Post Pictures of Tent Camping @ FW

Our set up from Oct 2010:
IMG_5001.jpg

Back of the tent:
IMG_3972.jpg

Yes, that's my clothesline with our towels on it. Say what you will. Since my nephew was with me this trip, I refrained from hanging green thingies...
IMG_3973.jpg

Inside:
IMG_3807.jpg

In the lower right corner, you can see the flap that is staked out for ventilation. The fabric of the tent and color of the walls allows lots of light in. Although, it's hard to tell in the above picture because it was shady at the time.

During the day, the tent was cool and breezy with the windows lowered....great place for taking a nap. Unless, of course, you have a 7 year old trying to show you his Halloween candy......
IMG_5008.jpg

And leaving the tent door open......
IMG_5013.jpg

(I don't recommend getting the optional 7 year old door opener.)

But, my favorite part is the skylight.....
IMG_3806.jpg

This thread helped me SO much and I finally can return the favor. We have a ton of photos and I only have a few uploaded so far to Photobucket. I'm writing a trip report (in my siggie) so I'm just uploading as I need them there. I'll post if I get to any more I think might be helpful.

We had site 2035, directly next to a Comfort Station. We had 4 tents and 11 people (many little kids.) It was awesome, and yes you will all fit (if there are babies, too tight if they had been older.)

IMG_4697.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4698.jpg

Us unloading:
IMG_4662.jpg

Beginning to set-up. It took 2 hours from pulling the tents out, to being done. We allotted 4 hours for arriving, set-up, and getting to Wilderness Lodge for dinner. It took 4 hours so that's a good time frame to allow yourselves.
IMG_4658.jpg

Bring on the pictures!

I'm dreaming of making it to the Fort to camp in tent, but logistics-wise, not sure how to make it work (my best times to come are Sep/Oct, but that's more iffy re Hurricanes...., Flying down so limited in what to bring, won't have a car, so don't know about security, yada yada), but slowly working on a game plan for that day!

I see all these electrical cords all over the place: is it possible to actually have the electric post inside a dining shelter, or is it too far out of the way?
Is the water pipe adjacent to that post?

Bring on the pictures!

I'm dreaming of making it to the Fort to camp in tent, but logistics-wise, not sure how to make it work (my best times to come are Sep/Oct, but that's more iffy re Hurricanes...., Flying down so limited in what to bring, won't have a car, so don't know about security, yada yada), but slowly working on a game plan for that day!

I see all these electrical cords all over the place: is it possible to actually have the electric post inside a dining shelter, or is it too far out of the way?
Is the water pipe adjacent to that post?

We've been WDW lots in hurricane season. It does rain. Never had a hurricane, but it rains a bit practically every day. So that certainly would be a consideration. You could ship stuff down there, you could rent a car if you fly. But if you didn't have a car, I wouldn't worry about security. I felt very safe.

As for the cords, it'd be hard to put that pole in a tent. It is off to the side and is huge. We were setting up, it didn't end up looking crazy with the cords. We ended up with 3 cords: one to each parent tent to plug in cell phones. And one to the kitchen tent. And the water is there on the hose. Though I personally didn't use the water it would get things wet if you had that pole in your tent.

We had site 2035, directly next to a Comfort Station. We had 4 tents and 11 people (many little kids.) It was awesome, and yes you will all fit (if there are babies, too tight if they had been older.)

This is one of the newer "premium sites" or whatever the term, right? I haven't been since they put the larger sites in, but my memory is that a regular site would not hold 4 tents and 11 people. I was trying to count your tents, it looks like 3 sleeping tents and 1 gazebo tent, is that right? How was the cost comparison of putting everyone on one site versus splitting up on 2 smaller sites? One trip we had 6 people on one site and they charged extra for each person over 4 that were on the site. What did that look like to your overall charges, or have they ceased that practice?

Site 2035 is a partial site but people can fit quite a bit on their sites depending on how organized and creative they are.

Disney allows 10 people plus infant on each site, they will usually charge additional for each adult (aged 18 and over) when there are more than 2 adults on a site. I can't remember the fee but I think it was $2-$5 per each additional adult per night.

Yup, just like proudmomof4 said, we had 4 adults, and the rest were kids. It was a partial site and cost us $70.00 ($35.00 per family) for the site. They did not charge us extra for kids. I never heard if they would have if it had been 10 adults.

We could have gotten two sites, but we actually wanted one as we wanted to share everything, the food tent, the getting ready, etc. And the 3rd tent had two boys in it, ages 10 & 13. And those are our oldest kids. So we wanted all the kids close to us for safety sake.

It was absolutely perfect for us. But if our kids were even 2 years older, it would have been too tight.

But the 1500 sites, which cost the same as the 2000 loop we were in, are smaller. So we requested the 2000 loop.

In the future, when we need two sites, I'll request 1500 as it's closer to everything. But we really did enjoy our site. No complaints.

And having a food tent was AWESOME! Loved that. Definitely worth the extra walk if you can't fit it on the 1500 loop.

Not sure about premium sites cost. Sorry.

This was our first time, so I'm not really any help except for the 4 days of our own experience.

Here are pictures from our last trip, May 28-May 31. We had site #1832. It was a full hook-up loop. We waited too late to book a partial.

The comfort station was to the left about 4 sites down. We were the last inside site on the loop. Road noise wasn't an issue.
P1020614.jpg

We moved the table into the shelter and had the door of the tent inside as well.
P1020619.jpg

P1020620.jpg

Setting up the AC unit. Hubby found directions online and made one. With the unit and materials, it was about $130
P1020622.jpg

P1020693.jpg

P1020627.jpg

The one day it rained, we just added a tarp and were fine.
P1020692.jpg

P1020690.jpg

We use an AC unit too, but does your tent has the holes already or were they made? DH uses one of the window. Thanks

I know this is a bit off the picture topic, but it's related to tent camping. Even though we own DVC, our family would love to spend Christmas 2012 tent camping at the Fort (no availability for 2011), and I have a few questions. If anyone has ever tent camped over Christmas week, can you tell me how it is? Does everyone decorate? Is it still relaxing even though parks are crazy crowded? Is there room on the sites for a large tent and a screen room? We would be traveling with our adult son with autism, so are the comfort stations fairly close to the sites? The weather in Florida in December doesn't bother us as we live in northeast PA and 65 degrees on Christmas Day is a heatwave! Thanks for any help you all can provide.

We have camped from Christmas thru New Years and it was AWESOME!

There were 4 adults & 4 kids. We had a large tent that we put 2 adults and 2 kids, a 2nd tent where we put 2 adults and 1 kid in and a 3rd tent we called the "kitchen/closet" that we put a twin sized mattress (and the teenager), a small free standing clothing rack for clothes, 2 small fridges, a small table with a microwave and coffee maker on top and our laundry bags and various other things (like plastic bins full of food and coolers.) We also had a EZ up shelter that we put over the picnic table and Christmas TREE!

We purchased an inexpensive 6 foot WHITE tree (since we are amongst all the green trees lol) and decorated tree with colored lights and got a "Lot" of McDonald's happy meal Disney toys that on the drive down (from NY and Texas respectively) tied ribbons to to hang on the tree. We also strung christmas lights from the dining canopy tent to all the other tents which we plugged in each morning before we left the campsite. This gives your tentsite PLENTY of light when you return.

On Christmas Eve "Mickey" stopped by and left small red paper bags on the table for each of the children with a note saying Merry Christmas. The bags had stickers, pencils and candy canes. VERY CUTE! We even made "Christmas Dinner" by putting a spiral ham in a crock pot and brought mashed potatoes, gravy, veggie and dessert from home.

I'd love to do it again one day with grandkids! It was a blast. Message me if you would like more details!

Thanks for the info! My husband looked at me like I was insane when I suggested tent camping in December, but now he's getting interested. Just love Disney at Christmas.

hey.... it appeared that this was one of the bigger sites. We had a 10 X 14 tent and 14 x 14 canopy. The grill was in a weird spot.... atleast we thought so. There was a path behind the site through the trees that made the comfort station easier to get to. All in all... we really liked it and would be very happy if we had it again.

I am so impressed by how y'all tent camp! I had no idea it could be this modern. DH and I have wanted to camp for a while, but I'm not such a good "roughing it" kind of girl and an camper is not in the budget. How did y'all figure out how to camp like this? Any websites you can recommend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter