Private Cabanas at Magic Kingdom: Last Day to Rent One - February 17, 2017

I still can't over that these don't have air conditioning. I'm not sure about sitting in a tent in the Florida heat without AC! :)
They will also be sort of useless during the afternoon storms. I don't think they qualify as something you would want to be sitting in during the daily lightning storms
I guess in the cooler weather they will be better.

Reserved one for our December trip. They are air conditioned, comes with refreshments, fruit, snacks, food delivery, desert, reserved seating for parades, fireworks, and castle light show for 8 people. Crowd forecast is 9 out of 10 so might be nice for a break, really wanted it for the reserved seating plus we get Mickey ears!

I believe a few who have inquired have been told they have A/C and temp control.

Well I guess I am wrong, so it must be worth $650 if you can have somewhere to sit to eat popcorn.

For some people it is and for some it isn't. The point of the matter is, why do people come on these boards and try to decide what others should and should not spend their vacation money on? If it's not worth it to you, don't book it. Yes, if we were going again over Christmas week (on days where phased closures were possible) and we were traveling with extended, multi-generational family members, this cabana would be worth it to us. Not only for a place to sit and eat popcorn (that isn't a fake rock), but for the reserved parade and fireworks viewing and the ability to have CM's get lunch for us (the QS lines during Christmas week are astronomically long).

Last year, over Christmas week, we spent almost the same amount of money for THREE people to do Wild Africa Trek. No one seems up in arms when people "plus" their trips with other extras like tours, hard-ticket parties, etc. I don't see the difference. There are many things Disney offers that aren't "worth it" to us (dessert parties, EMM, etc.), but I certainly wouldn't flame others who feel they are worth it for their families and choose to spend money on them.

The Brazilian Tour Groups and Pop Warner teams are going to love having this place to hang out together!!

At first I said to myself "this is the dumbest idea ever" but the more I think about it, the more I think it sounds like a good idea. We travel with 3 in our party (2 adults and a 13 year old). I can't see us renting it for day for the three of us, but if we were traveling during peak season and with a bigger group, I would certainly consider it. We could avoid going back to the room for a mid-day break, charge our phones, have a snack, maybe take a nap (I could sleep almost anywhere), have a change of clothes that I didn't have to carry around, etc. If I were traveling with an elderly relative or someone who had mobility issues, it might be a really great thing for them.

I'm cheap about a LOT of things, but this might be something that I'd be willing to shell out the money for, and in Epcot, maybe even more so than in MK.

I just want to see photos of where they are and how they look from a distance. The close up pictures that I've seen look kind of ugly. Maybe if they themed them more appropriately for Tomorrowland somehow (maybe make them look like space ships on the outside?) and made them into a fenced compound instead of looking like a FEMA camp, that would be a lot more appealing. I have to imagine that the current look is temporary and that the visual design will change when it becomes more permanent.

Of course I'm one of the (few) people who paid the full price for the three hour extra magical evening thing last April, and I had the most fun in the park that I ever had before.

I can tell you that you cannot see them unless you know what you are looking for. I told my DD16 about these tents, told her where they were located and when we were walking toward them I asked her if she could see them, she said no. I had to point out the hedge and the "roof" of the tents.

Do you have (Or can you point me to) a photo of what they look like from a distance? The only ones I've seen have been very close up.

My issue with these tents and the way that people say they'll use them is that that seem to be very inconvenient. On 'paper' it seems like a good (albeit expensive) option for families with special needs or elderly family members. People get tired or cranky or just need a break? Head over to your private cabana! But ... they'll have to traipse all the way to the corner of Tomorrowland from wherever thay are. It just seems to me to be more of a PITB to have to go to a specific place for your rest/break rather than just incorporating them into your day right when/where thay are needed. Plus you're now paying double for the pleasure of being in the park: once for your 'fun time' and once for your 'down time'.

For some people it is and for some it isn't. The point of the matter is, why do people come on these boards and try to decide what others should and should not spend their vacation money on? If it's not worth it to you, don't book it. Yes, if we were going again over Christmas week (on days where phased closures were possible) and we were traveling with extended, multi-generational family members, this cabana would be worth it to us. Not only for a place to sit and eat popcorn (that isn't a fake rock), but for the reserved parade and fireworks viewing and the ability to have CM's get lunch for us (the QS lines during Christmas week are astronomically long).

Last year, over Christmas week, we spent almost the same amount of money for THREE people to do Wild Africa Trek. No one seems up in arms when people "plus" their trips with other extras like tours, hard-ticket parties, etc. I don't see the difference. There are many things Disney offers that aren't "worth it" to us (dessert parties, EMM, etc.), but I certainly wouldn't flame others who feel they are worth it for their families and choose to spend money on them.

I know this wasn't directed at me as I have no problem with it per se. Its not a fit for my family but I can see where others might find it attractive. That being said what does rub me the wrong way is that Disney seems to more and more look at ways of charging extra to improve guest experiences. They continue to cut cast member training, operating hours, entertainment, etc. All the while they come up with these idea of offering something "magical" that they can charge a premium for them. Again I have no problem with these cabanas but how about Disney focus on improving the core guest experience (or at the very least go back to what it was) rather than offering ways to improve the experience for those that they can charge (and are willing to pay) more money to.

I know this wasn't directed at me as I have no problem with it per se. Its not a fit for my family but I can see where others might find it attractive. That being said what does rub me the wrong way is that Disney seems to more and more look at ways of charging extra to improve guest experiences. They continue to cut cast member training, operating hours, entertainment, etc. All the while they come up with these idea of offering something "magical" that they can charge a premium for them. Again I have no problem with these cabanas but how about Disney focus on improving the core guest experience (or at the very least go back to what it was) rather than offering ways to improve the experience for those that they can charge (and are willing to pay) more money to.

While I agree that guest services has generally gone downhill at WDW and many CM's that we've encountered don't have basic knowledge of the parks and resorts, I'm not sure how expanding Fantasyland, the MK hub, adding the new MK nighttime show, the nighttime experiences at AK, the third track at TSMM, the third theater in Soarin' and the addition of Avatarland, Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land doesn't add to the general guest experience.

While I agree that guest services has generally gone downhill at WDW and many CM's that we've encountered don't have basic knowledge of the parks and resorts, I'm not sure how expanding Fantasyland, the MK hub, adding the new MK nighttime show, the nighttime experiences at AK, the third track at TSMM, the third theater in Soarin' and the addition of Avatarland, Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land doesn't add to the general guest experience.

I think the problem a lot of people have with that list is that it is so little that is new. 3rd theaters really don't add new experiences, just decrease wait times a bit. Heck, you still can't usually get a second FP for those attractions. If you look at how long it took from announcement of New Fantasyland to completion of SWLand TSL, that's not a lot on an ongoing basis. And the new nighttime show at the MK is just a replacement for the other show. And for the foreseeable future, there is no longer a night parade there. It all seems to come with tradeoffs.

Last edited:
Great for people who have this kind of money and see the value in them. But for us 1) We are fairly well off. We are probably in the top 10%. I still don't feel that we could ever afford this with the amount we already spend on a vacation. I still find it crazy that there are people that make that much more than us who can. But once again... great for them! 2) more we rarely sit when we are at the world. I feel like you're losing out on your money's worth if you aren't out there experiencing it! We do go back for a nap mid day. But I don't think these would be an ideal spot for a nap..... to each their own I guess!

Great for people who have this kind of money and see the value in them. But for us 1) We are fairly well off. We are probably in the top 10%. I still don't feel that we could ever afford this with the amount we already spend on a vacation. I still find it crazy that there are people that make that much more than us who can. But once again... great for them! 2) more we rarely sit when we are at the world. I feel like you're losing out on your money's worth if you aren't out there experiencing it! We do go back for a nap mid day. But I don't think these would be an ideal spot for a nap..... to each their own I guess!

Some people stay off-site to save money, some in value resorts, some deluxes, some club level. Some do the dining plan, some TIW, some QS locations, others signature restaurants. Some stay for 4 days, some 6, some 12 and some more.

Disney has something for everybody. :-)

:earsboy: Bill

Do you have (Or can you point me to) a photo of what they look like from a distance? The only ones I've seen have been very close up.

Was over there today, there's at least 2 more behind these.

I believe they could completely hide these over there, but seems they want some visual advertising.

Still not one person seemed to notice them.

20161126_134330.jpg

Agree, but one thing we all have to remember is that the Disney College Program is a HUGE number of the front line CMs that we are asking questions of. Most these students are at Disney 5 months total, with a week of training. Many had never been to Disney before. They likely can only do so much within even their own area let alone know anything about other areas. DD did the program for a year after going her whole life, and told us many come with no personal info about Disney and since they are only there a short time, don't make a huge effort to learn more. It's a great program for Disney and the students, but I think sometimes the Guests miss out on info they need because the situation does not give you access to seasoned CMs.

1) I will bet there is a large number of guests going to WDW in the top 5% who wouldn't even blink at this cost when you compare it to other costs at Disney. That is not much more than a large family's cost at a nice Disney restaurant for one meal, not much more than Dessert Party for 8 ... Many families stay value or offsite, eat breakfast in the room, don't buy snacks, eat QS ... just so they can spend money on special treats like this. All Disney needs is a couple dozen per day that are willing.

2) There are groups who need down time; who have a family member that this could be the answer to a stressful day; who actually enjoy down time; who don't want to travel to their resort for a child to lay down. You can go back to hotel to nap mid-day but unless you are at a MK resort, you lose 1.5-2 hours in travel time alone. My kids were trained to nap anywhere, as I'm sure many can. As the parent with a child with special needs, there were trips when this would have saved a day at the park, worth every penny.

Hear you. but who's to say these highly profitable offerings aren't the cash flow that might bring back some of the things missing in Guest experience.

Say eventually:
6 cabanas
4 parks
$650 each
$150 daily costs
$500 profit
365 days a year

$4.4 million profit annually

Ticket sales alone aren't enough to maintain, let alone expand, the money made from extras is vital.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter