• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mickey Waffles are BAD now!! 🙁

I honestly thought it was the syrup that changed and not the waffles, because something was off last week when we were there. I think they changed syrup since last time I was there too.
Yeah, they switched to "smuckers natural", and it's also gross! 🤣🤮. But a good waffle could probably save it.

Does anyone know if they also changed the gluten-free waffles? They are (or were) also vegan, which is why I always got them.

Does anyone know if they also changed the gluten-free waffles? They are (or were) also vegan, which is why I always got them.

I have seen reporting elsewhere that the allergy-friendly waffle mix may have been changed at least at some locations. Not necessarily for the better...

SW

I have seen reporting elsewhere that the allergy-friendly waffle mix may have been changed at least at some locations. Not necessarily for the better...

SW
Oh, that is such sad news. I love those waffles. 😢

Oh, that is such sad news. I love those waffles. 😢

Hopefully it is temporary. OTOH, during our December 2019 trip all the allergy waffles we had were somewhat gooey on the inside, so who knows... Still decent-tasting though. But they may have been having waffle issues for a while and covid supply-related issues has compounded it by forcing a change of vendor.

SW

Hopefully it is temporary. OTOH, during our December 2019 trip all the allergy waffles we had were somewhat gooey on the inside, so who knows... Still decent-tasting though. But they may have been having waffle issues for a while and covid supply-related issues has compounded it by forcing a change of vendor.

SW
I don't have experience with those. All I know is I had a few regular mickey waffles (QS breakfast platter and at Cape May) in December 2019 and they were excellent as always. August and September 2020 (Roaring Fork and Chef Mickeys), not so much.

I'm not here to beat them up over if given the difficulty of reopening. I just want them to keep it on their radar so they can fix it as soon as it's possible to do so. If nobody says anything, we could end up with chalk bricks into the foreseeable future.

I am so happy I wasn't the only one experiencing this! I did complain about it though, I just don't know if they listened or not. First time ever I've taken a bite of a mikey waffle and immediately spit it out. Thankful I have the previously linked waffle iron at home and can make them perfectly every time, may have to go that the day we leave on our next trip to make up for not being able to eat them while there.

personally i thought the waffle at sleepy hollow was wonderful! I had the nutella and fruit and my DBF had the spicy chicken.
we both really enjoyed it.

however, what i didn't enjoy was the mickey waffle I had at POP on my last morning two weeks ago.
when we stayed at coronado (pre-covid) i loved that they had a little station for toppings after you got your waffle.
at pop they just give you the three minis in a cardboard box and send you on your way--i sat down poured syrup on it and it immediately started disintegrating in the box. little pieces everywhere.
super sad about it!

I wonder if the bags of mix was purchased pre-covid and have been sitting in a humid Florida warehouse for six months? That would certainly explain the off taste and poor texture, as Golden Malted's mix has a leavening agent in it from the factory. Humidity and leavening agents don't play well together.

I wonder if the bags of mix was purchased pre-covid and have been sitting in a humid Florida warehouse for six months? That would certainly explain the off taste and poor texture, as Golden Malted's mix has a leavening agent in it from the factory. Humidity and leavening agents don't play well together.

Not likely to be an issue with a dry mix like that. Those are shipped in airtight bags and even if the leavening agent "expired", that wouldn't explain crumbly, mealy waffles. They would simply be dense and wouldn't rise.

I but golden malted and it can sit in my cupboard for 6-12 months easy. They are buying something cheap most likely

Dumb question: We know they at least used to use Golden Malted? I've never heard of it before. Is it usually available in stores? (My kids love Mickey waffles, and I'd like to be able to make them at home.)

Dumb question: We know they at least used to use Golden Malted? I've never heard of it before. Is it usually available in stores? (My kids love Mickey waffles, and I'd like to be able to make them at home.)

Pre-covid that is the brand they were using. It is a popular brand that many hotel chains and restaurants use.

I don't know if it is sold to consumers in stores or not - there isn't any indication on their website it is. Golden Malted does sell direct to consumers through their website though: https://www.goldenmalted.com/

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter