Massachusetts DVC Owners Group

I did not say to "go by just population density." I was saying you cannot just look at population totals, and that you should consider population density. Most importantly, if you want to get specific, you should be looking at the areas where the deaths occurred to look at the population in those areas, population density, number of available ICU beds, % of population with underlying conditions and community spread -- and probably a few other factors.

MA, for example, spiked early on as part of the initial outbreak of Covid-19, partly due to being an international air travel hub and due to back/forth travel to NY, as well as an early lack of understanding of Covid-19 community spread.

The underlying conditions conversation is also an interesting one to take a look at. I don't know the numbers in MA, but if you compared the US to Sweden when it comes to the prevalence of Diabetes - which is a higher risk factor - you will find that the US is significantly worse.

You do not automatically collect UI in MA when you file. Part of the process of filing includes confirmation with the company that you were not fired; this is partly why there is a couple week delay between when you file and when you start collecting is so the UI department confirms your eligibility and the amount you should receive. If you were fired, companies will inform the UI department as they don't want to pay for it; they will contest it. MA makes it very easy to file your UI claim and easy to collect UI, but that doesn't mean they don't also make it easy for businesses to contest it.

I'm very curious now about this last part. The two men I refered to before as being on UI + 600 both decided to take time off (due to COVID) even though their hands were very much needed at this time when my daughter's employer was experiencing a surge in business due to the same. (9/10 orders were sympathy or get better soon type.) The employer said there was nothing they could do as the boys had not been fired and the rules allow people who feel as though they are in danger to take the time and go on UI. One was a delivery driver, the other who said his goal in life was to become a youtube guru was working isolated in a back room as a designer with no contact with anyone other than the weekly delivery person.

If I may ask, do you own a business in Mass? Key words “through no fault of your own”. All people have to do is state it was no fault of their own. The state has made it very easy to file for UI, they will get paid and the company has to fight to stop it, because the state charges the company for UI.

I was going to respond but @Lorana summed it up perfectly (see bolded).

You do not automatically collect UI in MA when you file. Part of the process of filing includes confirmation with the company that you were not fired; this is partly why there is a couple week delay between when you file and when you start collecting is so the UI department confirms your eligibility and the amount you should receive. If you were fired, companies will inform the UI department as they don't want to pay for it; they will contest it. MA makes it very easy to file your UI claim and easy to collect UI, but that doesn't mean they don't also make it easy for businesses to contest it.

I was going to respond but @Lorana summed it up perfectly (see bolded).

Then how is this possible.

I'm very curious now about this last part. The two men I refered to before as being on UI + 600 both decided to take time off (due to COVID) even though their hands were very much needed at this time when my daughter's employer was experiencing a surge in business due to the same. (9/10 orders were sympathy or get better soon type.) The employer said there was nothing they could do as the boys had not been fired and the rules allow people who feel as though they are in danger to take the time and go on UI. One was a delivery driver, the other who said his goal in life was to become a youtube guru was working isolated in a back room as a designer with no contact with anyone other than the weekly delivery person.
In Massachusetts your only supposed to have only 1 EBT card, but people are caught frequently with multiple, sometimes with 8-10 different ones. When you give things away, people always find a way around to get more and more.

In Massachusetts your only supposed to have only 1 EBT card, but people are caught frequently with multiple, sometimes with 8-10 different ones. When you give things away, people always find a way around to get more and more.

The post that you quoted states exactly how that is possible - the EMPLOYER is making a choice not to treat their refusal to return to work as a firing. UI allows the employer to either approve the claim or deny it. But if the EMPLOYER is allowing people to remain on unemployment after refusing to return to work, that is on the employer and not a result of employees gaming the system.

As far as the EBT card...I'd love to see where you get the info from that shows what you describe is a widespread problem. Do I believe that there are lowlifes who will obtain EBT cards fraudulently? Of course, just like I believe there are people who commit insurance fraud. That doesn't make those people the rule when they are most often the exception.

Last edited:

It's infuriating seeing how just a few will ruin a good thing. Happens in Disney, happens with public service programs.

The post that you quoted states exactly how that is possible - the EMPLOYER is making a choice not to treat their refusal to return to work as a firing. UI allows the employer to either approve the claim or deny it. But if the EMPLOYER is allowing people to remain on unemployment after refusing to return to work, that is on the employer and not a result of employees gaming the system.
The waters (rules) have been muddied a bit by Covid-19 here. Months ago it was said that people could apply for and receive the $600/week amount if they felt they were at risk and being put in danger by their position. I'm not sure if this still stands and how it applied to the root UI itself.

The waters (rules) have been muddied a bit by Covid-19 here. Months ago it was said that people could apply for and receive the $600/week amount if they felt they were at risk and being put in danger by their position. I'm not sure if this still stands and how it applied to the root UI itself.

We live in MA. My husband was on UI when his restaurant had to close, then reopen with a skeleton crew for takeout after March 17. That was his only income, until he got a full time job (unrelated to COVID, he had been applying for jobs for months before March and one of his last applications before shutdown bore fruit). Every week he had to verify on the UI website that he was in communication with his boss and available to work if called back. At any point if he refused to return to work when called, his boss would have been within his rights to let him go rather than allow him to keep claiming. Is it eaay to lie about that online when you're filing your claim? Sure...but the minute the employer disputes it, UI can not only stop your payments but also charge you back for any money they paid out that you weren't technically eligible for.

We live in MA. My husband was on UI when his restaurant had to close, then reopen with a skeleton crew for takeout after March 17. That was his only income, until he got a full time job (unrelated to COVID, he had been applying for jobs for months before March and one of his last applications before shutdown bore fruit). Every week he had to verify on the UI website that he was in communication with his boss and available to work if called back. At any point if he refused to return to work when called, his boss would have been within his rights to let him go rather than allow him to keep claiming. Is it eaay to lie about that online when you're filing your claim? Sure...but the minute the employer disputes it, UI can not only stop your payments but also charge you back for any money they paid out that you weren't technically eligible for.
Now did that apply to the $600/week from the Federal package too? I'm curious if the reason for our huge unemployment numbers are due to this stimulus deal that has expired.

I know 2 college students who 1 - was working part time when Covid hit making probably $100.00 a week and place of employment closed due to Covid Second one had been fired from his job but made more than $5,100.00 in the past year and both were able to file for Unemployment and get the $600.00 a week check SMH

Now did that apply to the $600/week from the Federal package too? I'm curious if the reason for our huge unemployment numbers are due to this stimulus deal that has expired.

Yes. If you weren't eligible for regular UI you weren't eligibile for the extra either. At least in MA they were tied together. what they DID was expand the requirements for being eligible to include businesses that were unable to open or stay fully staffed due to the shutdown, and were just furloughing employees until they could bring them back - but the stipulation to remain eligible was that you had to remain in contact with your employer and return to work when called.

In my husband's case, his restaurant was able to bring people back in for 3-6 hours a week to help run the takeout, which was reported anytime he did actually work. Because it was fewer hours than the norm he was able to continue claiming UI.

I will be going to Disney Nov 2-9th. I am from Mass
Great, we are going the 6th to15th hopefully for sure this time. Did you just book or have you had reservations for a while? There is varying availability for November every day. After cancelling for September and already having a reservation for January, we only have enough points left for OKW or BWV(our home resort) standard view studio. I was able to get OKW for the 9 nights but would rather BWV As we can walk to 2 parks. I was able to piece together 5 nights over the last 3 days. Four more to go.

Great, we are going the 6th to15th hopefully for sure this time. Did you just book or have you had reservations for a while? There is varying availability for November every day. After cancelling for September and already having a reservation for January, we only have enough points left for OKW or BWV(our home resort) standard view studio. I was able to get OKW for the 9 nights but would rather BWV As we can walk to 2 parks. I was able to piece together 5 nights over the last 3 days. Four more to go.
I had the reservation for a while and staying at SSR

We will be staying there in January for the first time. We were not sure about location so we requested grandstand near pool.

We will be staying there in January for the first time. We were not sure about location so we requested grandstand near pool.
I think i stayed there once. Its my home resort. I like closer to check out area.

So I’m super sad but we cancelled our November 2020 trip! We’ll be back in November 2021. My kids are littles and loooove character meals, meet and greets, and parades and fireworks lol so just not for us this year. I am well before my banking window so it’s all good

Once again joining the cancel club. After moving May 2020 trip to Sept., we just canceled that one as well. Will probably wait a bit and re-book something in April 2021. On the + side, we'll have over 300 points available, so we may have to splurge a bit!

My mother just sent me an article about Governor Baker and Massachusetts Covid. Apparently he's creating a Covid Enforcement and Intervention team, which will help enforce current mandates re the virus-like MASKS! I think that's great-our state has a mandate from the governor that everyone must wear a mask, at least in businesses. But who enforces it? No one, so why have the mandate?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter