical moment.

Perhaps but that doesn't take away what the PP and what I was saying..it's still trusting someone to have taken birth control and it doesn't make it really all that different in that specific respect now that it's a man who could potentially take birth control rather than a woman.

I'm sorry but no where in my statements was I making reference to anything other than physically taking birth control. The thread isn't about other measures of birth control. It's about a man taking something that would be considered birth control just like a woman takes (or has if you consider IUDs, shots, implants, etc). Clearly condoms (including a dental dam) can be used to prevent pregnancy but that wasn't the context in which my conversation was on given what the thread is about.

I think it's because you took my comment to mean something else even when I was pretty explicitly clear about what I was talking about.

I'm not sure where your confusion came into play to be honest:

I'm sorry but no where in my statements was I making reference to anything other than physically taking birth control. The thread isn't about other measures of birth control. It's about a man taking something that would be considered birth control just like a woman takes (or has if you consider IUDs, shots, implants, etc).
Well, here's the thing - you're apparently using the words BIRTH CONTROL to refer only to the pill potentially being tested. I'm probably not the only one that considers any type of contraceptive to be a form of BIRTH CONTROL.

And it would be a man’s choice too if he chose to take it. I’m more commenting on the boohooing about potential side effects. We have dealt with it for years but have few other choices.
So since women's BC has these side effects and we've "dealt with it" men should have to as well?

I get it. No one likes a whiner, period. But they have valid concerns, as do women who are worried about the side effects.

I don't really care either way, but I'm not going to judge men for their opinion on it. I don't judge women on their BC concerns either :confused3

Well, here's the thing - you're apparently using the words BIRTH CONTROL to refer only to the pill potentially being tested. I'm probably not the only one that considers any type of contraceptive to be a form of BIRTH CONTROL.
:confused3 ok I guess but I'm also not the only one who understood what I meant. I'm fairly certain we are all aware that there are other forms of birth control to use including condoms.. Respectfully I didn't realize I needed to rattle off a list of other forms when the thread is about "male birth control pill could be coming soon"

:confused3 ok I guess but I'm also not the only one who understood what I meant. I'm fairly certain we are all aware that there are other forms of birth control to use including condoms.. Respectfully I didn't realize I needed to rattle off a list of other forms when the thread is about "male birth control pill could be coming soon"

I understood you fine

So since women's BC has these side effects and we've "dealt with it" men should have to as well?

I get it. No one likes a whiner, period. But they have valid concerns, as do women who are worried about the side effects.

I don't really care either way, but I'm not going to judge men for their opinion on it. I don't judge women on their BC concerns either :confused3

I'm actually not sure of your point. Women have taking the brunt of birth control forever and a few men are whining over side effects now. So, as per nature and medicine dictates they can either wear condoms, take the man birth control or abstain from sex. That's life.

No, but men should recognize it might be the cost of the benefit of being able to ensure they don’t get anyone pregnant if that’s important to them (if the pill works). So, it’s not just the woman’s responsibility to prevent. They both should or could take responsibility for it one their own end.

Oh come on you know us poor women have had to endure all these side effects so that men dont have to worry about being fathers. Its not like we enjoy the freedom to have sex and not worry about getting pregnant, we do it for the men. Its their turn to suffer all the hormonal effects for us, its only fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter